PDA

View Full Version : Wrist vs. Console

utahfish
03-11-2009, 21:43
Any thoughts on which is better, a wrist or a console unit?

navyhmc
03-11-2009, 21:57
The better question is which is best for you? I have used both and find both more than acceptable.

Wrist computers
Pro: Handy, one motion to use, independent of your SPG. Used by most tec divers It won't dangle.

Con: It's more easy to lose if a strap breaks, is out there on your arm flailing around so you can get spikes on your data-this happens to me if I raise my arm up a lot to read it. Also to me at least it's easier to bang it on things. Have to look at 2 different guages for your critical info unless you have a hoseless AI.

Console:
Pro: All your dive critical information in one spot. If on a lanyard it's easy to get to. Harder to lose-and if you do, you'll know it immediately. If tucked close to you, less likely to get banged around. You can have an AI that won't lose a signal. It's part of your gear so it's harder to forget on the boat

Con: If it dangles, it will get damaged. Harder to service the computer-model depending. If you do have AI, the computer fails, your dive is over. It it's a detatchable AI, you can forget it at home (but you'll know immediately when you open the tank valve.

I would look at both and decide what type of diving you do and if you can try them out.

Vercingetorix
03-11-2009, 22:06
I had a Veo 250 computer console with compass and SPG. I did not like that the console dangled, even though it was on a retractor. I moved the Veo 250 computer and compass to the wrist. The SPG is now snap-bolted to my left-hip D-ring.

I prefer the computer on the wrist. You can prevent it from bangin into things by wearing on the inside of the wrist versus outside. It's easier for me to monitor my assent rate as well.

That said...ask yourself the question navymhc asked: what kind of diving do YOU do?

CompuDude
03-11-2009, 22:40
I prefer wrist, by far. No need to worry about securing your console, it's always right there on your wrist. No need to fumble, find, and bring up the console, just lift your arm naturally and glance at your wrist, the same way we've been looking at watches our whole life. Much less danger of damage due to dropping/setting a tank down wrong when the computer is on your wrist... keeps it much safer.

The only downsides to a wrist computer are: Easier to forget it (at home or up on the boat), easier to lose it, and if you need to stick your arm deep into holes or under rocks, they could be damaged.

While I'm shooting photos, I don't have to reach down, grope to find the console, bring it up, and put it back. I just glance slightly to the right at the arm that's already holding the camera in front of me, and my info is right there.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
03-11-2009, 22:42
I have both. I prefer the wrist computer for ascents along a line- leaves one hand to hold the line and one to vent the BC. I also found the console computer to be awkward for my deep stops. Until I started doing deep stops the console computer was just fine for me. If all your ascents are free ascents I don't think it matters.

I might suggest a hockey puck style computer that can be mounted in your console or on your wrist, that way if you decide you don't like it, you can just move it.

Lulubelle
03-11-2009, 22:48
Hi, not sure if the OP is male or female, but some of us ladies have a definite preference for the wrist computers, let's just say that they are far easier for us to see/get to.

Straegen
03-11-2009, 22:59
I think they will both work just fine as others have stated. For us newbies, a console is hard to pass up since we should be checking everything like clock work and that is easier with everything in one place. That said, I was warned that consoles tend to cause new divers to drift a bit more and looking down can often destabilize a diver that doesn't have excellent buoyancy control. Also in low vis, it seems to me that a wrist is easier to frequently get in close for reading. If you move into using cameras and such, it seems the wrist mount would really shine since it more or less frees up a hand.

A double bungee'd wrist computer has very little chance of being lost. I am sure it has happened, but a lot has to go wrong for two pins or two straps to break.

rawalker
03-11-2009, 23:07
The advantage of a wrist computer is that you can use it with any gear whether it be your own gear, a friends, or rental gear. This means you be familiar with it and less prone to make a mistake.
Even if you should opt to purchase a wireless AI computer it will still function (althought without the pressure related functions) when using equipment other than your own.

mrm777
03-12-2009, 01:19
Lots of good reasons for wrist mount...only bad ones I can think of off hand is forgetting to put it on (uh huh...done that), and it's easier for one to "walk off" if you don't keep an eye on it.

