PDA

View Full Version : Moving the garbage to the bottom

ektess1
03-13-2009, 00:49
Have you noticed that most of the post in this forum have nothing to do with diving?
Maybe if we put those topics at the bottom of the list and dive related topics at the top, we could make thiis more of a diving forum.
A social network is great, but that is not what this forun is suppose to be about. IMHO
Use face book for that.
Diveing forums should be about diving. Not who did what to who.

Diver Kat
03-13-2009, 01:09
Hmmmm ... wait ... isn't this thread about a non-diving topic??:smiley36:

Personally, I hang out here for lots of reasons - not just diving information. I don't hang out on Face Book or My Space ... I like ST because it's divers socializing with other divers. (Somehow most of us have the same warped sense of humor!) If I can't be diving, at least I can be sharing some laughs with other divers. I really appreciate all the diving info as well, but it's not all that I'm here for.

ektess1
03-13-2009, 01:23
I generally enjoy the sick tristed humor of others that post here as well.
But isn't a dive forum about helping out the new divers?

Straegen
03-13-2009, 01:46
This tends to happen in most forums. Guess it depends on whether you want an informational site or a community. IMO, the later is more useful, more approachable and far friendlier. Most tech forums end up with a small group of people answering questions and getting annoyed at people who don't use the search first.

underh2o
03-13-2009, 01:51
why would any one try to run a ST diver off and mention they should go somewhere else just to talk. to go along with what kat said we are all dives here and we all have the same love of a sport. and maybe just talk and find out places to dive, new interest of the sport, or maybe new dive buddy. some people just talk to get used to something before they ask a question to see what some would say or might say by the responses they get.. leave them alone they may be your dive buddy someday that you ran off because all they wanted to do ws talk

Black-Gorrilla
03-13-2009, 02:12
Not to start a war... but

There is about 3700 thread in areas that are for any kind of talk (surface, man laws, women stuff etc...) Those places do have threads about diving, but it would take to much time to get a specific number, so i'll leave them as not having anything to do with diving...
There are at least 9700 threads in the Dive specific areas (gear, dive categories and dive spots)

This place is more about diving than anything. (the numbers dont lie, unless im too tired and really messed up)

I just think that people find it easier to head over to the casual talk first, and read jokes, and stories about someone jumping a fence like batman to look for a dog, man caves with purple curtains or someone that tried to pay for a credit card with a picture of a spider trough an e-mail etc...
Check the tragedies area and hope that there is nothing new in there.
Then, you head over towards the gear stuff and read a bit and post a bit to help answer questions about bp/w and regs that make noise at depth etc...
Down the line to get to dive spots... read the one that pertains to your area, and maybe an up coming vacation spot and so on.

Facebook does not have an easy to navigate interface that we can use, and end up talking to mostly divers, since we understand each other on one level or another. (cave divers understand cave divers, and why they go into caves. Tech people get tech people. And there is plenty of other people that identify with a group here better than they can on Facebook)

bottomdweller
03-13-2009, 17:00
I don't use Facebook or Myspace, it seems to me that would just be good for people I used to know & have no interest in talking to again would be able to find me.
Here I am safe from all that, & find a lot of interesting people to have all kinds of different conversations with.

Diver Kat
03-13-2009, 17:27
... some people just talk to get used to something before they ask a question to see what some would say or might say by the responses they get.. leave Good point ... many people lurk for a while before posting, and I've seen too many new divers scared off on other Forums because they were made to feel they asked a 'stupid' question. It's kind of nice to develop the 'family' feel ... the you don't feel so stupid asking a stupid question!! :smiley2: (Just kidding - there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers!! :smiley36:)

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
03-13-2009, 17:40
I love the community feel of this board. I believe without all the non-diving discussions going on it would be harder to get diving questions answered.

As for other boards, I hardly ever read scuba board. Only when I'm searching for an answer to a question. I lurk at TDS but don't ever feel I have much to contribute. I spend a lot of time at NCDivers because I know those guys and gals and dive with them. Scubatoys is definitely my favorite in the low season. During the high season I spend more time diving with the guys at NCDivers than reading the boards.

Skred
03-13-2009, 17:47
I love the community feel of this board. I believe without all the non-diving discussions going on it would be harder to get diving questions answered.

