PDA

View Full Version : Lubing threads on hoses

COScubaBob
04-05-2009, 10:47
I getting ready to attach a new Octo to the first stage regulator and was wondering if it's good / bad / "no big deal" to use some teflon thread sealant (like the Loctite material used for gas lines, etc) or even some teflon tape.

Obviously the O-ring should do it's job, but I can't see where it would hurt to use a thread sealer of some type. Since I've never noticed anything like this in my set-up or those used by others, maybe it's not used for a good reason.

Advise and Opinions???...............
thanks!

mitsuguy
04-05-2009, 11:03
no need for it... a small, very small dab of lube on the o-ring is all that is needed...

Other than there is no need for it, the only thing it could do would be to attribute to contamination of the hose and regulator, so that when it does need its servicing, it is much more difficult to thoroughly clean...

awap
04-05-2009, 11:32
A wayward piece of the thread tape could end up being inhaled or compromising the o-ring seal. It is totally unnecessary.

clararhb
04-05-2009, 11:37
Could it also not let something not seat in the first stage and create a free flow??

nrembis
04-05-2009, 12:03
I agree no lube is needed, I have seen hose o-rings blow out of the 1st stage from folks getting carried away with lube. Prevents you from properly tightening it down.

reeldive
04-05-2009, 17:43
If you use lube use the right kind!! LTI Christo-Lube. if you are going to use Nitrox. Otherwise Trident silicon "O" ring lube should be fine. Lube very lightly! Never over tighten the hose!! No more than 40 inch pound

COScubaBob
04-05-2009, 20:29
Thanks to all of you for the info. I do have some lubricant for the O-rings that I've had to replace in the past, and it looks like that's still the best - and only - way to go.

comet24
04-05-2009, 20:38
If you do lube only the o-ring and wipe off all the excess.

CompuDude
04-06-2009, 15:41
Most people I know (myself included) don't use any lube when connecting their reg hoses.

No Misses
04-07-2009, 09:53
Only dynamic o-rings should be lubed.

Static O-rings (no lube)
LP connection to 1st stage
HP connection to 1st stage

Dynamic o-rings (light lube)
LP swivel
HP Spool (swivel @ hose-gauge connection)

Hose coupling threads should never be lubed.

Edit: Sorry, I got a little distracted by the other posts. Back to your original question; Teflon tape and or/ pipe thread paste is not needed or recommended.

awap
04-07-2009, 10:10
Only dynamic o-rings should be lubed.

Static O-rings (no lube)
LP connection to 1st stage
HP connection to 1st stage

Dynamic o-rings (light lube)
LP swivel
HP Spool (swivel @ hose-gauge connection)

Hose coupling threads should never be lubed.

Edit: Sorry, I got a little distracted by the other posts. Back to your original question; Teflon tape and or/ pipe thread paste is not needed or recommended.

I lube all o-rings that are not subject to pick up dirt on residual lube which might interfere with their function. Dynamic o-rings get a heavy lube. Static o-ring get a light lube, just enough so they shine. although they are static in operation, many are on threaded connections where the lube help the sliding action that occurs during assembly and disassembly. The only o-rings I do not lube is the o-ring sealing the 1st stage to the tank valve. I usually use christolube, but for things like hoses and port plugs that might be done in the field, I have resorted to a little O2 compatible spit.

COScubaBob
04-07-2009, 12:45
Thanks everyone!!

This is the kind of info that's great for someone like me who's just getting into servicing my gear instead of always paying the dive shop to do some basic things.:smiley20:

cruzan
05-12-2009, 19:05
No lube needed that's why fresh o-rings should be used.

larryjoe
07-25-2009, 19:35
My new aeris ion pro reg manual says to lightly lube hose end threads and o rings with silicone lubricant. My guess was to not lube the hose ends and wet the o rings, which I am about to do to my reg, unless someone here talks me out of it. I think silicone grease might be more trouble than its worth.

scubasamurai
07-31-2009, 22:08
if it is a new set up the o ring should not need any lube. did one this week and had no problems with any type of air leaks. if the o ring is old change it and you should be fine