PDA

View Full Version : Lake Michigan

DirtyWaterIL
08-22-2007, 21:22
Whats your favorite wreck?

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-22-2007, 21:35
Whats your favorite wreck?

Don't know yet!! Do you have a source for the nav locations of the wrecks? I found one source that gives the Loran coordinates but haven't found one with GPS. You?

cummings66
08-23-2007, 16:47
Loran and GPS are the same as far as coordinates. Both can be equally accurate. I use both in my plane and most of the time they agree with each other. So, use the Loran ones because it's still lat/long and valid.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-23-2007, 21:48
Loran and GPS are the same as far as coordinates. Both can be equally accurate. I use both in my plane and most of the time they agree with each other. So, use the Loran ones because it's still lat/long and valid.

The problem is I don't have a loran on my boat but I have GPS on my phone.

crosseyed95
08-23-2007, 22:12
"The Great Lakes Diving Guide" by Chris Kohl has tons of wrecks for all the lakes in it. Both GPS and Loran coordinates. I have used the GPS coordinates to locate wrecks and they are pretty close.

I will say there are wrecks not in the book but all the major ones are. I have looked in other Great Lakes Dive guides and they don't have near as many wrecks. Chris's book doesn't have the fancy color photos but the major wrecks usually have a diagram.

This is the book that my local dive shop uses and it's why I bought one for my boat.

Not sure if this helps??

crosseyed95
08-23-2007, 22:21
Forgot to mention that if you are planning on diving this weekend, give me the name of the wreck and I'll see if it's in the book. If it is, I'll post the GPS Coordinates.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-25-2007, 18:52
Forgot to mention that if you are planning on diving this weekend, give me the name of the wreck and I'll see if it's in the book. If it is, I'll post the GPS Coordinates.

Not diving this weekend :smiley19: my buddy's wife went into labor:smiley26: Perhaps next weekend. Hopefully the weather will hold.

Two wrecks sparked an interest one is named the Lumberman, the other was a car ferry that was hauling railroad cars that are still on it. Can't remember the name though.

Thanks!!

JugglingMonkeys
08-25-2007, 20:03
Can anyone make some trips to Lake Michigan during the week?

Not this week necessarily...

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-25-2007, 20:11

With a weeks or so notice I could prolly swing something. Depending on what you are wanting to do I might even be able to provide a boat. Have a 17' so weather and distance would be critical!

JugglingMonkeys
08-25-2007, 20:33

With a weeks or so notice I could prolly swing something. Depending on what you are wanting to do I might even be able to provide a boat. Have a 17' so weather and distance would be critical!

Cool!

I'll be in Chicago for a meeting on Sept. 5 - how about sometime that day?
Morning or afternoon?
I could arrange my meeting around the time...

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-25-2007, 21:04

Cool!

I'll be in Chicago for a meeting on Sept. 5 - how about sometime that day?
Morning or afternoon?
I could arrange my meeting around the time...

Let me see what I can do. I'll PM you in a day or so.

JugglingMonkeys
08-26-2007, 06:12
yes, let's PM.
i'm traveling the next 3 days, but will have access to the web, mostly at night.

thanks

DirtyWaterIL
08-26-2007, 15:13

Not diving this weekend :smiley19: my buddy's wife went into labor:smiley26: Perhaps next weekend. Hopefully the weather will hold.

Two wrecks sparked an interest one is named the Lumberman, the other was a car ferry that was hauling railroad cars that are still on it. Can't remember the name though.

Thanks!!

Sounds like yoru talking about the ss milwaukee.

Cheddarchick
08-26-2007, 16:10
Prince Willhelm

crosseyed95
08-26-2007, 19:21

Thanks!!

Lumberman
LAT 42deg 52.172
LON 087deg 45.420

Milwaukee (the one with the railroad cars)
LAT 43deg 08.178
LON 087deg 49.925

Prins Willem V
LAT 43deg 01.35
LON 087deg 48.59

These GPS Coordinates come right out of the book. Like I said before, they are usually pretty accurate. For the Prins Willem, they don't give the last digit so I just plug in a zero (example 43 01.35 then I put 43 01.350). If there is a marker buoy then you shouldn't have a problem. I haven't been to these wrecks so I don't have them on my GPS so I'm sorry I can't give the exact but I hope the above are right on for you.

In the book, a dive shop has an advertisement. They are called "Len-Der Charters" and the phone number listed is 414-482-1430 with an email of jerryguyer@msn.com. I'm not sure if they are still in business of if the phone number is changed but maybe they can help.

SPECIAL NOTE: The book says the Milwaukee can be a challenging dive. Visiblility is low (15' or less) with lots of wires to entangle. Not sure if this is still true (zerbra mussles) but I just wanted to mention it.

Have fun...

