PDA

View Full Version : Discover Scuba Class (aka Dive Buddy Bait class)

terfmop
04-05-2009, 19:36
Here's an idea that might work for someone else out there looking to get friends or relatives into diving and possibly a reliable dive buddy. I asked my LDS instructor when he has the Discover Scuba classes. I take my friends along for the course, while I get to play around in the pool with my gear. While they're having fun, I get to practice on all my skills (breathing from free-flow, removing BCD, buoyancy skills, etc...). My friends will hopefully have a well-prepared, buddy (me) when they are ready for their diving.

Vlane
04-07-2009, 00:38
I may actually do something like this in a few weeks. I'm in the process of trying to get my girlfriend certified by a friend. Figure while they're doing their stuff i may try and work on my buoyancy and other things.

clararhb
04-07-2009, 00:46
And let me guess the LDS charges you to use your own gear in their pool. Even though you brought them a couple possible customers.
I use to do the same but quit it.

mitsuguy
04-07-2009, 08:28
our old LDS did free discover scuba's in the pool any time we wanted to bring people and lend a hand doing the gear setup and such...

scubadiver888
04-07-2009, 11:33
My LDS lets me use the pool any time they have it. So far, every time I've purchased new gear they let me have a tank of air (no charge) to go to the pool and try out the new gear. I don't have to help out at the pool. I don't bring anyone else for the discover scuba. I just show up with the free tank of air and work on my buoyancy.

clararhb
04-07-2009, 11:34
That was the way that I did it too mitsuguy but the owner decided that he changed his mind. I use to help rinse off the gear that he had a DM candidate there for. So I changed my mind and quit taking people in. If they request that I go along I go.

terfmop
04-07-2009, 12:43
no, don't have to pay. But I help out with gear setup & cleaning....not asked too, just do it

clararhb
04-07-2009, 23:01
Your lucky terfmop. I really hope that your LDS appreciates you.

paperdesk
04-14-2009, 00:58
There is a small resort I go to that does the same for me. Only they do the discover dives on a beautiful coral reef in the Philippines. I bring my friends, take photos of the dive, and they don't charge me anything. It's refreshing to know there are some really nice people and businesses out there.

bottomdweller
06-16-2009, 20:17
My wife & sister-in-law are going to do their open water cert in August.
I have already talked to the shop owner/instructor, He is more than happy to let me play in the pool (w/free air) & go with them on the open water dives for a discounted price since I brought them to him.
He usually charges $50.00 for a 2 tank dive, I'll be paying $25.00 a day for 3!!:smiley20: