PDA

View Full Version : How much wind is too much?

TennisCoach
03-27-2009, 10:54
Hey Guys, I have a question. How much wind is too much wind for a Dive boat to go out? I remember that when I was doing my Cert back in December they had to cancel the trip a couple of times mainly because of the wind. I am looking at diferent Dive boat operations and they have cancelled trips this week and weekend for the same reason. We are having winds of 15 to 20 mph and seas from 3 to 5 feet I know this are not the best conditions to dive but here in Miami we get that all the time.

Just wondering
CC

John Yaskowich
03-27-2009, 22:08
Hey Guys, I have a question. How much wind is too much wind for a Dive boat to go out? I remember that when I was doing my Cert back in December they had to cancel the trip a couple of times mainly because of the wind. I am looking at diferent Dive boat operations and they have cancelled trips this week and weekend for the same reason. We are having winds of 15 to 20 mph and seas from 3 to 5 feet I know this are not the best conditions to dive but here in Miami we get that all the time.

Just wondering
CC
I'll bet "the call" was made a bit more conservatively for a boatload of people out for their OW cert than if the group had been veteren divers. Divers doing their first open water dives don't need to also contend with high waves and winds.

gbrdiver
03-28-2009, 06:34
I'm used to 25kts as the call.

mitsuguy
03-28-2009, 07:32
Here in Utila, we pretty much have to have hurricane force wind to not go out... wind, rain, sun, whatever, boats go out... unless there are more than 5 foot or so seas, then its the boat captains call...

nice thing about here is that typically the high seas are only on one side of the island, not both, or they are significantly less on one side, so one side may be doable whilst the other is not.... we typically just stay close to harbor on those days...

Tully Mars
03-28-2009, 07:38
I consider the height of the swells more then the wind. Swells make it hard for the Cap't to follow the bubbles and see the marker(s.) And can beat you up trying to get gear and yourself out of the water. Wind can give you the chills on the ride back.

Damselfish
03-28-2009, 09:31
It's waves more than wind, though of course the 2 go together in many places. It's a local thing, some places will avoid conditions when they're much worse than usual for them, even though people dive in all the time much worse elsewhere. It's going to depend some on the passengers. It's also going to depend on the boat, obviously some (usually bigger) boats handle the conditions better.