Cheddarchick
08-27-2007, 05:54
There are bouys. And zebra mussels.....

DirtyWaterIL
08-27-2007, 23:05

Thanks!!

Lumberman
LAT 42deg 52.172
LON 087deg 45.420

Milwaukee (the one with the railroad cars)
LAT 43deg 08.178
LON 087deg 49.925

Prins Willem V
LAT 43deg 01.35
LON 087deg 48.59

These GPS Coordinates come right out of the book. Like I said before, they are usually pretty accurate. For the Prins Willem, they don't give the last digit so I just plug in a zero (example 43 01.35 then I put 43 01.350). If there is a marker buoy then you shouldn't have a problem. I haven't been to these wrecks so I don't have them on my GPS so I'm sorry I can't give the exact but I hope the above are right on for you.

In the book, a dive shop has an advertisement. They are called "Len-Der Charters" and the phone number listed is 414-482-1430 with an email of jerryguyer@msn.com. I'm not sure if they are still in business of if the phone number is changed but maybe they can help.

SPECIAL NOTE: The book says the Milwaukee can be a challenging dive. Visiblility is low (15' or less) with lots of wires to entangle. Not sure if this is still true (zerbra mussles) but I just wanted to mention it.

Have fun...

the willie currently has a white bottle acting a marker attached to a mooring line. in calm water you can usually see it from around 30 feet out or so just cruise around for a bit and you will see it. also has a big barrel at 20 ft you can ride like a bull on your safety stop. Len-der charters is still in business and they run an excellent operation out of milwaukee. I'd reccomend them to anyone.

b1gcountry
08-28-2007, 12:42
I was just at the Willie two weeks ago. There is a Tide bottle marking the sight. Fairly visible. I was on the Len-Der. Jerry Guyer is an excellent human being. The 906 Dredge is very nice as well. The Wells Burt is a cool schooner closer to Chicago.

Tom

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-28-2007, 13:23
I was just at the Willie two weeks ago. There is a Tide bottle marking the sight. Fairly visible. I was on the Len-Der. Jerry Guyer is an excellent human being. The 906 Dredge is very nice as well. The Wells Burt is a cool schooner closer to Chicago.

Tom

Do you have the nav posits for the burt?

b1gcountry
08-28-2007, 14:45

Tom

Do you have the nav posits for the burt?
Yes, at home. I will try to remember to post tomorrow unless someone else does first.

Tom

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-28-2007, 21:50
Jugglingmonkeys and I are going to dive the Wells Burt on the 5th. It is a 3 masted wooden schooner that sank in 1883. I'll post a report and details next week.

Coaster
08-28-2007, 23:25

I might be able to do that!

JugglingMonkeys
08-29-2007, 05:33

I might be able to do that!

Great! Are you in Texas or up in the Lake Michigan area?

b1gcountry
08-29-2007, 08:52
Here's the numbers for the Wells Burt. Out of Chris Kohl's TGL Diving Guide...

Loran 33325.5/49977.6

LAT 42*02.762'
LON 087*37.104'

Depth 38-45'

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-29-2007, 09:36
Here's the numbers for the Wells Burt. Out of Chris Kohl's TGL Diving Guide...

Loran 33325.5/49977.6

LAT 42*02.762'
LON 087*37.104'

Depth 38-45'

Thank so much! I found that Chris's book is currently out of publication but that he was going to publish a newer updated version soon. I was even given his home phone number by a local boat captain. I may try callling him today and see when he plans on going into publication again.

Thanks again!!

b1gcountry
08-30-2007, 10:28
Hope you enjoy diving wherever you dive...

in_cavediver
08-30-2007, 21:19
If you want really good wrecks, go north. I've dove a few around Chicage - Wells Burt and Wings of the wind come to mind (and some dredge). The wrecks I dove up in Mackinac made those look like wreck piles. (granted, some are technically in Huron on the other side of the bridge but hey)

Favorite - Eber Ward
http://www.greatlakesunderwater.com/eberward.html
Swam through two decks. Vis was great. Worth the 8 hour drive

Sandusky
Cedarville (600' steel bulk carrier inverted)
Young (just recently found 2004ish, with wheel intact)

http://www.rjdives.com/MACKINAC/

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-30-2007, 22:36
If you want really good wrecks, go north. I've dove a few around Chicage - Wells Burt and Wings of the wind come to mind (and some dredge). The wrecks I dove up in Mackinac made those look like wreck piles. (granted, some are technically in Huron on the other side of the bridge but hey)

Favorite - Eber Ward

Sandusky

Thanks, I'll check into those next summer.

b1gcountry
09-04-2007, 07:58
FYI, the Ward is much more intact largely due to it being 140 feet deep. Something that deep requires some pretty good skills to dive. I've been diving a while and have never been that deep.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
09-06-2007, 12:54
Jugglingmonkeys and I are going to dive the Wells Burt on the 5th. It is a 3 masted wooden schooner that sank in 1883. I'll post a report and details next week.

