PDA

View Full Version : Fins for women

Haleys20
04-03-2009, 18:34
Does anyone else have a hard time finding womens gear??
I'm looking for fins right now but have no clue what to buy I'm 5'7 and 107 female of course if you have any suggestions please let me know. I'm about to start diving for an Aquarium so I won't need a fin for long distances.

Damselfish
04-03-2009, 20:05
not really. As far as fins, you don't see woman's fins because there's not really a need. Not sure what would make it a "woman's" fin. It's not like BCs where a difference in cut and style can make sense.

Decide if you want paddle or split fins, whole foot or open heel. There are a zillion threads around here where people have discussed the pros and cons of each. Consider avoiding the heaviest fins if you think you might ever want to pack them for travel, and probably the ones that are at the bottom of the reviews. Then pick out some that fit your feet (or booties) and feel comfortable. Really any mainstream scuba fin will work fine.

Lulubelle
04-03-2009, 20:09
Ah, but there is a need for women's fins for some of us. I have a 10AAAA shoe. Far too narrow for the fins that are out there. I am squishing into a small Atomic with 1/4 of my foot hanging out of the front and it is still a little bit too wide. Best I can do with what is out there.

Diver Kat
04-03-2009, 22:54
Ah, but there is a need for women's fins for some of us. I have a 10AAAA shoe. Far too narrow for the fins that are out there. I am squishing into a small Atomic with 1/4 of my foot hanging out of the front and it is still a little bit too wide. Best I can do with what is out there.

Have you seen the new EZ Travel Finz by Zeagle? Wonder if they would work for you ... they strap on like a sandal. Kind of an interesting concept ...

Lulubelle
04-03-2009, 23:35

Have you seen the new EZ Travel Finz by Zeagle? Wonder if they would work for you ... they strap on like a sandal. Kind of an interesting concept ...

I'll check it out Kat, thanks. Force Fin makes one that has an adjustable width, but I'd have to buy them just to try them as no one here sells them.

Zenagirl
04-04-2009, 16:41
The only fins I consider "women's fins" would be the pink ones you can get from Tusa and (I think) Mares. Otherwise, it's a matter of finding what works best for you.

I use Mares Avanti Quattros and LOVE them.

Lulubelle
04-04-2009, 16:54
The only fins I consider "women's fins" would be the pink ones you can get from Tusa and (I think) Mares. Otherwise, it's a matter of finding what works best for you.

I use Mares Avanti Quattros and LOVE them.

Zena girl, I have been through every fin brand out there and still have to choose for my fins to fall off or for them to hurt my feet. I choose the hurt my feet so far. I'd be mighty happy if someone made narrow cut fins that I could try. I can't find a narrow enough boot either, or I would just fill up the inside of the fins with boot.

Mares had a boot a couple of years ago that was more narrow, but I was not a diver then. They are much wider now.

Funny that you mention colors...one of the pairs I own is a purple pair of TUSA Imprex paddle fins in a small. These were a tad more narrow. All of the other TUSA fins were way too wide. These are just OK in fit, and I have a neoprene sock and a too wide hard bottomed boot inside of them.

I'm not trying to get them to fit like a shoe, just to be reasonablly comfortable and not have so much play that they fall off or move so much side to side that I lose the power of my kick.

mrm777
04-04-2009, 23:09
Have a pair of the Zeagle Tel Oz fins...they pack perfectly flat in the bottom on any carryon...but they're more work than any other fins I've had. Probably a good choice for faraway low current diving.

Diver Kat
04-04-2009, 23:13
Have a pair of the Zeagle Tel Oz fins...they pack perfectly flat in the bottom on any carryon...but they're more work than any other fins I've had. Probably a good choice for faraway low current diving.
??? You have the new EZ Travel Finz? Or the Talon fins? Couldn't really tell from your post ...

Grizbear98
04-05-2009, 01:06
I have long, size 10, but narrow feet. It makes finding fins pretty tough some times. The ones I'm using now are Tusa imprex tri-ex paddles, they seem to fit me well with my boots on. I like the angle the fins are bent at, it makes kicking easier. I just ordered the Tusa Xpert zooms that are on sale, so I'm hoping those have a similar foot fit. However, I've used other Tusa fins before I bought my own pair that didn't fit me as well even in the same small size, those seemed to be wider and less comfortable. I also got more cramps with those fins, the blade was a lot harder. For women, it really comes down to what fin fits you the best and I guess color and style of fin such as split, force, paddle, ect.

