PDA

View Full Version : Helium shortage? Rebreather?

DivingAnarchy.info
03-23-2009, 20:31
Last weekend a Kiss rebreater instructor told me about an upcoming shortage of helium. Obviously he'd do well selling rebreathers when helium becomes too expensive for OC but I was wondering when it becomes financially more interesting to invest in a rebreather course and a unit instead of going the OC path.

How do you travel with a rebreather? do you rent the tanks at location and just bring the scrubber etc?

UCFKnightDiver
03-23-2009, 20:50
lol I think theyve been saying that there will be a helium shortage for years, hasnt exactly happened yet

scubasamurai
03-23-2009, 21:46
some places i travel too ,especially some liveaboards, that it becomes to expensive to stock the neccesssary items for rebreathers. before you make any type of decision take alook at those places you wish to travel to and see what their policy is on rebreathers.
also if we have such a helium shortage, then what about all those disposalble He balloon takes that you can find in any party, walmart target stores?

scubadiver888
03-23-2009, 21:58
lol I think theyve been saying that there will be a helium shortage for years, hasnt exactly happened yet

Try decades.

I think the first time I heard that helium was disappearing from the planet (too light for gravity of the planet to hold it) was 1981.

Technically, there will be a point when it is all gone but I highly doubt it will happen any time soon.

Straegen
03-23-2009, 22:19
We will have helium for a long time, but prices will continue to rise as we keep sucking on the reserves. Once the state reserves run dry helium will likely become far more expensive.

ianr33
03-24-2009, 07:48
The other side of the story is that rebreathers are not exactly cheap. You would need to be doing a LOT of deep diving to actually save money.