PDA

View Full Version : SPG Clipped on Chest

Straegen
03-21-2009, 17:03
Anyone clip their SPG to their chest ring rather than hip ring? We found it much easier to check and it was still out of the way once we moved it. Just curious.

Aquatrax
03-21-2009, 17:33
I keep mine there, easy to see, already looking down most of the time anyway, just made sense to me.

awap
03-21-2009, 17:54
I often clip mine there unless I am slinging a pony.

fisheater
03-21-2009, 17:54
I clip my Wisdom2 there.

ektess1
03-22-2009, 00:31
When I wore a BC I ran the HP hose through the arm opening and clipped to the chest D-ring. Clean and out of the way. Easy to read also.
Now that I use a BP/W I clip it to the hip D-ring.
I know what my gas pressure should be so it is not a big deal.
Whatever works best for you.

Gombessa
03-22-2009, 04:15
When I first tried a bp/w, I was pretty paranoid about not being able to unclip and check gas, so I kept it on the shoulder d-ring. It was convenient and easy to read (makes sense, because that's where you would hold it if you unclipped to look at it). I've since moved it to the hip d-ring, and on a properly configured harness and with a little practice, it's really quite easy to unclip, check, stow in one motion, and it really stays out of the way there. I now prefer on the hip.

fire diver
03-22-2009, 04:37
Like many of the others have said, I used to clip off to the chest D-ring when I used a jacket BC. It was easy to read, and kept the SPG from dangling. Since moving to the BP/W I clip it off on the wasit D-ring.

navyhmc
03-22-2009, 05:32
I use a bp/w and clip to the chest harness-easy to read there..

Splitlip
03-22-2009, 06:46
I use a BPW.
I have a 26" HP hose and clip to the left hip unless both hands are occupied. When using my camera I clip it the the left chest d-ring. A little "fuzzy", but it works.

Straegen
03-22-2009, 08:27
I was sure someone was going to tell me why it was a bad idea. Good to know since it is so much more convenient there.

rongoodman
03-22-2009, 08:36
It could be a problem if you have a couple of deco bottles plus a backup light plus the SPG competing for space on one D-ring. Otherwise, the downside is that you won't be getting the practice using the left D-ring that you might need later on.

in_cavediver
03-22-2009, 11:15
Frankly, I don't see ANY issues with it. I do it and I have carried two bottles on that side. If anything, it makes it EASIER for me because with my mask, I can see that d-ring. The hip ring though, it can be a PIA with lots of clips on it and that hose there.

Again, just my opinion. Remember, there are lots of ways to do things that work just fine.

ianr33
03-22-2009, 14:03
If you are doing Open Water dives with just a single tank/doubles I dont see if it makes any difference.

Using a bunch of stages or diving caves/wrecks there are some potential problems:
With 2 stages,a backup light and an spg the left D ring is going to be getting very crowded.
With 2 stages you would have 3 spgs in the same general area,possibility of reading the wrong one by mistake.
If it is positioned so you can see it then it will be beneath your body.More chance of snagging/dragging in silt

CFDAlden
03-23-2009, 01:34
I have mine clipped to my upper left chest ring. All it takes is a glance down to see depth and air.

reactive
03-23-2009, 02:29
Another +1 for clipped to chest D ring

zahgurim
03-23-2009, 03:25
Same.
On my harness setup the SPG is in the perfect spot to see it with just a glance down, but is still very close to my chest and not in the way of anything...

mstrdvr
03-23-2009, 04:22
I clip mine to the chest also , partly because I have a retractor on it and it is still high enough not to drag . And I can pull it out for compass use since I have an all in one console.

mtnplayva
04-02-2009, 15:29
I clip mine to the chest also , partly because I have a retractor on it and it is still high enough not to drag . And I can pull it out for compass use since I have an all in one console. Same here - it keeps it from dragging. I just need to figure out if I want the retractor connected to the bottom of the computer or the compass at the top. Neither feels right so I end up unclipping it when using the compass.

Rainer
04-02-2009, 15:35
Count me in the camp that doesn't get the chest clipping thing.