Lulubelle
04-05-2009, 07:53
I have long, size 10, but narrow feet. It makes finding fins pretty tough some times. The ones I'm using now are Tusa imprex tri-ex paddles, they seem to fit me well with my boots on. I like the angle the fins are bent at, it makes kicking easier. I just ordered the Tusa Xpert zooms that are on sale, so I'm hoping those have a similar foot fit. However, I've used other Tusa fins before I bought my own pair that didn't fit me as well even in the same small size, those seemed to be wider and less comfortable. I also got more cramps with those fins, the blade was a lot harder. For women, it really comes down to what fin fits you the best and I guess color and style of fin such as split, force, paddle, ect.

Hi Griz, I have the TUSA Imprex Tri Ex fins in a small (10AAAA shoe). What boot have you found that fits? I have tried on boots ad nauseum and they all leave about a 1/2 inch of side to side play. Right now, I am wearing a neoprene sock under a hard soled boot and there is still a lot of play. The xpert zooms were far wider on my feet. My other pair is Atomic, also in a small. My foot pokes through the toe pretty far of course, which isn't so comfy, and they almost fit my width.

Do share your boot choice with me. AAAA as you know are the narrowest on the planet and fin finding has been a great challenge and I still don't have a great fit even with the ones I have bought. Finding a good fitting boot would be very helpful.

Zenagirl
04-05-2009, 08:18
Have you considered wearing a pair of wool socks inside your boots instead of thin neoprene socks?? Yes, I'm totally serious....I wear Merino wool hiking socks inside my booties, more for chafe protection and a better fit than warmth, but the extra warmth doesn't hurt either. ;)

Cotton socks would work well too, but I chose wool since they won't leach warmth out of my feet like other fibers. Mine aren't what I would call "thick", but you definitely would be able to buy the heavy ones that might give you the measure of comfort you're looking for. Plus the padding inside your boots would feel really nice.

Lulubelle
04-05-2009, 08:51
Have you considered wearing a pair of wool socks inside your boots instead of thin neoprene socks?? Yes, I'm totally serious....I wear Merino wool hiking socks inside my booties, more for chafe protection and a better fit than warmth, but the extra warmth doesn't hurt either. ;)

Cotton socks would work well too, but I chose wool since they won't leach warmth out of my feet like other fibers. Mine aren't what I would call "thick", but you definitely would be able to buy the heavy ones that might give you the measure of comfort you're looking for. Plus the padding inside your boots would feel really nice.

I'll try that, thanks. I have lots of wool hiking socks. They may work better. The neoprene sock inside a neoprene boot is icky, you have an ocean inside your boots when you step out.

Zenagirl
04-05-2009, 16:16
Well, the wool socks definitely are soaking wet when you're done diving, but at least you can wring them out! <LOL> I hope it works for you.

Grizbear98
04-05-2009, 18:27

Hi Griz, I have the TUSA Imprex Tri Ex fins in a small (10AAAA shoe). What boot have you found that fits? I have tried on boots ad nauseum and they all leave about a 1/2 inch of side to side play. Right now, I am wearing a neoprene sock under a hard soled boot and there is still a lot of play. The xpert zooms were far wider on my feet. My other pair is Atomic, also in a small. My foot pokes through the toe pretty far of course, which isn't so comfy, and they almost fit my width.

Do share your boot choice with me. AAAA as you know are the narrowest on the planet and fin finding has been a great challenge and I still don't have a great fit even with the ones I have bought. Finding a good fitting boot would be very helpful.

I'm wearing DeepSea men's size 7 boots, I could probably go to an 8 but I don't think they would be tight enough so I deal with the squashing of my toes in them lol. Your's are probably more narrow than mine, I've never herad AAAA before, but when I was younger, I had to buy specified narrow shoes in the girls sizes. The deep seas do seem to run a bit narrower though, at least the ones I have. I picked them up at my LDS 3 years ago for a decent price since I was new to the sport and was buying gloves and renting a wetsuit too, they gave me a small discount on what now I guess would be reasonably priced boots, 32 bucks for boots and gloves. They're a 6.5 mm boot that I wear even in the tropics, I get cold easily on my extremities, and have never felt too hot when it comes to my feet.

Lulubelle
04-05-2009, 22:38
I'm wearing DeepSea men's size 7 boots, I could probably go to an 8 but I don't think they would be tight enough so I deal with the squashing of my toes in them lol. Your's are probably more narrow than mine, I've never herad AAAA before, but when I was younger, I had to buy specified narrow shoes in the girls sizes. The deep seas do seem to run a bit narrower though, at least the ones I have. I picked them up at my LDS 3 years ago for a decent price since I was new to the sport and was buying gloves and renting a wetsuit too, they gave me a small discount on what now I guess would be reasonably priced boots, 32 bucks for boots and gloves. They're a 6.5 mm boot that I wear even in the tropics, I get cold easily on my extremities, and have never felt too hot when it comes to my feet.

