PDA

View Full Version : Dive computer dilemma

I Like 2 Dive
03-17-2009, 03:12
I took the advice from another member to check my gear about a month before I leave. With that in mind, took out my dive computer and the battery is dead. Here is the dilemma: My dive computer is a Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox. It is approx. 12yrs old. It was a hand-me-down, so it cost me nothing. I called 2 different dive shops, one will take it as a trade in and give me 20% off any Oceanic brand computer and the other shop will send it off for $150. As many of you know by now, I only dive once a year (yeah, I know, that stinks), so, I really don't want to spend the money in either senario. I can't justify spending $200 for a once a year use. As for renting one on my upcoming trip, the resort wants to charge $50 for the week. If I'm going to buy one, I might as well spend about $160 and get the M2 from ST, but after my trip, it will sit in my closet for a year until I go again. What do I do???

CompuDude
03-17-2009, 03:28
Trade it in on a more current computer that allows you to change the battery yourself. (my choice, but our finances and priorities are likely different)

Or learn tables. Or travel to places where you can rent a computer... and trust your life that they're good.

Those are pretty much your options. The one thing I would recommend avoiding is dropping $150 on fixing a 12 year old computer.

navyhmc
03-17-2009, 03:39
I agree with CD, don't spend the cash on a 12 yo computer. Personally, I use two different Oceanics: Geo and a ProPlus II and find them both to be good computers-I have had no complaints so fer. The nice thing is both have user replaceable batteries, just get the kits and follow the manual.

Both of these are Nitrox capable and if you don't dive nitrox, I woud recommend not paying the extra for the nitrox compatable and just go with a simple air computer.

In fact, Scuba Toys has 3 air only wrist units for less than $170, 2 of these are under $140. Not to mention 2 console units for under $190. Good deals if you ask me*.

*not a ST employee, merely a satisfied customer. :)

scubadiver888
03-17-2009, 07:09
You could go to the Uwatec website and see if there is a dealer in your area. I know that dealers tend to handle only a limited number of manufacturers. If a shop does not handle Uwatec then they are going to try to selling you a brand they do handle. If you find a dealer who sells UWatec they might be able to change the battery for a more reasonable cost.

If you are going to get another computer, shop around and see what is out there. CompuDude is right on the money. Get a computer where you can change the battery yourself. Don't spend money on an old computer.

fire diver
03-17-2009, 08:25
If you really don't plan on more than 1 dive outing a year, I say rent it. So you spend $50 to rent... if buy one for $150, and pay shipping or taxes on it, then pay for a new battery every year you go diving, you will be money ahead. You should break even after 4 years. How much would a 4 year old computer be worth?

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
03-17-2009, 08:31
renting makes a lot of sense here cost-wise - a problem with renting the computer is you might not know how to use it right off the bat since every model is different and that can be dangerous.

Beefcake
03-17-2009, 08:39
I had this same dilema last year. I bought my gear used, and it came with an old Suunto companion computer. It turned out that the computer was so old that the battery was epoxied into place and had to be changed by the factory, and the factory quit servicing them because they're so old (strange since it came with a lifetime warranty...). Anyway, I took it as a sign that I needed a new computer. I understand that it is hard to justify spending the money to replace something that works, but that $139 Aeris on here doesn't look bad (I was checking it out yesterday for my girlfriend; I gave her the above-described computer, but I'm expecting the battery to die this season).

ReefHound
03-17-2009, 08:53
If you really don't plan on more than 1 dive outing a year, I say rent it. So you spend $50 to rent... if buy one for $150, and pay shipping or taxes on it, then pay for a new battery every year you go diving, you will be money ahead. You should break even after 4 years. How much would a 4 year old computer be worth?

The M2 mentioned takes a AA battery which is a couple of bucks so the break even period is closer to three years, and he'll be way ahead after six years, or if he decides to go diving more often.

CODMAN
03-17-2009, 10:34
Yup, a second vote for the M2. I love mine. The AAA batteries are easy to change and the battery compartment is sealed for the rest of the computer, so if you flood it (by not being carefull changing the batteries), the computer won't be damaged! It does it all for a great price.

Only thing is be forewarned; the Mares uses a modified RGBM algorithm which is more conservative, so you might get a few minutes less bottom time, especially on repetitive dives.

Cheers!:smiley20:

MSilvia
03-17-2009, 10:46
I'd recommend doing without, or renting if you really need one.

RoyN
03-17-2009, 11:31
Guys, would it be cheaper if the person trades in, gets the Veo computer and SPG?

