PDA

View Full Version : Which computer

mitchy
04-08-2009, 08:25
I dive ten times a year, and want to get a computer, but don't really want to spend alot. Looking for feedback on some possible choices. Please let me know which you would pick, or which you would steer clear of and why.

1. Veo 100
2. Aeris XR1

Both cheap through ST.

3. Used Suunto Gekko
4. Buy something else.

sapperw5
04-08-2009, 08:30
i personally dive with a oceanic proplus 2 w/navcon. i love it, but pricey. many of my buds dive with the veo 100 and 250. they are great comps not air integrated, but it sounds like you dont need that yet. i really like oceanic. i see a lot of diverswith the veo 100.

Defman
04-08-2009, 09:06
Personally, I'd step up to the Mares M2 Nitrox.

BubblesMcCoy
04-08-2009, 09:18

I've really enjoyed my M2. It's cheap, nitrox capable, and downloadable. It's a little bulky, but runs off of common AAA batteries that can be swapped out without tools and without losing your logged dives.

rayaa3
04-08-2009, 09:23
I have a veo 100 that I've used for 2 years. I like it. However, I wouldn't buy a computer that isn't nitrox capable, it I had to do it again. I don't dive nitrox, but I like the idea that if I ever do, I don't have to go buy a new computer. That being said, its a great little air-only computer.

scubadiver888
04-08-2009, 09:25

I've really enjoyed my M2. It's cheap, nitrox capable, and downloadable. It's a little bulky, but runs off of common AAA batteries that can be swapped out without tools and without losing your logged dives.

How often do you have to change the battery? A rechargeable won't hold a charge long enough you can forget about it for a few months and alkaline batteries can get expensive.

Have you ever had the battery die? Did you lose your data? Or do you dive often enough that you notice when the battery is low?

Foo2
04-08-2009, 10:35
I dive ten times a year, and want to get a computer, but don't really want to spend alot. Looking for feedback on some possible choices. Please let me know which you would pick, or which you would steer clear of and why.

1. Veo 100
2. Aeris XR1

Both cheap through ST.

3. Used Suunto Gekko
4. Buy something else.

My husband and I both have the Aeris XR1. It's easy to use and view. Seems pretty bullet proof too.

scubagirlj
04-08-2009, 11:00
my husband and i have aeris xr-1 's also-air for him, nitrox for me-like Foo2 says, easy to use and read-seems good value for price thru ST-does every thing high end comps do except can't download to PC, but holds enough dives that you have ample time to get to your logbook or access to a PC where you can enter info into your program manually-our AOW DI liked them better than one she was using(easier to read u/w)

John Yaskowich
04-08-2009, 11:55

How often do you have to change the battery? A rechargeable won't hold a charge long enough you can forget about it for a few months and alkaline batteries can get expensive.

Have you ever had the battery die? Did you lose your data? Or do you dive often enough that you notice when the battery is low?
I have one and just swapped the batteries for the first time. About a year and a half on one set, although a fair bit of that was sitting dry in my dive locker. I am tempted to drop in a set of Lithiums and forget about it for about 5 years of so (based on my experience with my camera - a pair of alkalines will last about 75-100 pictures. The lithiums in there now are well into the 400+ range and still going strong, and a lot of those were flash shots!)

The computer gives lots of warning about the battery getting low. An icon shows on the screen and you have at least 5 more dives before you need to swap them. It doesn't lose your dive information but you do have to reset the date/time. Strange.

RoyN
04-08-2009, 13:58
Do you want a wrist computer or a console?

Splitlip
04-08-2009, 16:55
Oceanic and Aeris are the same. Both Hollis computers, both made by Pelagic.
One, I can't recall which, is a little more expensive for weaker eyes and folks with a little more coin.
I have used owned and used a number of them. I like the algorithm. Had a couple crap out, but customer service was exemplary.
Pelagic makes computers for a number of companies. Do your due dilligence. Know who makes the computer for the company from which you purchase and know the rep of that company.
Oceanic and Aeris (nick Hollis) have always been great on service with the computers.

rsmith4656
04-08-2009, 18:19
I only use Suunto. It is the most conservative comp on the market. Some folks don't like that and others say that even a comp is life support.

CODMAN
04-08-2009, 19:34
Another vote for the M2. Cheap, does everything you need, or ever will, is conservative (either you like this or you don't) and is one of the only comps with a permanent backlight option for night dives (:smiley20:).

One great little computer!

FoxHound
04-08-2009, 20:23
I have to go with the crowd, the M2 is a great computer for the price. it is a bit conservative, some see this as good. I personally didnt like how conservative it was so i got something different, other then that its a great computer, easy to use, being able to leave the backlight on is a great feature. One other computer that you may want to look at in the same price range is an oceanic VEO 180, this is the computer i use, it is nitrox ready and a very easy to read and operate computer. Either way you cant go wrong with an M2

CFDAlden
04-08-2009, 23:17
Gekko here. Nitrox capable, it is download capable with a little help, and used should be very inexpensive.

