PDA

View Full Version : Antarctica

Travman
03-20-2009, 01:10
I couldn't find an appropriate forum but I figure Antarctica is "down-under".

I have always wanted to go to Antarctica and I have found a few places that offer dive expeditions. Has anyone done any? Any stories, tips or good companies to have a look at?

baywatch106
03-20-2009, 07:57
Isn't that where Atlantis is because of polar shift?

Travman
03-21-2009, 01:37
I'll let you know if its down there after I dive it.

Reg
03-21-2009, 23:56
I think "Dive Adventures" arrange trips to Antartica. Expensive though. I think its something like $15K for a trip like that.

CODMAN
03-26-2009, 06:54
You really want to dive Antarctica? Out of curiosity, may I ask why? I mean Freaking cold temperature, marine life that is mainly benthic invertebrates (from what IO know of it) such as sea stars, basket stars, urchins, anemones, etc... Not particularly colorfull when compared to tropical waters...

Heck, it would be cheaper to come dive in Canada if that's what you're looking for!:smilie39:

I'm sure you have your reasons.:smiley20: I'm just curious to what they are, if you don't mind sharing...

Cheers!:smiley20:

BubblesMcCoy
03-26-2009, 07:58
You really want to dive Antarctica? Out of curiosity, may I ask why? I mean Freaking cold temperature, marine life that is mainly benthic invertebrates (from what IO know of it) such as sea stars, basket stars, urchins, anemones, etc... Not particularly colorfull when compared to tropical waters...

Heck, it would be cheaper to come dive in Canada if that's what you're looking for!:smilie39:

I'm sure you have your reasons.:smiley20: I'm just curious to what they are, if you don't mind sharing...

I'd go in a heartbeat just to see the spectacular views of the ice flows and the icebergs. The pics I've seen are mind blowing. That and how many people can say that they've gone down in the arctic without the mess and bother of being on a sinking ship.

To me, one of the most appealing aspects of the sport is that it opens up places that so few of the word's population will ever see. By extension, an antarctic dive opens up places that only a miniscule portion of even the diving community will ever see.

I hate the cold, but I'd risk it for the chance to dive a pole.

Travman
03-27-2009, 00:21
I've always wanted to go to Antarctica, part of my goal to visit every continent. I think it would be even more spectacular to see it from an angle even less people get to.

CODMAN
03-27-2009, 14:04
Cool! Hope you make it!!:smiley20::smiley20:

JCAT
03-27-2009, 14:21

I'd go in a heartbeat just to see the spectacular views of the ice flows and the icebergs. The pics I've seen are mind blowing. That and how many people can say that they've gone down in the arctic without the mess and bother of being on a sinking ship.

To me, one of the most appealing aspects of the sport is that it opens up places that so few of the word's population will ever see. By extension, an antarctic dive opens up places that only a miniscule portion of even the diving community will ever see.

I hate the cold, but I'd risk it for the chance to dive a pole.

You might want to check out General Dynamics and Raytheon's web sites. A couple of us tried getting a 6 month tour, but the slots are very, very competitive. There are many people who feel as you do, how many people have wintered over and dove? Not many that for sure.

Good Luck