PDA

View Full Version : Sherwood Brut?

scubasavvy
08-22-2007, 17:38
Hi folks,

I just purchased a Sherwood Brut from my LDS. Does anyone have any experience with the new brut? I've heard it's supposed to be a good deal...

ScubaToys Larry
08-22-2007, 17:40
The brut... as the name applies... is a brut. You will see a lot of shops use them as rentals as they are pretty indestructible. Sherwood regs in general are not known for top performance - and the brut is a little down in their line - but while not a high end performing reg like a Zeagle, or top oceanic - it is a reg that you can toss in your bag, head on your trip, and virtually be assured it will work without problems for you.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Sherwood_Brut_Regulator (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Sherwood_Brut_Regulator)

scubasavvy
08-22-2007, 17:52
Ah, that's good to hear...thanks Larry!

Disneymom
08-22-2007, 19:16
Larry, does the same apply to the old ones?
LDS looked at it, said "oh, I remember rebuilding it - it hasn't been used since; take it diving". I'm a little nervous but it seems to function great in my pool. First serious test this weekend.

crosseyed95
08-22-2007, 21:32
The brut... as the name applies... is a brut. You will see a lot of shops use them as rentals as they are pretty indestructible. Sherwood regs in general are not known for top performance - and the brut is a little down in their line - but while not a high end performing reg like a Zeagle, or top oceanic - it is a reg that you can toss in your bag, head on your trip, and virtually be assured it will work without problems for you.

My wife uses a brut as a backup attached to her pony bottle. It's not expensive and like Larry said: "virtually be assured it will work without problems for you".

cummings66
08-23-2007, 12:36
The brut works, but it's as Larry said not one of the best breathing regs out there. In fact, turn upside down with it and you'll see what I mean. It won't quit on you though.

scubasavvy
08-23-2007, 22:25
The brut works, but it's as Larry said not one of the best breathing regs out there.

I recall him stating that its not a "top performer", what do you mean it's not one of the best breathing regs?

cgvmer
08-23-2007, 22:26
How does it work in colder water (NJ)?

TAH 73
08-24-2007, 06:55

In colder water you may wish to look at the Blizzard, a similar reg to the Brut, but for cold water use.

A local shop uses them for all the retal regs so they should be durable as well.

smoothfin
08-24-2007, 08:02

In colder water you may wish to look at the Blizzard, a similar reg to the Brut, but for cold water use.

A local shop uses them for all the retal regs so they should be durable as well.

yah, i use my blizzard for everything down to ice diving and so far no problem.

fire diver
08-24-2007, 08:21
The brut works, but it's as Larry said not one of the best breathing regs out there.

I recall him stating that its not a "top performer", what do you mean it's not one of the best breathing regs?

It will breath fine up in shallow areas where beginners start out. If you go down to 100 feet and breath on it, then breath on a buddies high-end reg, you will see that its easier to breath the other reg. Don't worry about it, it's a good reg. I had an Oasis, and I never had any trouble with malfunctioning or breathing hard.

FD

cummings66
08-24-2007, 11:43
The Blizzard is not like the Brut, they're different designs with different purposes. By not being a best breathing reg what is meant by that is varied. IME they can breathe wet if you suck hard or turn upside down, and the effort to inhale greatly increases if you turn upside down.

The better Blizzards (keeping with Sherwood) will change when you flip upside down but not enough to want to turn back around. The Brut will make you want to change positions.

It's a solid basic regulator, but it's not as nice as the better regs Sherwood makes. I've used the Brut, and the Blizzard. Speaking from experience I would not use the Brut for the diving I do which is cold water diving and sometimes down deep. I trust it for deep, but not cold water. It's not meant for that.

ReefHound
08-24-2007, 12:09
The Brut first stage is an unbalanced piston design, the Oasis and Blizzard are balanced first stages.

ScubaToys Larry
08-24-2007, 15:05
Larry, does the same apply to the old ones?
LDS looked at it, said "oh, I remember rebuilding it - it hasn't been used since; take it diving". I'm a little nervous but it seems to function great in my pool. First serious test this weekend.

After a rebuild, unless a reg sits around long enough, or in a bad enough environment (heat, humidity) to dry rot o-rings or cause corrosion - it really does not matter how long it sits.

There are a few things in this industry that perhaps are not 100% completely fair. A lot of manufacturers require a 1 year service interval - no matter how many dives. It's really for 2 reasons - 1, make sure no o-rings have gone bad from sitting. 2, Become a profit center for shops that charge $150 to rebuild a reg.

You see on a car - the manufacturer does not tie warranty to "you must change the oil every 3 months" or "you must change your transmission fluid after 2 years". Everything is based on miles. Not in Scuba... Just the way it is.

cvant
05-13-2010, 10:28
The NEW Brut is a much different regulator than the old one. It's breathing performance can be compared to other top regulators with Work of Breathing in the 1.0 J/l range at 165 foot depth. The first stage is now a balanced environmentally sealed piston design. These should be showing up in the market right about now. It's a brand new product.

cam
05-13-2010, 11:29
+1

I got my Brut and Sherwood octo brand new this winter and it's done okay for me so far...then again I've only used it in the pool.

This might have been a fluke but the mouthpiece came off the octo while doing an out-of-air demo with my instructor during an OW class. The zip tie holding the mouthpiece must have been loose. Don't know if you can blame the reg for that though.