PDA

View Full Version : Top pick mask

JugglingMonkeys
08-23-2007, 01:29
i know it's personal preference etc. etc.

but what is your pick for the top mask?

i need to buy a back-up one...
from ST of course.

thanks

medic001918
08-23-2007, 01:53
I use a Mares Liquidskin that I like. The clip design is awesome. I do find that it takes me a minute or two to get it situated properly, and if not tight enough, it will leak. But all in all, it's a great mask and I'd consider purchasing another one.

Shane

brandon
08-23-2007, 02:28
Atomic Sub-frame here.

First mask I've had that fits my face perfectly, I love it!

-Brandon.

Judestudio
08-23-2007, 05:56
Another vote for Liquidskin

rubberduck
08-23-2007, 06:25
Another vote for Atomic. Picked one up earlier this year and love it.

mm_dm
08-23-2007, 07:56
I uses the Zeagle low-volume black mask. Fits almost any face.

Jaymeany
08-23-2007, 08:01
I really like my mask
http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=PanoramicPurge
I dive with a guy that uses this and loves it too
http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Visualator-TUSA

I like the panoramic option with a purge. especially if you are going o snorkel at all. The purge is great for snorkeling.

frankc420
08-23-2007, 08:12
Oceanic Shadow

jeraldjcook
08-23-2007, 08:29
Scubapro frameless

mwhities
08-23-2007, 09:11
Oceanic Shadow

Same here. Any others I've tried leak on my fat face.

Michael

torrey
08-23-2007, 10:23

I've got the TUSA Visualator and really like it, but I've only owned two masks. The Visualator is a vast improvement over the old Scubapro mask I bought when I first started 10 years ago, but with the increased air space, it tends to pull up on the bottom of my nose.

Buoyant1
08-23-2007, 11:33

I've got the TUSA Visualator and really like it, but I've only owned two masks. The Visualator is a vast improvement over the old Scubapro mask I bought when I first started 10 years ago, but with the increased air space, it tends to pull up on the bottom of my nose.

Hmm the Visualator was my first mask, and I've relegated it to staying at home...mainly because it's such a HUGE airspce to clear!

I've been using SeaVisions for the past three years, and love them!

wxboy911
08-23-2007, 11:55
I am using the Cressi Big Eye-great vis and fits my face well.

JugglingMonkeys
08-23-2007, 16:25
wow.
lots of variety!

Phestr
08-23-2007, 20:34
Oceanic Shadow

Same here. Any others I've tried leak on my fat face.

Michael

Ditto

Flatliner
08-23-2007, 20:47
It it's a spare, smaller the better...

However, it all depends on your face. I wanted to get an X-Vision when they were on sale but found it leaked like a sieve with my face.

chewyjr15
08-23-2007, 22:08
i love my oceanic shaddow

3rdEye
08-24-2007, 01:55
i really love my Atomic subframe :smiley20:

pricey, but the best mask i've tried

jimmmyzz
08-24-2007, 11:50
Cressi Sub Horizon. I bought a extra one since nobody has them anymore.

BSea
08-24-2007, 11:56
wow.
lots of variety!
Lots of different faces. No 1 mask works for everyone. I've tried the Atomic frameless, and I liked it, but it didn't fit as well as my Mares X-Vision mask that I bought almost 2 years ago.

fire diver
08-24-2007, 12:03
This year I switched to an Oceanic ION mask. Low volume, doesn't leak, what more could I want? I've still got my old USD mask that leaked like a seive, plus 2 more masks I've found while diving. So I'm pretty well set for backps and loaners.

One of the students on my last dive trip lost his brand new snorkel and din't realize it. Another student (in our group no less) found a brand new snorkel, but not the lost one. So everything evened out there. There's probably still a snorkel on the bottom somewhere in the north part of the cove by the dam at Beaver lake.

FD

LI Diver
11-24-2007, 07:09
I really like my mask
Panoramic Purge Mask, Dive Masks, Tilos, Panoramic Purge Mask (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=PanoramicPurge)
TUSA Visualator Mask, Dive Masks, Tusa, TUSA Visualator Mask (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Visualator-TUSA)

I like the panoramic option with a purge. especially if you are going o snorkel at all. The purge is great for snorkeling.

