PDA

View Full Version : South of France

scubadiver888
04-13-2009, 09:54
Has anyone been diving in the South of France? I'm taking my wife on a European vacation and we'll be spending one day in Cannes. Has anyone been diving in Cannes? Is there diving in Cannes? If I don't speak French (okay I do but not well), can I find a dive op to take me out?

TIA,
Darrell

Lulubelle
04-13-2009, 18:06
Has anyone been diving in the South of France? I'm taking my wife on a European vacation and we'll be spending one day in Cannes. Has anyone been diving in Cannes? Is there diving in Cannes? If I don't speak French (okay I do but not well), can I find a dive op to take me out?

TIA,
Darrell

I have a friend who lives in Cannes if you would like me to inquire. He isn't a diver to my knowledge but is a sporty guy who probably knows what is available.

My Euro diver friends go to the Red Sea and Maldives primarily, but I understand that there is some wreck diving around that coastline, some cavern/cave as well. What are your interests?

scubadiver888
04-13-2009, 21:14
:banana: Yeah!

Lulubelle, I would love it if you could ask your friend. I'm just looking for a nice dive. I'm a little green so it would be something under 15m to 25m and no cave/cavern. I can dive to 40m but I don't really enjoy that. I have my Nitrox. I like marine life but a cool wreck would be good too.

A morning dive would be nice but nothing earlier than say 9am, maybe 10am.

Actually, if he could put together a list of dive ops and their websites I can figure out who would be able to fit my schedule. I'm just going to be there on September 17th. Cruise ship tenders at 8am and I have to be back on the ship by 5pm.

Travelnsj
04-14-2009, 20:12
I have drank a lot of wine from St. Tropez to Monaco....Do not know about the diving....but the south of France is most picturesque place I've been...I'd be happy just to carry your tanks and look at the ladies:smiley20:

Lulubelle
04-14-2009, 20:33
I have drank a lot of wine from St. Tropez to Monaco....Do not know about the diving....but the south of France is most picturesque place I've been...I'd be happy just to carry your tanks and look at the ladies:smiley20:

Sorry Travelnsj, if I hook the OP up with good dive ops then it will be ME who gets the bag carrying gig!

Personally, I prefer the inland south, Arles, Avignon, etc. Love it.

OP, I emailed Francesco today, my friend in Cannes. I'll get back to you.

Travelnsj
04-14-2009, 20:55

Sorry Travelnsj, if I hook the OP up with good dive ops then it will be ME who gets the bag carrying gig!

Personally, I prefer the inland south, Arles, Avignon, etc. Love it.

OP, I emailed Francesco today, my friend in Cannes. I'll get back to you.

Well can I help? I'm very good at carrying the tanks and poping corks:smiley2:... I like the inland south areas also and you must taste some wine in the Chateauneuf du Pape area near Avignon:smiley20:

Lulubelle
04-14-2009, 21:03
Well can I help? I'm very good at carrying the tanks and poping corks:smiley2:... I like the inland south areas also and you must taste some wine in the Chateauneuf du Pape area near Avignon:smiley20:

S, don't be talking about your cork popping talents, this is a PG forum.

Agreed, it was good drinking in Avignon and environs. TOO many sulfites though, horrid headaches with them. Yes, both the white and red.

My fav French regions are The Alsace (very good value for the quality, doing some cool things with some of the "German" grapes) and The Bourgogne. But I like the lighter/medium bodied reds, so that makes sense eh?

Not much meat in my life any more so the bigger reds are a bit overpowering for me. And white wine, only if you make me, or if the fish is so light that I can't make a red wine work.

Back to diving...

Travelnsj
04-14-2009, 21:33

Agreed, it was good drinking in Avignon and environs. TOO many sulfites though, horrid headaches with them. Yes, both the white and red.

My fav French regions are The Alsace (very good value for the quality, doing some cool things with some of the "German" grapes) and The Bourgogne. But I like the lighter/medium bodied reds, so that makes sense eh?

Not much meat in my life any more so the bigger reds are a bit overpowering for me. And white wine, only if you make me, or if the fish is so light that I can't make a red wine work.

Back to diving...