Agreed. The community feel you love is what makes this place unique. It encourages people to get involved. Without it, not only would it be harder to get questions answered, I think many of them would never be asked in the first place.

thor
03-13-2009, 18:19
Have you noticed that most of the post in this forum have nothing to do with diving?
Maybe if we put those topics at the bottom of the list and dive related topics at the top, we could make thiis more of a diving forum.
A social network is great, but that is not what this forun is suppose to be about. IMHO
Use face book for that.
Diveing forums should be about diving. Not who did what to who.

Garbage?
If you want to just learn about diving, you can read a magazine or take a course or just lurk on a dive forum. Forums are about social interactions with people who have similar interests. I say Good DAY to You, SIR

Lulubelle
03-13-2009, 18:35
ektess my friend,

I seem to remember that you have at times enjoyed participating in some of the non diving related threads. As long as threads are posted in the appropriate category, it seems to me that it is easy for people to get to the content that they wish to get to, and to avoid that which they do not wish to see.

So don't read Surface Interval and such.

I joined this forum probably a year ago. I read for a long time before I started posting. I find this community to be generally approachable, and I have learned a lot about diving and equipment that was invaluable to me when I purchased my own last fall. I never go to Scuba Board, because I don't like the energy there at all. Way too negative for me.

But I too like socializing with other divers. I may have acquired a few new dive buddies who live nowhere near me, based somewhat on the match of our personalities.

And I suspect that I will be spending more time on NC divers too once summer approaches as I hope to develop some local dive buddies for NC wreck diving.

Peace brother

Vercingetorix
03-13-2009, 18:49
Lighten up.

This is a community that shares a common interest: diving. However, we have many other interests as well.

If you want to see only Diving-related topics, go into your profile and set your filters such than only the dive-related sub-areas are displayed to you.

Or, go to www.scubaboard.com and post your dive questions there. Prepared to be flamed.

CompuDude
03-13-2009, 18:52
If you're reading the forum via the "new posts" function, it's harder to weed through the non-diving posts, since everything is lumped in together in chronological order. The solution is not to use the new posts function, instead go directly to the forums that interest you, and check in there, then it's not an issue to avoid the chatter about non-diving topics.

cummings66
03-13-2009, 20:23
I normally just read the sub forums I'm interested in and when I get bored I show up in places like this one. I don't really require much to keep me happy, I'm simple that way.

clararhb
03-13-2009, 22:02
One thing that I do miss on this forum is being able to not see certain forums via the control panel. I love that one other forums I belong to. If you don't want to see something in the mens forum then you simply click to not see that on a search. Bad part of it is that ST forum looks the same as the others that I use. Even thought they aren't dive related. So I am willing to bet that the ST software could be set to do the same thing.

ektess1
03-13-2009, 22:19
One thing that I do miss on this forum is being able to not see certain forums via the control panel. I love that one other forums I belong to. If you don't want to see something in the mens forum then you simply click to not see that on a search. Bad part of it is that ST forum looks the same as the others that I use. Even thought they aren't dive related. So I am willing to bet that the ST software could be set to do the same thing.

Thank you.
It can be done. It even eliminates them from new post.

Vercingetorix
03-13-2009, 22:24
One thing that I do miss on this forum is being able to not see certain forums via the control panel. I love that one other forums I belong to. If you don't want to see something in the mens forum then you simply click to not see that on a search. Bad part of it is that ST forum looks the same as the others that I use. Even thought they aren't dive related. So I am willing to bet that the ST software could be set to do the same thing.Go to your Profile and click the Edit Options tab. At the bottom, you can select those forums that you do not wish to see.

Easy.

Splitlip
03-13-2009, 22:30
This tends to happen in most forums. Guess it depends on whether you want an informational site or a community. IMO, the later is more useful, more approachable and far friendlier. Most tech forums end up with a small group of people answering questions and getting annoyed at people who don't use the search first.
Ding Ding Ding

Yeah. Mostly fun, but the information is good here.

DivingAnarchy.info
03-13-2009, 23:16
Well, I'm only here because my girlfriend has got the remote... Just to let you know...

Lulubelle
03-13-2009, 23:30
Well, I'm only here because my girlfriend has got the remote... Just to let you know...

