Congrats, lady.:smiley32::smiley32:

Now...onto Grand Master Spammer.

...or at least Shark! :smiley36:

unclepooty
03-12-2009, 20:30
Yee Haw!

scubadiver888
03-12-2009, 21:17
Congrats CamaroChick. I still have a bit to go. Cool thing is I'm actually learning stuff and approaching the 250 mark by asking questions!

hychang
03-12-2009, 22:11
Congrats to you CamaroChick. I got a new wetsuit as well after I hit the magical 250.

On another note, you're right about not wanting to go back to Millbrook after diving in the Bahamas!! It was really cool having visibility and something to see versus... However, it's close and the price is right to keep in practice.

CamaroChick
03-13-2009, 07:03
Congrats to you CamaroChick. I got a new wetsuit as well after I hit the magical 250.

On another note, you're right about not wanting to go back to Millbrook after diving in the Bahamas!! It was really cool having visibility and something to see versus... However, it's close and the price is right to keep in practice.

Glad you enjoyed the Bahamas! They couldn't pay me to set fin in Millbrook ever again... I will continue to use the indoor heated pool near my LDS for practice :smiley20:

scubadiver888
03-13-2009, 07:27

I started diving in the Caribbean and started diving up north last year. Everyone made it sounds so horrible that I actually didn't find it that bad. Okay so it was 45F instead of 80F and viz was 5' instead of 50' but I still liked it.

Guy I worked with refuses to go diving in the Caribbean. He is afraid he'll like it so much he won't be able to dive up here. :smilie39:

mm_dm
03-13-2009, 07:28
Yippie!! Time for that new wetsuit! :clap:

Congratulations! What wetsuit are you looking at buying?

CamaroChick
03-13-2009, 09:06
I'm going to try the Mares Trilastic 5-4-3. Hopefully it will fit well, otherwise I'll go back to a Henderson Thermoprene 5 mil l/s shorty... in a size down from the last one I had :smiley4:

Heavy D
03-13-2009, 10:56
Congrats. I only have 60 or so to go as of right now.

I haven't been to the bahamas, but my OW was in San Carlos, Mexico and then I didn't dive for quite a while after that. The way that I look at it now is that ANY diving is better than NO diving.

scubadiver888
03-13-2009, 10:58
I'm going to try the Mares Trilastic 5-4-3. Hopefully it will fit well, otherwise I'll go back to a Henderson Thermoprene 5 mil l/s shorty... in a size down from the last one I had :smiley4:
Do you dive Maryland in a 5mm? Or is this something you use when you go south?

CamaroChick
03-13-2009, 11:06

No MD diving for me - brrrr! This will be for the Caribbean - Little Cayman in a couple months!! I know a 5mil is a bit much, but I just get soooo cold, even in 80 degree water. Not much meat on my bones :smiley2:

Splitlip
03-13-2009, 11:09
It has been so long ago for me, I can't remember. How much $$ is the GC for shark?

Congrats, lady.:smiley32::smiley32:

Now...onto Grand Master Spammer.

...or at least Shark! :smiley36:

scubadiver888
03-13-2009, 11:32

No MD diving for me - brrrr! This will be for the Caribbean - Little Cayman in a couple months!! I know a 5mil is a bit much, but I just get soooo cold, even in 80 degree water. Not much meat on my bones :smiley2:
I've lost 50lbs over the past few years. I used to dive skin in the Caribbean. Last year I dove 3mm and was cold.

When you mentioned 5mm and I saw Maryland I was thinking you must be of hardier stock then me. I'm diving 7mm with a 7mm tunic this summer and I'm worried it won't be enough. :smiley5:

Byte Me
03-13-2009, 13:35
Just hit my 250th and used it immediately for a Fusion drysuit. Can't wait to try it out. Congrat Camarochick!