Alsace?...I've had a few of those wines....just a little tooooo sweet!....I like the Rhone, Chateauneuf du Pape whites. My fav though is the Champagne area and always wanted to do a tour south of Reims to the Chardonnay and Chablis regions....but diving has gotten in the way the last few years!

Back to diving....My offer stands I'll help with the tanks and I'll bring a bottle or two of Alsace wine:smiley20:

Lulubelle
04-14-2009, 22:10
Au contraire, S, I hate sweet wines, but the winemakers of Alsace make some of the wines that the Germans make WAY too sweet, NOT sweet (like some of their reislings which I hated until I tasted one from Alsace). And they do some pinots that are much more affordable and lighter in body than the ones in Bourgogne (Burgundy). Certainly the ones in Burgundy are better, but I have found the lighter style pinots from Alsace to be party pleasers and easier to match to lighter white fishes. It takes some convincing to get me to drink white!

Burgundy is my favorite by far, but I drink some others. Quite frankly, I prefer Italian reds other than the Burgundies. I go French mostly when I am in need of a full bodied white, which isn't often.

I had a 6 course lunch with a different champagne in the Moet cellars once, now that was fun.

Oh, yea, the OP wanted to hear about diving. Still waiting.

Back to diving...

Alsace?...I've had a few of those wines....just a little tooooo sweet!....I like the Rhone, Chateauneuf du Pape whites. My fav though is the Champagne area and always wanted to do a tour south of Reims to the Chardonnay and Chablis regions....but diving has gotten in the way the last few years!

Back to diving....My offer stands I'll help with the tanks and I'll bring a bottle or two of Alsace wine:smiley20:

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
04-14-2009, 22:30
My father's family is from Alsace but my favorite wine ever was a Cotes du Rhone I picked up in a grocery store in Clermont-Ferrand. I've never been able to find it again.

Travelnsj
04-14-2009, 22:42
I had a 6 course lunch with a different champagne in the Moet cellars once, now that was fun.

OK I'm envious a 6 course lunch in the Moet cellars:smiley20:...I just got a glass of Champange:smiley13:....But you were drinking a non Moet Champagne?....Now I'd be very jealous if that was in the Roederer cellars!

Lulubelle
04-14-2009, 22:59

OK I'm envious a 6 course lunch in the Moet cellars:smiley20:...I just got a glass of Champange:smiley13:....But you were drinking a non Moet Champagne?....Now I'd be very jealous if that was in the Roederer cellars!

S, that makes no sense. Why would I be drinking non Moet champagne if I was having a 6 course lunch in the Moet cellars? It was all Moet, and a bottle of vintage Dom went home with me.

Personally, I can be just as happy with a bubbly bottle of dry Prosecco in the summer! Gimme those big Italian bubbles.

Lulubelle
04-14-2009, 23:29
My father's family is from Alsace but my favorite wine ever was a Cotes du Rhone I picked up in a grocery store in Clermont-Ferrand. I've never been able to find it again.

And mine a bottle I picked up from a 2 hectar farm in Italy. It was terrific, and not exported. Moral of the story, open it on the spot if a local tells you it is the best wine/value around. Then buy a case and slog it home.

Travelnsj
04-14-2009, 23:31

S, that makes no sense. Why would I be drinking non Moet champagne if I was having a 6 course lunch in the Moet cellars? It was all Moet, and a bottle of vintage Dom went home with me.

Personally, I can be just as happy with a bubbly bottle of dry Prosecco in the summer! Gimme those big Italian bubbles.

You said... "I had a 6 course lunch with a different champagne in the Moet cellars once, now that was fun"

I agree made no sense to me either....I must of misunderstood.

Never tried Prosecco...it will be on my list....any good bottles you would recommend?

Lulubelle
04-14-2009, 23:39
Different Moet champagnes each course S, they make dozens although I only see a few of them for sale in the states. This was a while ago, my favs were 1st cru and Brut Imperial. The Dom was taken home unopened.
It was a good time, I must say.

Can't recommend a particular Prosecco, they are never vintage, somewhat unpredictable from one vintage year to another, and sometimes sweet (ick). So I read and try, and if I like one bottle, but a case for the summer. Or better yet, go visit my friend in the Veneto and drink along the "prosecco wine trail".