Zenagirl
03-12-2009, 07:16
I went from console to wrist, and back to console (simply put my wrist computer on a retractor). My old eyes couldn't quite see the numbers on my wrist, due to a combination of distance and angle. Have no problem seeing the same computer directly in front of me at the same distance though.

FoxHound
03-12-2009, 08:22
i have both, a veo180 console and a mares m2 wrist. I prefer the wrist style (not the M2, way too conservative for me..gonna get a nemo) because its easier to see, can move it to see it. the numbers on the console are small and i dont really like having to look down at it. Also as people have mentioned there is the possibility of leaving it behind. i dont see this as a problem if you have a gear check you do each time you dive.

That being said, its all personal preference, whatever is comfortable for you

MSilvia
03-12-2009, 08:40
My old eyes couldn't quite see the numbers on my wrist, due to a combination of distance and angle. Have no problem seeing the same computer directly in front of me at the same distance though.
I don't understand. Are you saying you find it's easier to get a console in front of you than it is to look at your wrist? When I look at my wrist guages, they're right in front of my face, usually less than 6 inches away.

Straegen
03-12-2009, 09:29
I had the same question... that seemed strange to me as well.

Vercingetorix
03-12-2009, 09:43
+1 to Matt's question.

Another reason I prefer the wrist for my compass, in addition to the computer, is that I can hold the compass in line-of-sight and line-of-travel (about 12 inches from face). I had a difficult time doing that with the console-mounted compass while maintaining a straight course.

When navigating with the compass on the console, the compass was on the opposite side from the computer. So, I was constantly flipping between the compass and computer which required the compass to resettle itself after each flip. This also led to navigational error.

Straegen
03-12-2009, 09:57
Solve the debate... go HUD.

cmburch
03-12-2009, 10:00
I tend to like my console with SPG, compass, and bottom timer/computer with knife on my hose because it is attached when I go SCUBA diving. I have hiked quite a ways down cliffs to discover that I forgot my wrist computer. I have 2 Reg set-ups for SCUBA. One with all of the above and one with only an SPG. My wrist computer has a uwatec compass on the strap. I prefer the console mounted compass for returning to shore - I can monitor depth, direction, and tank pressure pretty easy. Actually the console is what I am use to. I have had the wrist computer with compass for less than a year.

I have a problem with seeing my wrist computer versus my larger display console. And I notice that the viewing angle is easier for me to adjust on the console.

RMur
03-12-2009, 10:01
Ditto the old eyes of Zenagirl. I like to wear my computer on my right wrist/forearm. But, I wear a contact lens prescription that calls for my left contact to help me see up close, and my right contact lens helps me see distances. No problem until I try to reach my right arm far enough across my body to see clearly through my left eye. (Those of you with good vision are blessed)

Wearing the computer on the left arm makes monitoring more difficult while handling the inflator hose.

My console was easier to view - but I still use the wrist mount for other advantages mentioned in earlier posts.

Vercingetorix
03-12-2009, 10:11
Although I don't wear contacts, my left eye is sufficiently bad that I don't even bother with it underwater. For my bad right eye (my "strongest" eye"), I installed a 3+ corrective magnifier in the bottom of the mask lens so I can read my gauges. Otherwise, they'd be blurred.

My computer and compass are on the RIGHT wrist to improve monitoring of both simultaneously when navigating.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
03-12-2009, 12:22
I have never monitored my computer and compass simultaneously- Not sure why I'd need to do that. I hardly look at my computer at all unless ascending or descending or nearing the no-stop time limit.

Like I said before have held on to a line, vented my BC, and monitored my computer depth at the same time. Much easier and pleasant to use a wrist computer for that.

IrishSquid
03-12-2009, 20:16
...Con: ..... is out there on your arm flailing around so you can get spikes on your data-this happens to me if I raise my arm up a lot to read it.

Yeah, I tend to get ascent rate alarms because I raise my arm faster than maybe I should or simultaneously while ascending.

...Another reason I prefer the wrist for my compass, in addition to the computer, is that I can hold the compass in line-of-sight and line-of-travel (about 12 inches from face). I had a difficult time doing that with the console-mounted compass while maintaining a straight course.

When navigating with the compass on the console, the compass was on the opposite side from the computer. So, I was constantly flipping between the compass and computer which required the compass to resettle itself after each flip. This also led to navigational error.
The reason I switched.