MxDiver
03-17-2009, 11:54
It would depend on the price given to him, the VEO 100 is 139.95 on ST, with free shipping.

ReefHound
03-17-2009, 12:21
Guys, would it be cheaper if the person trades in, gets the Veo computer and SPG?

From what I see, you don't get anything on a trade in that you couldn't get anyway. The manufacturer or dealer is just going to destroy the old one.

CODMAN
03-17-2009, 12:22
Agree! You get the impression you got a deal! For what that's worth...:smilie39:

From what I see, you don't get anything on a trade in that you couldn't get anyway. The manufacturer or dealer is just going to destroy the old one.

I Like 2 Dive
03-17-2009, 13:33
It would depend on the price given to him, the VEO 100 is 139.95 on ST, minus the 10% he is at $125.95 with free shipping.

This is a computer my LDS suggested Oceanic VEO 100 NX Dive Computer Module - Scuba Gear, Scuba Diving Equipment and Discount Snorkeling from ScubaBasics (http://www.scubabasics.com/oceanic-veo-100-nx-dive-computer-module.html) he said it is $270, after 20% trade in, it would be around $220. Is that the same as the one ST has for $140? Oceanic VEO 100 Wrist Computer reviews and discounts, Oceanic (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Veo100Wrist)
Do you guys know if ST takes trade ins as well? After reading about the M2, it has the features that I like....backlight, BIG display, easy to use. I also found this VEO from my LDS, but it is more pricey Oceanic VEO 100 NX Wrist Dive Computer - Scuba Gear, Scuba Diving Equipment and Discount Snorkeling from ScubaBasics (http://www.scubabasics.com/oceanic-veo-100-nx-wrist-dive-computer.html). The prices on his website are higher, but he said due to internet guidelines they have to be posted at certain prices. In the store, they are cheaper, but probably not as cheap as a store that does more volume like ST does compared to one in the midwest here.

I Like 2 Dive
03-17-2009, 13:45
OK, so what exactly is the difference between a conservative and liberal computer? Based on anywhere between 12-20 dives I can cram in a week, which would be better and does it matter? For now, all I want is one that:
1: works
2: BIG display
3: easy to use
4: back light constant on (if needed)
5: user changeable batteries
6: one that yells at me if ascending too fast
7: very reasonably priced (i am on a budget)
8: wrist mount (i don't own my own equipment, thought this would be better for now)

I'm not too worried if it is nitrox ready, but if it is a small price difference, I'll get it. You never know.

MxDiver
03-17-2009, 13:58
Yes, the computer is the same. I just a 2nd look at the ST page and noticed it says no other discounts apply with these computers, so I will edit my previous post as no to be misleading. They have the Mares M2 for 165.95 which is nitrox ready. Only you can answer if 25 bucks is a small price difference.

Heavy D
03-17-2009, 15:08
It would depend on the price given to him, the VEO 100 is 139.95 on ST, minus the 10% he is at $125.95 with free shipping.

This is a computer my LDS suggested Oceanic VEO 100 NX Dive Computer Module - Scuba Gear, Scuba Diving Equipment and Discount Snorkeling from ScubaBasics (http://www.scubabasics.com/oceanic-veo-100-nx-dive-computer-module.html) he said it is $270, after 20% trade in, it would be around $220. Is that the same as the one ST has for $140? Oceanic VEO 100 Wrist Computer reviews and discounts, Oceanic (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Veo100Wrist)
Do you guys know if ST takes trade ins as well? After reading about the M2, it has the features that I like....backlight, BIG display, easy to use. I also found this VEO from my LDS, but it is more pricey Oceanic VEO 100 NX Wrist Dive Computer - Scuba Gear, Scuba Diving Equipment and Discount Snorkeling from ScubaBasics (http://www.scubabasics.com/oceanic-veo-100-nx-wrist-dive-computer.html). The prices on his website are higher, but he said due to internet guidelines they have to be posted at certain prices. In the store, they are cheaper, but probably not as cheap as a store that does more volume like ST does compared to one in the midwest here.
I don't think I would be going to that LDS anymore. The wrist mount Veo 180 that is nitrox capable is only $160-$200 online. No more often then you use it, that would work plenty well for you and the battery is user replaceable if/when it dies.

RoyN
03-17-2009, 19:04
OMG! Here is a great GREAT deal!

Oceanic Geo Nitrox Dive Computer reviews and discounts, Oceanic (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Oceanic_Blue_Geo)

reactive
03-17-2009, 19:11
OMG! Here is a great GREAT deal!