I second the panoramic, originally by Genesis but several generic unmarked ones out there that are exactly the same.

tarheeldiver
11-24-2007, 09:39
Tusa tri-ex
Fits good great field of vision

mitsuguy
11-24-2007, 16:37
Tusa Serene here... low volume - real close to your face...

might try a few more when I can actually dive with them... they all "fit" my face out of the water, but if I make some weird faces, mine seeps a little, and others I've tried (rentals) have seeped a little too... I know some might be expected, I just want to try some and see if I can eliminate it entirely...

Byte Me
11-24-2007, 16:46
Atomic Frameless. Love this mask!!

CompuDude
11-24-2007, 17:03
The mask that fits best is the perfect mask for you. We could probably put together a list of ideal features in a mask, which may help you decide which mask to try on first, but you would do best to try on almost every mask they have in your local LDS to see which one fits. If more than one fits you perfectly, then you can start looking at features.

For features, I like dual lens masks, first off, because I need to have prescription lenses, and I hate the way they look on single pane masks. Low volume is a very close second. Black (or otherwise opaque) skirt. Then tear-drop-shaped lenses... but this is a very recent addition to my list. Lastly, I make sure the mask has no purge valve to leak or break.

As it happens, I have a pretty small face, so I need a mid-size skirt. This limits me to a much smaller selection of masks. I used to dive Tusa Liberator masks (and the Tilos knock-offs), and still use them for my backups. My current primary is the Mares X-Vision Mid. (The liquidskin is not available in a mid-size skirt, or else I might have one of those... and the Atomic masks that get such raves don't fit me especially well, either.)

It's all about the fit. Given the choice between a mask that met every criteria on my list, but leaked on my face, I would choose the mask that met NONE of the criteria on my list, but fit perfectly and thus did not leak.

CaribbeanDiver
11-24-2007, 18:07
I started with a ScubaPro Crystal Vu then switched to a XS Scuba Merge but now keep the Merge around as a backup and use a Saeko I got from Salvo. I dont think Salvo sells it anymore and I am certain they didnt make it. It is a low volume, black skirted mask that was pretty cheap but is comfortable and doesnt leak.
I also used a XS Scuba Fusion for a while but prefer the Merge and Saeko to all others.

Soonerwink
11-24-2007, 18:23
Another for Atomic Subframe, with black skirt of course. The 5th mask I have owned and by for the best. It is worth the extra money it costs.

ScubaCat
11-24-2007, 20:33
I really wanted one of those masks that had the tear shaped lens for a wide field of vision, such as the Tusa Visulator......my face hit the glass the minute I put it on. I've since learned I can't wear low volume masks so I'm limited in my choice as well. I have an old Tusa (can't remember the name right now) & just recently purchased a Tusa Tri-Ex. Am considering the Mid-Liquid Skin, but it doesn't come w/a black skirt which is a high priority for me. (my first mask had a clear skirt....definately staying w/black this time)

CompuDude
11-25-2007, 02:34
I really wanted one of those masks that had the tear shaped lens for a wide field of vision, such as the Tusa Visulator......my face hit the glass the minute I put it on. I've since learned I can't wear low volume masks so I'm limited in my choice as well. I have an old Tusa (can't remember the name right now) & just recently purchased a Tusa Tri-Ex. Am considering the Mid-Liquid Skin, but it doesn't come w/a black skirt which is a high priority for me. (my first mask had a clear skirt....definately staying w/black this time)

The LiquidSkin does come with a silver skirt that is opaque and won't yellow, thus meeting the majority of the reasons why a black skirted mask tends to be preferred.

It just doesn't come in a mid-skirt size.

Grin
11-25-2007, 08:31
There are lots of things to consider when getting a mask as this thread shows.
I ended up with a Sherwood Mako and a Oceanic Shadow. Basically the exact same masks.
My reasons for choosing this mask after trying many others:
1. I like the one piece lens as I feel it offers max vision.
2. It is a framaeless mask, thus offering a but more max vision.
3. It is a relativly low volume mask, thus more max vision again.
4. Of course this mask personally fits my face very well and never leaks at all, which is a requirment that overrules everything else.