Well as promised!

Yseterday afternoon we set out at around 2:30 to go find the Wells Burt wrech on Lake MIchigan. Unfortunately there isn't much to report. The lake was choppy with 1' waves going out from the ramp and it impeded our progress to the dive site a bit. We did finally get "close" when an unforcasted and unexpected set of thunderstorms decided to roll through. The wind picked up considerabley and the 1' chop turned into 3-4' boat beaters rather quickly. This was all before we were able to actually get wet by jumping into the water, although the waves did a pretty good job! lol. We were just about to call it a day by 4:30 as there was still a lot of visible lightning to our north. After checking the weather maps though and seeing the worst had passed we decided to continue our search for the wreck. Bit of advice for those who attempt to find these things on your own; bring along a GPS device that reads degrees minutes and seconds accurately and near real time. The one we used only did deg min and the phone gps though more accurate was way too slow to be useful. Personally I will have that remidied by next season. We finally jumped in and started to search for the wreck. Water temps at the surface were in the upper 60's and the thermal was reached at the botoom around 34' where it dropped to low 60's high 50's. Vis was excellent at around 20'. We never did find the wreck (so much for our NAV skills!) but we did get a chance to get wet and swim around.

Lessons learned:

I have a lot of work to do on bouyancy :smiley9:

I need a better NAV device :smiley5:

22lbs with a 7mil suit and hood is way too much weight for me! :smilie39:

big waves on a small (17ft) boat are a real experience! :smiley4:

Wish I could have posted more about the wreck. Since I don't have a dry suit and I hate being cold you'll just have to wait til next year when we try it again.

crosseyed95
09-06-2007, 20:33

Favorite - Eber Ward

Sandusky

100% agreement. They are beautiful..

Kidder
09-06-2007, 21:34
Hey just a general question. What are the conditions generally like in lake Michigan?

Coaster
09-06-2007, 21:47

Well as promised!

Wish I could have posted more about the wreck. Since I don't have a dry suit and I hate being cold you'll just have to wait til next year when we try it again.

That is a great report! I live in Texas and travel to Chicago and Milwaukee on my way UP north.

crosseyed95
09-07-2007, 19:52
Hey just a general question. What are the conditions generally like in lake Michigan?

My experience is that they vary "lots" depending upon the location. This is what I've dove this summer:

Munising (MI): Vis pretty good (40 ft), water around Munising was maybe mid 50's. Last time I dove, we didn't hit a thermocline. I remember colder and I also remember the time (2 years ago) I dove with no hood and no gloves). I've never gone further out than the Selvick (wreck) but I'd guess once you get our from the cove the water temp drops??

Bay of Green Bay (MI/WI): Vis good one day (30 ft, even seen 60 ft) bad the next (4 ft) with water below thermocline in low 40's. This also varies by wreck. This is normal summer. Spring, water colder with visibility being on the bad side. Late fall - same as spring.

Two Rivers/Sheboygan (WI) area: Vis good on one wreck (80 ft) and less on the other (20 ft) with water temp below thermocline of 36 deg.

Mackinac (MI): Vis good (maybe 50 ft) with temp of 41 below thermocline.

Course, even the above varies depending upon the time of year and the above readings are when I last dove. Bay of Green Bay is my home area with the rest being away trips. I'm sure divers from those area would have a better review.

Kidder
09-08-2007, 08:25

My experience is that they vary "lots" depending upon the location. This is what I've dove this summer:

Munising (MI): Vis pretty good (40 ft), water around Munising was maybe mid 50's. Last time I dove, we didn't hit a thermocline. I remember colder and I also remember the time (2 years ago) I dove with no hood and no gloves). I've never gone further out than the Selvick (wreck) but I'd guess once you get our from the cove the water temp drops??

Bay of Green Bay (MI/WI): Vis good one day (30 ft, even seen 60 ft) bad the next (4 ft) with water below thermocline in low 40's. This also varies by wreck. This is normal summer. Spring, water colder with visibility being on the bad side. Late fall - same as spring.

Two Rivers/Sheboygan (WI) area: Vis good on one wreck (80 ft) and less on the other (20 ft) with water temp below thermocline of 36 deg.

Mackinac (MI): Vis good (maybe 50 ft) with temp of 41 below thermocline.

Course, even the above varies depending upon the time of year and the above readings are when I last dove. Bay of Green Bay is my home area with the rest being away trips. I'm sure divers from those area would have a better review.

Thank you for the information. I've thought of a dive trip to lake Michigan. The wrecks sound cool.