PDA

View Full Version : Vanuatu Dive Operators

Travman
03-17-2009, 22:02
Myself and a few friends are off to Vanuatu soon. We are just doing Port Vila on this trip. I know there are a few dive operators there. Does anyone have any recommendations of which operator to go with, or are they all pretty much the same?

DivingAnarchy.info
03-17-2009, 22:46
Sailaway cruises (http://www.sailawayvanuatu.com/indexs.html).
I've spend considerable time in Vanuatu and I would recommend Sailaway because they are small, informal and the owner knows his stuff.

gbrdiver
03-18-2009, 01:04
I used Nautilus in Port Vila last time I was there. Good operation but a bit inflexible if you are after a specific dive-spot. Big Blue Vanuatu are OK too I've been told. Hideaway Island was expensive and grossly over-rated. Diving around Port Vila is good...until you get to Santo...and the Coolidge - then it becomes fantastic!

Travman
03-18-2009, 20:33
Yeah, Coolidge will be the next trip to Vanuatu. We are just doing a quick taking advantage of the Easter long weekend. Sailaway look good for a big outing but how are they for diving every day? They appear to cater for big day long trips or overnight trips.

DivingAnarchy.info
03-19-2009, 06:04
I don't think they will change divespots often. Its a small organisation with one boat. Ask them when you are there. You can also ask Peter -the owner- about other divespots and operators. He's a straight forward nice guy who will be able to give you the best advise as he's been there for ages and frequently consults for the Lonely Planet guide.

Don't mention my name though and don't mention anything about a tall Dutch guy who ran away with his girlfriend.

Travman
03-20-2009, 01:11
Yes, I can see how that might be a sore point.