Oceanic Geo Nitrox Dive Computer reviews and discounts, Oceanic (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Oceanic_Blue_Geo)

I have this computer and I love it. Easy to understand instructions, easy interface. Nitrox from 21% to 50%. It also has a conservative mode if you feel so inclined to use it. Great computer for the price, in my humble opinion. I just ordered the download cable for it. I thought very hard about upgrading to the ATOM because of a great price Joe gave me on a new one, but decided I should put a few more dives on this one before switching to an air integrated computer.

Overall, though, I'd give this computer 10/10 for its class and price range. Some folks may disagree however because the display isn't as large as it is on other models like the VEO. Still very readable in my opinion though.

ianr33
03-17-2009, 19:49
How deep are you going to be diving? Could you just use tables?

FoxHound
03-17-2009, 19:52
if you are interested in an M2 but dont wanna spend the money for a new one, i have one that only has 10 dives on it, its a bit too conservative for me so i will stick with my VEO 180. It was sold to me by ST, and i'll let it go for less. Sorry to make this sound like a classified.

Oh, and the VEO 180 batteries are user replaceable, its a great computer!!!

Edit to add. By conservative, just by example, i was doing a lot of repetitive dives in cozumel. On the devils throat dive i was in the countdown to deco yet my VEO 180 gave me 4 min remaining. (120ft max depth) Then on the next dive down to about 60 ish feet i had to keep track of my time on it but still never hit deco and the dive was still in the 50min long range. I was doing dives all week to 80 and 90 feet and the devils throat was the only one it put me to deco, other then that the M2 served as a great computer.

hooligan
03-17-2009, 21:24
I bought the geo for my wife and she seems to like it. I know it's a bit more than the veo, but it's a great little comp.

I Like 2 Dive
03-18-2009, 01:50
How deep are you going to be diving? Could you just use tables?

I dive at various depths (100-110ft max), but the last few places I've been, I was required to have a computer and using tables wasn't acceptable.

I Like 2 Dive
03-18-2009, 02:32
I just don't know. It is very over whelming.

CompuDude
03-18-2009, 02:37

No need for it to be... just pick the one you can afford. Any computer will work, and any of the options discussed would be better than a broken 12 year old computer.

reactive
03-18-2009, 03:27

No need for it to be... just pick the one you can afford. Any computer will work, and any of the options discussed would be better than a broken 12 year old computer.

As always CompuDude, well said.:smiley20:

CODMAN
03-18-2009, 09:14
Like, the m2 is the only computer that will allow you to keep the backlight on all through your dive. Which is one of my favorite options of this little computer!:smiley20:

It's more conservative. In general (and i'm really generalising here!! :smilie40:), this means on consecutive dives, you will be getting less and less bottom time compared to a more liberal computer. This is basically an added safety margin. Some like this (I do), some don't. And it doesn't replace the need for safety margins in your head! :smiley2: the difference is usually a few minutes, nothing dramatic. I have it and have never felt cheated in bottom time...

OK, so what exactly is the difference between a conservative and liberal computer? Based on anywhere between 12-20 dives I can cram in a week, which would be better and does it matter? For now, all I want is one that:
8: wrist mount (i don't own my own equipment, thought this would be better for now)

I'm not too worried if it is nitrox ready, but if it is a small price difference, I'll get it. You never know.

CompuDude
03-18-2009, 13:26
It's more conservative. In general (and i'm really generalising here!! :smilie40:), this means on consecutive dives, you will be getting less and less bottom time compared to a more liberal computer. This is basically an added safety margin. Some like this (I do), some don't. And it doesn't replace the need for safety margins in your head! :smiley2: the difference is usually a few minutes, nothing dramatic. I have it and have never felt cheated in bottom time...

The difference can be considerably more than a few minutes, but that all depends on the exact profiles. I've seen dives where people with conservative computers came up within a minute of the people with liberal computers. I've also seen dives where the conservative people missed 10-12 minutes of diving time. It all depends on the profile.

A liberal computer has settings that make it way more conservative, if that's your preference. No need to keep a safety margin in your head, unless you want to. A conservative computer, however, does NOT have settings that make it more liberal... just more conservative.

I prefer to have the choice. You have both liberal and conservative in one with a liberal computer. You have only conservative (and more conservative) with a conservative computer.

