PDA

View Full Version : used tank buying thoughts

mselizann
03-26-2009, 14:32
Hey everyone- someone in my town has 2 tanks for sale...........an 80 and a 100. The 100 has a 1996 sticker! on it. The 80 was only dove once (brand new) and has been in storage for years.....
What are your thoughts? Are they worth picking up? If so, for how much- they asked me to make an offer. I just sent an email to ask if they are at least being stored with air in them..............

Rainer
03-26-2009, 14:43
Who knows...

In hydro? In vip? Original manufacturing date? Who made them? How have they been stored? Have you taken a look inside (pretty much a requirement)? Cost?

MSilvia
03-26-2009, 14:46
It's hard to say how much you should offer, but all my steel tanks were purchased used out of peoples' garages. I got a pair of 72s for $45 each, and HP100 doubles with bands and manifold for $550.

MxDiver
03-26-2009, 14:47
Steel or Al?

mselizann
03-26-2009, 15:15
I believe they are AL- I have to go look at them. The wife of the couple is the one I've been talking to about buying them- she's not too sure what they've got sitting there....
We can definately look inside of them- what should I be looking for?

awap
03-26-2009, 15:40
AL 80 & 100 --- Assuming they are out of hydro and produced after 1990, I'd offer $100 for the pair IF I wanted them. An AL 100 is a pretty big, heavy tank. A newer Steel 100 has more favorable attributes, except the price. If you look inside and see clean and dry, that is good. But there really is not much that you should be able to see inside a newer Aluminum tank that would warrant outright rejection. Even a nest of water rats would just demand a good cleaning. Steel tank interior inspection is another issue as they can be destroyed by oxidation.

mselizann
03-26-2009, 20:13
DH would probably love a big heavy tank, to reduce his weight on his belt.......
thanks for the tips- I'll look at them

MxDiver
03-26-2009, 20:34
If we take the luxfer especifications the buoyancy for the AL80@500 psi is +3.4lbs, the buoyancy for the AL100@500 psi is +1.9 lbs, a difference of 1.5 lbs, yet the tank is 10 lbs heavier. Something to consider if you have to haul you equipment to the dive site.

awap
03-26-2009, 20:54
DH would probably love a big heavy tank, to reduce his weight on his belt.......
thanks for the tips- I'll look at them

Oh. Along with big & heavy, the aluminum 100 is still fairly buoyant. If he wants to drop lead, he needs to look at an Steel HP 100. They are smaller, lighter, and less buoyant than an Al100.

See tank buoyancy specs: http://www.huronscuba.com/equipment/scubaCylinderSpecification.html

Daz
03-26-2009, 21:14
If they're AL, I'd recommend checking the manufacturer and manufacture date before buying. If they're Catalinas, then you're good to go, but if they're any other brand you need to make sure of the manufacture date and alloy. Many shops will not fill (even with current hydro/VIP) any 6351-T6 alloy tanks.

The Department of Transportation has released the
following list of scuba tanks that are most likely to be
made from the 6351-T6 aluminum alloy to which a
disproportionate number of tank explosions are
attributable:

All DOT3AL tanks manufactured under one of the following exemptions or
special permits: 6498, 7042, 8107, 8364, 8422;

All composite cylinders manufactured under one of the following exemptions:
7235, 8023, 8115;

All Walter Kidde DOT3AL scuba tanks;

Cliff Impact DOT3AL scuba tanks made before July, 1990;

Luxfer 80.8 cu. ft. scuba tanks (S80.8) made before May, 1987;

Luxfer 72 and 100 cu. ft. scuba tanks (S72, S100) made before August, 1987;

Luxfer 80 cu. ft. scuba tanks (S80) made before January, 1988;

Luxfer 50 and 92 cu. ft. scuba tanks (S50, S92) made before April, 1988;

Luxfer 30 and 63 cu. ft. scuba tanks (S30, S63) made before May, 1988;

Luxfer 40 cu. ft. scuba tanks (S40) made before June, 1988;

All other scuba tanks made in the U.S. before February; 1990 (except Catalina);

All scuba tanks not made in the U.S.

scubadiver888
03-26-2009, 21:28
Daz beat me to it. My LDS has this notice posted at the fill station and on the web site. They will NOT fill 6351 aluminum alloy cylinders. I've seen this posted on a few other dive shops in Southern Ontario.

cummings66
03-27-2009, 07:12
Post the numbers you see on the neck, you'll find the original hydro date on there which will tell you if it's a safe cylinder to buy.

