PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing steel tanks

MxDiver
08-22-2007, 21:43
I have an old set of steel tanks, they have quite a few scratches but no rust, I have been wondering as to how to refinish them. I thought about galvanizing but I read that is a no-no because the hot dipping could affect them. (I just had the vis and hydro done.
The best I can come up with is sandblasting them to remove the old finish and use something like rust-oleum cold galvanizing compound. You guys have any other recommendations?

FishFood
08-22-2007, 21:53
mediablast them, then cold galvanize them,then put on several layers of engine block or brake caliper paint. Will hold much better than most anything else ive seen.

subsur
08-22-2007, 21:53
you can get a cold galvanizing compound. ZRC is one of them, it has 95% zinc in it, i believe. you just spray on the tank. it's grey colored compound. in terms of paint - use two component epoxy paint over ZRC or leave it like that.

MxDiver
08-23-2007, 15:50
Rust-oleum has 93% and is available at the local home depot.
Now as far as paint I wonder which color....
I can go with black or go or neon green, I remember someone saying the had a green and red one and called them Christmas tanks

Flatliner
08-23-2007, 15:53
TOO COOL, anyone have some old steel tanks we can try on?

MxDiver
08-23-2007, 16:33
TOO COOL, anyone have some old steel tanks we can try on?

Yep, I do, bring on the suggestions. Maybe I should start another thread asking for suggestions on how to paint the tanks.

Flatliner
08-23-2007, 16:37
I have a buddy that does custom paint jobs on AR15s and M4s. I have thought something sort of "army man" would be cool but hey, I am a redneck at heart

MxDiver
08-23-2007, 20:54
Some airbrush work depicting an scene would be cool, but then I'll never use the tanks so they don't get scratched, maybe something with my team colors like this:
http://www.zeagle.com/clientuploads/Jim_Fox_Photos/BCDs/Ranger_Purple_Yellows.gif
What do you think?

NitroWill
08-23-2007, 21:01
LSU Pride? :p thats not that bad - buddy definitely wouldn't have issues identifying you..

MxDiver
08-23-2007, 21:24
I didn't mean those exact colors it was just an example, I'm more into soccer

BSea
08-23-2007, 21:29
I 2nd the galvite. (ZRC). Here's their website (http://www.zincrich.com/p_zrc.asp).

I have some I'm going to use later this year on several old steel tanks. I don't know if the extra 2 or 3 % make much difference, but if it's something you only want to do 1 time, then I would get what I feel would do the best job.

I have talked with several others who have used this product & swear by it.

MxDiver
08-23-2007, 21:37
I'll have to check if ZRC is available locally, I don't think I have seen their products.