Generally, I'll leave a liberal computer in liberal mode. If I'm feeling off one day, and like I should leave some extra padding, just come up a bit early... no need to ride the computer until it starts screaming. If, however, I come across something incredibly cool, I'd feel silly about being forced up when I know I could have stayed longer, but now I'd have to bend the computer to stay. Fine on the last dive of the day, perhaps, but not so much on a trip. Being locked out for 24 hours on a liveaboard would suck. That all said, that's MY choice... if you prefer to crank down a liberal computer, that's why the option is there. :smiley20:

I Like 2 Dive
03-18-2009, 14:48
Like, the m2 is the only computer that will allow you to keep the backlight on all through your dive. Which is one of my favorite options of this little computer!:smiley20:

The difference can be considerably more than a few minutes, but that all depends on the exact profiles. I've seen dives where people with conservative computers came up within a minute of the people with liberal computers. I've also seen dives where the conservative people missed 10-12 minutes of diving time. It all depends on the profile.

A liberal computer has settings that make it way more conservative, if that's your preference. No need to keep a safety margin in your head, unless you want to. A conservative computer, however, does NOT have settings that make it more liberal... just more conservative.

I prefer to have the choice. You have both liberal and conservative in one with a liberal computer. You have only conservative (and more conservative) with a conservative computer.

Generally, I'll leave a liberal computer in liberal mode. If I'm feeling off one day, and like I should leave some extra padding, just come up a bit early... no need to ride the computer until it starts screaming. If, however, I come across something incredibly cool, I'd feel silly about being forced up when I know I could have stayed longer, but now I'd have to bend the computer to stay. Fine on the last dive of the day, perhaps, but not so much on a trip. Being locked out for 24 hours on a liveaboard would suck. That all said, that's MY choice... if you prefer to crank down a liberal computer, that's why the option is there. :smiley20:

Very good info guys. I like the idea of the backlight being constant for my night dives from the M2, but I also like the idea of if needed, staying down a bit longer if there's something to see (which usually happens). I don't know how many times I've come up and hear the last divers coming up saying, "did you see that? that was cool!"

I Like 2 Dive
03-18-2009, 15:29
OK here's yet another question. My wife got a computer as a gift (Uwatec Aladin Sport Plus). Is it considered a liberal or conservative one and should the computer I end up getting be similar to the one that she has? I have not tried hers out, but she seems to like it. She is always my dive buddy and I don't want her to end her dive early because of me. Does that matter? I've heard of partners getting the same type of computer. Didn't know if I should as well? Am I reading too much into this? Perhaps a bit anal maybe? I just want to be sure before I buy I guess.

CompuDude
03-18-2009, 16:39
OK here's yet another question. My wife got a computer as a gift (Uwatec Aladin Sport Plus). Is it considered a liberal or conservative one and should the computer I end up getting be similar to the one that she has? I have not tried hers out, but she seems to like it. She is always my dive buddy and I don't want her to end her dive early because of me. Does that matter? I've heard of partners getting the same type of computer. Didn't know if I should as well? Am I reading too much into this? Perhaps a bit anal maybe? I just want to be sure before I buy I guess.

Uwatec is considered middle of the road, generally. Not as liberal as Oceanic, not as conservative as Suunto.

Safe to use any computer alongside it, just realize the most conservative computer always wins, in a buddy pair.

Travman
03-18-2009, 17:16
I have a Uwatec and Mares computer and the Uwatec is more liberal than the Mares. But it is far more conservative than my buddy's oceanic.

reactive
03-18-2009, 18:24
Check this out:
http://forum.scubatoys.com/used-stuff-sale/22189-mares-m2-dive-computer.html

Might be right up your alley.

MxDiver
03-18-2009, 19:09
I like to share my personal experience, I mostly dive a suunto computer, only once after four days of diving did my computer call for a no deco time shorter than my buddy´s (oceanic), rather than end the dive I went up a couple of feet and continue the dive, when doing a dive or two on a single day I never had this experoence. I am not stating this is the norm by any means, merely pointing out my personal experience. If anything it makes me wonder what the difference is (time wise) and under what circumstances it may present itself. A side by side testing in the chamber could be nice to know the limits of different computers. Will they be really significative for recreational diving?

CompuDude
03-18-2009, 19:31
I like to share my personal experience, I mostly dive a suunto computer, only once after four days of diving did my computer call for a no deco time shorter than my buddy´s (oceanic), rather than end the dive I went up a couple of feet and continue the dive, when doing a dive or two on a single day I never had this experoence. I am not stating this is the norm by any means, merely pointing out my personal experience. If anything it makes me wonder what the difference is (time wise) and under what circumstances it may present itself. A side by side testing in the chamber could be nice to know the limits of different computers. Will they be really significative for recreational diving?

