PDA

View Full Version : drift diving, shore diving, boat diving... I'm so confused!

Disneymom
08-23-2007, 13:26
In the thread regarding 'greyness' and diving something was mentioned about shore diving less when one gets older.

Again, pardon my newbieness, but can someone elaborate on the differences in different kind of diving that would relate to age?? Or, the differences - in general! What to expect on a boat dive? What exactly IS a drift dive (and how do you get back to the boat?) Why is shore diving harder - or is it? Don't you just go out and back in? I would almost think it would be easier.

See - I'd love to gain a better understanding of the different types, and what I should expect as I do them - and HOW to do them. This is stuff just not covered in OW class. Thanks, guys!

NitroWill
08-23-2007, 13:34
Shore diving involves exactly what it says - diving from the shore as your entry and exit point. You gear up on the beach (or at the car if beach not available) and walk the gear to the water. The walks obviously vary depending on the site but a longer walk with heavy gear on could be rougher on the smaller or older I suppose. Once your int the water its not that mch different then any other dive. Shore diving does involve basic navigation skills and you need to be a fairly good swimmer to battle any currents when coming back in. But it is the "cheapest" diving.

Drift diving is a unique type of diving done off a boat. The DM/Guide or each buddy team will carry a line with a float at the surface. You simply "drift" the dive site with the current and the boat will follow the float on the surface. These require very little work if you have your buoyancy under control, as you can just glide with little to no swimming. As long as you're with the guy with the float - you're never lost :)

Of course all of my explanations are brief overviews and by no means complete or all you need to know before diving these styles.

I think an older person could do either if they really wanted to. My 70 something instructor does both on a regular basis. It's all up to the individual. I would say a drift dive is prety much the easiest, but all are doable!

mwhities
08-23-2007, 13:35
Any of these dives can be done at any age... as long as you are healthy.

Shore diving means:

You gear up next to the shore, walk into the water with your fins in your hand. Don your fins and start diving. When you finish, take off your fins (make sure to keep your reg in your mouth at all entries/exits) and walk onto te shore.

It's only hard when you have big waves crashing in or you have a ton of gear, it's 90F + outside and you have to walk through 1/4 mile of sand to get to the shore. :)

Boat diving means:

You get on a boat with all of your gear, arrive at the site, don your gear, gaint stride/back roll into the water, dive and then get back into the boat.

Drift diving means:

You get on a boat with all of your gear, arrive at the site, don your gear, giant stride/back roll into the water, dive in a current and the boat follows your bubbles/float until the DM/whomever shots a bag up and the boat waits till people pop up and starts getting everyone aboard.

Michael

No Misses
08-23-2007, 13:59
I could see shore diving as being too strenuos for the elderly. First you have to walk your gear accross soft sand. Then after an hour or more of diving (usually <30 fsw) you have to walk back up onto the beach without letting the waves knock you "a$$ over tea kettle". I consider myself to be in good shape. I have had my butt handed to me by the sea as I tried to get myself back through the surf zone. Of course, this was during winter months when the East winds kick up some rough seas. Just my 2 cents. YMMV

mike_s
08-23-2007, 14:59
Drift diving is a unique type of diving done off a boat.

Though this is right most of the time, you can drift dive from shore. You've just got to be a lot more carefull.

It's pretyt common to "drift" dive from one end of a jetty/channel entrance to the other end on a dive. It just might require a walk back down the channel beach at the end.

like I said though you just have to be a little more carefull so you don't don't drift "too far".

Disneymom
08-23-2007, 15:12
I could see shore diving as being too strenuos for the elderly. First you have to walk your gear accross soft sand. Then after an hour or more of diving (usually <30 fsw) you have to walk back up onto the beach without letting the waves knock you "a$$ over tea kettle". I consider myself to be in good shape. I have had my butt handed to me by the sea as I tried to get myself back through the surf zone. Of course, this was during winter months when the East winds kick up some rough seas. Just my 2 cents. YMMVElderly?? Who said anything about being elderly?? I'm middle aged! :smiley36:

Seriously, tho - thanks. I knew the basics (but thanks for the refresher, michael! :smiley20:) But didn't know many details about the difference.

I guess shore diving wouldn't be so bad as long as you don't have to cart equipment a long way, or have big waves. Are there good places (caribbean) to do good shore diving?

subsur
08-23-2007, 20:14
there is much less effort diving from the boat as opposed to shore diving when you are confronted with possible difficult entry and/or exit, lots of rocks. also, long surface swim. when boat diving, especially drift diving, you make minumal effort. the current does the job and the boat captain to pick you up later.

chewyjr15
08-23-2007, 21:40
considering boat dives really arnt that expensive when i start diving most of my dives will be done off boats. Locally i have sucken ships and great diving off the coast of catalina and mexico and a half day charter to catalina through my LDS is only about 90 bucks a person so in my book it is very much worth doing a boat dive as it is less effort and you can make more than one dive typically 2-3 dives perday.

cgvmer
08-23-2007, 21:53
I recently had a fun drift dive in St Thomas, strong current but good boat knew exactly where to be when our air was out.

