PDA

View Full Version : Finally have tanks!

ColdPass
03-12-2009, 16:38
I bought a couple of used AL80s this last weekend, and am in the process of getting new vis and hydro. I should have bought tanks long ago. I live on a small lake, and it's no Flower Gardens trip or anything, but it's still a quick way to get wet.

I'm pleased that the Vis/Hydro/Fill at my LDS is only $38. That seems pretty cheap for the service.

It was a hard call not to buy a HP100, since the guy who sold me the AL80s had a couple of those he was parting with too, but I couldn't justify the cost difference for the relatively shallow diving I'll be using these for in the back yard (~30'). Plus my SCR isn't too bad, so they should last long enough.

Anyway, I'm happy now that I have enough gear to dive without renting anything. I'd still like a pony bottle, newer regs, more tanks, good shears..... The list just doesn't stop, does it.

Rainer
03-12-2009, 16:40
Congrats!

texdiveguy
03-12-2009, 16:41
Cool....enjoy!!!!

ReefHound
03-12-2009, 16:48
The gear wishlist only gets longer no matter how much gear you buy.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
03-12-2009, 16:53
I do instabuddies a lot (too much) and I have found that those who own their own tanks are usually good buddies even if they are less inexperienced. I think it demonstrates a commitment to diving that carries over into their behavior in the water.

Congrats!

03-12-2009, 16:57

Amen. Tanks and regulators tend to multiply. The light you have is never good enough. Etc. Etc. Then you start selling it all off to buy a rebreather. Then you die. It's the circle of life- diver style. :smiley2:

scubadiver888
03-12-2009, 21:19
Don't tell my wife. I just figured this out but I'm hoping she doesn't.

Funny how what you absolutely need changes once you have everything you used to absolutely need. :smiley36:

ektess1
03-12-2009, 23:07
Congratulations on the tanks.
But, the others are correct. The list never gets smaller. Even though you have everything that you ever thought you would need or want, you will want other items.
I still have not got that concept through my wife's head.

Rainer
03-12-2009, 23:12
What are you guys all talking about?

My list constantly gets smaller. There are less than a handful of items I have any interest in acquiring at this point.

That said, I do have a fair amount of gear...

underh2o
03-12-2009, 23:27
congrats with your purchase. future reference steels( that pass) are a great investment.. several reasons:
1> steel hold 3500psi compared to 3000psi
2>+ and - bouyancy. steels weigh - when empty while aluminums go +. in return with al you must purchase extra weight and dive to prevent uncontrolable accent. also, if you decide later to go doubles this weight factor doubles.
you mentioned price weights now cost $4.50/lb for soft weights

but, enough busting your balls. good job, a great place to start if you ever decide go to steels you now have stage bottles. like Joe said, earlier this truly shows a committed diver. walking into lsd every time to rent tanks gets time consuming. with your tanks any time you want to get wet .... take the plunge. welcome to the new world of diving with YOUR own gear ...it only gets worse..but it is worth it.
:smiley31:

ektess1
03-12-2009, 23:57

My list constantly gets smaller. There are less than a handful of items I have any interest in acquiring at this point.

Yea, but I bet that the items on the list are much more expencive.
People ask me what they can get me as gifts. I tell them that what I have I could afford. What I want they can't afford.

Rainer
03-13-2009, 00:02

People ask me what they can get me as gifts. I tell them that what I have I could afford. What I want they can't afford.

Nope. I mean it, at some point you realize you have enough gear for the dives you're doing or planning to do in the near future.

I don't need any more cylinders, regs, lights, or even a scooter. I'm good.

Just interested in diving, not making "want lists".

That said, it did take a few years to get my gear in order.

underh2o
03-13-2009, 00:09
i would have to agree w/ that. sometimes our wants are more than our needs. we all had to start somewhere. but we first bought all this gadgets and things that were nice. then realize after several hundred dives that frills not necessary. we now dive w/ what we need. extra's stay at home collecting dust or in dive box.

ektess1
03-13-2009, 00:33
As my old economics professor said, 'it is the nature of man to have unfullfiled wsnts, It is what drives the economh.'