Is that a man-card infraction?

Diver Kat
03-14-2009, 00:13

Is that a man-card infraction?Ha!! Busted!! Good catch Lulubelle!:smiley36:

DivingAnarchy.info
03-14-2009, 00:29

Thanks ladies. I'm sure you're having a good time now.

Diver Kat
03-14-2009, 00:31

Thanks ladies. I'm sure you're having a good time now.

Always, always!! :smiley2: At least you didn't make that Cabbage Patch faux pas that SL did!! LOL!

Black-Gorrilla
03-14-2009, 01:03
Leave Splitlip and his cabbage patch dolls alone.

emt
03-14-2009, 09:29
I don't use Facebook or Myspace, it seems to me that would just be good for people I used to know & have no interest in talking to again would be able to find me.
Here I am safe from all that, & find a lot of interesting people to have all kinds of different conversations with.

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: for people I used to know & have no interest in talking to again would be able to find me:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:
Love it.....just tooo funny :smilie39:

I asked a local guy why he drives 35 minutes to work when he could work the same job 5 minutes from his house. His response was very similar....

Diver Kat
03-14-2009, 09:32
Leave Splitlip and his cabbage patch dolls alone.
LOL .... I think they are alone .... somewhere .... together... :smilie39::smilie39:

kat
03-15-2009, 00:26
... some people just talk to get used to something before they ask a question to see what some would say or might say by the responses they get.. leave Good point ... many people lurk for a while before posting, and I've seen too many new divers scared off on other Forums because they were made to feel they asked a 'stupid' question. It's kind of nice to develop the 'family' feel ... the you don't feel so stupid asking a stupid question!! :smiley2: (Just kidding - there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers!! :smiley36:)
You nailed this right on the head. When I first came to this forum I was very apprehensive to make a post, but now it's getting easier.

Diver Kat
03-15-2009, 11:36
You nailed this right on the head. When I first came to this forum I was very apprehensive to make a post, but now it's getting easier.

And pretty soon Kat, you'll be crazy like the rest of us!!! :smiley2:

ektess1
03-16-2009, 12:11
Alright. The site is more fun with all the 'garbage'. Reset the filters.

Black-Gorrilla
03-16-2009, 12:39
that lasted less than 3 days?

03-16-2009, 12:45

You can miss a lot in three days around here unless you just care about getting diving questions answered :smiley2:

ektess1
03-16-2009, 12:59

I guess that I am more of a sucial butterfly than I thought.:smiley5:

clararhb
03-18-2009, 21:44

You can miss a lot in three days around here unless you just care about getting diving questions answered :smiley2:

But how much of it is worth reading?.. probably one percent.

03-18-2009, 22:35

You may be about a percent too high! :smiley36:

clararhb
03-19-2009, 23:44
ROLMAO..this thread was the LAST on the new posts..It finally made it where it belongs!! :)

ektess1
03-20-2009, 17:46
ROLMAO..this thread was the LAST on the new posts..It finally made it where it belongs!! :)

:smilie39:

Black-Gorrilla
03-20-2009, 19:15

You may be about a percent too high! :smiley36:

actually... about 80% is worth reading... if you don't, you get left out when people mention certain things

scubajane
03-20-2009, 20:47

And pretty soon Kat, you'll be crazy like the rest of us!!! :smiley2:

I have said to many of my students..'.I would rather you ask a stupid question then do a stupid thing so PLEASE ASK!!!!!!'

Tully Mars
03-21-2009, 17:55

That's soooo odd. I'm only here because the remote has my Ex.

clararhb
03-22-2009, 17:09
And how many are here just for the $50 certificate??

fanatique
03-27-2009, 11:27
And I'm here right now becaus the remote is broken. :(

clararhb
03-30-2009, 16:37

Six more posts and you hit 250. :)

Tully Mars
03-30-2009, 16:51

How odd. I think you're the first person to notice that.:smilie39::smilie40::smilie39:

Black-Gorrilla
03-30-2009, 17:54
Let's see how often we see a certain someone after 250

ektess1
03-30-2009, 18:59
Let's see how often we see a certain someone after 250
That would be interesting. Joe must know the numbers.

fanatique
03-31-2009, 12:07

Not doing too badly yourself! :smiley20: