PDA

View Full Version : Night Dive Rave (glow sticks)

Jaymeany
08-22-2007, 17:05
What color Glow Stick works best for marking a diver when night diving? I know blue light travels farthest in water but does this apply to glow sticks at night?

Centerius
08-22-2007, 17:28
I think the best would be (in order of preference): Blue, Green, Yellow (remember ROYGBIV, and the colors are absorbed from Red -> Violet).

And just for fun...
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z207/jamescuster/Key%20Largo%20SCUBA%20Trip/761d5170.jpg

robanna
08-22-2007, 17:49
That is a Great photo!

TAH 73
08-22-2007, 18:04
I have been using white ones. I think the White, Blue and Green show up the best.

Jaymeany
08-22-2007, 18:06
Where do you get yours?

greyzen
08-22-2007, 18:07
speaking of which..

Where is a good place to get these things. My 'Dollar Store' only had yellow

Jaymeany
08-22-2007, 18:13
I found a bunch on ebay but most are trying to scam you. .99 for 100 but $35 shipping. still not bad compared to the $1-2 you pay normally.

FyVe
08-22-2007, 18:25
thats a pretty nice picture.

finflippers
08-22-2007, 18:58
Nice picture. I have never used any glow sticks for night diving but I have used a white strobe attached to the tank valve.

CompuDude
08-22-2007, 19:21
Glowsticks are readily available at party supply stores. Even Home Depot carries them. If you want to buy them in bulk, however, online is the best bet. Rave supply stores tend to have pretty good prices, I used to get them at www.epartyunlimited.com back in my rave days.

I prefer Glo-Toob's for scuba diving, however. I'm not a big fan of disposable chemicals, "non-toxic" or not, especially encased in disposable plastic containers.

gtjason2000
08-23-2007, 08:09
I prefer Glo-Toob's for scuba diving, however. I'm not a big fan of disposable chemicals, "non-toxic" or not, especially encased in disposable plastic containers.

I second this idea, I hate the idea of disposable chemical markers. But you also have to be sure to get rechargeable batteries.

Charlotte Smith
08-23-2007, 08:30
Nice Pic!!! I like the glow sticks and hadn't though about using them that way...

fire diver
08-23-2007, 08:32
The group I went night-diving with had 6 people. So we broke into teams of 2 and each team had thier own color glowstick. Easy to tell from a short distance who your teammate was if teams got mengled together. About 20-20 feet apart, and you can't see them anymore, so other team lights didn't "interfer" with your night dive. But this is a lake, not the ocean with 100+ vis.

FD

torrey
08-23-2007, 09:01
I always got my glow-sticks at Wal-Mart, and I almost always get yellow for my buddy and I.

Phestr
08-24-2007, 10:11
Our group gets them at the local dollar store, and we usually break into buddy teams, each with thier own color. When I first suggested it, my buddies thought I was being weird. But it really works, especially if everyone knows which color the team with the most site familiarity is.

WV Diver
08-24-2007, 10:25
I keep some glow sticks in my save-a-dive kit in case my glo-toob dies or students need them and sometimes I use them to mark entry/exit points and such. I always encourage everyone to be responsible and dispose of these things properly.

Color isn't as important as intensity when it comes to visiblity at night. A light stick or glo-toob is your best and most economical choice. Like colors for buddy teams is always good.

Light sticks come in red, blue and green that I know of, I have a green glo-toob and a blue light stick. They are both more visible than any chemical stick.

fire diver
08-24-2007, 11:21
Have you ever seen the high-intensity glow sticks? There are even untra intense glow sticks that are only rated for 30 minutes. Of course that's at full output, and the start slowing fading after that.

FD

Jaymeany
08-24-2007, 12:01
Which glo toob do you have? They look really cool and durable.

torrey
08-24-2007, 12:47
I had never hear of glo-toob's before this thread...I may have to look into them.

WV Diver
08-24-2007, 12:55
Which glo toob do you have? They look really cool and durable.
http://www.taclighting.com/ProductImages/flashlights/glotoob/GTG.jpg

Here it is.