Travelnsj
04-14-2009, 23:49
Different Moet champagnes each course S, they make dozens although I only see a few of them for sale in the states. This was a while ago, my favs were 1st cru and Brut Imperial. The Dom was taken home unopened.
It was a good time, I must say.

Can't recommend a particular Prosecco, they are never vintage, somewhat unpredictable from one vintage year to another, and sometimes sweet (ick). So I read and try, and if I like one bottle, but a case for the summer. Or better yet, go visit my friend in the Veneto and drink along the "prosecco wine trail".

I've always wanted to do the wine country of Italy....hmmmmmm....Raja Ampat & Lembeh straits or Tuscany and the surrounding areas.....hmmmm....Raja and Lembeh:smiley20:....Italy will have to wait!

Lulubelle
04-14-2009, 23:54
I've always wanted to do the wine country of Italy....hmmmmmm....Raja Ampat & Lembeh straits or Tuscany and the surrounding areas.....hmmmm....Raja and Lembeh:smiley20:....Italy will have to wait!

I didn't "do" it, I lived in it, albeit briefly.

Different geographies entirely, so you are safe. The best Prosecco is made in the Veneto, way far north near the Dolomites and away from Tuscany. Amarone is also made there in the Veneto...mmm, my favorite big red.

Sounds like you need to find some time for some land tours.

Have fun down under in the meantime.

Travelnsj
04-15-2009, 00:12

I didn't "do" it, I lived in it, albeit briefly.

Different geographies entirely, so you are safe. The best Prosecco is made in the Veneto, way far north near the Dolomites and away from Tuscany. Amarone is also made there in the Veneto...mmm, my favorite big red.

Sounds like you need to find some time for some land tours.

Have fun down under in the meantime.

Looked about 3 years ago flying into Florence doing Tuscany...then over to Venice....and then up to the Veneto area....Decided instead on Bali and East Timor:smiley20:.....been thru Italy before...but not the wine country.

Down Under?....I've been to the Good barrier reef 4 times...LOL....pretty much Indonesia and Micronesia nowdays.....Now have you been to Raja or Lembeh?.....I know the answer to that!.....and I still need a dive buddy in November!

Lulubelle
04-15-2009, 00:29
Looked about 3 years ago flying into Florence doing Tuscany...then over to Venice....and then up to the Veneto area....Decided instead on Bali and East Timor:smiley20:.....been thru Italy before...but not the wine country.

Down Under?....I've been to the Good barrier reef 4 times...LOL....pretty much Indonesia and Micronesia nowdays.....Now have you been to Raja or Lembeh?.....I know the answer to that!.....and I still need a dive buddy in November!

And I still only have 2 weeks of vacation left for this year and have to use one to spend time with my little people from Atlanta. I need a Euro vacation package! I'd love to go but really don't have enough vaca!

I meant "down under" as in diving, in general, not Down Under as in Australia.

Hey, lots of places I haven't been, and I've been many more places than most. But I'm good with that. If I love a place, I'll go back and back and back. I've probably been to Italy 50 times, I don't know, some were quick layovers while traveling for work in nearby countries, some real trips, etc. I'm Ok with the fact that there are places I haven't been because of that immersion.

May hit Turkey with a native gal this summer, for one whole week.

I still haven't been on the African continent. I need to fix that too.

Travelnsj
04-15-2009, 01:34
And I still only have 2 weeks of vacation left for this year and have to use one to spend time with my little people from Atlanta. I need a Euro vacation package! I'd love to go but really don't have enough vaca!

Hey, lots of places I haven't been, and I've been many more places than most. But I'm good with that. If I love a place, I'll go back and back and back. I've probably been to Italy 50 times, I don't know, some were quick layovers while traveling for work in nearby countries, some real trips, etc. I'm Ok with the fact that there are places I haven't been because of that immersion.

Turkey is great spent a little time there myself...if you have not tried it I love the Raki....one day I'll be back touring Europe...after I hit my 1000th dive:smiley20:.....my goal is to do that before ChinaCat.....LOL!

Lulubelle
04-15-2009, 03:03

TIA,
Darrell

Poor Darrell, your thread was hijacked, and I am partly to blame. Keep in mind that my friend is not a diver, but his company (part of the travel industry) has a few dive ops that they recommend to employees.