BSea
04-09-2009, 08:51
Since you only dive 10 times a year or so, I think any of the choices are good. I'm partial to Aeris/oceanic primarily because that's what I started with, and I like how the menu is organized, but that's me. Suunto is also a top company, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of theirs if that's what you like. And as CFDAlden mentioned, you can download the gekko, but it requires a hack, then there is the cost of the cable.

I agree with several of the others, and would look for a nitrox compatible computer. The cost isn't much more, and you might decide down the road that you want to use nitrox. At least this way, you won't have to buy a new computer. I bought a used Aeris Atmos 2 computer from ST to use for a backup. It's similar to the XR2, just an older model. So check the used gear & specials at the ST website. There are almost always a few computers there.

Here's 1 (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=UsedGeo)

Here's another (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=MaresM2)

Defman
04-09-2009, 11:34

I haven't actually used the M2, but I had it's older sister the Surveyor Nitrox. I never killed the batteries on my Surveyor, I just made it a habit to change it (they only had one) before each trip to avoid such an emergency. I don't recall losing data when swapping batteries though.

RoyN
04-13-2009, 00:52
I only use Suunto. It is the most conservative comp on the market. Some folks don't like that and others say that even a comp is life support.

Some of the oceanic computers can be set to conservative mode too.

mitsuguy
04-13-2009, 02:51

Some of the oceanic computers can be set to conservative mode too.

Correct. The one nice thing about diving a more liberal computer is that when you do want to push those limits just a little, the computer isn't going to go ape **** on you and tell you no diving and lock you out...

It's quite simple to look at the nitrogen loading bar graph or dive time remaining and say, it's getting a little low, I'd like to be conservative, I'm going to spend the rest of my dive shallow, or I'm going to end the dive a little early...

I'd rather be the one making the conservative call, not my computer...

bottomdweller
04-14-2009, 19:27
I also dive the Aeris XR-1 Great cheap computer, & my brother-in-law dives veo,not nitrox but both great little (CHEAP) computers!!
I am planning on alot more than 50 dives this year & these little computers will work great.

clararhb
04-14-2009, 21:03
Sounds like your wallet should lead the way. I've been thinking the same and the only option that I had figured out was that I wanted nitrox..even if I never use it.
Interesting that there are only a couple of companies that make dive computers. I had notice a resemblance in a lot of them but cars are that way too.

DiverBob
04-29-2009, 22:16
I started with the Atmos 1 which is air only... still have it as a backup to my Atmos 2 because I moved to Nitrox. They are reliable, easy to use and easy on the pocket book. Go for the Aeris XR-1 NX and you can't go wrong!! :smiley20:

Link to XR-1 (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=AerisXR-1NXNitroxConsole)

LeeParrish
05-02-2009, 21:12
For someone just starting out, and probably not going to be doing Nitrox for a while (maybe quite a while), would the Aeris XR-1 be a good piece of equipment? The price seems great, and I might be able to slip that in as a Fathers Day gift (to myself) next month.

BSea
05-02-2009, 21:33
For someone just starting out, and probably not going to be doing Nitrox for a while (maybe quite a while), would the Aeris XR-1 be a good piece of equipment? The price seems great, and I might be able to slip that in as a Fathers Day gift (to myself) next month.The question I think you should ask is just how much diving you intend to do. If you are really getting into the sport in a big way, then I'd suggest the nitox version. Even a basic nitrox model should give many years of service for all types of diving. But should you start using nitrox in a few years, then you're looking at buying a new computer, and the old one won't even be much of a backup because it won't do nitrox. To be honest, I can't see a reason not to buy a nitrox version unless you are staying very shallow. watch ST's website for specials & closeouts. You can usually find a good used nitrox computer for the new price of the XR-1

kat
05-02-2009, 23:26
For someone just starting out, and probably not going to be doing Nitrox for a while (maybe quite a while), would the Aeris XR-1 be a good piece of equipment? The price seems great, and I might be able to slip that in as a Fathers Day gift (to myself) next month.The question I think you should ask is just how much diving you intend to do. If you are really getting into the sport in a big way, then I'd suggest the nitox version. Even a basic nitrox model should give many years of service for all types of diving. But should you start using nitrox in a few years, then you're looking at buying a new computer, and the old one won't even be much of a backup because it won't do nitrox. To be honest, I can't see a reason not to buy a nitrox version unless you are staying very shallow. watch ST's website for specials & closeouts. You can usually find a good used nitrox computer for the new price of the XR-1
I'd agree. My husband got me a nitrox capable computer and I'm not Nitrox certified yet. When I get more dives under my belt, I'll get my Nitrox cert. For now, air is fine, but my computer is ready when I am.

cruzan
05-16-2009, 19:59

Great computer my husband loves his M2. Great computer readily available batteries.