CompuDude
08-24-2007, 14:11
I like the Glo-Toob FX, which has a number of flashing sequences. I like the slow throbbing light pattern one best.

Vercingetorix
08-24-2007, 17:53
I like the Glo-Toob FX, which has a number of flashing sequences. I like the slow throbbing light pattern one best.I got the cheapy: turn on...turn off. Got a great deal on a pair and about two dozen batteries. Inexpensive, because I bought quantity. Otherwise, those batteries are pricey.

CompuDude
08-24-2007, 18:11
I like the Glo-Toob FX, which has a number of flashing sequences. I like the slow throbbing light pattern one best.I got the cheapy: turn on...turn off. Got a great deal on a pair and about two dozen batteries. Inexpensive, because I bought quantity. Otherwise, those batteries are pricey.
Source for batteries? Haven't had to replace it yet, but I will soon...

Osprey
08-24-2007, 19:41
As an actual raver (I have some fun photos if anyone wants) I can tell you that if you plan on using a lot, bulk ordering is the way to go. I like extremeglow.com.. sometimes you pay a bit more, but you get EXACTLY what you want, if you're wanting specific colors, sizes, etc

CompuDude
08-24-2007, 20:06
As an actual raver (I have some fun photos if anyone wants) I can tell you that if you plan on using a lot, bulk ordering is the way to go. I like extremeglow.com.. sometimes you pay a bit more, but you get EXACTLY what you want, if you're wanting specific colors, sizes, etc

Photos, please. :D

Gonna see the Man this year?

Osprey
08-25-2007, 00:46

Photos, please. :D

Gonna see the Man this year?

I actually found video, too!

HULLABALOO: ONE MORE GROUP HUG: TORONTO, ONTARIO

From the start of the night.. this person was wandering aroung with a video cam actually.. I pass by the front of the screen about 44-47seconds in.. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE86o0CtXd0&mode=related&search=

This is full capacity a few hours later.. everyone singing YOU'RE MY ANGEL! Listen to the sound break on that.. I heard whistles echoing in my head for like a week!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpIeUrRQGms&mode=related&search=

Man.. that gave me goosebumps all over..

Anyway.. photos..

GLOWYYYYY!
http://oceanborn.critter.net/tickets/hulla.jpg

Visit www.hulla.info for more ;)

As for who else I am going to see this year, sadly.. probably nobody

BECAUSE HULLA IS BACK! July 2008! Gotta save for them tickets.. youch.

CompuDude
08-25-2007, 02:04
I'm more of a trance kid than happy hardcore. And Canada's a bit far.

But... darn you, I'm going to have to go watch Groove again now, and relive some memories... LOL

danielh03
08-25-2007, 02:08
If your looking for Cheap but good quality glow stixs, go to army surplus stores near military bases. They also have pilot distress signals ( flashing strobes that are designed for salt water ) As far as color goes, the militay used to teach ( its been a few years guys ) red, and blue are the least visable at night, and green is a bad idea for water, most boaters will want to get close and see what is glowing! I would stick with strobes, but thats just me lol

Zenagirl
08-25-2007, 07:04
I really like the Glo Toobs too. We got blue for my husband and yellow for me....and frankly both colors are very visible underwater. We also got the cheap ones that just have on/off as a choice. ;)

Osprey
08-25-2007, 09:34
Oh Canada is not close! 14 hour drive, more after I move! lol. Though from Cali it's surely worse.. but at least you have a somewhat steady stream of parties going down!

The bigger issue here is the Missouri/Illinois group has gotten jaded and rather aggressive. The last party I went to (headliners Bassnectar, I went for Spree as well) I ended up getting my hand burnt by a cigarette some girl was flinging around, and she acted like it was MY fault, despite I was standing with a bottle of water at the time. Someone apparently also somehow got toilet water on their hands and rubbed it on some stranger's jacket. I mean really.. who needs that!!

CompuDude
08-25-2007, 09:57
If your looking for Cheap but good quality glow stixs, go to army surplus stores near military bases. They also have pilot distress signals ( flashing strobes that are designed for salt water ) As far as color goes, the militay used to teach ( its been a few years guys ) red, and blue are the least visable at night, and green is a bad idea for water, most boaters will want to get close and see what is glowing! I would stick with strobes, but thats just me lol

Strobes are for emergencies only. Not general diver locators.

