PDA

View Full Version : Catch Bag Location

scubasavvy
08-22-2007, 20:21
Where does everyone prefer to put their catch bag? Do you clip it onto your BC or do you carry it down with one hand? I've been free diving for clams and scallops, but I'm planning on doing some lobstering for the first time this October.

bolantej
08-23-2007, 01:59
I tend to just carry it, because it's so big and cumbersome, I want to be able to drop it if I get tangled up.

WaterRat
08-23-2007, 16:20
For my lobster bag I clipped it off to my scooter ring on the crotch strap. I dive a BP/W. Worked pretty good.

Ron

scubasavvy
08-23-2007, 22:50
For my lobster bag I clipped it off to my scooter ring on the crotch strap. I dive a BP/W. Worked pretty good.

Ron

Yeah, I wish I had something that was centered like a crotch strap. I'm thinking that if I clip it to my side it would create too much drag. I may have to fabricate something...

Krakenn
08-24-2007, 06:04
I use a clip on the weight belt and hang it off the side. If you centre it with Australian bags you could end up with an injury. Also after reading about your lobster bitting off fingers you wouldnt get me centering any lobster bags between my legs.

Kraks

TAH 73
08-24-2007, 07:14
I would be hesitant about be clipping off a catch bag, if there was a instance of something wanting what was in your catch bag.

Not a scuba incident but I did have a larger fish take a stringer of fish that I cad clipped to my belt while wading in fishing a couple of years back. In water up to my waist, fish came by and hit the stringer, pulled me off my feet.

WaterRat
08-24-2007, 09:08
Yeah, the lobster I used to hunt didn't have claws. Florida spiney lobster. So I didn't have to worry about getting bit.

I have never spear fished but dove with a few guys that did. Dead fish in a bag is an invite for sharks. These guys clipped their catch bag off about 6 feet above their head on the dive flag/float line.

Ron

scubasavvy
08-24-2007, 09:35
Yeah, the lobster I used to hunt didn't have claws. Florida spiney lobster. So I didn't have to worry about getting bit.

I have never spear fished but dove with a few guys that did. Dead fish in a bag is an invite for sharks. These guys clipped their catch bag off about 6 feet above their head on the dive flag/float line.

Ron

Totally agree with you on that one. I'm going lobstering, so there wouldn't be much going after my catch bag. These have claws, so once I catch one, I'm holding the bag away from me. It's just getting down to the bottom, getting adjusted and then looking around before I take it off the clip...

Charlotte Smith
08-24-2007, 10:45
I would be hesitant about be clipping off a catch bag, if there was a instance of something wanting what was in your catch bag.

Not a scuba incident but I did have a larger fish take a stringer of fish that I cad clipped to my belt while wading in fishing a couple of years back. In water up to my waist, fish came by and hit the stringer, pulled me off my feet.
wow! thanks for bringing that up! I have a stringer of catfish attached to me all the time and I hadn't given that any thought.....

Krakenn
08-24-2007, 19:57
We use a catch bag for crays (lobster)

When we spearfish we use a Omer Atol Float on a 30m float line with a bridle.

When we kill large fish we put the bridle through the gills and let the fish float up the float line and away from the diver.

I thought we were discussing catch bags for crays though we do put smaller fish in a catch bags from time to time. Again the clip is easily removed and dropped if necessary.

Each to their own and what experiences we have in differing arenas of diving I guess.

Kraks