CFDAlden
03-13-2009, 01:58
My problem is the upgrade path. I shoulda started at the top of the food chain. :)

Got a AL 80, the decided 2 would be better, for the 2 tank charters. Now that I have 2, I'm thinking 2 HP100's would be better. :)

Got my drysuit, so now I'm thinking of dumping my Balance BC for a BP/W setup.

I'm sure soon I'll convince my self that my regs need upgrading for some reason.

03-13-2009, 07:15
My wish list has gotten shorter, but I keep adding things, so that it never end.

I have 2 sets of steel tanks, I want one more. I have one stage bottle- I want a couple more. I have a 10W HID, I want a 21W LED. I want a good backup light. An analyzer would be good to have. I just bought another reg yesterday- I think I am done with regs for a while.

So with me the list has gotten shorter, but it just hasn't ended.

scubadiver888
03-13-2009, 07:43

Nope. I mean it, at some point you realize you have enough gear for the dives you're doing or planning to do in the near future.

I'm only one year in on buying gear so I guess it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It is good to know that at some point I'll have all I need... then I'll need to spend money on dive trips :smiley36:.

scubadiver888
03-13-2009, 07:49
My problem is the upgrade path. I shoulda started at the top of the food chain. :)

Got a AL 80, the decided 2 would be better, for the 2 tank charters. Now that I have 2, I'm thinking 2 HP100's would be better. :)

Got my drysuit, so now I'm thinking of dumping my Balance BC for a BP/W setup.

I'm sure soon I'll convince my self that my regs need upgrading for some reason.

I think I'm doing okay in this regard. I have a jacket BCD and a wetsuit. I'll dive that for a few years. If I waited until I had enough knowledge/money to do a BP/W and drysuit, I'd miss out on a lot of diving. Cold, wet diving is better than no diving.

I'm still not sure what I'm looking for when it comes to BP/W and drysuit. But I found a guy who owns a dive shop. He upgrades his drysuit every year and sells the old one cheap. That is probably where I'll get my first drysuit. :smiley20:

I'm going to look into renting/borrowing steel cylinders for a bit to see which size suits me.

ColdPass
03-13-2009, 11:08
congrats with your purchase. future reference steels( that pass) are a great investment.. several reasons:
1> steel hold 3500psi compared to 3000psi
2>+ and - bouyancy. steels weigh - when empty while aluminums go +. in return with al you must purchase extra weight and dive to prevent uncontrolable accent. also, if you decide later to go doubles this weight factor doubles.
you mentioned price weights now cost $4.50/lb for soft weights

but, enough busting your balls. good job, a great place to start if you ever decide go to steels you now have stage bottles. like Joe said, earlier this truly shows a committed diver. walking into lsd every time to rent tanks gets time consuming. with your tanks any time you want to get wet .... take the plunge. welcome to the new world of diving with YOUR own gear ...it only gets worse..but it is worth it.

Yeah, I'd read enough on here to know that HP100s would be what I really wanted, but the AL80s were so much more affordable. It would be easier to justify spending more on gear if my wife or daughter dove. My daughter will start her first swimming class in about a month, so that's a step in that direction! (They don't start swimming classes at the local place here until someone is 6 months old.) ;)

CompuDude
03-13-2009, 13:06

I'm only one year in on buying gear so I guess it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It is good to know that at some point I'll have all I need... then I'll need to spend money on dive trips :smiley36:.

Exactly! LOL

Like Rainer, I have pretty much everything I need now. Occasionally a new piece of kit comes out that looks like an interesting upgrade to something I already have (Rainer, didn't you just buy a new Dorcy backup light? Funny, for someone who says he doesn't need anything else. :smiley2: ), but other than a scooter (which is going to stay on my wishlist for a long, long time) and a DSLR (ditto), I can't think of anything I need at this point in the way of dive gear... took me some time to reach this point, of course. Having a spare bedroom that looks a lot like a dive shop helps, too. :smiley36:

There's always maintenance (reg service, tank hydros, drysuit seals, etc.) and repair (lost or broken gear) to consider, though. :(

Rainer
03-13-2009, 13:09
Light was for the wife. If you count the gear we need to get for her, sure, there's still more to buy, but for me, I'm really good. The used Mako I'm picking up next weekend is it for awhile. There aren't even any courses I want to take anymore (ok, maybe wreck pen with AG, but that's it for the next few years).

