PDA

View Full Version : Board Discount for Service?

Rainer
03-18-2009, 18:17
No idea where to put this (if it should be somewhere else, can a mod please move it?).

Do ST board members receive 10% off on reg service, or is the discount only for merchandise? I've sent a few regs to ST before, but never inquired.

Thanks.

clararhb
03-18-2009, 20:13
Good question. I know of someone that is on the board and is looking sending his in. A few bucks is a few bucks.

ScubaToys Larry
03-18-2009, 21:09
No.. Sorry... Reg service is only $49.95 which is about as cheap as we can do and still do a complete reg service... and that is not per stage... but all 3 stages! Of course, parts are free if under warranty for most models.

Rainer
03-18-2009, 21:11
Seriously, it's a not a problem! Clearly it's a super deal (why I keep sending in regs). Was just curious. Thanks for the prompt response.

Don Wray
03-19-2009, 01:31
Does ST service Apeks?

fire diver
03-19-2009, 05:10
Larry, can ScubaToys service ScubaPro regs even though your not a seller?

CompuDude
03-19-2009, 12:05

Yes, they can. They used to be authorized ScubaPro dealers (I actually bought one of my regs there), so they can still service them no problem.

clararhb
03-19-2009, 22:35
Well it was worth a try guys.
I'm pretty sure that they still service scuba pro. I think the guy that I was referring to earlier has a scuba pro reg and sent it in last year.

Drewskey
03-21-2009, 13:27

Yes, they can. They used to be authorized ScubaPro dealers (I actually bought one of my regs there), so they can still service them no problem.

What is funny is how it is cheaper for me to send my stuff to them than it is to pay for just labor at my local LDS that sells/services SP (regs are under SP warranty)...

mksmith713
03-26-2009, 07:14
Less than $50. for all three stages?
What a bargain........

Could you check the accuracy of my SPG while you're at it?

Grizbear98
03-26-2009, 11:46
Out of curiosity, because I don't own my own reg just yet, how much is it for some LDS to service regs?

fire diver
03-26-2009, 12:10
a lot of shops will charge 25-30 per stage plus parts. So it's easy to end up paying over a $100 a year for each set of regs you own.

ScubaToys Larry
03-26-2009, 12:27
Or we do the entire set up, 1st, second stage and octo for $49.95.

Rainer
03-26-2009, 12:30
Well, to be a bit more fair, you do need to factor in shipping. Hasn't stopped me from sending my regs to ST, but it does cut down on the savings somewhat.

Diver Kat
03-26-2009, 12:37
a lot of shops will charge 25-30 per stage plus parts. So it's easy to end up paying over a $100 a year for each set of regs you own.

Yup .... our previous Mares reg/octo set-up was well over $100 for each of us. Just switched to ScubaPro this summer, so I'm going to see what my LDS charges (as we purchased from them.) If it's still pretty high, I think we may be shipping our stuff to ST.

mksmith713
03-26-2009, 13:33
Out of curiosity, because I don't own my own reg just yet, how much is it for some LDS to service regs?

I paid over $100. to have my regs serviced a few months ago.
Granted, they're vintage ScubaPro regs but they've been upgraded and use newer model service kits.

fire diver
03-26-2009, 14:01
Or we do the entire set up, 1st, second stage and octo for $49.95.

Which is just one more reason that ScubaToys is my LDS, even if you guys are 4 hours away!

ReefHound
03-26-2009, 14:09
Well, to be a bit more fair, you do need to factor in shipping. Hasn't stopped me from sending my regs to ST, but it does cut down on the savings somewhat.

While we're being fair let's remember the gas and time it takes to drive to the dive shop - twice. My LDS is 20 miles away (there are closer shops but this is my preferred shop.) At 50 cents per mile operating cost, that's $20 roundtrip times 2 or $40 total. Of course, I try to work visits into my schedule where it's not an extra trip but funny how that never falls into place when I am really needing to get to the shop.

It costs me $7 or $8 to ship my regs to ST in a Priority box.

dannybot
04-02-2009, 15:18
I just sent in a set of regs for service, and noticed that there is no place for e-mail address. If St were to put that on the form, maybe they could send us a reminder to send them in (so I won't have to remember).

thanks,

Danny

clararhb
04-02-2009, 18:51
If you can't remember to send them in once a year then you don't need to be diving. :) I doubt that the manufacturers are that picky about what month as long as you get them serviced.

CompuDude
04-02-2009, 19:08
If you can't remember to send them in once a year then you don't need to be diving. :) I doubt that the manufacturers are that picky about what month as long as you get them serviced.

Some are. You need to service ScubaPro regs within 13 months of your last service if you want to maintain your warranty and free parts for life.

Others are similar... if you can't prove you had your regs serviced like clockwork, if you try to make a warranty claim they could deny it.

Still others don't care. Atomic, if I'm remembering correctly, will actually restore your warranty status after you have your reqs serviced (by an authorized tech) at your expense.

dannybot
04-02-2009, 20:41

Oceanic Worldwide - Owner Services - Warranty (http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/services_warranty.html#alliance)

It specifies: "To maintain this Alliance Agreement, you must show proof of authorized service within the last 12 months through the dealers' verification that includes the service date. This agreement is null and void if such regular annual service is not performed. "

I just don't want to lose out on the free parts.

clararhb
04-05-2009, 11:29
I realize what most say but what does the shop adhere to? I'm sure there are companies and shops that are sticklers and others that probably don't care.
My question would be what happens if the shop that you got service from shut down and you had no proof. Is the manufacturer going to take the chance of pissing a customer off? Questionable call but probably not. Lets face it they have a few bucks in parts and could gain a lot from your references.

CompuDude
04-06-2009, 15:15
I realize what most say but what does the shop adhere to? I'm sure there are companies and shops that are sticklers and others that probably don't care.
My question would be what happens if the shop that you got service from shut down and you had no proof. Is the manufacturer going to take the chance of pissing a customer off? Questionable call but probably not. Lets face it they have a few bucks in parts and could gain a lot from your references.

:smilie39:

You think they care. That's cute. :smiley2:

No receipts, no warranty card, no free parts, unless it's on the local shop's dime. There are exceptions to every rule, of course, but I see a lot more warranty claims denied than honored, especially from the larger companies.

Life's a gamble, and there are no guarantees. This issue isn't going to affect your diving, we're just talking about warrantys and theoretical warranty repair, in end. If it bothers you, make your own decision.

kat
04-06-2009, 23:37
My husband's sp gear is due for service in May. We'll have to see how much we get charged, but we may be sending mine to ST if it's ridiculous.