Good to hear...The boots I have are Deep Sea, men's size 8. I couldn't get into a shorter boot. They have probably a half an inch too much width. The neoprene sock I wear underneath fills up a little but not enough. I may try a wool sock underneath if that doesn't squish the toes too much.

AAAAs are not easy to find. They are also called super slim by some makers. I can't always find them. My athletic shoes are a AA and I put thick insoles in them. Just haven't quite figured out the best solution for fins.

John Yaskowich
04-07-2009, 07:30
Lulubelle, have you thought of glueing pieces of neoprene to the outsides of your boots to build up the width you need? You can probably get a chunk from your LDS (old ripped rental suit they are throwing out) and use AquaSeal.

If you wanted to get really energetic take the narrow boots that fit, have a cobbler glue / sew a wider sole to them and build up the width as needed.

Or pad the insides of your fins' foot socket with the strips. I would probably pad my boots as it would allow me to use alternate fins as needed.

Lulubelle
04-07-2009, 07:56
Lulubelle, have you thought of glueing pieces of neoprene to the outsides of your boots to build up the width you need? You can probably get a chunk from your LDS (old ripped rental suit they are throwing out) and use AquaSeal.

If you wanted to get really energetic take the narrow boots that fit, have a cobbler glue / sew a wider sole to them and build up the width as needed.

Or pad the insides of your fins' foot socket with the strips. I would probably pad my boots as it would allow me to use alternate fins as needed.

Awesome idea, thanks. The socks can only go so far as they take up length while taking up width and I am already in the shortest boot that I can get into. Agree about building up the boot and not the fin although I might consider doing a little bit of both. Thanks.

aperkins
04-07-2009, 08:13
You could try Kid's stuff. I have a size 5 foot and had a hard time finding fins that fit. I currently have a pair of childrens U.S. Divers fins that I got at Wal-Mart. Don't scoff though, they fit great and appear every bit as high quality as Scubapro.

Lulubelle
04-07-2009, 08:43
You could try Kid's stuff. I have a size 5 foot and had a hard time finding fins that fit. I currently have a pair of childrens U.S. Divers fins that I got at Wal-Mart. Don't scoff though, they fit great and appear every bit as high quality as Scubapro.

The problem there is that I am a size 10, just very narrow. I've tried the kids, my foot is way too long. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Sierra23
04-18-2009, 19:35
Oceanic Vipers are light weight and very low cost. Fit is well for my size 10 narrow feet. Great action and work well for travel and for any diving - cave, muck, drift, wreck, etc. I had a spring strap with a cover added on. Fins are a very important part of your diving equipment and everyone's needs can be a little different. It is good to check around. I have had fins that were too stiff and created some serious leg cramping. Happy hunting.

Lulubelle
04-18-2009, 19:46
Oceanic Vipers are light weight and very low cost. Fit is well for my size 10 narrow feet. Great action and work well for travel and for any diving - cave, muck, drift, wreck, etc. I had a spring strap with a cover added on. Fins are a very important part of your diving equipment and everyone's needs can be a little different. It is good to check around. I have had fins that were too stiff and created some serious leg cramping. Happy hunting.

Hey, thanks! I have not tried these and will.

cruzan
05-14-2009, 19:01

I'm using the Tusa Xpert Zooms now and love them but my feet are not narrow.

debullenbulle
07-22-2009, 22:30
I have jet fins and I like them very much with my dry. I am a 5 feet woman. The only think is that they are heavy for travelling, I will get avanti quattro, mares. I don't know if they are leighter?

mike_s
07-23-2009, 11:21
Does anyone else have a hard time finding womens gear??
I'm looking for fins right now but have no clue what to buy I'm 5'7 and 107 female of course if you have any suggestions please let me know. I'm about to start diving for an Aquarium so I won't need a fin for long distances.

have you considered these for womens fins?

http://www.cnsm.csulb.edu/departments/geology/people/bperry/Geol303photos/global%20warming/highheel-flippers.jpg

lizsmith12
07-23-2009, 17:58
I don't like the idea of fin for women. do you really find it nice? :smiley29:

CompuDude
07-23-2009, 18:55
I have jet fins and I like them very much with my dry. I am a 5 feet woman. The only think is that they are heavy for travelling, I will get avanti quattro, mares. I don't know if they are leighter?

The Mares fins are indeed much lighter than Jet fins, for travel. You might also consider the OMS Slipstream fins, which look nearly identical to Jet fins but are made from tough plastic instead of heavy rubber, so they are much lighter. I don't know if OMS makes them in the smaller sizes, however.

babs13
08-17-2009, 03:33
THe old school scubapro fins are narrow. Also, I'm not sure what you are wearing....neophrene booties, drysuit soft boot or drysuit hard boots? If you have such a problem with fins, consider wearing a pair of tennies eg converse over some booties?