MxDiver
03-12-2009, 22:20
I prefer the wrist computer as it sa mentioned it allows to hold on to a line, vent the BC, and monitor the depth at the same time, plus is always at your hand (Well almost) now if HUD ever comes down to the same price range as a wris computer I think I would make the change.

navyhmc
03-12-2009, 22:57
+1 to Matt's question.

Another reason I prefer the wrist for my compass, in addition to the computer, is that I can hold the compass in line-of-sight and line-of-travel (about 12 inches from face). I had a difficult time doing that with the console-mounted compass while maintaining a straight course.

Which is something to consider if getting a console. The Proplus II has the compass on an angle at the top of the screen so it's easy to keep on course while lookin at your readings now and them.

wmcyow
03-23-2009, 07:31
I have to echo what others have said here - I have a console computer - but I wish I had opted for a wrist computer. When you are mulit-tasking its much eaiser to glance at your wrist than have to grab your console to look at it.

fanatique
03-30-2009, 14:11
If anyone is worried about the risk of losing their wrist computer due to strap wear and tear, do consider the zulu/nato/bond type straps. Made of nylon and with a thread-through system, these straps will keep the dive computer on your wrist even if one of the watch bars do break.

MSilvia
03-30-2009, 14:19
If anyone is worried about the risk of losing their wrist computer due to strap wear and tear, do consider the zulu/nato/bond type straps.
If you have a wrist "puck", consider redundant bungee cords. If one breaks, the other will hold it.

MxDiver
03-30-2009, 14:22
I use one of these (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=QRWL2) ones minus the clip threaded in the buckle of the strap, that way if the strap breaks it will dangle from it.

segundo3000gt
04-17-2009, 11:29
I've got a wrist mounted Oceanic VT3 and I love it. I went right from analog gauges to air integrated wrist mount. I like that at any point I can just look at my wrist like I'm looking at a watch and get all of the information I need.

fire diver
04-17-2009, 13:15
I moved to a wrist mounted computer and compas a couple years ago and love it. It is so much easier to use on the wrist.

The SPG doesn't get looked at very much, but the computer can get looked at a lot depending on the diving I am doing.

clararhb
04-17-2009, 13:21
My vote is for the wrist mount. I have tried both and the wrist just seems easier. You can also turn it so that you can see your depth and vent your BC on ascent.

gee
04-17-2009, 19:44
My first computer was wrist mounted. I added an air integrated computer and now dive with both. I do like the integrated for the tank info but find myself looking more at the wrist for time & depth.

mmakay
04-21-2009, 00:50
I just wanted to to put in a contrary vote. The Aeris AI is a fantastic computer and I have never wished it were wrist mounted. Because of the angle, I clip it off to a chest d-ring, and it's always nice and streamlined. I just tip it up and can see everything at once ... very similar motion to looking at your wrist.

BubblesMcCoy
04-21-2009, 07:57
Personally I like my wristmount. It's nice to have my desat and time to fly handy during surface intervals.

cyclone3565
04-21-2009, 15:08
Wristmount all the way.

mcr0112
04-21-2009, 15:35
I have geo in a wrist mount. as a back up I put my aeris in a holder that clamps to a hose. ST sells the holder. I like old syle gauges and refuse to give them up.

navyscuba8
05-24-2009, 06:06
Wrist Depth Gauge of-course. Think about it Sir, you can still snorkel at up to 30 Feet if your good at clearing with a wrist gauge. Can not with on-board computer. Unless you remove the gauge of-course and then where would we put. in our pant's. A Wrist Analog Gauge that u-wind's itself internally is my choice. No computer's, no electrical problem's underwater and at the same time you free up a hose and a gauge. I even put my thermostat and compass on my watch band which eliminate's every SCUBA gauge connected to the Primary except the Pressure gauge. Again Analog.

cruzan
05-24-2009, 06:17
Wrist, on safety stops it's easier to see and less cumbersome to carry with you to download info. (unless you have a detachable console unit)

navyhmc
05-24-2009, 07:17
My primary is a Geo on my wrist and the back up so to speak is a ProPlusII on a QD hose. The Geo down loads faster and easier. Depending on the task at hand, I use both with some frequency. Since I have a compass on the PPII, if I'm running a compass course, the PPII is right there. For cruising/ascending/descending, the Geo is easier to have at hand so to speak.