PDA

View Full Version : Mares M2 RGBM display

MrBOFH
03-19-2009, 17:49
Having recently been certified I'm looking for my first computer and I'm sofar looking at the Oceanic Veo 180 and the MAres M2. As I am pretty sure I'll go for the Nitrox cert eventually any comp I consider has be Nitrox compatible.

I've 'fondled' (so to speak) a Veo 180 and found I can read the display very well. I've not been able to locate a Mares M2 locally yet, so I'm hoping someone in here can enlighten me on the following. On the Mares website, the product page for the M2 RGBM (http://www.mares.com/product_detail.php?id=227&region=USA) shows a picture with the unit having a color LCD. However, all other images I've found seem to show the unit with a monochrome LCD. Even the manual on the Mares site.

Anybody who has one able to tell me if it's color or Mono?

I'm leaning towards the M2 as it appears to be more conservative and I'm not the young strapping pup I once was. Which includes my eyesight. So being able to read the screen is a prime consideration for me. Also if I get it from here, it's about $40 less than a Veo 180.

Thanks in advance for any help. Did I miss any other comps in this <$250 pricerange that are worth buying?

Travman
03-19-2009, 18:01
I have a Mares Airlab which I believe is similar to the M2. The display looks almost identical to the Airlab's display, without the air integrated section.
The Airlab is easy to read for me. Displays information clearly and is relatively easy to use.

I was considering getting an Oceanic wrist computer until I played with my friends Atom 2.0. Wow, so hard to use. My mate still has trouble using it all the time, getting into the write mode, getting information out of it etc.

Now I have a Uwatec. Massive display, really easy to use.

CODMAN
03-19-2009, 18:10
I have a M2 and can confirm it's monochrome. As far as display goes, it's fine for my eyes. I can see everything without straining. If you have poor eyesight, there is also the Mares Nemowide which has a gigantic screen! But the M2 is definetly a decent size. If you have any specific questions about it, feel free to ask.

Cheers!:smiley20:

CPTOZZY
03-19-2009, 18:59
Having recently been certified I'm looking for my first computer and I'm sofar looking at the Oceanic Veo 180 and the MAres M2. As I am pretty sure I'll go for the Nitrox cert eventually any comp I consider has be Nitrox compatible.

I've 'fondled' (so to speak) a Veo 180 and found I can read the display very well. I've not been able to locate a Mares M2 locally yet, so I'm hoping someone in here can enlighten me on the following. On the Mares website, the product page for the M2 RGBM (http://www.mares.com/product_detail.php?id=227&region=USA) shows a picture with the unit having a color LCD. However, all other images I've found seem to show the unit with a monochrome LCD. Even the manual on the Mares site.

Anybody who has one able to tell me if it's color or Mono?

I'm leaning towards the M2 as it appears to be more conservative and I'm not the young strapping pup I once was. Which includes my eyesight. So being able to read the screen is a prime consideration for me. Also if I get it from here, it's about $40 less than a Veo 180.

Thanks in advance for any help. Did I miss any other comps in this <$250 pricerange that are worth buying?

The M2 is Monochrome. Very good conservative simple and cost effective computer. It also was my first - and It was a good choice at the time. I have one which I no longer need (I got an Air Integrated for my Birthday a Year ago). If you are interested PM or E-mail me.

If you squint you can see it on my wrist in the picture on the left

rawalker
03-19-2009, 21:11
Mt first computer was the Mares M2 and I have used a Veo 250 and now use a Oceanic VT3 and an Atom 2.0.

