PDA

View Full Version : yes, another SPG question.

din
03-16-2009, 20:05
so I'm getting ready to purchase a combo SPG/depth gauge, but I've read that most are manufactured by one or two companies. is there really any difference aside from how the face is decorated? and what are the benefits to a wrist-mounted compass vs. a console mount?

Vercingetorix
03-16-2009, 20:11
By "wrist-mounted", are you referring to the wireless SPG? If not, then the SPG hangs off a hose, so it may be part of a "console", which may include the computer and/or compass. Or, the SPG can just hang on a hose by it's own self; mine does (snap-bolted to my left-hip D-ring).

pir8
03-16-2009, 20:33
With a console mounted compass , its easier to set it up so that you can read your depth at the same time as your direction

din
03-16-2009, 20:44
By "wrist-mounted", are you referring to the wireless SPG? If not, then the SPG hangs off a hose, so it may be part of a "console", which may include the computer and/or compass. Or, the SPG can just hang on a hose by it's own self; mine does (snap-bolted to my left-hip D-ring).

sorry, I was just referring to a wrist-mounted compass, not the SPG on the console. most of the consoles I've seen are available as 2- or 3-gauge, and I'm curious about the quality/benefits of compasses that come attached to the console, in addition to wondering about differences between console SPGs that are more than cosmetic. I'm sure I'm being about as clear as mud, sorry about that.

DMWiz
03-16-2009, 20:44
I know of one italian company that makes brass and glass SPGs for a number of companies and just puts their corresponding logos on the SPGs. Aside from the small cosmetic & price differences these are exactly the same.

As far as compasses go, it depends on what your needs are. If all you're doing underwater is out and back from a boat or shore it doesn't really matter where you have the compass. If you're doing anything above that I find that having it on your wrist is more convenient for navigation. Also, depending on which compass you have it may be more difficult to level off the compass to get an accurate heading on a console than when it's on your wrist.

My recommendation would be to skip the console and keep the compass on your wrist. Buy a cheap computer or depth gauge/bottom timer for the other wrist and carry a small spg clipped to your side.

din
03-16-2009, 20:49
I know of one italian company that makes brass and glass SPGs for a number of companies and just puts their corresponding logos on the SPGs. Aside from the small cosmetic & price differences these are exactly the same.

As far as compasses go, it depends on what your needs are. If all you're doing underwater is out and back from a boat or shore it doesn't really matter where you have the compass. If you're doing anything above that I find that having it on your wrist is more convenient for navigation. Also, depending on which compass you have it may be more difficult to level off the compass to get an accurate heading on a console than when it's on your wrist.

My recommendation would be to skip the console and keep the compass on your wrist. Buy a cheap computer or depth gauge/bottom timer for the other wrist and carry a small spg clipped to your side.

thank you. I was kinda thinking about getting an integrated depth gauge/SPG and skipping the computer for now, just to get more accustomed to planning with tables. also, I'm vain and don't want to look like I have six watches strapped to my wrists. :smiley36:

DMWiz
03-16-2009, 20:57
As you wish... just 'cause you have a a wrist puter doesn't mean you turn off your main CPU! :D

I never really liked the combo spg/depth gauge, but that's just moi!

I guess I'm not vain I carry a compass, one computer and one watch all on my wrists. I does look geeky!

din
03-16-2009, 21:16
As you wish... just 'cause you have a a wrist puter doesn't mean you turn off your main CPU! :D

I never really liked the combo spg/depth gauge, but that's just moi!

I guess I'm not vain I carry a compass, one computer and one watch all on my wrists. I does look geeky!

one upside to having all those instruments on your wrists is that you never need to carry a signal mirror. :D
I'm still getting all of my gear sorted, so thanks for the advice!

Vercingetorix
03-16-2009, 21:59
I have my compass and computer on the wrist. It's easier to navigate with the compass, because I can hold it out in front of me in line with the direction I'm swimming. The computer and compass are on my right wrist, so I can monitor both simultaneously while navigating.

I don't like a lot of dangly things. That's why I got rid of the console, even thought it was attached via a retractable holder.

Oh...go for the computer. It will give you longer dives. Carry the table with you as back-up.

