PDA

View Full Version : Losing weight while maintaining mass..

SilentEcho13
08-23-2007, 00:06
I'm currently 5'8" 192lbs, and my arms are about 18" solid muscle. All my fat is gathered at my stomach and i'd like to get rid of it.

I currently go to the gym every other day (m-w-f-s-t-t-s) for 2-3 hours.

I'm trying to watch my eating habits, and it seems to be working but very very slowly. (less than 1lb per 2 weeks).

Can anyone suggest any methods/supplements that can help me out?

Thanks.

Jaymeany
08-23-2007, 06:18
Increase the amount of time doing cardio and maintain a range of 70% max heart rate. Also DON'T use one of those formulas to find your max heart rate. Take a good heart rate monitor, warm up then do 5 sets of 100m hills. That should get you close to your max heart rate

ScubaJenn81
08-23-2007, 10:00
I agree. Keep up your weights, but be sure you are doing your cardio in 70-85% intensity range. Diet is such a HUGE component to a weight/fat lose plan. You have to tone down things you do not need in your diet. No matter how good you think you are eating, if you have someone else look at your diet (written down), they can catch someone you may have missed. If you want to post it here, we could help out too.

MagnaBoxer
08-23-2007, 10:52
Check out some of the workouts on this site.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=WorkoutPrograms

There are several that are geared toward maintaining mass / losing fat. Never tried any of them so can't say which may be the best. I'm stubborn and set in my routine, which is probably why I will forever be the same shape that I am now.

Due to my work schedule I can't pick which days I work out but will do something every day if possible. I've recently picked up on the cardio and even started getting in 20-30 minutes after my weight training sessions. On days when I'm not lifting I try getting in 60 minutes on the treadmill, bike, or elliptical trainer. This has helped me more than anything and I'm really hoping for the added benefit of better lung function to improve my bottom times.

If you don't mind trying something different give one of these workouts a shot. It just may shake things up enough to shock your body into responding with some positive results.

Don't waste your time with supplements or diet pills. Been down that road and the only thing that got thinner was my wallet.

Besides, you're going to need to save that money so that you can buy more GEAR from SCUBA TOYS.......

learn2turn
08-23-2007, 14:54
The general consensus in the fitness world is you can't build muscle mass and loss fat at the same time so pick one and make that your priority and stick with that and then cycle every month or two if need be.

So, lose fat. Prioritize that while trying to maintain as much muscle mass i.e., minimize muscle loss.

You must weight train to minimize muscle loss while losing weight. So hit the weights and work each part of the body 2-3/times a week; don't over-train by going more than that. So maybe, whole-body work out 2-3 days a week would work. Or a split, say upper 2-3 days a week and lower 2-3 days or push exercise 2-3 days a week and pull exercises 2-3 days a week.

You can do cardio after your weight workout and also on your off days. It's good for general fitness plus you burn more calories.

The important thing is caloric deficit. You have to burn more calories than you eat plan and simple. Forget all the 65%, 75%, 85% crap. It's calories, not where they come from.

For you cardio, you might try "HIIT" which is "High intensity interval training". Google it; you'll find some article. Basically, instead of steady cardio, you do intervals, say 45 secs max out and then two minutes at a normal pace. Let me tell you, it rocks. It's like cardio nirvana. Whips you into shape big time. The reason it's great for weight-loss, is you get afterburn. With steady cardio, once you stop, within minutes, your metabolic rate goes back to normal. When you do intervals, it stays higher for hours. You also get this effect to a lesser extent by strength training.

highdesert
10-05-2007, 08:57
Do a portion of your weight regimen with lighter weights, but at a faster rate ... turn part of your weight workout into cardio. Move quickly from one set or apparatus to the next. Don't allow yourself recovery time between sets. You will burn weight.

JFH
10-05-2007, 14:13
Opinions are going to vary widely as you see.
IMO you can gain some muscle and loose fat. Cut out the carbs...:(bread, potatoes, pasta, rice) cut out the sweets and eat more protein.
If you want to gain muscle move to basic big lift movements and go heavier. Squats, Bench, Deadlift, Dips, chins, etc. www.t-nation.com (http://www.t-nation.com) has some really good eating plans and workouts. A lot is geared towards the really serious lifters but there are plenty of nuggets out there for the rest of us.
Add fish oil, BCAAs and protein.

Oh yeah, add some intense cardio on the off days.

