PDA

View Full Version : Oh My God Thats Gross!

DirtyWaterIL
08-22-2007, 21:10
On Saturday afternoon I did a charter dive in Lake Michigan. Good dive, lots of fun. I didn't rinse off my gear because sunday night I had a pool class and it gives me a good chance to get the lake funk out of my gear anyways. When I got home on sunday I was so tired i completely forgot to get my gear out of the back of my truck and rinse it off and hang it to dry. It occurred to me at work monday but I figured it isn't very hot outside and its chlorinated pool water so it isn't like its super infested with bacteria now. Well tonight, Wednesday evening i finally rememebered about the wet scuba gear in my truck. BTW, it was HOT today. When I opened up the tail gate of my truck I almost vometed. I lugged the damp stinky bag downstairs to my rinse station to clean it all off. When i opened the bag I had to hold my nose. This wasnt just bootie funk with peed on wetsuit stink. This was like a hundred corpses rotting next to a wet trash pile in a dog doo factory stink. It took me about an hour to get rid of the smell on everything. Hopefully this will be a lesson to me to remember to always bring my gear in and rinse it no matter how exhausted I am.

Centerius
08-22-2007, 21:17
:smiley11:

Sometimes I just feel like going to sleep as soon as I walk in the door, and don't want to rinse my gear off and hang it up -- especially because I usually drive a good ways home after my diving (1-2 hour drive to the springs/panama city). But I make sure if I don't rinse it off, at least I take it out, hang it up, and rinse if off later.

Queen
08-22-2007, 21:18
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb217/Deepliquid/ROFL.gif Excellent use of descriptors!!

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-22-2007, 21:42
[quote= When I opened up the tail gate of my truck I almost vometed. I lugged the damp stinky bag downstairs to my rinse station to clean it all off. When i opened the bag I had to hold my nose. This wasnt just bootie funk with peed on wetsuit stink. This was like a hundred corpses rotting next to a wet trash pile in a dog doo factory stink. It took me about an hour to get rid of the smell on everything. Hopefully this will be a lesson to me to remember to always bring my gear in and rinse it no matter how exhausted I am.[/quote]

Description almost makes yawn technicolor!!:jawdropblue:

DivingsInMyBlood
08-22-2007, 22:15
sounds like (proberbly smells like) the morning after a legendary night out drinking.

chewyjr15
08-22-2007, 22:19
note to self: ALWAYS RINSE

Liv7301
08-22-2007, 23:06
How vivid, detailed and vomitous your description is! I have had some booty funk but dang, nothing like that. I will strive to never reach those levels.

94GTStang
08-22-2007, 23:51
Wow.... I was going to dive Lake Michigan... might reconsider

dmdoss
08-23-2007, 00:19
Man that story will stick with me for awhile. Everytime I goto put my gear up I'll think of "like a hundred corpses rotting next to a wet trash pile in a dog doo factory stink. It took me about an hour to get rid of the smell on everything".

Charlotte Smith
08-23-2007, 07:10
I find that if I remind myself of what my gear costs...I seem to ALWAYS remember to take it to rinse even before I go to get a beer after diving all day!! :smiley2:

Zenagirl
08-23-2007, 07:29
ROFLOL!!! I about had tea coming out my nose reading this!! Thanks for sharing. ;)

creggur
08-23-2007, 07:37
I just bring it home and throw it in the pool. Let it soak there for a while to really re-saturate everything, then thouroughly rinse the chlorine water off..

Then I throw a little shock in the pool to kill whatever rinsed off the gear..:smiley20:

deepdiver47
08-23-2007, 07:44
thanks alot, I was eating my oatmeal............:13344-6:

RECDiver
08-23-2007, 13:22
Sounds like you need to contack Mike Rowe at Dirty Jobs!

dallasdivergirl
08-23-2007, 13:29
Thanks for this tale. I will always remember to rinse as soon as I get home. Whew!

No Misses
08-23-2007, 13:34
Here’s a euphemism for ya’ “That stink would knock a buzzard of a feces wagon”.:smiley26: (I cleaned up the colorful vernacular) or when talking about somebody who forgets to rinse his gear “that guy is so dumb, he couldn’t pour urine out of a boot w/instructions on the heel and a spout on the toe” :smilie39:

I’ll be here all week. Don’t forget to tip your waitress

cummings66
08-23-2007, 15:02
Wetsuits can really bring a man to his knee's if he forgets to clean them up. I'll do it pretty much after a dive, except last night. I waited for 6 hours and cleaned it when I woke up. I've never had the guts to let it go more than that.

DirtyWaterIL
08-23-2007, 15:55
Wow.... I was going to dive Lake Michigan... might reconsider

this funk wasn't from lake michigan..it was from the pool.

wxboy911
08-23-2007, 17:39
If that story was not the best reason to rinse your gear I don't know what would. I think it should be included in the OW class text book...Always Always Rinse and here is why!

cummings66
08-23-2007, 18:16
this funk wasn't from lake michigan..it was from the pool.

That's part of what I don't understand. The pool would probably be rich in chlorine and that should have killed some of the bacteria. I'd bet if you stretched them out to dry it would have been fine.

superkingkong
08-23-2007, 18:17
thanks for the tip.
i wonder why chlorinated water will smell that bad..

CompuDude
08-23-2007, 18:33
Eww.

I love my InstaDry suit. :D

I don't take chances when diving the drysuit, however.

scubafreak
09-03-2007, 20:44
I am so anal about my gear being clean and packed away that I even wash my gear after a late night dive in 9 degree C weather. I kills me when I am freezing my @ss off and have numb fingers while I am washing everything but it is so worth it the next day when my gear is all nice and clean.

Oh well, I figure I have completely lost my mind.