Green is just fine for water, and blue is fairly visible as well (although white is probably best, I prefer green). Red is the worst, definitely. Simple light physics at work...

greyzen
08-25-2007, 10:29
I've seen strobe's on instructors...
I don't know why it would be an issue to have a strobe...

Running lights on a boat would be pretty noticeable and different than a dive light, I would imagine

Jaymeany
08-25-2007, 11:27
Does anyone use the light enhancing stand with the glo-toob?

Capt Hook
08-25-2007, 11:44
Glo-stix always scare me; long-liners attach glow stixs to their hooks to attract fish and look at all the hungry sharks they catch!

CompuDude
08-25-2007, 14:06
Does anyone use the light enhancing stand with the glo-toob?

Yes, I do. Love it. Really makes the light bigger looking, since it diffuses the light out. Also, since I attach my Glo-Toob to my tank valve, it would tend to swing around a bit and clang on the tank like a fricking bell. The little rubber stand stops the clanging, too. And makes it not roll away when you set it down. All good, overall... definitely recommended.

BigScubaCat
08-25-2007, 16:04
I personally use Glo-Toobs (red, amber and blue) on my gear when diving at night or in reduced viz. These little lights have multiple strobe settings and reallly are bright. For marking the entry/exit location on the shore we always use two colors or chem-lites, usually yellow and red, which we buy at Wal-Mart. We set them up one above the other 2 feet apart right at the shore. Helps to keep from confusing distant house lights when diving during those extreme dark moonless nights.

mark44883
08-25-2007, 16:16
i use white they seem to be a little brighter

Jaymeany
08-25-2007, 16:32
any good spots to get a deal on these? or where i can physically see one?

terrillja
08-25-2007, 18:40
What color Glow Stick works best for marking a diver when night diving? I know blue light travels farthest in water but does this apply to glow sticks at night?

I prefer red, since it doesn't affect night vision, and seems fairly easy to see. green also travels pretty well, and is what I use on my ascent line for deco stops.

terrillja
08-25-2007, 18:45

Another to look for are the Princeton Tec EcoFlare, bright, easy to recognize, and fairly inexpensive. I have taken mine on ~30 dives, and partway up Mt. Washington as an emergency beacon, still works great, whether warm, cold, high alt, or at 85'. Looking to but a few more now that my stockpile of glow sticks from ebay is running out.

CompuDude
08-26-2007, 00:34
I've seen strobe's on instructors...
I don't know why it would be an issue to have a strobe...

Running lights on a boat would be pretty noticeable and different than a dive light, I would imagine
Have you ever dove a night dive with someone nearby using a strobe as a locator? It's among the most incredibly rude, obnoxious and inconsiderate thing you can do to everyone else in the water.

Strobes are for emergencies. Lower-impact lights are for constant diver location verification.

CompuDude
08-26-2007, 00:36

Another to look for are the Princeton Tec EcoFlare, bright, easy to recognize, and fairly inexpensive. I have taken mine on ~30 dives, and partway up Mt. Washington as an emergency beacon, still works great, whether warm, cold, high alt, or at 85'. Looking to but a few more now that my stockpile of glow sticks from ebay is running out.

I have had three flood on me, or else I'd recommend them, because I liked the ones I had. Princeton Tec is good about replacing them each time, but after the last flood I got tired of paying postage to and from and being without it for weeks while waiting for the replacement, so I went to something else.

terrillja
08-26-2007, 00:54

I have had three flood on me, or else I'd recommend them, because I liked the ones I had. Princeton Tec is good about replacing them each time, but after the last flood I got tired of paying postage to and from and being without it for weeks while waiting for the replacement, so I went to something else.

Never had any trouble with mine, I put a bit of silicone lube on ever few weeks and only tighten it enough to barely make it flash, loosen it just enough to make it turn off. At the same time, rubber fails eventually, so sooner or later, mine may fail, but up t now it has been good.