As to looking inside, if the outside looks good, if you're serious about buying it, then and only then air it to look inside. The reason is, if you air it and don't buy it they now have an empty cylinder that will need hydro and vip which will cost them. Incidentally figure that into the cost. I pay here $33 for both of them from the hydro station which is also a scuba shop. After that I do my own inspections.

What to look for, corrosion. On Luxfer's website is a document listed the criteria for an AL cylinder to pass VIP, download and read it. Now you'll know what to look for.

WD8CDH
03-27-2009, 08:23
My rule of thumb is I will still use my 6351 tanks, but I will not go out of my way to get any more because of the hassle of filling them due to misconceptions on the LDS part.

in_cavediver
03-27-2009, 11:04
My rule of thumb is I will still use my 6351 tanks, but I will not go out of my way to get any more because of the hassle of filling them due to misconceptions on the LDS part.

I'd be careful with the 'misconceptions' part. Even the most factual analysis still leads many not to take the risk of filling the 6351 tanks. Its a big risk for the person filling the tank for very little reward ($5-$6). A misconception would be not filling any Pre-1990 tanks for this reason. There are a lot of tanks, pre 1990 that don't use 6351 and are fine.

Personally - for the cost of a tank, its not worth it to have 6351 tanks. (and I have 19 scuba tanks)

CPTOZZY
03-28-2009, 17:00
AL 80 & 100 --- Assuming they are out of hydro and produced after 1990, I'd offer $100 for the pair IF I wanted them. An AL 100 is a pretty big, heavy tank. A newer Steel 100 has more favorable attributes, except the price. If you look inside and see clean and dry, that is good. But there really is not much that you should be able to see inside a newer Aluminum tank that would warrant outright rejection. Even a nest of water rats would just demand a good cleaning. Steel tank interior inspection is another issue as they can be destroyed by oxidation.

How difficult is it to remove the valve from a tank to do a quick inspection?

awap
03-28-2009, 18:15

Simple, but obviously the tank needs to be emptied. Crack the valve and let it hiss. It is best not to empty it too fast as that will cool the tank off quite a bit and may allow condensation inside when you pull the valve. After the tank is empty and close to room temperature, unscrew the valve. This usually takes a light tap with a rubber hammer. Sometimes the heal of your hand will work. If it does not unscrew pretty easly, you may want to let a tech to do it. Sometimes they can be a real wrestling match which is an indication you may not want it. You can see inside good enough with a flashlight. A small light lowered in is even better.

mselizann
03-30-2009, 08:27
Well I bought them- they look really clean- especially the 80, looks brand new...........let's hope one or both pass!
ps- I took a look at the rest of the stuff they had..........most of it is outdated (farmer johns- the mens was a custom made XL tall) fins, mask, weights, etc..........but their octos.regs,gauges, tc. look to be in really good condition- someone may want to pick them up for spares. If anyone is interested let me know, I'll pass along their contact info. Especially the wife's stuff- it had been used only 1 or 2 times.

UCFKnightDiver
03-30-2009, 08:56

Simple, but obviously the tank needs to be emptied. Crack the valve and let it hiss. It is best not to empty it too fast as that will cool the tank off quite a bit and may allow condensation inside when you pull the valve.
After the tank is empty and close to room temperature, unscrew the valve. This usually takes a light tap with a rubber hammer. Sometimes the heal of your hand will work. If it does not unscrew pretty easly, you may want to let a tech to do it. Sometimes they can be a real wrestling match which is an indication you may not want it. You can see inside good enough with a flashlight. A small light lowered in is even better.

Also be careful you dont hit the valve knob area with the rubber mallet as you can crack it, some valves have a area where you can take a wrench and unscrew it, but you need an awfully big wrench to do it, cant remember the size.

mksmith713
03-30-2009, 09:52
mselizann, where are they located?
I'm in MD and if it's Erie, Pa, well....that's a bit of a drive.

mselizann
03-30-2009, 10:28
yes, in Erie, but I bet they would ship stuff, especially b/c they next avenue is ebay