So here they are, not a bad place to start researching. Note that although they are in the Cote D'Azur, none have Cannes address. But it is quite easy to get around there even on public transport.

EASY DIVE
Magasin : 37 bd Charles Guillaumont
RDV Plongée : Port Gallice
06160 Juan les Pins
00 33 4 93 61 41 49
00 33 4 93 61 26 07
Portable : 0678669142
http://www.easydive.fr/

COTE D'AZUR PLONGEE
Bd, James Willie, CNA
Parking de la Salis
06600 Antibes
Tel :04 93 67 26 22
GSM : 06 16 93 76 00 / 06 09 32 59 08
Fax : 04 92 93 00 58
capplongee@aol.com
'+' (http://www.chez.com/capplongee/presentationfr.html)

NICE DIVING
14 Quai des Docks - 06300 Nice
Portable : 0614 460.406 (Stéphane)
Tél.: +33 (0)4 93 89 42 44
e-mail : nice_diving@yahoo.fr (nice_diving@yahoo.fr)
http://www.nicediving.com/

Bon Voyage!

scubadiver888
04-15-2009, 11:02
No problem Lulubelle. I'm always interested in a nice discussion of French wine. I hadn't even thought about that. I would hope I could get a bottle of Dom much cheaper in France (mind you Tahitian pearls are more expensive in Tahiti). I'm down to my last bottle; I purchased a half dozen back in 1995 (1990 vintage) for $80 a bottle. Went to replenish the supply and found they are now $200 for a 1998 (not as good a year as 1990).

Thanks for the list of dive ops. I found Nice Diving through Google. I'll check out the other ones over the summer.

Lulubelle
04-15-2009, 11:09
No problem Lulubelle. I'm always interested in a nice discussion of French wine. I hadn't even thought about that. I would hope I could get a bottle of Dom much cheaper in France (mind you Tahitian pearls are more expensive in Tahiti). I'm down to my last bottle; I purchased a half dozen back in 1995 (1990 vintage) for $80 a bottle. Went to replenish the supply and found they are now $200 for a 1998 (not as good a year as 1990).

Thanks for the list of dive ops. I found Nice Diving through Google. I'll check out the other ones over the summer.

Well enjoy your trip! If you are not on a fixed itinerary I would strongly suggest spending some time in Arles and Avignon and around on your way to or from the Cote D'Azur. I stayed in Arles when i was south and loved it. I have never actually made it to the Cote D'Azur, but I have "family of choice" there so i need to. Let us know how your time there goes.

BTW, I haven't followed your currency lately, but I am quite sure that no American can get Dom cheaper in France, the Euro is still too strong. You'd probably be better advised to taste some lesser known smaller production champagnes that may not be exported. You could end up with something really fabulous for far less $$. Plus, it is always cool to have something unique.

scubadiver888
04-15-2009, 12:46
Well enjoy your trip! If you are not on a fixed itinerary I would strongly suggest spending some time in Arles and Avignon and around on your way to or from the Cote D'Azur. I stayed in Arles when i was south and loved it. I have never actually made it to the Cote D'Azur, but I have "family of choice" there so i need to. Let us know how your time there goes.

Unfortunately, we are on a fixed tour (cruise ship) and will only have a day (or less) in each port. Current job doesn't give me much vacation time. Maybe in a few years I'll go back to a company with 5 weeks vacation and start travelling Europe at a more leisure pace.

BTW, I haven't followed your currency lately, but I am quite sure that no American can get Dom cheaper in France, the Euro is still too strong. You'd probably be better advised to taste some lesser known smaller production champagnes that may not be exported. You could end up with something really fabulous for far less $$. Plus, it is always cool to have something unique.

If I could get a bottle of Dom for under 100 Euro it would be cheaper than what I'd pay here even with the exchange rate.

I'd also like to see if I could find a bottle of Cuvee Louise. Pommery put out a 1998 vintage (1998 was an excellent year for the Champagne region) in honour of Louise Pommery. I remember the bottle talking about how she kept the business running after the death of her husband in 1858.

chinacat46
04-15-2009, 12:48

Turkey is great spent a little time there myself...if you have not tried it I love the Raki....one day I'll be back touring Europe...after I hit my 1000th dive:smiley20:.....my goal is to do that before ChinaCat.....LOL!