Really, people, you can get to a point where you're good to go! [Yes, always maintenance and repair costs, which sometimes even require new purchases.] Money now goes to actual dives.

P.S.
Dorcy light arrived today. Should have a little review posted up after Sunday.

03-13-2009, 13:26
I was lucky and got a pretty good bonus this year (enough to think about CCR, but I'm not there yet- believe I need a lot of experience with OC first).

So, I bouhght a deco reg yesterday and a wing today. Only things left to buy for *this* year:

Pockets for my drysuit- will have them glued and sewn by a guy in Florida
O2 analyzer
Adv Nitrox/Deco procedures class (starts April 6)
Lots and lots of diving

If I run across a good deal on a set of LP85s or a nice scooter I might bite, otherwise time to stop buying and start diving.

scubadiver888
03-13-2009, 14:52
I was lucky and got a pretty good bonus this year (enough to think about CCR, but I'm not there yet- believe I need a lot of experience with OC first).

CCR? What is CCR. First thing that comes to mind is Credence Clearwater Revival. :smiley5: Pretty sure that is not right. :smilie39:

Rainer
03-13-2009, 14:54
Closed Circuit Rebreather.

navyhmc
03-13-2009, 15:19

CCR? What is CCR. First thing that comes to mind is Credence Clearwater Revival. :smiley5: Pretty sure that is not right. :smilie39:

Closed Circuit Rebreather. Also synonymous with big bucks for the CCR system and the training to use it safely! Could be a Bad Moon Arising too. :D

underh2o
03-13-2009, 19:35
cold pass i am sorry about my earlier thread. i was not busting your chops. al80 are great tanks like i said i have some also. always remember steels are good but little harder to take care of. al80 always sell use them enjoy w/ your family my wife WILL NOT dive. and daughter is 19 months along time before she can...but sasy asap :smiley20:

CPTOZZY
03-20-2009, 21:16
congrats with your purchase.

I never really thought about it before, but my tank purchase more than any other sealed my addiction

ag4ever
03-22-2009, 18:58
I'd still like a pony bottle, newer regs, more tanks, good shears..... The list just doesn't stop, does it.

I you are looking for some pony bottles, Gander Mountain in I-45 North is liquidating their scuba gear. All items were 50% off this weekend.

I was able to pick up a Catalina 13 CF pony filled with air for $43. I should have gotten a couple more at that price. The manufacture date was 05/06, so it does not have the full 5 years on hydro you would get on a new tank at a shop that turns them over regularly, but for less than $50 with a fill you can't beat it. They had a number of pony tanks from 9 CF to 30 CF. Unfortunatly they did not have any AL80's or I would have bought some. My pony has a sherwood 5000 valve on it.

They have a number of BCs, a Aeris AI computer, some XR1 and XR2 computers, knives, sheares, and other misc. items. I don't think they have any reg sets left. Just watch their price as some items can be bought for less from Scuba Toys (aeris reef rider is $250 - $499 less 50%, and it is $199 @ scuba toys).

ColdPass
03-23-2009, 07:43
I never even knew Gander Mountain had scuba stuff. Sounds like some good deals. Thanks!

I you are looking for some pony bottles, Gander Mountain in I-45 North is liquidating their scuba gear. All items were 50% off this weekend.

I was able to pick up a Catalina 13 CF pony filled with air for $43. I should have gotten a couple more at that price. The manufacture date was 05/06, so it does not have the full 5 years on hydro you would get on a new tank at a shop that turns them over regularly, but for less than $50 with a fill you can't beat it. They had a number of pony tanks from 9 CF to 30 CF. Unfortunatly they did not have any AL80's or I would have bought some. My pony has a sherwood 5000 valve on it.

They have a number of BCs, a Aeris AI computer, some XR1 and XR2 computers, knives, sheares, and other misc. items. I don't think they have any reg sets left. Just watch their price as some items can be bought for less from Scuba Toys (aeris reef rider is $250 - $499 less 50%, and it is $199 @ scuba toys).

ag4ever
03-23-2009, 14:55
I never even knew Gander Mountain had scuba stuff. Sounds like some good deals. Thanks!

That might be why they are liquidating their stock.

I just don't think Scuba lends itself very well to big box stores. Thank God!