GC is $50.

heydn62
03-24-2009, 13:56
All the things I thought I would get with my $50, I've decided I couldn't wait and I bought them. Now that I'm getting close I don't know what to spend it on. (and NO you can't have it) :smiley22:

shawnwill36
03-25-2009, 07:29
i have about 10 left. im thinking about a compass or maybe some pleit toe fins. its hard to decide. im sure i will end up getting both and just paying for the rest

heydn62
03-25-2009, 11:20
I was going to get a BCD, but couldn't wait and got a decent one. Then I was going to get a carry-on bag, but decided I needed that before my next trip, so I got that. Then I decided I wanted a computer - I've got one on the way right now. I had thought about maybe a compass as well, or maybe upgrade my son's equipment.

Tough decisions. :smiley20:

mksmith713
03-26-2009, 07:11
I still have a few to go but I could use a new spg...........:)

Congrats Camaro.
Also...looking forward to meeting you sometime this summer....since we are local.
I've been trying to avoid local diving like the plague but...........the economy is crappy and flying to Lauderdale for long weekends isn't high on my list of things to spend hard earned $$$ on right now....
I guess it's off to Guppy or Millbrook or wherever......

scubadiver888
03-26-2009, 10:51
mksmith713, you never dived local? I finally gave up Caribbean diving last year. MD is probably a more challenging than Lake Ontario but diving locally has really pushed me to become a better diver.

fanatique
03-27-2009, 10:07
Congrats Camaro. Still a long way off myself, but working towards that magical number!

thor
03-27-2009, 11:01
Congrats Camaro. Still a long way off myself, but working towards that magical number!

Seriuosly fanatique. You don't have to hit 250 today. How many threads did you start today? Sheeesh.

fanatique
03-29-2009, 09:21
Feel free to check around. The only thread I started was a pertinent one about dive computers. What's your beef, anyway? Is saying congratulations a crime now?

scubadiver888
03-29-2009, 10:25
Feel free to check around. The only thread I started was a pertinent one about dive computers. What's your beef, anyway? Is saying congratulations a crime now?
fanatique,

I couldn't help but notice how much you have been posting in the last few days. This is what it looks like from my perspective (and I would guess from thor's perspective).

If a user logs on and checks New Posts they will see dozens of posts from you. It really looks like you are just trying to up your post count. The obvious reason is to get to 250 for the $50 GC.

I think I post a lot; I have a lot of questions and I'm learning a lot. I'd like to think what I post occasionally results in some interesting and informative conversations. I know I've learned a lot about cylinders and I'm now getting to a point where I think I'm half way to knowing what I want in a BP/W.

My daily post count is, on average 0.73. I see thor posting regularly. Thor's post rate is 1.77. Other users like heydn62 are familiar names and heydn62's post rate is 0.70. Someone like Rainer posts a LOT but what he posts stimulates conversation and he has given me some great information. His post rate is 2.61.

Your post rate is 4.43. That is pretty high. Additionally, look at your post rate for the past 5 days:

March 28: 39
March 27: 33
March 26: 0 (you had a day off)
March 25: 28
March 24: 19

In the past 5 days your post rate is 23.8. So from other people's perspective it really looks like you are just trying to up your post count.

Personally, I wasn't going to say anything. Since thor brought it up I figured I'd throw up two cents in. If you are not just trying to up your post count you might want to rethink how much you are posting. Don't reply to threads which have been dead for weeks. Think about whether or not your post is adding anything to the conversation. That is, is there something someone can respond to in your post? Or does your post add value to the person you are address?

Finally, I almost never notice when someone is posting just to up their post count. I don't read every thread and sometimes miss a lot of the messages. Only once has someone been replying to so many threads that I could help but notice they were posting a lot.

thor,

If fanatique is just trying to up the post count, he/she is at 232 postings. At this rate, one more day and fanatique will have passed the 250 mark and will quit posting. In other words, the issue would have gone away on its own.

mm2002
03-29-2009, 10:44
If fanatique is just trying to up the post count, he/she is at 232 postings. At this rate, one more day and fanatique will have passed the 250 mark and will quit posting. In other words, the issue would have gone away on its own.