When trying masks on here is the first thing I look for.
Look at the nose piece in relation to the lens offset. A lower volume mask will have the nose sticking out past the lens. Why? As you pull the glass closer to your face the tunnel effect is lessened offering more side vision. You will have more side vision the closer the lens is to your face. There are other reasons for low volume, but that is the primary item I am concerned with. Freedivers take the low volume thing to extremes and you can see masks designed for freediving are almost more like goggles than a mask. Normal larger volume masks usually have the nosetip protrusion, in relation to the lens plane, exactly eqaul to the lens thus the lens is about 1/2-1 inch further away from your eyes. Thus the masks frame must stick out(a tunnel if you will) that much further and robs side vision. This might not be a issue for many, and may be neccessary for many for reasons specific to them, but is defiantly a consideration for you to think about.
The next thing to do when testing masks is to place it on your face with no strap and inhale through your nose. If it doesn't seal eaisly and stay on your face with that suction and no strap, it is going to leak. So try another.
I'm not a fan of the purge valves either. IMO it's gimmik and totally uneccessary. If your mask leaks, it dosn't fit correctly, you need to go shopping for mask that fits. If you get water in your mask underwater it can be cleared easily as you have been taught. If it keeps filling, something is wrong and a purge valve is not the answer.

Xspect
11-25-2007, 09:09
I use a shadow. I made the mistake and let my wife use it. Because hers leaked badly. Now we own two shadows

frankc420
11-25-2007, 17:38
Supposidly the XSscuba Merge is very close to, if not identical, to the Oceanic Shadow. I have not seen one in person (Merge) so I cannot give a definite on that.

Soonerwink
11-25-2007, 17:59
If you can find a LDS that has a pool they will mor than likely let you try it out. One in Tulsa does, and I tried out 4 different masks and didn't buy one from them. I decided on an Atomic Subframe and called other shop in Tulsa, they didn't have one in stock, so called ST. They souldn't sell me one over the phone, against Atomics policy. I called another shop in the Dallas area and they sold me one over the phone. They were going out of business at the time so didn't care about Atomics policy.

thor
04-04-2008, 15:57
Another vote for Atomic Frameless (mid version)

MSilvia
04-04-2008, 16:05
Has anyone tried the Tilos frameless? How about the (high volume but allegedly GREAT field of view) HydroOptics mask that requires contact lenses?

thor
04-04-2008, 16:10
Has anyone tried the Tilos frameless? How about the (high volume but allegedly GREAT field of view) HydroOptics mask that requires contact lenses?

I have a friend who uses that HydroOptics mask and swears it's the best thing since sliced bread. The strange thing is that you either have to wear contact lenses or get special contact lenses to use it, if I am remembering correctly. Plus if you want to see on the surface you have to put some kind of special filter over the mask

ScubaJW
04-04-2008, 16:23
My primary mask is Atomic Frameless medium and my backup mask is Poseidon Technica. Both fit perfectly on my narrow face.

CompuDude
04-04-2008, 16:23

I have a friend who uses that HydroOptics mask and swears it's the best thing since sliced bread. The strange thing is that you either have to wear contact lenses or get special contact lenses to use it, if I am remembering correctly. Plus if you want to see on the surface you have to put some kind of special filter over the mask

If you're lucky enough to have just the right bad prescription, you can wear them without contacts.

If I did, I would dive one. They're way cool. Incredible periphery vision.

But I really hate contacts. I'm not going to wear them just to wear a mask.

cmburch
04-04-2008, 16:43
I like SEADIVE RayBlocker TruVu. Eagleye-SL and Monarch or Pilot.
Excellent clarity. Good for the long surface kicking in the bright sunshine. Sometimes I just wear a cheap pair of sunglasses.

