PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic VT3

mulefeathers
08-23-2007, 08:16
Looking at purchasing one of these this week. Any thoughts on this unit. The other unit is the Pro Plus 2 with compass. Information please

skdvr
08-23-2007, 10:24
Well my wife has the VT pro (Older version of the VT3) and my buddy has the VT3 and both of them love them. I am thinking about getting the VT3 myself when I do decide to get a new computer. I like the alarms that can be set and the AI. Nice big display and easy to navigate.

Phil

ScubaToys Larry
08-23-2007, 10:30
It's really the decision of do you need the multiple gas option, and do you like a console or a wrist unit.

I'm sure you will get a lot of comments out here - so I leave it up to our members to chime in with opinions, but if you want to talk about it with us, just give us a call and we can try to help you decide and get you a deal!

Thanks!

cummings66
08-23-2007, 15:55
I bought the VT3, it's pretty much all the computer I'll ever need. I use two gas mixes right now and can see a third down the road so it's perfect for me.

I love the wireless AI, it's never failed on me, ever. It's so reliable that right now I don't even have an analog SPG hooked up. I will once I get my tanks O2 cleaned and add the H valve, but for now I don't worry at all about it, it's a great computer.

So IMO you can't go wrong with this one, it's everything a diver needs and then even more. It's easy to read at depth and at night the glow is very easy to use and read the gage by.

If you can afford it buy it. I like the wrist mount for what it's worth and maybe that's one reason I've never had a signal loss, it just can't get that far from the transmitter unless I meet up with an aggressive shark who's hungry.:smiley5:

If you buy it, download the beta software for it, and then get Ghost's divelog program and use it to print the log entries. I love his software.

Centerius
08-23-2007, 16:58
I bought the VT3 with the transmitter and I love it. :)

MxDiver
08-23-2007, 21:02
I considered buying one, great computer, but at the end I decided to go the no AI route, I will be able to buy two IQ700s for the price of a VT3, one for me one for my wife.
If you want one and can afford the computer and transmitter at once you can always buy the computer and then add the sensor.

mulefeathers
08-24-2007, 04:30
I am going to purchase a complete unit. Computer, transmitter, and usb cable. Thanks I will probably pick it up tomorrow.

cummings66
08-24-2007, 11:23
That's the nice thing about the VT3. It comes complete, just add water. You won't regret buying it, and ST's price and support are top notch.

dmdoss
08-26-2007, 20:48
Well I have the ProPlus II and love it. Havent used the VT3, might have to try it someday.

shanenurse
08-27-2007, 12:18
Bought two of them from ST(one for the wife and one for me) and love them. The alarms remind us rookies to look at them, and to heed the warnings. Enjoy downloading the dives afterward too. One minor issue, if you are a Mac person, they dont download to a Mac, but they work fine on the Wife's PC.

reefugee
08-30-2007, 12:50
I have the VT3, and have been quite happy with it. I don't think you will regret purchasing one.

The only other unit I serious considered with the UWATEC AI wrist. I like that UWATEC "predicts" how much time you have left underwater.

Centerius
08-30-2007, 17:43
I like that UWATEC "predicts" how much time you have left underwater.

You make it sound like the VT3 doesn't do that. The VT3 has time remaining based on air, NDL, or PPO2 (whichever dominates).

in_cavediver
08-30-2007, 18:42
Wow, I didn't realize how much these things cost! (and I thought my VR3's were bad at $1200ish each for 10+ gas OC trimix non AI wrist computer)
EDIT: Nevermind about the cost. I need to learn to convert foreign currency before I post.........

My only concerns are the lack of trimix support and the DSAT model its based on for the cost. (the DSAT model in its original form isn't for intentional deco diving).

ianr33
08-30-2007, 21:08
My only concerns are the lack of trimix support and the DSAT model its based on for the cost. (the DSAT model in its original form isn't for intentional deco diving).

