PDA

View Full Version : Cozumel wrecks

Okc_diver
04-11-2009, 00:05
I am going to Cozumel next month. I stopped by my LDS and asked if I needed to be certified as a wreck diver to do those dives as I am a PADI AOW diver. I was told that I could go into the water around the ship but could not go into the ship.

Now I have read some of the other posts about this and I am not doing it to say I did a wreck dive I am doing it so I can get some photos and then I will decide if I want to go and get my wreck cert.

I hope I don't sound like a noob with this.

Defman
04-11-2009, 07:37
Probably depends more on your comfort/skill level than your cert, with less than 24 dives you might not be there yet. The C-53 is a pretty easy dive with lots of openings. I've only dove on it once and the currents outside were pretty strong, but that can vary from one day to another.

I'd probably suggest you get more diving in general under your belt before going in, buoyancy control is really important in confined space diving so that you don't kick up the silt too much. In short, you can still have a good time without going in this time.

On the other hand, I totally wasn't planning on going in on my first penetration dive in Dom. Rep., it just sort of happened at the suggestion of the DM. He handed me his light and told me to follow him, so I did.

plot
04-11-2009, 09:17
Most of the people diving wrecks arn't certified and most don't go inside. There's plenty to look at on the outside... so you'll find divers of all ranges of experience.

I've never been to coz, but I think the C-53 is the only wreck. Its around 80 feet deep, so if you're comfortable at those depths, I think you'll really enjoy the dive.

tc_rain
04-11-2009, 09:57
The C-53 is an easy wreck with huge openings cut in it. Going through it is not a problem but don't exceed you comfort level. There is plenty to see without going into it.

chace_nicole
04-11-2009, 10:35
The current was really swift at the site when I did that dive too. You do not need to be wreck certified to do the dive, but check with your dive op on the island because some have a no penetration rule and others will let you. I dove the site with Aqua Safari & they do not allow their divers to enter. It was neat to see...I would love to do it again on really slow current day.