Krakenn
08-26-2007, 04:30
In Western Australia it is law that you have to dive with a flashing strobe.
The dive float must also be attached and have an Orange flashing strobe when diving at night.

Kraks

Jaymeany
08-26-2007, 05:26
In Western Australia it is law that you have to dive with a flashing strobe.

Is that for every dive, or just night dives?

Krakenn
08-26-2007, 08:55
Night diving only, otherwise only a Alpha Flag within 50m displayed from boat or float

Kraks

scubasamurai
08-26-2007, 19:35
pretty cool picture!!!

paintsnow
08-29-2007, 23:00
http://extremeglow.com/Merchant4/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GLOVE&Category_Code=GP

that looks awesome
especially when you want to communicate with a buddy
also i need to buy more glotoobs
i love those things
i have a green one and a white one

greyzen
08-29-2007, 23:41
I like the pretty lights...

Xspect
08-30-2007, 00:01
I think it just look great and easy to communicate

greyzen
08-30-2007, 08:40
I want some of those glowy ice cubes...
and I'm seriously considering buying a bunch of those lights and selling them to divers and kids at a profit :D

scubasamurai
08-30-2007, 09:19
hey i found a web site that sells all that glow stuff, plus the 15 inch glow sticks. think the strobes are annoying , wait till you strap a 15 glos stick to your tank, i just stranp it with the tank strap!!!

ian
08-30-2007, 09:28
For bulk ordering:

Chemical Light / Windy City Novelties
800-446-3200
www.chemlite.com (http://www.chemlite.com/)

mona
02-13-2008, 17:20
Although I'm pretty sure I know what you guys are talking about I just want to double check. The glow sticks some of you use as tank markers are the ones from discount/dollar stores or pary supply stores? You haven't had any problems with them while diving?
I just ask as I got them for my night dive (AOW diver class).
Thanks

terrillja
02-13-2008, 17:22
Although I'm pretty sure I know what you guys are talking about I just want to double check. The glow sticks some of you use as tank markers are the ones from discount/dollar stores or pary supply stores? You haven't had any problems with them while diving?
I just ask as I got them for my night dive (AOW diver class).
Thanks
The cheap ones work fine, but if you dive in murky water the military grade ones are brighter and last longer. I get them from a surplus store.

clayton
02-13-2008, 20:55
glow sticks are ok but i think the battery tank flashers are better and they last for the whole dive some glow sticks are out before the dive is done.

DarinMartell
02-13-2008, 21:59
The glo toobs with the different settings, would one of these settings be intense enough to act as a surface emergency strobe?

terrillja
02-13-2008, 22:01
The glo toobs with the different settings, would one of these settings be intense enough to act as a surface emergency strobe?
Doubt it, or people wouldn't use them on night dives as they'd be too distracting

CompuDude
02-15-2008, 01:58

In an emergency, I'd be using everything I could.

But for planning purposes, no. It's really not designed for that, nor is it really bright enough. There's an SOS setting for the flashes, but if you're close enough to see the light, you're already found without them trying to decipher the pattern.

As for cheap glowsticks, unless you get stuck with cruddy old stock, the general life span is considered 6 hours... WAY longer than most dives without a rebreather. I used to deal with glow sticks a LOT, and I can't ever recall one that wasn't still going strong after 4 hours, except the special high-intensity ones that are labeled as having a shorter life.

Jipps
02-15-2008, 11:39
Blue and green are my prefered colors, but i use red and yellow as well. Then again im not using them for night diving im just using them in dark springs

ArkansasFrogMan
02-17-2008, 20:31
Thanks Compudude... you beat me to it.... I use the military Glo-Tube version. I dive with a group here in Arkansas each have their own color and you can program the strobe sequence. They are also much brighter than chem lights and run for about 40 to 100 hours depending on how they are programed. Easy to clip to BC and the thing I really like...... no trash. Just my thoughts....

pyre24
02-18-2008, 18:02
Ive got to get me one of those glo toobs. They sound great.

plot
02-19-2008, 16:31
I use a glo-toob, it's awesome. When we all have the same color we can just set them up to do different patterns to find our buddies.

I have it ziptied to my first stage.