Charles R
10-05-2007, 14:32
I read a recent study done by Stanford that did 3 groups of people same diets group #1 just diet lost weight mostly Muscle Group #2 cardio lost same weight even fat and muscle Group #3 cardio weight 50% lost mostly fat but some muscle. So I guess there is no way to avoid loosing some muscle while loosing fat just loose the fat then build the lean muscle back

greyzen
10-05-2007, 15:21
those poor innocent mussels...

YellowfinKunkfish
10-05-2007, 15:29
I agree with the earlier post that said, burn more calories than you take in. It's true, that's all you have to do to lose weight.

Cardio is going to burn a lot of calories, building up the muscle is going to burn fat.

You don't have to cut out carbs completely to lose weight, just switch to whole grain, whole wheat, and cut out the sugar. Most people don't realize how much sugar they really eat, esp. if they drink pop.

In 6 months I've lost a total of 45 pounds. South Beach diet, treadmill, crunches, and weights. I'm not starving, I eat when I want, and as much as I want. I just try to exercise more, if I overeat. I cheat on my diet (have to have mexican) at least once a month, so I don't feel deprived.
Sometimes on dive weekends I end up cheating, but I don't worry about it too much, just plan a long surface swim, or offer to tow my buddy!

Good luck!!:smiley20:

Rhonda

freediver
10-05-2007, 18:56
I will tell you what has worked for me personally. I have lost over 40 pounds over the past 6 months but i have been looking for that something to increase my muscle mass and strength. My diet consists primarily of Tuna Fish. I am sure many would frown on supplements being used but I have had phenomenal success with Nano-Vapor and Methyl 1-D XL. I am currently 6'5" & 220 lbs. Strangely though, after being on these supplements for a three week period I am still at 220 lbs but have made great gains in muscle mass. I see this visually but also see that I have lost 5% body fat in that period! I have seen benefit from the use of these supplements.

Mtrewyn
10-06-2007, 00:20
Belly fat is the hardest to loose, I'm pretty solid but still have a little left around the middle, I have always had a issues with this, the only thing that has ever worked for me was to really , I mean REALLY, watch your diet, cut out all extra fat, eat well balanced small meals 5-6 times a day, every 2-3 hrs, and keep my work outs the same, and I still have problems.

Some people just carry the weight there.

highdesert
10-06-2007, 06:45
An easy tip I heard about diet change (away from simple carbs) is to avoid everthing made from flour. Sure, I know you can argue about exceptions, but in general, it's a pretty simple rule.

Ash0r
10-06-2007, 18:17
It looks like you already have a bunch of great suggestions...My only piece of advice is this...Make sure and change up your cardio once in awile. The human body adapts very well and if you continually use the same movement for your cardio day after day, you will begin to burn less calories from it. Find new ways to stress your body.

:borgsmile:

Mtrewyn
10-07-2007, 22:23
It looks like you already have a bunch of great suggestions...My only piece of advice is this...Make sure and change up your cardio once in awile. The human body adapts very well and if you continually use the same movement for your cardio day after day, you will begin to burn less calories from it. Find new ways to stress your body.

:borgsmile:

That is very true, it takes a little while but it does happen.

I think that is one reason interval training works so well!:smiley20:

Scubastud16
10-07-2007, 22:55
I love going to the gym. It's a great stress relief, and I love the way I look. Muscle training does very little for cardio though, so my way to motivate myself to run is to run to the gym and back. I get my heart rate up, and I lift, all in one session!

Avoiding carbs is another way to lose that type of fat. The problem with that is, you will notice a definitive lack of energy. My father is on the Atkins diet, and it has done wonders for him. It's a lifestyle change though, it's not 6-months and done unfortunately.

Danny

Mtrewyn
10-08-2007, 09:38
Ive seen a couple people wined up in the hospital, by eliminating one type of food from their diet, fat, carbs or what ever, the big one was the carbs, she went around 3 months with little or no carbs, than one day pow, she had a breath mint and down she went, two days in for shock, she was fine but every one was standing around going "What happened", so I'm very leary of cutting any one type of food out of my diet, cut it back, or down to very little, yes, but not out, that just does not feel right.

Iceman
10-08-2007, 09:59
Good point!

The most successful people I've known have been those who looked on food and exercise as a life style.

The goal is to be healthy and vital 30 years from now; not just lose weight today.