That would be my concern as well,is the algorithm suitable for deco dives? My guess is that it is not,which means that having the capability of using 3 gasses is kind of pointless.

From the Oceanic Website:
"These data were used to validate the PADI Recreational Dive Planner and are the basis of the algorithm used in all Oceanic Personal Dive Computers (PDCs)"

To me the VT3 seems to be a recreational computer that is pretending to be a technical one. If it all hits the fan on a big dive and none of the tables I am carrying are appropriate do I really want to trust some extrapolations from a recreational algorithm?

cummings66
08-30-2007, 22:25
I don't know that you need to be doing deco dives to justify the VT3. I'm sure I wouldn't trust it doing a deco dive, but I can switch gas mixes and have it keep track of things. That's not something that only a deco diver might do.

frankc420
08-30-2007, 22:43
mulefeathers, I dive the VT3, and love it! If you want to take a look at it before your purchase (which you might already have at DSS), let me know and I'll make a point to meet up with you somewhere :)

ianr33
08-30-2007, 22:44
I don't know that you need to be doing deco dives to justify the VT3. I'm sure I wouldn't trust it doing a deco dive, but I can switch gas mixes and have it keep track of things. That's not something that only a deco diver might do.

Why would you switch gases during a non deco dive?

paintsnow
08-30-2007, 23:08
i have it and i love it
the only think i would have done different is i would have gotton the VR3 so that i was ready for more technical diving, but this will be great for now and it wont be a bad backup later on

ScubaToys Larry
08-30-2007, 23:34

Perhaps a profile where you want to drop on down to the bottom of a wreck or wall at 140, then after a visit there, you head up to 100 for a bit, then up to the upper deck or shallower part of the wall at 60 - 40 where you switch to a 36 mix.

ianr33
08-31-2007, 09:23

Perhaps a profile where you want to drop on down to the bottom of a wreck or wall at 140, then after a visit there, you head up to 100 for a bit, then up to the upper deck or shallower part of the wall at 60 - 40 where you switch to a 36 mix.

I understand what you are saying but how many people have ever done something like that?

I suppose you could use it with sidemounts that have slightly different O2 concentrations as well. Neither of these are your standard recreational dive.

As this is Scubatoys I will be polite! : For me,personally, I have no use for a VT3. If I wanted a recreational computer that can do a gas switch I would get a DiveRite Duo. If I wanted a "real" technical computer then the options come down to either a VR3 or HS Explorer. (And hopefully soon the Nitek X and the Liquivision X1)

Just my opinion

cummings66
09-01-2007, 09:17
I have done what Larry said, that's why. Diving Nitrox on unknown sites sometime brings with it limitations and if I could not switch gasses I would not be able to do the dive. Usually it's only a problem with 40% mixes and something changes the dive plan and you're on a boat.

The need to change gas has only happened twice, but if you dive 40% mixes often enough it's bound to happen.

You're allowed to dive with the gear you like and I know you don't like the VT3, I personally like it as do my dive buddies who have one. It's one of the best recreational computers out there IMO, I don't think I'd use it technically as anything other than a bottom timer.

ianr33
09-01-2007, 09:33
You're allowed to dive with the gear you like and I know you don't like the VT3, I personally like it as do my dive buddies who have one. It's one of the best recreational computers out there IMO,

Thats cool. the world would be a boring place if everybody had the same opinion !

What sort of dives are you doing where you use 40%?

cummings66
09-01-2007, 22:27
Shallow dives where I'm taking photo's of fish and various rock formations, things like that. With an HP120 I can stay down a long time looking for them and taking pictures or videos.

Kidder
09-03-2007, 21:34
VT3s kick ass I love mine the buddy check is a nice touch. I tried it when my buddy was diving a Oceanic VT pro

joemamma
06-13-2010, 15:46
I bought 2 VT3s from S/T; one for me, and one for my wife. We couldn't be happier. We are not using all the features yet, but felt is was a computer we could "grow into".