RECDiver
08-23-2007, 23:41
I am in myh 50s and I shore dive, boat dive, drift dive, wreck dive. The reference to age may refer to the shape someone is in before making those types of dives. The older one gets, fitness plays a bigger roll. I can attest to this from personal experience.

gtjason2000
08-24-2007, 07:43
Where we stayed in St. Lucia they had good diving off the shore but we still took the boat. I guess they thought their customers would enjoy it more if they did not have to do a 100-300yd surface swim before the dive, which I am thankful for. I am a former swimmer and just swimming in the ocean alone is a lot harder than a pool and then throw on all your gear.

Zenagirl
08-24-2007, 07:50
I guess shore diving wouldn't be so bad as long as you don't have to cart equipment a long way, or have big waves. Are there good places (caribbean) to do good shore diving?

Gee, you want a good place in the Caribbean to do good shore diving? What you're seeking is Bonaire!! They call it "Diver's Paradise" (even says so on the license plates!) and a lot of folks never bother with boat diving while they're there. You don't even have to use a dive flag and dive sites are marked on shore with a yellow rock.

Haven't been there yet, but next summer we'll be going for 2 weeks! :D

Charlotte Smith
08-24-2007, 07:56
Any kind of diving is good.....try them all...

cummings66
08-24-2007, 11:58
6 dives ago, about 2 weeks ago I did a shore dive. I walked a bit over 1/10 of a mile carrying my full gear in order to go diving. That was through the woods, up hills and down hills, a small hike in other words. It was nearly 100 degree's out that day and I stunk bad by the time I got in the water.

That is a shore dive, but it's not a common one and something like that would be out of line for some.

No Misses
08-24-2007, 14:25
[/quote]Elderly?? Who said anything about being elderly?? I'm middle aged! :smiley36:

Oops, Sorry :smiley5:, I just read the first part about "greyness" and just assumed that we were talking about people of advanced years. I did not intend to imply that anybody engaged in this discussion was feeble. At least not yet. I thought you were just doing some advanced research for use at a much later date. :smiley20:

P.S. did I impress anybody with this apology? If not I will take my knuckle dragging self back to my cave :smiley16:

Disneymom
08-24-2007, 16:15
Oops, Sorry :smiley5:, I just read the first part about "greyness" and just assumed that we were talking about people of advanced years. I did not intend to imply that anybody engaged in this discussion was feeble. At least not yet. I thought you were just doing some advanced research for use at a much later date. :smiley20:

P.S. did I impress anybody with this apology? If not I will take my knuckle dragging self back to my cave :smiley16: :smiley36:
NM - you need not retreat to your cave.

it is in fact research for a much later date, you know? :smiley36: (unfortunately, not that much later!)

Buc Chick
08-26-2007, 00:46
I just got back from Bonaire, shore diving all week. My legs are black and blue from getting knocked about by the surf, or stepping in a hole and bumping my shin(s). I've even done a "crawl of shame" on an exit once. But it was all worth it!

plot
09-01-2007, 09:24
you guys with soft sand to walk across on shore dives are lucky. try the perilous rocks that'll kick a young persons ass just as easy as an older persons.

Xspect
09-01-2007, 09:35
Wow thats call being addictive to diving. Someone needs an intervention

6 dives ago, about 2 weeks ago I did a shore dive. I walked a bit over 1/10 of a mile carrying my full gear in order to go diving. That was through the woods, up hills and down hills, a small hike in other words. It was nearly 100 degree's out that day and I stunk bad by the time I got in the water.

That is a shore dive, but it's not a common one and something like that would be out of line for some.

scubasamurai
09-01-2007, 09:46
hey it has nothing to do with age. but it has to do with everything about being lazy!!! if i can get on a boat than i will, why work so hard to lug all that gear to the shore and than , oh my god i have to swim, to the dive site ssshhhhh. with the boat ,pull up have the deck hand load it for you ( i tip well of course) and off you go!! simple and sweet

georoc01
09-01-2007, 17:46
How easy a drift dive is really can depend on how strong the current is. I was on one dive in Cozumel one afternoon with about a 5-6 knot current. Then the dive master wanted us to stop so he could show us an eel living with a shark. Plus currents can push you up or down depending upon how it flows underwater.

Drift diving can be alot of fun, but it can be challenging as well.

And like has been said earlier, shore diving can be easy or hard depending on the conditions at the shore and how easy it is to get to the water.

My favorite was the dive beach that while we were underwater was overrun by sunbathers completely blocking the exit. They were angry when we walked through their setups getting water and sand on their towels, but such is life when you block the entrance.

gondown
09-13-2007, 20:46
Let the boat carry the gear is my opinion.

Capt Hook
09-13-2007, 22:10
Sometimes age has nothing to do with it, I just don't care for shore diving.
Have done it, will probably do it again, but if I have my druthers I'm on a boat.

liuk3
09-14-2007, 15:54
A couple of things to add regarding sandy beach diving or shore entries. Compared to boat diving, you will likely have a lot more cleaning to do since the sand accumulates more on your gear, so you are either going to have to spend more time cleaning your gear or it is likely to make a little bit more of a mess in getting all the sand off. Also, it is likely that you will have to do some type of surface swim out and back, as well as muster up the energy to get through out and back the surf zone. So, it is a bit more tiring compared to boat diving.

luvs2scuba2
07-03-2008, 13:57
Although I'll glady do any of the tree, as a 50 year old in decent shape (could always improve that!), I still favor drift dives. Maybe I'm just a lazy diver at heart!