Life Style; Not Diet. Quality; Not Quantity

Scubastud16
10-09-2007, 00:09
Ive seen a couple people wined up in the hospital, by eliminating one type of food from their diet, fat, carbs or what ever, the big one was the carbs, she went around 3 months with little or no carbs, than one day pow, she had a breath mint and down she went, two days in for shock, she was fine but every one was standing around going "What happened", so I'm very leary of cutting any one type of food out of my diet, cut it back, or down to very little, yes, but not out, that just does not feel right.

Well the key to Atkins is a small amount of carbs. When you start, you go down next to none, and slowly work the number back up.

cmufieldhockey8
10-10-2007, 00:34
Don't be discouraged by losing 1-2 pounds a week.. thats exactly the pace you should be losing it. You're not supposed to shoot to lose more then 10 percent of your body weight in 6 months too.

As far as your diet goes, anything eaten in excess is stored as fat.. excess carbs and excess protein becomes the same thing - fat! Now you can eat a whole lot more carrots and feel full without consuming so many calories consumed then you would eating Twinkies, but they're still both carbs. Veges are just more nutritiously dense. If you aim for eating the high fiber stuff that'll keep you eating healthy and nutritiously dense foods.

Another thing that is HUGE in losing weight is taking how much you would eat in a day and breaking it down into 6 small meals. The more often you eat the more consistent you keep your glycogen levels which keeps your metabolism up so when you eat you store less food as fat. I've got a handout (geared toward athletes) that explains a lot of good basic stuff about how the body reacts to what you eat when you eating/don't eat and how that all effects how you lose or gain weight.

Tom A
10-10-2007, 09:06
i'm 5'7 in may I weighted 200 pounds started working out every morning do tread mill one day elecpicle the next watch what i eat an i'v lost 22 pounds. now 178

bellbadboy
10-10-2007, 16:41
I am on a killer meal plan. Check it out with your workout you will shed the pounds and not believe your eyes, and not be hungry.
Meal 1: 12 egg whites and 1 cup of Quaker Oats
Meal 2: 7 oz. chicken Breast, 1 cup Brocolli and 1 cup white/whole grain rice
Meal 3: 7 oz. chicken breast, 1 cup mix veggies and 7 oz. sweet potato
Meal 4: 12 oz. tuna and 1 cup of oats
Workout
Meal 5: 2 scoops protein shake (whey)
Meal 6: 7 oz. chicken breast, 1 cup brocolli and 5 oz. wht potato
Try and eat every 3 hours, water or unsweet tea only!
Trust me it works.

diver_daver
10-11-2007, 09:57
SilentEcho, if your going to the gym for 2-3 hours your spending two much time in the gym. An hour, hour and half is more then enough. Not knowing what your background in the gym is, I would recommend a personal trainer for two goals {and depending upon the trainer, you may need two different ones}.

First is information, learn what you need to do in the gym and how to plan different programs for yourself. You can also do this on your own through books and the internet.

Second is motivation, I see way to many people in the gym working out for long periods of time, but not working very hard! You should see the looks on peoples faces when I show them how hard they can work.

prodjbm
10-13-2007, 14:47
I didn't read all the replys but there are a few that sound right on and the one is by bellbadboy for a diet high in protien and a whey supplement drink and the other is about being in the gym too long, A good amount of people over train, your body builds during rest, so if you don't rest you don't build. But getting back to your orginal question about cutting weight and keeping size, Diet has all to do with it and if the mid section is the problem, ab work and a lot of it contrary to what I said about over training, you can train your abs almost every work out. I would start my warming up with ab work to get my core body temp up before lifting. Good luck

Scubastud16
10-13-2007, 15:01
I didn't read all the replys but there are a few that sound right on and the one is by bellbadboy for a diet high in protien and a whey supplement drink and the other is about being in the gym too long, A good amount of people over train, your body builds during rest, so if you don't rest you don't build.

Yes, you can be in the gym for too long, but people also usually take too long between sets. More than a minute between sets is a bad thing! Keep those muscles working!

RobT
10-13-2007, 20:22
One thing overlooked, well sort of, here. Do you drink? I don't mean are you a barstool regular, do you have a couple drinks, especially beer each night or when you finish working out?

For some reason people don't seem to consider the calories and carbs involved here.

Everyone is different. Sometimes it takes a completely different approach for one person vs another.