Unfortunately, it looks like the pages of graphs which accompanied the original article are not included on the online version, but this article did just that and had some interesting observations on the differences:

Scuba Diving Magazine - Crunching the Numbers (http://www.scubadiving.com/article/Crunching_the_Numbers/)
(See "Liberal or Conservative? How your computer's algorithm affects your bottom time By John Francis", about 3/4 of the way down the page)

See also this "Freedom vs. Risk" section of this article, which DOES have some charts included (a little down from the top):
Scuba Diving Magazine - 14 New Dive Computers (http://www.scubadiving.com/article/14_New_Dive_Computers/)

Last but not least, see the PDF linked at the very top of this article ("Scuba Lab 10 New Dive Computers Chamber Test--(788K PDF)":
Scuba Diving Magazine - 10 New Dive Computers (http://www.scubadiving.com/article/10_New_Dive_Computers/)

Oops, one last one (looks like they're including these tests on all computer reviews now, which is good), see the similarly-placed PDF on this review:
Scuba Diving Magazine - 14 New Computers (http://www.scubadiving.com/article/14_new_computers/)

MxDiver
03-18-2009, 19:49
Very interesting articles, just got done reading the first one, thanks for the links.

I Like 2 Dive
03-20-2009, 02:12

Uwatec is considered middle of the road, generally. Not as liberal as Oceanic, not as conservative as Suunto.

Safe to use any computer alongside it, just realize the most conservative computer always wins, in a buddy pair.

I was telling my wife what you and everyone else has said. She thinks I should go with the M2. Because we don't get out as much as everyone else does, she feels that the more conservative is the way to go. The fact that I run out of air before she does, she doen't see the need for me to get a more liberal one. I can see the pro and cons for both. Am I missing something here? I am a bit of a air hog, so would getting the M2 be that bad? Do you have an easy explanation that I could tell her?

I found 2 different Geos on ST. Is this one Oceanic Geo Nitrox Dive Computer reviews and discounts, Oceanic (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Oceanic_Blue_Geo) the older model compared to this one Oceanic GEO Dive Computer reviews and discounts, Oceanic (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=GEOWristwatch) the newer model?

I Like 2 Dive
03-20-2009, 02:17

I know you have the M2. Is there anything about it that it doesn't do that you wish it did?

CompuDude
03-20-2009, 02:33

I was telling my wife what you and everyone else has said. She thinks I should go with the M2. Because we don't get out as much as everyone else does, she feels that the more conservative is the way to go. The fact that I run out of air before she does, she doen't see the need for me to get a more liberal one. I can see the pro and cons for both. Am I missing something here? I am a bit of a air hog, so would getting the M2 be that bad? Do you have an easy explanation that I could tell her?

I found 2 different Geos on ST. Is this one Oceanic Geo Nitrox Dive Computer reviews and discounts, Oceanic (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Oceanic_Blue_Geo) the older model compared to this one Oceanic GEO Dive Computer reviews and discounts, Oceanic (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=GEOWristwatch) the newer model?

There ARE pros and cons for both. I can't tell you which aspects are more important to you ... just the ones that are important to ME, and perhaps my best guess as to what I would do in your situation.

Honestly, though, if you're an air hog, conservative vs liberal won't matter. It will at some point in the future as you gain experience and comfort in the water, but that could be years off. Meanwhile, two years of making your wife feel like you care about her opinion more than your own may help get what you want in the future. :smiley2: (and there's really nothing wrong with either option, frankly)

heydn62
03-20-2009, 09:42
Are the computer alerts audible or how are you notified of alarm conditions? If Audible, how loud is it?

CompuDude
03-20-2009, 14:29
Are the computer alerts audible or how are you notified of alarm conditions? If Audible, how loud is it?

Actual volume measurement depends on the computer, but pretty much all computers use beeps to alert you of something... whether you can hear it is more a function of (a) your hearing, (b) how thick your hood is and (c) how attentive you are.

I Like 2 Dive
03-20-2009, 16:09

Actual volume measurement depends on the computer, but pretty much all computers use beeps to alert you of something... whether you can hear it is more a function of (a) your hearing, (b) how thick your hood is and (c) how attentive you are.

Just back from my LDS, with trade in and "special discounts", I can get the new GEO for $300. I didn't buy it..........yet. I really am leaning towards the GEO. Like you said, I can always tune it down if needed. Not sure about all the features it has, but I'm sure it has more than what I need.......for now, and for later, I'll have them.