Better do it this year or it's a lost cause.

04-15-2009, 13:41

Unfortunately, we are on a fixed tour (cruise ship) and will only have a day (or less) in each port. Current job doesn't give me much vacation time. Maybe in a few years I'll go back to a company with 5 weeks vacation and start travelling Europe at a more leisure pace.

If I could get a bottle of Dom for under 100 Euro it would be cheaper than what I'd pay here even with the exchange rate.

I'd also like to see if I could find a bottle of Cuvee Louise. Pommery put out a 1998 vintage (1998 was an excellent year for the Champagne region) in honour of Louise Pommery. I remember the bottle talking about how she kept the business running after the death of her husband in 1858.

At the last big party I held at my house I served Jose Michel & Fils Speciale Club 1997 (about $35 at the time if I recall) to all the guests and I had one bottle of Pol Roger Cuvee Sir Winston Churchill 1998 (over $200) set aside for my closest friends. They are both excellent wines but we all preferred the Jose Michel. Given the price difference there is no contest unless you are going for snob appeal.

CompuDude
04-15-2009, 14:16

Frankly, it's going to be hard to beat Costco's price on a bottle of Dom, even at duty free shops. Bulk purchase power wins every time.

CompuDude
04-15-2009, 14:17

I'd volunteer, but I'm pretty sure my wife would divorce me if I started talking about a second exotic trip without her this year. :smiley36:

Lulubelle
04-15-2009, 14:25
Frankly, it's going to be hard to beat Costco's price on a bottle of Dom, even at duty free shops. Bulk purchase power wins every time.

Good to know...But don't you just love finding that special wine that no one else knows about yet? I don't shop Costco a ton for wine, because I am addicted to the Mac Daddy of gourmet stores here, and they actually do carry some great values and have really good sales. Yes, I have been to the big city versions, but IMHO, this place is special. Anyone on any budget can go in there and find good stuff.

A Southern Season, award-winning source for gourmet gift baskets and fancy foods. (http://www.southernseason.com/)

second exotic trip without her this year. :smiley36:

You must have a far more generous vacation package than i do or work for yourself! You are wise, would be selfish to go to Bali and then whine for more!

Travelnsj
04-15-2009, 14:48
Better do it this year or it's a lost cause.

You need to get a job for the next two years...That would help even things out:smiley20:

No need to rush things.

Low lights and Jazz would be great but if L wants me to leave a bottle on the porch to prove my sincerety I'm perfectly alright with that. Harder to get is usually better to get.

Well patience...they say is a virtue:smilie40:

I'd volunteer, but I'm pretty sure my wife would divorce me if I started talking about a second exotic trip without her this year. :smiley36:

See why I'm not married.....if you need a excuse to get out of that contract....LOL....I've been used before:smiley31:

scubadiver888
04-15-2009, 14:51

At the last big party I held at my house I served Jose Michel & Fils Speciale Club 1997 (about $35 at the time if I recall) to all the guests and I had one bottle of Pol Roger Cuvee Sir Winston Churchill 1998 (over $200) set aside for my closest friends. They are both excellent wines but we all preferred the Jose Michel. Given the price difference there is no contest unless you are going for snob appeal.

Good point. Highest price doesn't mean it will be 'better'. Everyone has different tastes. I like Dom, Perrier-Jouet and Pommery champagnes. I do not like the Pol Roger and Cristal (which is something like twice the price of a Dom) I find horrid.

I also prefer a nice red from Umbria over something twice the price from Burgundy.

Additionally, you can find some really nice Cava from Spain that are less than half the price and comparable to champagne.

Travelnsj
04-15-2009, 18:39
The best Prosecco is made in the Veneto, way far north near the Dolomites and away from Tuscany. Amarone is also made there in the Veneto...mmm, my favorite big red.