The Mares is a good solid choice for a first computer and has some very nice features. It is a nitrox computer. It uses standard batteries that are cheap and easy to find almost anywhere. It's battery compartment is water tight and the batteries are user replaceable. Because of the type of batteries it uses the backlighting can be set to stay on during your dive. This can be helpful during low visibility or night diving. It only real drawback if the fact that it uses a very consevative algorithm an so you may find you are the first to end dives consistantly. That may annoy your dive buddies more than you but should be considered.
As for the Oceanic computer it is also a fine product. I'm not sure if the Veo 180 is Nitrox compatible I've used the Veo 250 which is similar and is a Nitrox model. If the 180 also is then I'd consider the model also.
I do believe that all the Oceanic models have a setting to be more conservative if needed. I'd rather have this ability than a more conservative algorithm. If you are going to use a download adapter with the computer I found the IR adapter from Mares to be a bit tempermental where the Oceanic has worked quite well. Oceanic seems to have finally gotten their Oceanlog software to work properly once they release version 2.2.4 which is now a Beta.

MrBOFH
03-21-2009, 09:33
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I still like the Mares but I'm wondering f indeed it being conservative could cause me to have to go up earlier and forcing my buddy to do the same. Decisions, decisions. :-)

CODMAN
03-21-2009, 12:00
Well that depends on yours and your buddies philosophy! You're diving... You're about to reach your NDL, you've been down for 45-50 minutes, your buddy still has 3 minutes NDL... Will he be pissed you sign it's time to ascend?

My buddies wouldn't. And the type of people I like to dive with wouldn't either. That's just the rule of diving! First one at NDL calls the dive! And a few minutes, over a fairly long dive is no big deal to me! If it's a problem for you or your buddies, I'd recommend buying the same computer they have. Then you should be very close.

Personally, a buddy that gets upset for a few minutes over a dive doesn't fit with my diving style and he wouldn't remain my buddy (for diving) very long...

Just my 0.02$:smiley20:

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I still like the Mares but I'm wondering f indeed it being conservative could cause me to have to go up earlier and forcing my buddy to do the same. Decisions, decisions. :-)

BubblesMcCoy
03-24-2009, 20:54
I took my new M2 on my last diving trip and it was great. I agree with a previous post that commented on the size of the unit as well as the stiffness of the buttons. I'm hoping that the buttons will get easier with more use. Also, the M2 does not self adjust for altitude. It's relatively easy to set for altitude, but my buddy had a comparably priced VEO that self adjusted.

As for being conservative, at least when diving air my buddy's veo was nearly identical to mine. The only difference that we could tell was that his veo gave him an automatic 24 hour time to fly, where the M2 didn't go to 24 hour no fly until the second or third dive of the day.

heydn62
03-25-2009, 21:09
I took my new M2 on my last diving trip and it was great. I agree with a previous post that commented on the size of the unit as well as the stiffness of the buttons. I'm hoping that the buttons will get easier with more use.

I just bought one used. At first I thought it wasn't working, but eventually I figured out that you just have to push the buttons REALLY hard. :smiley29: Doesn't look like it gets better with time. It's also slightly bigger than I had imagined it would be.

heydn62
03-25-2009, 21:12
If you squint you can see it on my wrist in the picture on the left

That looks like an interesting dive. Where is that?

CODMAN
03-26-2009, 06:46
Just a quick tip for the buttons on the M2, which by the way don,t get easier with time (at least you won,t accidentaly depress them :smilie39:). When you want to press a button for whatever reason, press hard and keep it depressed untill you hear the audible beep or see the number change on the screen! For some reason when you press too quickly, even if hard, it doesn't register in the unit as well. So good, hard, forcefull depressions are necessary. The same goes for when you need to keep the buttons depressed for a few seconds. You really need to press hard and keep it fully depressed until it registers.
It took me a while to get the hang of it, but now I have no problems whatsoever dealing with the finicky buttons.:smilie40:

It's pretty much the only downside I've found to this computer, at least form me!:smiley20:

fanatique
03-29-2009, 00:57
Question: Aeris XR1 or Mares M2?

Amateur diver looking for a first computer. Don't see myself diving Nitrox down the road, but I really can't say for sure. What are the pros and cons for both? Haven't found a head-to-head comparison online although they are both in the same price category. Would love to here from you guys, thanks.