Yep, if it's an issue it will correct itself. I find it very interesting to see who stays and becomes part of the "family" after they hit the 250 mark. If fanatique stays around, that's fine too. I suppose it's never easy being the new fish in the tank. :smiley36:

scubadiver888
03-29-2009, 10:58

Yep, if it's an issue it will correct itself. I find it very interesting to see who stays and becomes part of the "family" after they hit the 250 mark. If fanatique stays around, that's fine too. I suppose it's never easy being the new fish in the tank. :smiley36:

I remember being a dorky kid who just wanted to fit in and became that annoying kid who people wanted to avoid. I've worked my way up to that dorky adult who would like it if I could fit in but occasionally the guy people want to avoid.

The sad part is I now know enough in life to recognize when I've been annoying but I'm still a nerd. Its hard not to be a nerd :smiley36:.

I never notice the people who don't hang around. I always notice the people who do stick around.

fanatique
03-29-2009, 15:03
Well scubadiver888, I'm glad that riding the proverbial critical wave is helping you inch ever closer to the 250 post mark. I'm sure every 7 of your posts in this thread alone were all plenty insightful. Cheers, mate. :)

Splitlip
03-29-2009, 15:26
fanatique,

I couldn't help but notice how much you have been posting in the last few days. This is what it looks like from my perspective (and I would guess from thor's perspective).

If a user logs on and checks New Posts they will see dozens of posts from you. It really looks like you are just trying to up your post count. The obvious reason is to get to 250 for the $50 GC.

I think I post a lot; I have a lot of questions and I'm learning a lot. I'd like to think what I post occasionally results in some interesting and informative conversations. I know I've learned a lot about cylinders and I'm now getting to a point where I think I'm half way to knowing what I want in a BP/W.

My daily post count is, on average 0.73. I see thor posting regularly. Thor's post rate is 1.77. Other users like heydn62 are familiar names and heydn62's post rate is 0.70. Someone like Rainer posts a LOT but what he posts stimulates conversation and he has given me some great information. His post rate is 2.61.

Your post rate is 4.43. That is pretty high. Additionally, look at your post rate for the past 5 days:

March 28: 39
March 27: 33
March 26: 0 (you had a day off)
March 25: 28
March 24: 19

In the past 5 days your post rate is 23.8. So from other people's perspective it really looks like you are just trying to up your post count.

Personally, I wasn't going to say anything. Since thor brought it up I figured I'd throw up two cents in. If you are not just trying to up your post count you might want to rethink how much you are posting. Don't reply to threads which have been dead for weeks. Think about whether or not your post is adding anything to the conversation. That is, is there something someone can respond to in your post? Or does your post add value to the person you are address?

Finally, I almost never notice when someone is posting just to up their post count. I don't read every thread and sometimes miss a lot of the messages. Only once has someone been replying to so many threads that I could help but notice they were posting a lot.

thor,

I see your point. :smilie39:
(Grand Master Spammer is within my reach. That $500.00 GC is gonna get me the new Nemo Wide computer.)

LOL. Just a joke fanatique. Fifty bucks is it.

scubadiver888
03-29-2009, 20:22
Well scubadiver888, I'm glad that riding the proverbial critical wave is helping you inch ever closer to the 250 post mark. I'm sure every 7 of your posts in this thread alone were all plenty insightful. Cheers, mate. :)

You put a smiley face but the tone of your posting sounds a little bitter. I'm sorry if my posting offended you. I was just trying to point out how you were coming across to myself, thor and probably a few other people.

Splitlip
03-29-2009, 21:15
New forum rules. No one may post until he or she has 250 posts! :)

Oh, wait.....

Splitlip
03-29-2009, 21:17
Looky, looky...32 posts and I am a GMS. :)

mike_s
03-31-2009, 16:36

Now that you've hit 250 posts and in theory qualify for the gift card, will you STOP digging up threads that are months old just to add to your post count?

Tully Mars
03-31-2009, 19:27

At the risk of sounding stoopid... what's a GMS?

reactive
03-31-2009, 20:13

At the risk of sounding stoopid... what's a GMS?
Grand Master Spammer

reactive
03-31-2009, 20:14

Now that you've hit 250 posts and in theory qualify for the gift card, will you STOP digging up threads that are months old just to add to your post count?