I went to the local BevMo and picked up a bottle of Rustico Prosecco made in Valdobbiadene. They guy said it was their best one.....I will probably try it on Sunday as I have a friend coming for a wine tasting I've been invited to at Thornton Winery......so I will pop that cork before or after the tasting....and give you my 2psi!

chinacat46
04-15-2009, 20:04
The best Prosecco is made in the Veneto, way far north near the Dolomites and away from Tuscany. Amarone is also made there in the Veneto...mmm, my favorite big red.

I went to the local BevMo and picked up a bottle of Rustico Prosecco made in Valdobbiadene. They guy said it was their best one.....I will probably try it on Sunday as I have a friend coming for a wine tasting I've been invited to at Thornton Winery......so I will pop that cork before or after the tasting....and give you my 2psi!

The way you go thru air you might need that 2 psi. :smilie39:

Lulubelle
04-15-2009, 22:07
Highest price doesn't mean it will be 'better'. Everyone has different tastes. I like Dom, Perrier-Jouet and Pommery champagnes. I do not like the Pol Roger and Cristal (which is something like twice the price of a Dom) I find horrid.

I also prefer a nice red from Umbria over something twice the price from Burgundy.

Additionally, you can find some really nice Cava from Spain that are less than half the price and comparable to champagne.

Agreed that the Burgundy wines are too pricey. The California Pinots are also too pricey and the winemakers there are trying to make their Pinots a bit too "big" and as a fish eater who likes medium bodied reds the best, that isn't a good thing in my book. For reds, I can happily stay just in Italy alone! Though I haven't found too much in the south that I love.

I have tried some pinots from Alsace which I liked very much and were far less expensive than the ones from Burgundy.

I haven't tried the Cava, any recommendations? I guzzle inexpensive dry Prosecco in the summer and have a couple of Moet champagnes that I like but can't find in the states, but in general, it is not a category I know much about. I drank a ton when i dated a boy who worked for a consortium of wineries and importers. The Perrier-Jouet was tasty.

I went to the local BevMo and picked up a bottle of Rustico Prosecco made in Valdobbiadene. Good choice, let me know how you like it.

scubadiver888
04-16-2009, 10:49
I haven't tried the Cava, any recommendations? I guzzle inexpensive dry Prosecco in the summer and have a couple of Moet champagnes that I like but can't find in the states, but in general, it is not a category I know much about. I drank a ton when i dated a boy who worked for a consortium of wineries and importers. The Perrier-Jouet was tasty.

I would recommend a Segura Cava.

My understanding is that a long time ago there was a problem with vine rot in the Champagne region of France. A number of vinyards took clippings to the Penedes region and worked there for a time. Once the situation had rectified itself back in France the wine masters went back to France and replanted. The consequence of this was many of the Spain wine makers learned from the French masters plus had access to the same grapes. The soil is not the same but consider a good Cava will run you $20 to $40, it is definitely a better bang for your buck then a Perrier-Jouet or Dom for 5 to 10 times the price. So if you cannot find a Segura you might want to check out any sparkling wine from the Penedes region of Spain.

chinacat46
04-16-2009, 21:33

Good to know...But don't you just love finding that special wine that no one else knows about yet? I don't shop Costco a ton for wine, because I am addicted to the Mac Daddy of gourmet stores here, and they actually do carry some great values and have really good sales. Yes, I have been to the big city versions, but IMHO, this place is special. Anyone on any budget can go in there and find good stuff.

A Southern Season, award-winning source for gourmet gift baskets and fancy foods. (http://www.southernseason.com/)

You must have a far more generous vacation package than i do or work for yourself! You are wise, would be selfish to go to Bali and then whine for more!

You expected him to leave it on the porch?....I will not speak BouzoukiJoe....but I would expect it would be shared....perferably with low lites and Jazz playing:smiley20:

No need to rush things.

Low lights and Jazz would be great but if L wants me to leave a bottle on the porch to prove my sincerety I'm perfectly alright with that. Harder to get is usually better to get.

Joe so knows women!

If it came with expectations, they would steal the power of the gesture. And a little hard to get is not a bad thing, for anyone.

It's not from A Southern Season but there is a bottle of Prosecco Montello e Colli Asolani waiting for you. I hope you enjoy it.

Tu sei un buon uomo, mio amico, grazie mille!

For those of you who don't speak greek.