MSilvia
04-04-2008, 16:48
What about the Tilos frameless? As much as I'm loathe to cite them, Scuba Diving gave it top marks in their review of framless masks. It had the best field of view of the lot, at one of the lowest prices. Obviously, I'm in the market for a new frameless or two.

jtkkym
04-04-2008, 17:02
Add one vote for Liquidskin

MicahEW
04-04-2008, 17:54
Scubapro frameless

and another vote I own two of them.

obrules15
04-04-2008, 19:07
I have used the Seavision 2000 (same frame as tusa liberator) without probs for many years. I bought the Mares X-vision midskirt which is ok about a year ago. Now about to try the Atomic Frameless Mid. I will let you know. To me a mask is the most personal of items, you have to dive with it to know.

obrules15
04-04-2008, 19:10
What about the Tilos frameless? As much as I'm loathe to cite them, Scuba Diving gave it top marks in their review of framless masks. It had the best field of view of the lot, at one of the lowest prices. Obviously, I'm in the market for a new frameless or two.

I know Scuba Diving gets a bad rap but in the winter months and off season I will read anything to get a scuba fix so I am a bit fond of it. Also they give numbers in their comparisons which I like. I don't usually like the things they like but the measurements can be helpful when trying to decide what to try.

aquadude
04-04-2008, 19:18
wow.
lots of variety!

The personal preference thing. I use an H20 Odyssey Alpha 2 (cheap mask) because it fits my face perfectly whereas much more expensive masks leak like crazy because they don't fit me well.

MSilvia
04-07-2008, 17:26
What about the Tilos frameless?

Also they give numbers in their comparisons which I like. I don't usually like the things they like but the measurements can be helpful when trying to decide what to try.
I agree, and found the objective rating pretty compelling. Subjectively though, I trust their reviews about as far as I can read them. I'd really like some feedback from someone who's tried one out.

Splitlip
04-07-2008, 18:26
Atomic Framelss with the ultra clear lens. By far the bwst mask I ever owned. Very low profile.
Makes me look cool too :smiley36:. A legend in my own mind.

texdiveguy
04-07-2008, 18:28
The best mask hands down is the inexpensive Trident 2 lens jobber....black skirt of course!

MSilvia
04-29-2008, 10:27
I just got my Tilos frameless (and an o-ring kit) in the mail. Thanks Guys!

It looks great, seems to fit well, and I'll be trying it out on saturday when I do a couple of dives on the bow and stern of the City of Salisbury wreck in Boston harbor. Hopefully, conditions will allow me to get some good video to post along with my impressions of the mask.

coral cowgirl
05-13-2008, 14:56
I like my purge mask but next time I think I'll get one without the purge. I tend to breathe out my nose with it and have some fogging issues I didn't have with my old mask (no purge).

ratown
05-13-2008, 15:28
Oceanic Shadow Frameless FTW...

MSilvia
05-13-2008, 16:12
I just got my Tilos frameless ... I'll be trying it out on saturday ... in Boston harbor.
The mask was great! It's a nice improvement on my field of view, and although I guess I still have a bit of toothpaste scrubbing to do, the low volume mask was always just a half an exhale away from being cleared and fog-free. It's a great option for a backup mask too, as it folds flat and fits nicely in a bellows pocket.

ChrisA
05-13-2008, 16:45
i need to buy a back-up one...

For backup you need a small one that will fit in a pocket. Diverite makes a mask just for this usage.

spatman
05-13-2008, 16:56
i just got a oceanic mako (http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_masks_mako.html) and it fits my big nose very well.

lucidblue
07-17-2008, 11:06
I just bought an Oceanic Mini Shadow to replace my Mares X Vision. I just never liked how the X Vision fit and always a lot of leaking issues. Love the Mini Shadow, it's really comfortable.

Eurodiver
07-17-2008, 11:36
I bought Sea Vision Ultra, Dive Masks, SeaVision, Sea Vision Ultra (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SeaVisionUltra)
It is still in the mail on the way to Germany will let you know if I like it or not.

SlvrDragon50
07-17-2008, 12:15
Another one for the tills excel!

Monkeylemon
07-17-2008, 15:05
Tilos excel, ditto.

Souvy
07-17-2008, 15:22
Cressi Big Eyes for me. Finally found the perfect fit after going through the Mares X-vision, liquidskin, and HydroOpitx