PDA

View Full Version : Open Water Course Next Year

bennerman
04-12-2009, 22:52
Hi, I am going to take my open water course next year, and I am wondering if there are any websites with anything I need to learn ahead of time. I am also going to snorkel in lake eirie this summer, so is there anything I need to know about that either?

RoyN
04-12-2009, 23:20
I forgot to suggest to you when we were in the chatroom. You should go to the shop and buy the Open Water book and dvd to study it in advance. It should tell you what you're going to be doing in the class and when you're ready to take it, you'll be prepare for it. :)

bennerman
04-12-2009, 23:22
kk, thanks

Beefcake
04-13-2009, 02:11
Wow, is cold water snorkeling popular there? I've only ever snorkeled in warm water. Do they use a weightbelt to try to get neutral, or just swim on the surface? Sorry to hijack; I've been considering some cold water snorkel missions here and am curious about how others approach it.

bennerman
04-13-2009, 12:38
In the summer, it is actually pretty warm here, atleast in the Canadian shield regions

scubadiver888
04-13-2009, 13:21
Wow, is cold water snorkeling popular there? I've only ever snorkeled in warm water. Do they use a weightbelt to try to get neutral, or just swim on the surface? Sorry to hijack; I've been considering some cold water snorkel missions here and am curious about how others approach it.

In Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, surface temperatures can get up to 75F. This is similar to the winter in the Caribbean. It only gets cold when you dive below the thermoclines. Thermoclines are typically 50' to 100' deep.

scubadiver888
04-13-2009, 13:30
Hi, I am going to take my open water course next year, and I am wondering if there are any websites with anything I need to learn ahead of time. I am also going to snorkel in lake eirie this summer, so is there anything I need to know about that either?

Most dive training comes with a manual, Open Water for sure. You should always ask for the manuals a few weeks before the course.

Talking and reading about scuba really doesn't work without some practical experience as well. You want to read up a 4 to 1 week ahead of the class. You won't be able to (and should try to) get the equipment to do the practical until you are in class. Actually, you can buy all the equipment but you cannot get the cylinder filled with air without a certification card.

Classes are required to be kept small. More people means more trainers. They should give you plenty of time to learn everything. I guess you are putting it off until next year because you'll be 16?

If you are eager to try it, see if your scuba shop has Discover Scuba or pool 'try-it' dives. The shop I go to (Happy Divers Den (http://www.happydivers.ca)) lets people give it a try once a month in the pool (next try-it is this Sunday).

Just curious, who are you going to for the training?