PDA

View Full Version : Dive Watch Markers???

mksmith713
03-31-2009, 08:32
I have a few dive watches and I have the same issue with all but one.
They're analog and only one has the glow in the dark material on the bezel at zero.
It's not a big deal but I would like to be able to read elapsed time while on a night dive with my light off.

Does anyone know where I can get the paint or whatever they use so I can put a marker on my watches?
If itis paint, how does it last and hold up to saltwater?

fanatique
03-31-2009, 11:05
I own a couple of dive watches myself, was into dive watches long before I was into diving. What you are talking about is the light-sensitive material on the watch face. Depending on the brand of the watch, it's called tritium or lumibrite or any one of many other patented names.

You can actually buy the paint to self-relume your watches if you are DIY savvy, otherwise you can visit some watch enthusiast forums like quartzimodo to find someone to do it for you.

CompuDude
03-31-2009, 11:50
I own a couple of dive watches myself, was into dive watches long before I was into diving. What you are talking about is the light-sensitive material on the watch face. Depending on the brand of the watch, it's called tritium or lumibrite or any one of many other patented names.

You can actually buy the paint to self-relume your watches if you are DIY savvy, otherwise you can visit some watch enthusiast forums like quartzimodo to find someone to do it for you.

Tritium is the radioactive material used in certain SELF-luminating watches, mostly by the military. It literally glows all the time, regardless of light "charge", because it's mildly radioactive. It resides in little tubes of the material, so you only ever get hash marks (and/or watch hands) that self-illuminate, not the entire watch face, and no rounded objects (like numbers).

There are a number of military-esque waterproof watches that would serve fine as a dive watch that use tritium. And a small handful of stupendously expensive high-end dive watches that do, as well. (IIRC)

But for the most part, the "glow" on analog watches has to be charged by a light, and lasts for a varying amount of time (a minute to perhaps 20 minutes for the best ones) before dimming back down to unreadable, and needing another zap with a light to recharge it's glowiness.

If that's good enough, perhaps fantatique is right and you can get ahold of the glow-in-the-dark paint. You'll need a good jeweler to properly open your watch for access to the face for painting, and then re-seal it to maintain it's waterproofing.

mksmith713
03-31-2009, 12:59
I don't need it inside the case or on the face.
I need it on the bezel where the "Zero" mark is.
The face is fine and I can read them fine.
That's no help if you can't read the start time.

CompuDude
03-31-2009, 14:18
I don't need it inside the case or on the face.
I need it on the bezel where the "Zero" mark is.
The face is fine and I can read them fine.
That's no help if you can't read the start time.

Oh, gotcha, that should be pretty easy then if you scrounge up the paint. Buy enough that you can touch it up periodically, because it'll wear off regularly, depending on how much you dive and how often it gets wet.

FoxHound
03-31-2009, 15:20

Tritium is the radioactive material used in certain SELF-luminating watches, mostly by the military. It literally glows all the time, regardless of light "charge", because it's mildly radioactive. It resides in little tubes of the material, so you only ever get hash marks (and/or watch hands) that self-illuminate, not the entire watch face, and no rounded objects (like numbers).

There are a number of military-esque waterproof watches that would serve fine as a dive watch that use tritium. And a small handful of stupendously expensive high-end dive watches that do, as well. (IIRC)

But for the most part, the "glow" on analog watches has to be charged by a light, and lasts for a varying amount of time (a minute to perhaps 20 minutes for the best ones) before dimming back down to unreadable, and needing another zap with a light to recharge it's glowiness.

If that's good enough, perhaps fantatique is right and you can get ahold of the glow-in-the-dark paint. You'll need a good jeweler to properly open your watch for access to the face for painting, and then re-seal it to maintain it's waterproofing.

Dont mean to sound condesending or anything like that just want to point something out. Tritium doesnt actually glow, tritium is used to make phosphorous paint glow. (military optics tech :) )

Getting phosphor paint shouldnt be too bad but be very careful in applying it, having a jeweller do it isnt a bad idea at all. then all you would have to do is shine a light on it a bit before use and a few times during the dive.

CompuDude
03-31-2009, 15:40
Dont mean to sound condesending or anything like that just want to point something out. Tritium doesnt actually glow, tritium is used to make phosphorous paint glow. (military optics tech :) )

Details, schmeetails. ;) The Tritium tubes self-illuminate. Better? :smiley9:

FoxHound
03-31-2009, 20:22
i like it haha

scubadiver888
03-31-2009, 21:16
I wonder if they make glow in the dark marine paint. It would be more durable than regular glow in the dark paint.

clararhb
04-01-2009, 10:36
Ask and you shall receive (http://www.krypta-glow.com/paints.html)!! Super bright and marine versions both talk about underwater. They even make it for autos. Couldn't you see mixing some of that up with a regular color. Driving down the street and your entire car glowed.

din
04-01-2009, 11:31
Ask and you shall receive (http://www.krypta-glow.com/paints.html)!! Super bright and marine versions both talk about underwater. They even make it for autos. Couldn't you see mixing some of that up with a regular color. Driving down the street and your entire car glowed.

yeah, but they only sell it in gallons. handy if you want to dress up like a scooby doo villain, but a little excessive for a rotating bezel.

scubadiver888
04-01-2009, 13:11

yeah, but they only sell it in gallons. handy if you want to dress up like a scooby doo villain, but a little excessive for a rotating bezel.

I see a quart can there as well. You'd have to contact them to see if they sell in smaller quantities or if they have retail stores who carry their products.

DUnder
04-01-2009, 13:56
I found this web site where you can buy 1/2 oz bottle for around $10.00

Glow in the Dark (http://glowinc.com)

scubadiver888
04-01-2009, 15:15
I found this web site where you can buy 1/2 oz bottle for around $10.00

Glow in the Dark (http://glowinc.com)

Apparently there is a lot of technical information about glow in the dark paint on this site. They even have a discussion forum. I wonder if they talk about watching paint dry. :smilie39:

I shouldn't poke fun... my wife wonders how I can spend so much time talking about and doing diving. It is all very boring to her.

clararhb
04-01-2009, 16:18
A forum for paint?

PlatypusMan
04-01-2009, 22:46
I wonder if they make glow in the dark marine paint. It would be more durable than regular glow in the dark paint.

Fortunately, someone has already explained it, so you're spared my question of 'why would you want to paint Marines, anyway?'

..which of course brings on the add-on one of how one goes about painting a Marine in the first place....:anim_kill:

PPM

CompuDude
04-02-2009, 02:42

Fortunately, someone has already explained it, so you're spared my question of 'why would you want to paint Marines, anyway?'

..which of course brings on the add-on one of how one goes about painting a Marine in the first place....:anim_kill:

PPM

I'm thinking Tequila. :smilie39:

fire diver
04-02-2009, 04:25
Marines are easy to paint. Just yell "incoming" and they won't come out of the fetal position for hours.

clararhb
04-02-2009, 19:13
CHACHING!! Good one fire diver.

John Yaskowich
04-02-2009, 20:38
Marines are easy to paint. Just yell "incoming" and they won't come out of the fetal position for hours.
Or put the stuff in a beer bottle, let them drink up and when it comes out their pores, they glow.

din
04-02-2009, 21:00
I was nosing around watch sites earlier today and noticed a seiko that had luminous markers on the bezel. sorry I neglected to bookmark it, but keep an eye out on the various seiko dive watches and you should be able to dig it up eventually. they only make about 3000 different ones. :)