PDA

View Full Version : Help me with Noob comp ?'s

Illini_Fan
07-11-2007, 21:19
You'll get lots of opinions on this -- but I actually purchased a computer before I did anything else. Scubatoys was running a sale on their Aeris Atmos2 stock and I was heading down to Cozumel for my first set of dives.

The Atmos 2 is nothing fancy, although it does support the standard Nitrox mixes. I like mine fine, but haven't used anything else.

JahJahwarrior
07-11-2007, 21:29
I kept my eyes open, and found a Scubapro SPG and a Suunto Favor S for $60. The Favor S is an ancient computer (alteast 3 years old!) that only does air. It is the shape of a hockey puck. But.....well, an SPG and a computer together for $60? I jumped on that faster than you could say "." :) I still use it, and will continue to, until I start diving nitrox, when I'll hav eto upgrade to something that will do multiple mixes.

My advice would be keep an eye on the market and research research research!! If you feel you need something new, Scubatoys DOES have some of the best prices onthe internet, and you can bet that if I don't buy my next computer used, it'll be coming from ST! Watch the sales and closeouts on ST, there really are some amazing deals from time to time, and great deals always!

And if the cost difference isn't much, I would advise getting a computer that can do nitrox. :)

CompuDude
07-11-2007, 21:50
Start simple. Get something like the Oceanic Veo 180 and it'll be years before you outgrow it... if ever. Depends on what type of diving you ultimately want to do, but meanwhile, it'll still be quite a while, if ever, before you need anything other than a simple Nitrox computer.

Wolfie2012
07-11-2007, 22:44
Start simple. Get something like the Oceanic Veo 180 and it'll be years before you outgrow it... if ever. Depends on what type of diving you ultimately want to do, but meanwhile, it'll still be quite a while, if ever, before you need anything other than a simple Nitrox computer.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Listen to him, there's wisdom in those words. Couldn't have said it better myself :)</DIV>

medic001918
07-11-2007, 23:28
Starting simple has a number of benefits to it. You can see how much you'll really be diving, and even a basic computer will be enough to handle your diving. There are quite a few inexpensive computers capable of handling nitrox as well should you ever decide to get into that. One recommendation that I have to make is to get a wrist computer. I wish I had done that in the beginning. I currently dive an Oceanic Pro Plus 2, which is a great computer. But the idea of a wrist mount with a simple SPG appeals to me much more. So much so that I'm going to sell my PP2 after I get my wrist mount.
<DIV></DIV>I think we got my fiance's Aeris XR-2 wrist computer for somewhere between $200 &amp; $300 from scubatoys. The Veo 180 is another inexpensive viable option.
<DIV>
Shane</DIV>

ertechsg
07-12-2007, 01:11
Buy what you can affored. Do you want hoseless or console. I have a VT PROmy wife has a ATMOS2and loves it(easy to use). Plus if you live nearscuba toys and buy from them, they take 10% off nitrox course. My comp was$550 my wife's was $299

jacewindu
07-12-2007, 09:01
i'm in a similar position, and considering the VEO 180. It should last me quite a few years before I need an upgrade. I've used the VEO 100 and liked it, and 180 covers Nitrox - which will be my next step.

georoc01
07-12-2007, 09:25
I agree with the posters above. I picked up ademo Veo250 and it is definitely worth it. As a new diver, it really helps when making the deco stops at 15 feet with a countdown. Plus I like being able to download my dives to a computer afterwards. I rememberwhen loggingsome cool dives trying to remember exactly what my start time was. The computer stores all that type of info for you.

wxboy911
07-12-2007, 17:34
I have been doing some shopping for my first computer-seeing how I am renting regs till I find one I like I am going with a wrist computer. The number one spot on my list is the Mares M2-lots of functions including audible alarms for depth and ascent, Nitrox, and on and on. What really caught my eye was that the batteries were AAA and easy to replace. Just some food for thought.

frankc420
07-14-2007, 11:32
I wanted a computer, but wasn't sure what I wanted. Then one day while diving in Pensacola, FL, I went into a shop and a guy was still wearing his computer after a set of dives, it was the Oceanic VT Pro. I was impressed just by how it looked! After hearing all the features it had and the ease of browsing the menus etc, I was set to buy one. The air integration just made it that much more appealing!

Then, I heard that Oceanic was releasing a newer version called the VT3, so I waited and waited and it was finally released, by the time it was released I was broke, so I had to wait awhile and start saving. Then, someone posted on scubaboard.com that they wanted to sell their for $425 or so, bingo bango, I'm not the owned of a Oceanic VT3.

Ok, since I'm done rambling, I'd say find out what you want, then watch the classifieds sections like a hawk to see if you can find one used. Or just buy the VT3 from Scubatoys, you won't regret it :)