Mtrewyn
10-15-2007, 10:48
One thing overlooked, well sort of, here. Do you drink? I don't mean are you a barstool regular, do you have a couple drinks, especially beer each night or when you finish working out?

For some reason people don't seem to consider the calories and carbs involved here.

Everyone is different. Sometimes it takes a completely different approach for one person vs another.
there are alot of carbs in beer, and any mixed drink , or shot, alcohol is just sugar.

another source that alot of people don't think about in pop, cola what ever u want to call it, check out a can of your drink, close too 200 cal. a Oz bottle, if you drink a whole one it is closer to 400. Diet is better, but it still has caffeine, and that has it's own set of problems.

DZorn00
10-17-2007, 09:09
high Reps, light weights, this is what body builders do to get cut while maintaining their mass. It's like cardio for your muscles. Burns off the fat but keeps the muscle from losing out.

Judge
10-17-2007, 09:21
I'm currently 5'8" 192lbs, and my arms are about 18" solid muscle. All my fat is gathered at my stomach and i'd like to get rid of it.

I currently go to the gym every other day (m-w-f-s-t-t-s) for 2-3 hours.

I'm trying to watch my eating habits, and it seems to be working but very very slowly. (less than 1lb per 2 weeks).

Can anyone suggest any methods/supplements that can help me out?

Thanks.

take a look at their supplements and system......
http://www.bsnonline.net/splash/index2.php

Tableleg
10-17-2007, 11:36
http://www.bsnonline.net/splash/index2.php :smiley5: That's one creepy looking mofo... If following that system makes you look like that... count me out....:smiley5::smiley29::smiley36:

LiteHedded
10-19-2007, 10:24
my understanding is that while you're in a calorie deficit (to lose weight) you're going to lose some muscle mass as well.
but that weight training minimizes it

cyclone
10-19-2007, 16:52
Repetition...if you wanted to keep mass and loose weight. This is my kind of exercise. I like long extreme exercise, I always run 15 to 20 miles a day. Long quality work out. Then my sports are rock climbing and mountain hiking. Think of this, if you work out in many repetition and don't get tired then your resistance is high. Then if you can make a lot of repetition, long endurance plus resistance, you'll be able to keep the mass and loose weight. I refer mass as number of fibers in your muscle. Lean, trimmed and no or little fat.

dludwig
10-19-2007, 19:35
Maybe I'm having a hard time losing weight because subconciously I'm afraid of messing up my buoyancy :smilie39:

mlsm72
10-21-2007, 10:54
If you want to maintain mass and burn fat for 48 hours after your actual exercise, try HIIT(high intensity interval training) I personally do the sprint cycles(30 sec jog, 30 sec sprint) Do this from 4-7 minutes, 3 times a week or every other day and watch your washboard appear. I didnt want the muscle atrophy that comes with prolonged cardio bouts, so I stumbled across this and it works. I am 6', 240 lbs, and maintain this regimen. Another benefit for divers is increase VO2 peak, my air efficiency is incredible. My friends think I have gills....

dludwig
10-21-2007, 14:38
I have looked at HIIT programs unfortunately my knees won't allow sprinting anymore & barely allow the jogging portion. I am trying to adapt the technique to the Eliptical machine but haven't seen the results you do.

namabiru
10-22-2007, 03:33
You may be very well losing mass, but you're just not seeing it.

Here's a couple of things to keep in mind.

We put on weight in a certain order. First the belly, then the hips, then I believe your derrier, and your face last.

Okay, so you know how you can tell if someone has gained weight if their face looks chunkier? That means they truly have, since that's the last place it starts showing.

So. When you start taking off, unfortunately, you go in the opposite order. Your belly, as you see, is first to gain, last to lose. So it may be your face, arms, etc are shrinking, but the weight loss isn't hitting your midsection yet. It sucks, I know.

You might also try taking vitamin B each day. This is supposed to help increase metabolism.

Oh yes. And keeping a food diary, as anal as that sounds, does help you. While you might be mentally keeping track of what you eat, it still helps to be accountable for everything you eat.

A good strategy for money problems, incidentally. Write down every little cent you spend in a notebook and attribute it to a set budget.

mlsm72
10-23-2007, 14:02
I understand about the knees, they sure arent happy with me sprinting. I went to a running store and had them set me up with shoes for my specific physiological running traits. They seem to help quite a bit, but still have to ice and wrap all the time. I guess there is a positive and negative to it...