PDA

View Full Version : Hollis F1 fin size?

RoyN
04-12-2009, 23:16
Hi, I'm using this boot (http://www.uniformbootstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?LNG=en-US&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=M5313&Category_Code=Mens8InchBoots) as my drysuit and my previous size of my fin was XXL and that was the scubapro jets. Should I get the same size or get the XL. My boot size is 10 but its really bulky and big.

ektess1
04-13-2009, 09:35
I wear the XL Hollis F-1. The XXL Scubapro was too small. The Turtle fin was too big. The XL Hollis is just right.

MSilvia
04-13-2009, 11:46
Isn't the Turtle smaller than the XXL jetfin? IIRC, Turtles are between the Jetfin XL and XXL. My F1s are slightly smaller than my Turtles.

CompuDude
04-13-2009, 12:30
Hi, I'm using this boot (http://www.uniformbootstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?LNG=en-US&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=M5313&Category_Code=Mens8InchBoots) as my drysuit and my previous size of my fin was XXL and that was the scubapro jets. Should I get the same size or get the XL. My boot size is 10 but its really bulky and big.

Why are you using combat [-style] boots for drysuit boots? Those aren't designed for underwater use, you realize... right? They're waterproof. In other words, they're designed to keep your feet dry as you walk through a stream, and wick moisture away from your feet should you get a little water in. But once you fully immerse yourself, there's no point to their main selling points. Plus, again, not really constructed for long-term soakings inside and out. Constant soakings in salt water is going to destroy them.

There are combat-style boots designed for full immersion, if that's what you're looking for... but those boots are NOT designed for the purpose you're putting them to, and I think you're not doing yourself any favors by using them.

If you want a large combat boot that's actually designed for underwater use, check out: OTB Boots (http://www.otbboots.com/)

Rainer
04-13-2009, 13:23
IIRC, Turtles are between the Jetfin XL and XXL.

Correct.

RoyN
04-13-2009, 13:25
@Compudude, I really don't know the answer. Maybe its the style of it that I love and also there isn't any drysuit company that seems to make good looking footwear. I'm tired of the DUI ones, saw someone has converse instead of it and was cheaper. North Diver from UK has the same exact ones I have, except it is so difficult to find a license dealer around here. But I still have my whites EVO3 if these doesn't work. What sold me is the zipper feature which I don't understand why these drysuit companies don't make one with velcro or zipper instead of having stupid shoelaces. I got a coupon for 40% off for the easter season so might as well buy one. I guess this is just one of those things that you're gonna have a blank stare at me.

But thats pass and gone. My question now is do I need to use an XL or XXL size fin. The Evo3 is the same size as the stealth stuff. Guess one way is to actually go into a shop and try it out. I'll do that when I get back to California this Thursday.

ektess1
04-13-2009, 14:09
Isn't the Turtle smaller than the XXL jetfin? IIRC, Turtles are between the Jetfin XL and XXL. My F1s are slightly smaller than my Turtles.

When I tried on the Turtles, they were huge. Not length wise, but volumn wise. There was no way that I could wear them. The Jetfins that I tried on were OK length wise, but volumn was still a problem. They were close but still not great. The Hollis F1s just fit me right. It was an ahhh moment when I put them on.

DMWiz
04-13-2009, 14:35
I wear the XL Hollis F-1. The XXL Scubapro was too small. The Turtle fin was too big. The XL Hollis is just right.

The foot pocket on the XL F-1s I attempted to put on was much much smaller than my XXL jets. I could not even get the first half of my foot in the pocket, but you're saying it is the other way around?

ektess1
04-13-2009, 14:50
It was too short. It was also too big around. Hit the end, but still moved side to side.
The Hollis is still just a touch too short, for one foot, but the volumn is perfect.

CompuDude
04-13-2009, 14:52

The foot pocket on the XL F-1s I attempted to put on was much much smaller than my XXL jets. I could not even get the first half of my foot in the pocket, but you're saying it is the other way around?

I think he must have meant XL Jets were too small.

Size goes:

1- XL Jets, Slipstreams (foot pocket is too small for most people to wear with drysuit boots)
2- Turtles, XXL Slipstreams (slips may be a smidge smaller?) (most common alternates when XL Jets/Slips are too small for drysuits)
3- XXL Jets (absolutely cavernous foot pocket... sized so you can wear combat boots in them... for real)

Apparently XL F1's are approx 1.8 on this scale, as I understand it.

ektess1
04-13-2009, 15:18
Maybe I got the Turtles and the XXLs backwards. I thought that the Turtles had the foot pocket that could swallow a small car.
After you try on so many black vented paddle fins things can get a little confussing.
Of course I am usually in a perpetual state of confussion.

DMWiz
04-14-2009, 23:01

I think he must have meant XL Jets were too small.

Size goes:

1- XL Jets, Slipstreams (foot pocket is too small for most people to wear with drysuit boots)
2- Turtles, XXL Slipstreams (slips may be a smidge smaller?) (most common alternates when XL Jets/Slips are too small for drysuits)
3- XXL Jets (absolutely cavernous foot pocket... sized so you can wear combat boots in them... for real)

Apparently XL F1's are approx 1.8 on this scale, as I understand it.

I'd like to get my hands on a pair of XXL F1s and see how the foot pocket compares to the Jets. My foot is long and narrow and I like to wear heavier-soled boots with lots of toe padding which offset my very negative feet and jets just a hair.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Image/Product/Large/HRVTBK.JPG

But I still have plenty of side to side room which makes my frog kick on the jets a bit sloppy and lacking the thrust I think I should be getting. The F1s may be ideal if they are narrower than the jets but just as deep. Anyone have a pair they care to measure for me?

ektess1
04-15-2009, 01:52
Mine are XXL Hollis F-1s. Next time we dive together I will let you try them out.

RoyN
04-15-2009, 04:19
So in conclusion, you guys think the F1 XL size fin will work with my EVO3 and stealth drysuit boots?

DMWiz
04-15-2009, 07:03
Mine are XXL Hollis F-1s. Next time we dive together I will let you try them out.

You ARE the man, I don't care what other people say about you! :smiley36::smiley20:

MSilvia
04-15-2009, 15:31
Yeah, I think F1s will do the trick, but you should check the fit yourself.

RoyN
05-06-2009, 03:27
Darn, the fins are still out of stock, but Joe said hopefully they'll be here this week.

The boots do fit the drysuit, but I decided to just use it for work and kept my whites evo drysuit boots for the one to dive with.