PDA

View Full Version : Skiiny Dipper Mark II by ORCA

rsmith4656
04-06-2009, 00:48
Does anyone know anything about this computer? I got my hands on one the other day and just curious about it. I would like some information.

navyhmc
04-06-2009, 09:17
I went to the Suunto web site Rick, not a thing on it. I have a feeling that it's at least 10 years old.

Damselfish
04-06-2009, 10:02
I think I rented one of these in Bonaire in 91, so probably older than 10. Don't think Suunto ever had anything to do with those though?

Miked
04-06-2009, 12:25
I have one, and I sometimes use it as a backup computer.
It is quite a bit older than 10 years. It is/was made by Orca.(new name??)
BTW, there are a number of threads on SB about this computer.
It is a great computer for it's day, given it's limitations.

It is "air only"
It recalls/displays only the last dive, but keeps all the dives ( since the last activation) for NDL computations.

Batteries are hard to find, but easy to replace.
It is rugged, and lasts for ever.
It has BIG displays- nice for "older" eyes.

If you need more specifics, let me know.
take care,
Mike

navyhmc
04-06-2009, 13:26
I think I rented one of these in Bonaire in 91, so probably older than 10. Don't think Suunto ever had anything to do with those though?

'91???! whoa! Glad I put "At least" first. From past experience, Suunto will keep info on computers for 10 years after they stop production. That's where my estimate started. '91? Really? :smiley36:

captain
04-06-2009, 20:49
Orca Industries was the first company to make a real digital dive computer the Edge. It was rather large, about the size of a brick. The Skinny Dipper was their attemp at a smaller computer. I have an Edge from 1983 that still works and no computer to date has a better information display but it is air only. Back then Nitrox was voodoo gas that would kill you.
Orca Industries is no longer in business so service is unavailable but may never be needed.

mitsuguy
04-07-2009, 07:37
2000-05 Dive Computer Evolution (http://www.skin-diver.com/departments/gearingup/accessories/may00_computer.asp?theid=1212)

captain
04-07-2009, 10:15
After using the SOS decompression meter and the Farallon decomputer in the 70's I had given up on a truly reliable decompression device.
Then along came the Edge in 1983. I still have my log book page from my first dive with the Edge. I wrote" First dive with the Edge. This is what we have been waiting for".
After years of using the Navy tables it took some time to become comfortable with the increased repetitive dive times permitted using the Edge as apposed to the Navy tables.

rsmith4656
04-07-2009, 15:17
Thank you all for your input and I would appreciate any additional information on this unit. I will only use it as a back up or maybe for a diver that does not have a computer and is diving with me. I have Suunto comp for myself.

DiveN2Life
04-23-2009, 20:01
Hi rsmith4656,
You will not beleive this, but in my hand is an "Orca Mark II" that i was looking up information online. I came across you. So, I thought i would help. Once logged on - - you could not be found! Anyway, I'm back, and heres the best part- - - The Manual is here in front of me.... Do you need a copy ????? my e-mail is mikerswanson@yahoo.com

rsmith4656
04-24-2009, 17:08
Hi rsmith4656,
You will not beleive this, but in my hand is an "Orca Mark II" that i was looking up information online. I came across you. So, I thought i would help. Once logged on - - you could not be found! Anyway, I'm back, and heres the best part- - - The Manual is here in front of me.... Do you need a copy ????? my e-mail is mikerswanson@yahoo.com
Mike
I got your message and sent you an email. I would like a copy of that manual if you can. I too am going to use mine as a backup comp.

Lone Frogman
08-07-2009, 05:10
http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/issues/y1999/UC0799/Edge9907.pdf

Old Eagle
04-30-2010, 13:40
rsmith4656,

I still have my Skinny Dipper by Orca and still use it as my primary dive computer. The batteries, when you can find them, last a very long time. I must have gotten nearly three hundred dives from my orginals. I know I had mine in 1991, but I seem to think they came out a couple of years before. Best investment I every made in diving. You screw in the battery cover knob to turn on the computer before your first dive. Watch it go though a series of self checks that end with the computer spelling the words "GO UP". It has a very easy to read large display even an OLD man can see under water. You leave it in the on position your entire diving vacation. If you ever take a day off from diving, and your tables level back out, it will turn itself off. You should wait till this happens after your last day of diving before you back off on the battery cover knob and place the unit up until the next dive. Never flooded on me. Always dependable. If you can find a battery shop that will shink wrap three small litheium batteries together for you, your in business. Orginal Orca batteries are possible, but very difficult to find. You have a good treasure there. Your dive buddy who does not have a computer will love you for it. Do you have the case and wrist straps for it? I advise wearing it on your wrist or arm. As I was told when I first got it, "This is the most important thing to bring to the surface with you when you return".

Old Eagle

wxboy911
05-10-2010, 07:12
Sorry if this is a thread hijack...I just bought a used reg with a Sherwood Sigma II computer and was wondering if that was similar to the Skinny Dipper or Orca II?

Stundo
06-05-2011, 18:46
rsmith4656,

I still have my Skinny Dipper by Orca and still use it as my primary dive computer. The batteries, when you can find them, last a very long time. I must have gotten nearly three hundred dives from my orginals. I know I had mine in 1991, but I seem to think they came out a couple of years before. Best investment I every made in diving. You screw in the battery cover knob to turn on the computer before your first dive. Watch it go though a series of self checks that end with the computer spelling the words "GO UP". It has a very easy to read large display even an OLD man can see under water. You leave it in the on position your entire diving vacation. If you ever take a day off from diving, and your tables level back out, it will turn itself off. You should wait till this happens after your last day of diving before you back off on the battery cover knob and place the unit up until the next dive. Never flooded on me. Always dependable. If you can find a battery shop that will shink wrap three small litheium batteries together for you, your in business. Orginal Orca batteries are possible, but very difficult to find. You have a good treasure there. Your dive buddy who does not have a computer will love you for it. Do you have the case and wrist straps for it? I advise wearing it on your wrist or arm. As I was told when I first got it, "This is the most important thing to bring to the surface with you when you return".

Old Eagle

I still use my SkinnyDipper Mark-II as my primary computer. It uses the exact same algorithm that the Edge used with 12 tissue types. It works great and you can trust its behavior. While it is not officially a Decompression dive computer, it uses the exact algorithms the Edge does which *IS* a Decompression dive computer. I have taken it into deco dozens of times. The only thing you are missing is how long you will be at a decompression stop, but you learn how it behaves very quickly.

It also uses a 'ceiling' instead of decompression stops. If you flip into decompression the ceiling starts to descend down to you. As you go up, the closer you get to the ceiling the faster you can push the ceiling back up to the surface. Obviously, you want to keep plenty of space between you and the ceiling.

As for batteries, everybody makes a big deal about this. It really is *NOT* a big deal. Just go on eBay and buy three of 1/2 AA 3 Volt Lithium batteries. I just bought some today for $1.59 and $1.00 shipping each. So a complete set cost under $10 and those batteries will last me for several years worth of dive trips.

cap10randy
04-12-2012, 15:23
Does anyone know anything about this computer? I got my hands on one the other day and just curious about it. I would like some information.

The "Skinny Dipper Mark II" was second generation dive computer put out by a company called Orca. The original DC by Orca was the "Edge" better know as the "brick" in that it was about the size of a brick and weighted as much as a brick.