LOL banned at 2 posts from the goal.

Tully Mars
03-31-2009, 20:25

I really didn't care, was just ignoring his/her post anyway. But two posts away:smilie39::smilie39::smiley31::smilie39::smile y31::smilie39:

reactive
03-31-2009, 20:28
One might almost think it was planned. lol Get ready for the next account though, as I'm sure its coming.

Tully Mars
03-31-2009, 20:33
they can and probably did ban his/her IP addy.

mike_s
03-31-2009, 22:28

I really didn't care, was just ignoring his/her post anyway. But two posts away:smilie39::smilie39::smiley31::smilie39::smile y31::smilie39:

:smiley20: :smilie39:

Actually he/she/it had 250 post earlier today. (and they weren't banned. they posted a crap load today).

They must have deleted their posts (at least 2) and banned them.

This person bascially dug up any old thread in a forum and gave a lame no substance reply to it.

In fact I think someone started a poll/thread last week about their post doing this... I guess the mods deleted it... :smiley2:

Anway, I'm glad. They provided no benefit to others here. It's clear they were either "trolling" or just trying to get a $50 gift card only.

reactive
04-01-2009, 00:29
Anway, I'm glad. They provided no benefit to others here. It's clear they were either "trolling" or just trying to get a $50 gift card only.

I agree. It sucks that some people join strictly to take advantage of the only dive forum that takes care of us for contributing normally to the dive community with advice, tips & tricks, classified section and pure entertainment.

Lulubelle
04-01-2009, 17:25
Interesting to me to see what behaviors get folks banned from the forum (so happy I will not have to plow through all of those long dead threads anymore) and even more interesting which ones do not (behaviors far more egregious).

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
04-01-2009, 18:22
Interesting to me to see what behaviors get folks banned from the forum (so happy I will not have to plow through all of those long dead threads anymore) and even more interesting which ones do not (behaviors far more egregious).

So fanatique was banned for being irritating and trying to game the system but ***** wasn't banned for being a total ******* ******* and hurling abusive comments at people.

TANJ!

mike_s
04-01-2009, 22:38

I think you'll find that this forum is much more allowing of posters because the posters here don't seem to cause much trouble as compared to other boards....

I think bannings here are pretty rare. I can think of only 1 or 2 other people here that have been banned a while back....

So fanatique was banned for being irritating and trying to game the system but ***** wasn't banned for being a total ******* ******* and hurling abusive comments at people.

TANJ!

Well we don't know the "whole story" either. He might have gotten some PM's from moderators for example asking him to quick posting like he was reviving old threads. then those PM's could have turned ugly and abusive.

He got at least one post by a mod asking him not to do it. (that I saw).

Officially he could also be considered a troll because he kept posting with irrelevent information on every dead thread out there and not providing any value to threads. I haven't read the TOS in a while, but I'm sure that "troll activity" is not allowed. (ok... I admit it... I've never read the TOS here.... :smilie39:)

regardless, I'm sure there was more to this than what we are seeing. (for example the deleted the thread about him.... either that or I can't find it anymore).

:smilie40:

Lulubelle
04-01-2009, 23:05
then those PM's could have turned ugly and abusive.

I can assure you that being ugly and abusive does NOT get folks banned from this forum. Sad, but true. At least in my experience.

mike_s
04-01-2009, 23:08
then those PM's could have turned ugly and abusive.

I can assure you that being ugly and abusive does NOT get folks banned from this forum. Sad, but true. At least in my experience.

I know of one person that their heated PM's got them banned from this forum. (that was told to me by both parties (the person banned) and a mod.)

like I said though with fantianque (or however the ef' you spell his name), I'm sure there is more to the story...

Lulubelle
04-01-2009, 23:17
I know of one person that their heated PM's got them banned from this forum. (that was told to me by both parties (the person banned) and a mod.)

I guess it depends on who the abusive behavior is levied upon.

clayton
04-04-2009, 21:33
Always remember that even PM'S can be read by admin in all sites so keep it clean and friendly.Want to flame or belittle someone do it on msn.

Tully Mars
04-05-2009, 06:48

Seems like a pretty friendly site, I haven't seen much in the way of neg. comments.

Maybe you just get a lot of flak for that tar Hells avatar?:smilie39:

Tully Mars
04-05-2009, 06:51
like I said though with fantianque (or however the ef' you spell his name), I'm sure there is more to the story...

Why is there more to the story? The person was trying to game it. They rarely posted info for others and spent a mass amount of time try to get 250 posts so they could get the GC. I mean most of the posts made it clear they didn't even read the comments above them.

I find it funny they pulled the plug right at 248.

Lulubelle
04-05-2009, 07:46

Seems like a pretty friendly site, I haven't seen much in the way of neg. comments.

Nah, no one has ever mentioned the Tar Heel avatar, but I am just checking this morning!:smiley32:

I won't give the situation life by spreading the particulars, but there have been some behaviors far more egregious than gaming the generosity of ST in giving a 50 dollar giftcard for 250 posts.

Good that clayton reminded everyone that PMs, chat, posts, everything, can be read and will if unacceptable behaviors occur.

din
04-05-2009, 09:14

Nah, no one has ever mentioned the Tar Heel avatar, but I am just checking this morning!:smiley32:

I won't give the situation life by spreading the particulars, but there have been some behaviors far more egregious than gaming the generosity of ST in giving a 50 dollar giftcard for 250 posts.

Good that clayton reminded everyone that PMs, chat, posts, everything, can be read and will if unacceptable behaviors occur.

oh man, now everybody's gonna know I asked you to prom, lu!

mike_s
04-05-2009, 13:59

Why is there more to the story? The person was trying to game it. They rarely posted info for others and spent a mass amount of time try to get 250 posts so they could get the GC. I mean most of the posts made it clear they didn't even read the comments above them.

I find it funny they pulled the plug right at 248.

They actually made it to 250 posts...

at least 2 posts were deleted. Not sure why.

regardless..... time for this thread to move past this poster being discussed and on towards other things. :D

Travelnsj
04-05-2009, 23:03

So how are the Tar heels doing?....I really do not follow since USC and UCLA were sent home:smiley13:

Lulubelle
04-06-2009, 08:28

oh man, now everybody's gonna know I asked you to prom, lu!

But I said yes, din, so no shame in that.

So how are the Tar heels doing?....I really do not follow since USC and UCLA were sent home:smiley13:

You are kidding, right? Turn on your TV tonight.

Travelnsj
04-06-2009, 09:25

I do not think it is covered on the west coast since SDSU, UCLA or USC are not involved:smiley13:

chinacat46
04-06-2009, 09:37

I do not think it is covered on the west coast since SDSU, UCLA or USC are not involved:smiley13:

Me thinks you are full of it.:smilie39:

mm2002
04-06-2009, 19:05
This thread just confuses me. I think I'll go check out the used gear for sale.

kat
04-06-2009, 22:46
This thread does cover a lot of miscelaneous what-nots.

shawnwill36
05-22-2009, 09:34
man it has taken me 6 months to set the 250. this is actually my 250th post so im about to get a new set of split fins. so if your reading this larry go ahead and send me gift certificate. i will shoot you an email in a day or so

mm2002
05-22-2009, 18:26
man it has taken me 6 months to set the 250. this is actually my 250th post so im about to get a new set of split fins. so if your reading this larry go ahead and send me gift certificate. i will shoot you an email in a day or so

So you just used this wonderful forum to get a cheap deal on a set of splits?
:smilie39: After you get the fins, you're still gonna hang out aren't ya? I did.

Coastie6
05-22-2009, 22:10
Can't wait to be there myself, not sure what I'll be wanting by then though. And yes, I plan to hang out after.

UofTOrange
05-23-2009, 05:26
Can't wait to be there myself, not sure what I'll be wanting by then though. And yes, I plan to hang out after.

Same here. You start out think "Just 250" then actually like what you see so it's easy to hang around.

navyhmc
05-23-2009, 05:38

Same here. You start out think "Just 250" then actually like what you see so it's easy to hang around.

