View Full Version : Thai airlines

JugglingMonkeys
08-23-2007, 01:11
anyone flown them?

i've heard some good things...

thanks

Advokat
08-23-2007, 04:25
They are ok. On some planes they dont have tv's built in and no games and etc...but their service is of a very hard standard

namabiru
08-23-2007, 11:01
Now, JugglingMonkeys, you mentioned on the SA thread that you had an internal Asia flight. Could you maybe save a heap of money and fly with Tiger Airways, or Air Asia, or Bangkok Airways? The services are fairly good and inexpensive, you're basically getting an airplane ride. For instance, I flew from Singapore to Hanoi for SGD$120 on Tiger Airways, which is really inexpensive. It would have been less had I not departed from Changi Airport--the departure tax is more. So, if you can, go over the border to Johor Bahru (Malaysia) and take off with Air Asia. Or go to Kuala Lumpur.

Let me know where you're going, and maybe I can help get you there really easily and cheaply. I've done a LOT of SE Asia travel.

JugglingMonkeys
08-23-2007, 16:25
Now, JugglingMonkeys, you mentioned on the SA thread that you had an internal Asia flight. Could you maybe save a heap of money and fly with Tiger Airways, or Air Asia, or Bangkok Airways? The services are fairly good and inexpensive, you're basically getting an airplane ride. For instance, I flew from Singapore to Hanoi for SGD$120 on Tiger Airways, which is really inexpensive. It would have been less had I not departed from Changi Airport--the departure tax is more. So, if you can, go over the border to Johor Bahru (Malaysia) and take off with Air Asia. Or go to Kuala Lumpur.

Let me know where you're going, and maybe I can help get you there really easily and cheaply. I've done a LOT of SE Asia travel.

Guangzhou to HoChiMinCity
then back to Beijing

but my big-time preference is StarAlliance to maintain 1K with United!!

thanks!

namabiru
08-24-2007, 10:05
Ah, I see. I can definitely understand why you're looking at Star Alliance air partners then. Never mind on the "budget travel" advice, then. The only city I've been to anyway in those 3 is Ho Chi Minh, so would have to do some thinking about the other two.

I've heard good about both Singapore Air and Thai Air. Probably just see who will give you the best fare, really. I don't think you can go wrong with either airline. My friend flew Thai and she said it was lovely. I've flown Singapore several times and I thought it was lovely. So... *shrug*

JugglingMonkeys
08-24-2007, 18:39
Sure. thanks

i'm just working price now with both of them.
very high in boht cases.

i may end up having to go with a "generic" chinese airline.

thanks for trying to help!

namabiru
08-25-2007, 09:46
Hmmm... have you considered going through a hub during your trip-- say, Bangkok or Hong Kong?

Anyway, you can perhaps use Cheap Airlines to get to the hub, then switch to Thai/Singapore/another Star Alliance member to get your miles.

Only thing is you can't have a heap of luggage on Cheap Airlines. Check on that.

Maybe go to the Star Alliance website (http://www.staralliance.com) to see what else is available.

Overshooting yourself to get miles? Maybe not. A hub-based Star Alliance flight plus an inexpensive small airline flight may be cheaper too.

JugglingMonkeys
08-25-2007, 10:08
Sure!
Thanks...

Thai will fly from HCMC to Bangkok and then to BJ.
i'm still checking prices.

eyezz
08-25-2007, 10:35
Hey guys, I thing it is a good idea to have a hub. I have traveled SE Asia and flew on Thai Air I liked it clean, good food, and very help full. It is cheap to buy your fight in say Thailand (bangkok) Great place friendly people, very good market place and cheap, Hong Kong great place great food staying at a hotel could get expensive Hong Kong is not cheap, beijing was fun very good market's cheap. Hotels not bad people don't try to speak english as much as Thailand or Hong Kong. All in all it's Culture Shock it's Beautiful.

Have fun

JugglingMonkeys
08-28-2007, 20:41
i got a good price on thai air via FIRST CLASS from Ho chi minh city to Beijing.
just a couple hundred more than economy.
:smiley20:

namabiru
08-28-2007, 22:00
Ah, very good! Plus I do believe Star Alliance awards 125% on miles if you're first class or business class. Or is this just some urban myth which is self-fueled?