PDA

View Full Version : Houston Diving

PadiPro
04-09-2009, 13:39
Im out on business for two weeks starting the 20th Apr and wondered what the chance would be to get some diving in while im out there.

Im not looking for anything tech just a couple of dives wrecks would be nice but not sure what to do.

Did look at a website but the boat prices where 2.5X the cost of a dive here in the UK.

Ron

rayaa3
04-13-2009, 10:00
Hi Ron,

I'm not from the houston area...however, I think I can shed some light no Houston for you. The Houston/Galveston area doesn't provide much in the way of good diving. Vis is very poor. The exceptions to this is "The flower gardens" and rig diving. The flower gardens is roughly 100 miles offshore (about 160K). The only dive boat that goes out offers a 2 day liveaboard. The cost is about 500.00 per person, and includes potentially 7 dives (though this time of year, I hear it's very common for trips to get cancelled at the last minute due to weather.

The other boat diving you can do out of Galveston is Oil rig diving. I know very little about this...however, last I heard they were going out on Day trips, leaving in the AM, coming back in the late afternoon...2 tanks for about 250.00. THis price is pretty high in my opinion. I'm not sure if the high price has to do with the distance from shore (fuel costs) or simply a matter of supply and demand. I don't think there are very many shops that go out to the oil rigs, so the few shops that do, can pretty much set the market price.

IF you had the time to stay the weekend, and sit around for another day in Houston offgassing before getting on an airplane, I would recommend looking at a liveaboard trip to the flower gardens. They typically leave Friday night and come back Sunday. However - be prepared, last weekends trip was cancelled (or so I heard).

Fling Charters (http://www.flingcharters.com/calendar.asp)

There is a link to the live aboard calendar - looks like they have openings the weekend of the 25th...it would leave friday night the 24th.

About the diving - I've never done the diving - I heard that it's quite nice, though it can be rough (rough seas, heavy current, etc) later in the summer the conditions are suppose to be a bit nicer...but if you are going to look at diving out of the houston area - this is the place to look.

FYI - the boat leaves out of an area called Freeport, I'm not sure the exact distance from Houston, but you'll want to be driving a rental, tax cab fare would be ridiculous.

good luck,

Ray

ReefHound
04-13-2009, 11:04
Ray sums it up pretty well. Houston is not a diving destination unless Flower Gardens are on your list. You might get a rig trip for around $200.

I'll be out at the FG the weekend of the 25th on the Spree's final trip here. They are moving to Key West. The Fling is a sister ship that is remaining here for now. It may seem pricey but remember it includes food and lodging so back that out of the $500 and divide by 7 dives and it's not that much per dive. FG is a beautiful place to dive and compares with anything in the Caribbean, in my opinion.

Other than rigs and FG, there are a few local ponds if you just want to get wet. 288 Lake is about 40 feet deep, 10-15' viz, freshwater fish and plants, and a half dozen small boats. Mammoth Lake is 60 feet deep, 5-10' viz, not as many fish but many dozens of sunken objects from boats to buses to planes. ML is in Clute/Freeport just a few miles from where most offshore boats dock.

UofTOrange
05-23-2009, 20:41
Ray sums it up pretty well. Houston is not a diving destination unless Flower Gardens are on your list. You might get a rig trip for around $200.

I'll be out at the FG the weekend of the 25th on the Spree's final trip here. They are moving to Key West. The Fling is a sister ship that is remaining here for now. It may seem pricey but remember it includes food and lodging so back that out of the $500 and divide by 7 dives and it's not that much per dive. FG is a beautiful place to dive and compares with anything in the Caribbean, in my opinion.

Other than rigs and FG, there are a few local ponds if you just want to get wet. 288 Lake is about 40 feet deep, 10-15' viz, freshwater fish and plants, and a half dozen small boats. Mammoth Lake is 60 feet deep, 5-10' viz, not as many fish but many dozens of sunken objects from boats to buses to planes. ML is in Clute/Freeport just a few miles from where most offshore boats dock.

Is Mammoth 60 feet anywhere but in the silo?

wwdiver
05-23-2009, 20:49
The deepest I've found outside the silo is 38'. I was there 2 weeks ago and the vis was pretty poor...

UofTOrange
05-25-2009, 22:04
The deepest I've found outside the silo is 38'. I was there 2 weeks ago and the vis was pretty poor...

It's a shame too, they really have tried their best to get the vis up. I wish they could figure it out, but I doubt they can

BPDoran
05-29-2009, 10:55
Has anyone been out to the Texas Clipper? Any ideas on cost?

DevilDiver
05-29-2009, 11:00
Has anyone been out to the Texas Clipper? Any ideas on cost?

American Diving - Diving the South Texas waters of the Gulf of Mexico and offering Scuba Instructor Training (http://www.divesouthpadre.com/default.html)

Dive SitesDepthDepartureReturnCost
Texas Clipper (http://www.thetexasclipper.com/)60 - 130 ft7:30am2:00pm$175

Tons of Steel (http://www.divesouthpadre.com/dive_trips/tonsofsteel.html)
Texas Clipper (http://www.thetexasclipper.com/) + Rig
3 Tanks60 - 130 ft7:00am4:00pm$200

ColdPass
06-08-2009, 09:08
Too bad it's a 7 hour drive from Houston. That makes it hard to do as a day trip. With all that driving and the hotel stays it's now at least as expensive as the FG trips.

Looks like fun, though.