Right..after 2500, I'm still enjoying it.

Coastie6
05-23-2009, 06:41

Some good information, comic relief and camaraderie here. ST has provided a great networking tool. I'm sure it's proven valuable for ST's marketing too. The gift certificates and discount are an outstanding bonus for members!

UofTOrange
05-23-2009, 10:56

You know you aren't getting $500 for that; right? :smiley2:

mm2002
05-23-2009, 17:54

Wow, I just noticed you had over 2500 posts! Man, you really need to get out and dive more. :smiley36:
I'd say that anyone who actually goes diving will never have over 2500 posts on some silly internet forum. Post away dude.....I'm going diving in the morning.

mocepts
06-22-2009, 09:41
Finally! It only took me a year and 1/2, but I'm finally a Grouper!

:comic11::banana::jam2::billdance::chickendance::p arty:

chinacat46
06-22-2009, 09:51
Nice visuals. Congrats too!

Darthwader
06-23-2009, 07:32

Some good information, comic relief and camaraderie here. ST has provided a great networking tool. I'm sure it's proven valuable for ST's marketing too. The gift certificates and discount are an outstanding bonus for members!
I forgot about the membership discount actually. but I do need to get my 250th post so I can afford those apollo bios!:smiley2:

Darthwader
06-23-2009, 07:34

I forgot about the membership discount actually. but I do need to get my 250th post so I can afford those apollo bios!:smiley2:

Oh, and one other thing. I'm morally opposed to padding my posts so you'll never see a useless posting from me. . . :grinno:

Lone Frogman
06-23-2009, 16:07
I'm posting to see what my post count is. I know I'm get close to the 250.

Lone Frogman
06-23-2009, 16:09
Mmmmm I'm getting closer.

navyhmc
06-23-2009, 16:09
I'm posting to see what my post count is. I know I'm get close to the 250.

But does posting to post to see your post count, well count? :smiley36:

Lone Frogman
06-23-2009, 16:18
It looks like it did. LOL
I don't even remember what it was I was going to buy.

Splitlip
06-23-2009, 17:44

Oh, and one other thing. I'm morally opposed to padding my posts so you'll never see a useless posting from me. . . :grinno:

:smilie39: You're gonna fit right in.

Chilkie
06-23-2009, 23:26
I've got a long way to go until I get to 250...but it certainly has been both informative and entertaining working my way there.

Recon
06-24-2009, 00:00
I am pretty sure that Larry disabled post count increase in this thread, as that would help to "pad" peoples stats. Which is not the point of posting, most forums users post for knowledge transfers and questions, then you have your forum trolls.... which suck... and then once in a blue moon, a troll speaks and it sucks worse lol, then there are lurkers, those who NEVER post, but always read.

~Recon

navyhmc
06-24-2009, 03:26
Let's see...

ETA: Nope, post count still works for this thread.

mike_s
06-30-2009, 10:49
the post count might still work for this thread, but I think they give a 'quick review of peoples posts' before they hand out the gift cards just to make sure people aren't pumping up posts just for that reason.

there was one person for example that got on the board and replied to about every post he could find, even ones months old, just to bump his post count. they cut him loose.

navyhmc
06-30-2009, 14:57
Well, that and he was not only more than a bit anoyying, he also was rude, condensending and crass. It wasn't just his posting in every thread and resurrecting 2 yo threads.

Which is one definite reason I enjoy the forum-it's very friendly.

chilly willy
06-30-2009, 15:10
I just got to spend my $50 at the store today, I always enjoy getting to Dallas with extra time on my hands as I get to visit the great people at ST. I much prefer the ST shop to the local shops in my area, although I still throw a few crumbs their way, the inventory is awsome and Joe goes way out of his way to give a good deal.

Splitlip
06-30-2009, 18:45
Wonder what happened to camarochick. Hope she is ok. Have not seen heard from her since this thread 3 months ago.

Oh, wait....

Splitlip
06-30-2009, 18:49
and for that matter, where the hell has BouzoukiJoe gone? He always had a lot to contribute and was great fun.
Been over a month.