Straegen
03-16-2009, 23:40
My instructor let me in on a little navigation secret that isn't a secret to people who use a compass on land. Line your compass up with where you want to go, find a landmark that is in that direction and swim to it. Now this doesn't always work underwater or in a fog bank, but it actually keeps most people in a much straighter line than if they try to keep the compass dead on. This style navigation also pretty much means a compass can be just about anywhere since you won't need to refer to it nearly as often and that doesn't mean not at all.

With a console mounted compass , its easier to set it up so that you can read your depth at the same time as your directionIt is easy to read your depth if you are using a wrist mount computer/compass setup as well. I don't think a console is any easier at least in my configuration. Now watching the pressure that is a different story.

hooligan
03-16-2009, 23:55
I would also suggest skipping the console. Those things seem to be getting bigger and bigger. I really like my b&g spg clipped off and my suunto sk7 compass and computer on my wrists. Some people like having everything on the console, but I prefer everything separate. Scubatoys has the oceanic geo on sale right now for $250. That's a good price for a good computer. I'd look at pirhana mfg for the spg, they have the best price that I have found.

CompuDude
03-17-2009, 00:29
My instructor let me in on a little navigation secret that isn't a secret to people who use a compass on land. Line your compass up with where you want to go, find a landmark that is in that direction and swim to it. Now this doesn't always work underwater or in a fog bank, but it actually keeps most people in a much straighter line than if they try to keep the compass dead on. This style navigation also pretty much means a compass can be just about anywhere since you won't need to refer to it nearly as often and that doesn't mean not at all.

With a console mounted compass , its easier to set it up so that you can read your depth at the same time as your directionIt is easy to read your depth if you are using a wrist mount computer/compass setup as well. I don't think a console is any easier at least in my configuration. Now watching the pressure that is a different story.

Dead reckoning navigation works very well in perfect vis conditions (or on land), but rapidly becomes more and more useless as the viz drops below 30'.

Much my diving, possibly the majority, viz is 20' or less. :smiley13:

ektess1
03-17-2009, 09:38
I started out with a 3 unit console. Then then compass went onto the wrist. Then the computer went on the wrist. Now it is just the SPG clipped off. Save youself the money. You will eventually go to the wrist mounts.
If you do use a console, make sure that it is clipped off. Danglies are dangerous and can damage stuff.

RoyN
03-17-2009, 11:44
Dead reckoning navigation works very well in perfect vis conditions (or on land), but rapidly becomes more and more useless as the viz drops below 30'.

CompuDude, thats actually good vis! :smiley20:

About 20% of the dives in Monterey I've done was I hit the bottom before I saw it. Boy, that electric ray wasn't happy when I did that though. Didn't shock me too death but I can tell he wasn't having a good day. :smiley11:

pir8
03-17-2009, 15:33
Personally I don't care for wrist mounts. Never know when they'll get stuck if you're lobstering around a wreck.

CompuDude
03-17-2009, 15:52

CompuDude, thats actually good vis! :smiley20:

About 20% of the dives in Monterey I've done was I hit the bottom before I saw it. Boy, that electric ray wasn't happy when I did that though. Didn't shock me too death but I can tell he wasn't having a good day. :smiley11:

Like I said: "or less." Shore dives average 10-15' with "once a year" clearings to 25' on days god smiles on you. OTOH, we get 5' days, too... far more than we get 20'+. Boat dives are better. Those average 25-40' vis around here. I generally only do boat dives once a month, though, compared to roughly once per week shore dives.

pir8, I agree, hardcore lobstering is one good reason to avoid wrist gauges. Most people I know who use wristmount computers/compasses just clip them off to a D-ring on hunting dives where they expect to be sticking their arms in holes frequently. I rarely hunt, but I know people who rarely dive unless they're hunting, too, so it's different strokes for different folks...

cbope
03-18-2009, 14:33
I actually have a compass on my console and on my wrist (D6 computer). I didn't originally intend to get a console with compass, but when I dropped in to ST last summer to pick up a new reg set, the only metric console they had in stock was the Oceanic with compass, SPG and depth. Fortunately, it's fairly compact for a console with that many faces. But I rarely use the console compass, mostly I use the one in my D6. I just find it more convenient reading the compass on my wrist.