PDA

View Full Version : Nike Plus

FishFood
03-28-2009, 14:58
Anyone tried out the Nike+ kit w/ the shoe sensor and Ipod receiver?

$30 : http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/

The sensor fits in the sole of your Nike+ running shoes, and the other attatches to an Ipod Nano while you run. Looks interesting. A cheap/easy way to log your runs and stay motivated. I picked the start kit up today from Dick's.

Souvy
04-08-2009, 10:45
I've been using it for over a year and think it's great. There's also a website (free) that I really like called Mapmyrun.com that can import the data directly from Nike +, I can view my training logs and add sessions on my iPhone.

I'd also recommend calibrating the sensor first on a run of known distance. I tried mine out of the box and it was fairly close, but perhaps off by 10% or so. Hope you enjoy it.

tfd86
04-08-2009, 15:03
Yep but it's addictive, try competing against others in the chAllenges

Gombessa
04-08-2009, 16:11
I've been using this for several years now, since I got my gen1 nano. I'm on my third transmitter now.

It's great, even without Nike shoes (which don't fit me). But I haven't been able to calibrate it to a high level of accuracy or precision. Typically it varies anywhere from 0.1 to as much as 0.5 miles every five miles. For general workouts and automated tracking, that's fine. But for longer distances the errors are additive, and for a race of any distance, you could easily find yourself a mile off or more before the finish line, which is kind of annoying.

I see a ton of Garmin Forerunners around, and I'm interested in trying one of those, but I have to admit I've gotten addicted to my music playlists while running, so I'd probably still end up carrying a ipod around as well.

Vlane
04-09-2009, 01:36
I ran cross country in high school and our coach had, or something like, a Garmin Forerunner. Wore it during practice one day and man that thing was awesome. Told you your pace, distance, run time, among other things. If you're serious into running i would recommend it, but yea no music. No music didn't stop us from winning 5 state championships in a row though, and i think they're going on for 8 next year :).

UofTOrange
05-15-2009, 14:13
I love mine. Need to get back to using it.

Zyxistal
05-15-2009, 15:02
It looks like a great idea....unfortunately I prefer to run barefoot and I don't know how well the sensor would attach to my foot.

UofTOrange
05-19-2009, 11:44
It looks like a great idea....unfortunately I prefer to run barefoot and I don't know how well the sensor would attach to my foot.

Hmm, that would look a little interesting. I bet a little duct tape would take care of it though!