PDA

View Full Version : Millbrook, warm day, cold water!

Lone Wolf
03-22-2009, 18:04
We went to Millbrook today, my friend Davey started his TDI DM course, and I got in a couple solo dives. Temps at 80' are 40 to 41 degrees, at the surface around 47. Vis was 15' to 20'. It was nice to bask in the sun between dives though.. Spring is here.

emcbride81
03-22-2009, 19:40
yeah....it aint so bad when you can warm up between dives...its a bummer when it's colder out of the water than in it...

Lone Wolf
03-23-2009, 12:22
I don't know, after diving all winter it feels sort of decadant to be warm after a dive.:smilie39:

emcbride81
03-23-2009, 23:06
oh whatever "Mr. I've got a drysuit while Eric and John freeze their rears off in their 7mil" DON'T COMPLAIN ABOUT BEING COLD TO ME MAN!!!!! Of course I have never broken ice off my gear before.... :)

kat
03-23-2009, 23:20
yeah....it aint so bad when you can warm up between dives...its a bummer when it's colder out of the water than in it...
It is tough coming out of the water when it's colder out of the water. That's how I did my AOW dives.

Lone Wolf
03-24-2009, 11:12
oh whatever "Mr. I've got a drysuit while Eric and John freeze their rears off in their 7mil" DON'T COMPLAIN ABOUT BEING COLD TO ME MAN!!!!! Of course I have never broken ice off my gear before.... :)

I wasn,t complaining, just wanted others to know what to expect week after next when the quarry opens. In truth the only part of me that was cold was my hands, I was down for over an hour!:smiley29: You need to find youself a deal on a drysuit, then you too can go diving at Storm in 0 degree weather. I'll be diving there next winter, and it's always nice to have others to complain to.:smiley36:

tedwhiteva
03-25-2009, 15:12
Eric,
Nobody made you do that third dive!:smiley32:

mocepts
03-25-2009, 15:42
Is there much to see at Millbrook? I was thinking about trying to make it down there this summer. I always make Eric travel this way, thought I might give him a break for once.

emcbride81
03-25-2009, 17:27
Eric,
Nobody made you do that third dive!:smiley32:

*sigh* I know...I know....but the tanks were just sitting there giving us those puppy dog eyes...how could we resist....

emcbride81
03-25-2009, 17:28
Is there much to see at Millbrook? I was thinking about trying to make it down there this summer. I always make Eric travel this way, thought I might give him a break for once.

Compared to Mount Storm there is a TON of stuff. They have some buses, a plane, a cabin cruiser, a Winnebago kind of thing, and some other miscellaneous stuff...other than the cold water at depth it really isn't all that bad for us Darkwater types...

tedwhiteva
03-26-2009, 05:46

Compared to Mount Storm there is a TON of stuff. They have some buses, a plane, a cabin cruiser, a Winnebago kind of thing, and some other miscellaneous stuff...other than the cold water at depth it really isn't all that bad for us Darkwater types...

Bus, step van, police car, cesnna 150, motorcycle, dental chair, life boat, cabin cruiser, 3 other boats, small winnebago van, swing set - oh yeah, and silt!

mocepts
03-26-2009, 06:05

Ahhh, cold water doesn't scare me anymore now that I got the drysuit. I finally healed enough from the wisdom teeth removal to get in the pool and try it out the other night and so far, so good. I think we might head out to Rocky Gap next week for the real test.

mksmith713
03-26-2009, 11:55
Bus, step van, police car, cesnna 150, motorcycle, dental chair, life boat, cabin cruiser, 3 other boats, small winnebago van, swing set - oh yeah, and silt!

That's not silt...... Wait 'til the OW classes hit the water.
Now that's silt........:smiley5:

Lone Wolf
03-26-2009, 13:56
When the ow classes are out you just go deep. They very rarely go below 40', it's to cold. There is quite a bit to see as Ted was pointing out, you just need to know where it is if vis is down. But still definitely worth a trip. Let us know when your coming down, we'll get together and show you the sites!! Be aware, you cannot stay the night at millbrook as you have in the past, only open nights on specific dates.

emcbride81
03-26-2009, 21:49
Yeah, I think a gathering there would be cool...I have only been there 4 times, logged 7 dives, so I have not seen everything. I didn't know that they had a police car! That is cool.

Lone Wolf
03-27-2009, 15:08
It's hard to tell it's a police car now, but it is there. A lot of the stuff doesn't have lines to it so you just have to know where it is. I just recently found the motorcycle.

tedwhiteva
03-27-2009, 20:01
Hey, I'll offer a free guided tour most any time.

I'll even include the pizza man
and
the red/white row boat at 78'/39 degrees! But bring a light - to keep track of each other.

tedwhiteva
03-27-2009, 20:05
Yeah, I think a gathering there would be cool...I have only been there 4 times, logged 7 dives, so I have not seen everything. I didn't know that they had a police car! That is cool.

Legend has it that the police car was donated by Fairfax county to help train police recovery teams. And when the FBI team was practicing evidence recovery they lost two air pistols arounf the car that have never been found. Who was going to use a metal detector for a knife at Mt Storm? -Another opportunity here, although that was two years ago.