PDA

View Full Version : How to un-stink boots

awmurray
08-23-2007, 08:54
I'm new to diving and so far I've only been in the local quarries. After diving, I make sure to rinse off everything with clean water. Everything dries up fine except the neoprene boots. Those sort of reek of rock quarry-- not a great smell.

In the past, I've soaked them while at work and then if they still stink I'd soak them the next day. It takes between 3-4 days of doing this to get them smelling OK again.

So, is there a secret? How do you guys clean your boots and get them smelling tolerable again? It also seems to take forever for them to dry. I try to keep them upside down and open (to avoid mildew/fungus growth), but still it takes a long time. So, what are the secret methods?

ScubaToys Larry
08-23-2007, 08:57
This stuff works good http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MiraZyme8oz It's an enzyme that eats the odor causing bacteria.

And to dry them... Just like KC and the Sunshine band explained:

Shake, Shake, Shake... Shake, Shake, Shake... Shake your bootie!

Just kidding... :smiley36:

(Been waiting to use that!)

Charlotte Smith
08-23-2007, 08:59
The Mirazime(sp) works great!

DarkCoffee
08-23-2007, 09:02
Boots always smell bad. You really want to get grossed out, leave your wet gear in a closed bag in the sun. :smiley13:

I rinse/bath/soak the boots in a 'Sink the stink' solution (or a neoprene cleanser solution) and add a touch (spoonful) of bleach to the bath.

Once the boots are truly *DRY* I give a squirt of 'Fabriz' fabric deodorizer to the inside (just a misting) and do a final drying before storing them away.

Lots of folk have their own rituals.. They all work. IMO, the real key is the drying

awmurray
08-23-2007, 09:03
This stuff works good http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MiraZyme8oz It's an enzyme that eats the odor causing bacteria.

So how do you use it? Do you add a small amount to water and soak for x amount of time?

WV Diver
08-23-2007, 09:34
I wash mine and my wet suit in the washer and they do fine. If this doesn't work a good soak in a solution of 10% bleach for about 10 min. will do the trick.

I use this often with my work gear for decontamination concerns, it won't hurt your equipment over time either. I have been doing this fairly reguarly for years.

cummings66
08-23-2007, 16:09
There is an enzyme used for carpet cleaning that works as good as sink the stink does and is cheaper.

I've seen and used Vinegar myself and alcohol to boot. Both will work as well. The key is to kill the bacteria.

lucidblue
08-24-2007, 21:16
There is an enzyme used for carpet cleaning that works as good as sink the stink does and is cheaper.

I've seen and used Vinegar myself and alcohol to boot. Both will work as well. The key is to kill the bacteria.

I was going to say try white vinegar too. I've recently found out people use vinegar for many cleaning, stain fighting and odor fighting uses.

cummings66
08-24-2007, 21:38
The only thing about vinegar is when you're done there is still a slight smell, but now it's vinegar. It's easier to get out though than the stink. I've tried the alcohol bit afterwards and it seems to get rid of smells too.

lucidblue
08-24-2007, 22:11
The only thing about vinegar is when you're done there is still a slight smell, but now it's vinegar. It's easier to get out though than the stink. I've tried the alcohol bit afterwards and it seems to get rid of smells too.

I haven't tried the vinegar on my boots yet, they're next on the vinegar list. I have used it for bath towels that still keep that faint moldy smell even after washing them... works like a charm and there is no vinegar scent left over after they dry. I use 1/2 detergent and 1/2 vinegar. Also used it on white sheets that were starting to get yellowish even after washing (I don't like using bleach). Sheets came out pure white and really soft.

3rdEye
08-24-2007, 22:26
they are the worst.....after diving in a quarry and walking around in them on a hot summer day, it's a bad combo. anyway, i used some Febreze, seemed to work, so far.

CaribbeanDiver
08-25-2007, 09:41
when I return from a dive trip, I soak my gear in a large trashcan full of water with a little dishwashing liquid (like dawn for instance). not a long soak, just a few minutes, then I pull them in and out of water to rinse them well and hang em up to dry.
much to my surprise they do not smell after this process.

namabiru
08-25-2007, 09:57
What about some borax in the bootie? Borax helps a lot with eliminating odor bacteria.

Or maybe try washing your stuff in some Woolite.

Or baby shampoo.

deepdiver47
08-25-2007, 11:58
use baking soda guys, it will neutralize all odors. If you want them to smell good you can also as above, baby shampoo and woolite :)

cummings66
08-25-2007, 18:17
I don't think the Terminator could neutralize the odors I've smelled lately in my gloves, hood, boots, drysuit, etc. I've seen some good descriptions of it though.

Jaymeany
08-25-2007, 18:20
This works well on really smelly clothes but i don't know if it wotks as well on wetsuits http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/sm-double-clean-activewear-wash--pi-2055735.html
might be worth a shot.

Buc Chick
08-26-2007, 00:30
I use baby shampoo and a little diluted Listerine--leaves my booties minty-fresh.

Rascal1933
08-26-2007, 19:05
MiraZyme/Mirazime is Awesome stuff !
Works great on boots,wetsuit,Bc etc.....

Had heard about it before,and finally picked some up on my last trip into Dallas and ScubaToys. :smiley2:

tnfireman
08-26-2007, 20:50
I use the cheap Listerine mouthwash from the dollar store, a cup or so in the rinse water does wonders.

namabiru
08-26-2007, 22:20
The only thing I can think of, though, is that while it's wonderful to neutralize odor, you might also want to consider trying to kill the little fungi/whatever that are causing the offending scent. Perhaps, then, it would be prudent to first use something like vinegar, and then follow up with the mouthwash to get rid of the vinegar smell.

Or, depending on the fungi, baking soda may take care of them too.

DUnder
08-27-2007, 11:59
I have had good luck washing them with a mild anti-bacterial soap and then soaking them in water with anti-bacterial mouth wash.