PDA

View Full Version : ST Review Discount

Straegen
03-18-2009, 15:55
I like that ST encourages posting on the forums by offering a discount on goods as well as a coupon of sorts for 10 and 50 posts. I wonder if the same offer would work for product reviews. LeisurePro has an OK review system, but would like to know what fellow ST shoppers think. They have a small handful already, but maybe giving others an incentive to post reviews on products they buy might be a good thing... or not. Do you think it is something you would use as a reference for purchasing? What do you think?

Just curious.

Gombessa
03-18-2009, 16:08
They have a small handful already, but maybe giving others an incentive to post reviews on products they buy might be a good thing... or not. Do you think it is something you would use as a reference for purchasing?

I usually do my research way before hitting a seller's product page, but in general, reviews can be useful. Don't forget, ST has already had three contests for $100 coupons for people who posted reviews when the system first came up.

On the other hand, if we can all get a $10 coupon just for making a couple of posts on this forum, I can see no drawback to offering the same or more to people who review a certain number of products that they've bought from ST (these, as opposed to forum posters, would already have been repeat paying customers, after all). How about it?

ScubaToys Larry
03-18-2009, 16:14
Yes, we did some give aways for the first few months, but honestly, some of the reviews - you could almost tell that folks were saying something to have a review. I like that now, the people who review something are doing it because they want to help other divers - not try to collect funds.

MSilvia
03-18-2009, 16:37
Maybe a review ratings system would be helpful? If you had a contest that, for example, gave a $10 gift card to someone randomly selected from the highest rated new reviews in a given month, that might help to ensure a steady stream of new quality reviews.

navyhmc
03-18-2009, 16:49
Yes, we did some give aways for the first few months, but honestly, some of the reviews - you could almost tell that folks were saying something to have a review. I like that now, the people who review something are doing it because they want to help other divers - not try to collect funds.

You were giving stuff awau for reviews? Cool! I did some reviews just to review.:smiley20:

MSilvia
03-18-2009, 17:07
You were giving stuff awau for reviews? Cool!
I'll say! I got a lovely pair of Hollis F1s out of the deal!

Gombessa
03-18-2009, 17:12
Some stricter qualifications would probably help prevent the "write as much crap as you can" syndrome. After all, the contests were open to anyone who wanted to write anything about any product.

For example, if you gave a one-time $25 coupon to anyone who reviewed 5 products that they've purchased from ST, you automatically eliminate people who don't own or have never used the product, and you provide an incentive for paying customers to come back and purchase more.

Even if someone wrote 5 reviews just to get the coupon, they're people who wanted the products for some reason, bought them from ST, and used the products, and so they're more likely have something of substance to say, even if their motive is somewhat financially driven.

Further, I think a lot of people would like to help others, and a little push in the right direction via an incentive won't instantly transform that into a big pile of verbal rubbish :)

I imagine tying review submissions into historical purchases is nontrivial though, and would probably take a bit of effort and testing to get right.

navyhmc
03-18-2009, 18:38

Yeah? Well, Larry always liked you better! :smiley36::smiley20:

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
03-18-2009, 18:40

How do you like them? I'm looking for some tech fins so I don't look like a dork in my blue quattros :smiley2:

Straegen
03-18-2009, 23:02
I like the review products you have bought with a bonus for doing so concept. Encourages people to buy more and write reviews.

As for the Hollis Fins... I'm Batman! They look like the coolest fins I have seen (course I am a guy and once loved my comic books). They are probably similar in use and leg workout to the ScubaPro Jets but they do push some ridiculous water compared to split fins. I can't frog kick very well, but see no reason these wouldn't be good in that style as well. Heavy fin compared to the latest high tech offerings, but I think they will probably hold up like the fins of old course that is pure speculation.