(1) How often are you checking your gas? I look maybe three or four times all dive, and I already know what it's going to read...
(2) Just adds clutter to the chest. Possibility of mistaking that SPG for one on a deco/stage bottle could be a real problem.
(3) With lots of bottles, you aren't going to be touching back gas much (if at all), so even less of an issue.
(4) What are you doing in dark waters (deep, cave, night) to read the SPG? Just seems to be an awkward spot to hit with a light.

In any case, the waist is clean and easy to get to when you have to. Doesn't add clutter up high where you already have other gauges from other bottles.

Lulubelle
04-02-2009, 15:42
:smiley21:It appears that all of the posters to this thread are men. There is a reason for that. I do not think I will be attaching my SPG to my L chest D ring. It will land somewhere under my chin if I do and I will not be able to see it at all.

For similar reasons, many women prefer wrist mount computers, so that we can SEE them.

Bouzouki Joe is going to help me get my configuration straightened out in a few weeks, and I am mighty thankful for his help.

Splitlip
04-02-2009, 16:59
I clip mine to the chest also , partly because I have a retractor on it and it is still high enough not to drag . And I can pull it out for compass use since I have an all in one console. Same here - it keeps it from dragging. I just need to figure out if I want the retractor connected to the bottom of the computer or the compass at the top. Neither feels right so I end up unclipping it when using the compass.

off the subject, but most will advise against retractors.

Use something like this. Works as well. More robust. The tubing can be inspected and replaced And should it fail, you know exactly how it will fail.
It can then be stuffed in a waist band or cumberbun for the rest of your dive until you zip tie another piece of tub.

A lot less money than a retractor too.

Rainer
04-02-2009, 17:02

Use something like this. Works as well. More robust. The tubing can be inspected and replaced And should it fail, you know exactly how it will fail.
It can then be stuffed in a waist band or cumberbun for the rest of your dive until you zip tie another piece of tub.

Or use string and learn to work a clip... Even cheaper.

Dark Wolf
04-02-2009, 17:13
I don't clip to either D-ring. I route mine with my LP inflator and have the hoses bungee'd together. Keeps it out of the way when I am using stage bottles, and keeps it handy where I can see it easily.

DW

Gombessa
04-02-2009, 17:19
When I first started diving, I was afraid of everything (running out of air, not having a quick release on my harness, etc.), so I really wanted my SPG visible at all times. The chest clip worked great for that. After a few dives, I got more comfortable with the gear and the clips, and started getting better at estimating my gas usage. Now, SPG clipped to the waist is highly preferred, and it's second nature to be able to quickly unclip, swing up, view, and reclip. In short, clipping to the chest became unncessary with just a little time and experience.

demisvmax
04-05-2009, 08:21
Left chest D-ring here too. Works fine for me. Just started diving with bp/w.

Mtrewyn
04-07-2009, 20:11
I have mine there.

I don't look at mine hardly at all but it is the "best of the bad" that I can find, I cannot find a place that I truly "like". So for now there it is.

Rileybri
04-07-2009, 20:23
Left chest dring facing me so all Ihave do do is glance at it to see where I am at depth and air wise.

rsmith4656
04-07-2009, 22:32
Wow!! I clip mine to my right side chest d-ring. I normally will have my light in my right hand so it is best not to have it on my left, don't want to blind myself. I also keep it on a retractor because my eyes arem not good enough to see up close, so I have to extend it to where I can see it when I need to. I do like some of the other ideas on here and I will be trying a few of them though. Thanks Guys and Gals.

wmcyow
04-08-2009, 06:47
[quote=mtnplayva;287456]

I'll second this idea - I tossed my retractor in place of this last year - it works much much better.

gbrdiver
04-08-2009, 07:12
It's easy. Just do what works for you. Take in all the ideas and advice you can...but you're only underwater for you're enjoyment - make the most of it!

Foo2
04-08-2009, 07:46
:smiley21:It appears that all of the posters to this thread are men. There is a reason for that. I do not think I will be attaching my SPG to my L chest D ring. It will land somewhere under my chin if I do and I will not be able to see it at all.

For similar reasons, many women prefer wrist mount computers, so that we can SEE them.

Bouzouki Joe is going to help me get my configuration straightened out in a few weeks, and I am mighty thankful for his help.

I know a lady that is a 40D that clips her gauges to her right chest D-ring, no problems. It's all preference.