The wine was sour and sucked you cheap bastard.:smilie39:

chinacat46
04-16-2009, 21:47

You expected him to leave it on the porch?....I will not speak BouzoukiJoe....but I would expect it would be shared....perferably with low lites and Jazz playing:smiley20:

No need to rush things.

Joe so knows women!

If it came with expectations, they would steal the power of the gesture. And a little hard to get is not a bad thing, for anyone.

It's not from A Southern Season but there is a bottle of Prosecco Montello e Colli Asolani waiting for you. I hope you enjoy it.

Oh, Chinacat, you funny man. I am traveling and haven't even gotten to the wine yet! And of course, that wasn't GREEK, goofus. :smiley36:

Darn I good have sworn that was greek was it latin? :smilie39:

04-16-2009, 21:59

No need to rush things.

Joe so knows women!

LOL. I speak Greek and not Italian, but I do know enough Italian to know what she really said.

As for the wine, I bought a bottle for myself too. It's fruity but not too sweet. It's completely unpretentious and very approachable. So in many ways, it's a lot like me :smiley2:

chinacat46
04-16-2009, 22:11
Joe I voted for you to keep your man card but if you keep this crap up I might have to revoke my vote. LOL

Travelnsj
04-16-2009, 23:32
Oh, Chinacat, you funny man. I am traveling and haven't even gotten to the wine yet! And of course, that wasn't GREEK, goofus. :smiley36:

Quindi, se siete in viaggio? Submarinismo viaggio?

Lulubelle
04-16-2009, 23:45

Che cosa "submarinismo"? E' Spagnolo, non Italiano!

Sono a Charlotte, per lavoro, non faccio immersioni qui :smiley36:...E domani, ritorno a mia casa bere il mio Prosecco!

Travelnsj
04-16-2009, 23:56

Sono a Charlotte, per lavoro, non faccio immersioni qui :smiley36:...E domani, ritorno a mia casa bere il mio Prosecco!

Vorrei poter essere lì a bere con voi:smiley20:

scubadiver888
04-17-2009, 08:30

Hey! Since I'm going to Italy in September I can use this to practise my Italian...

What is "submarinismo"? It's Spanish, not Italian!

In Charlotte, for work, not diving :smiley36: Tomorrow, I return to my home and drink my Prosecco!

The 'non faccio immersioni' had me a little thrown. I'm guessing this does not translate literally and means something like 'cannot do diving'. Shouldn't it be subaqua (sp?) if you are taking about scuba diving?

What do you think? Would my Latin teacher be proud?

scubadiver888
04-19-2009, 09:58
The 'non faccio immersioni' had me a little thrown. I'm guessing this does not translate literally and means something like 'cannot do diving'. Shouldn't it be subaqua (sp?) if you are taking about scuba diving?

What do you think? Would my Latin teacher be proud?

I'm not fluent...so i could be wrong...

"non faccio immersioni qui" translates simply "I do not make/do dives here". I would use "non posso fare immersioni qui" to say "I cannot make/do dives here".

Subacquea refers to the sport, immersioni to the dives themselves.

Just don't say Pesca subacquea as spearing with scuba gear on is quite illegal there. And remember those double consonants or you will get in big trouble.

Here is a dictionary of scuba words for you, French and Italian.

IHS it.hobby.scuba DIZIONARIO INTERNAZIONALE DELLA SUBACQUEA by Daniele Dardi (http://www.ihs.it/rubdz/rubdz100.htm)

Thanks for the dictionary link. Won't be doing any scuba in Italy... this trip :smiley2:.

Travelnsj
04-19-2009, 22:13
Highest price doesn't mean it will be 'better'. Everyone has different tastes. I like Dom, Perrier-Jouet and Pommery champagnes. I do not like the Pol Roger and Cristal (which is something like twice the price of a Dom) I find horrid.

Agreed that the Burgundy wines are too pricey. The California Pinots are also too pricey and the winemakers there are trying to make their Pinots a bit too "big" and as a fish eater who likes medium bodied reds the best, that isn't a good thing in my book. For reds, I can happily stay just in Italy alone! Though I haven't found too much in the south that I love.

I have tried some pinots from Alsace which I liked very much and were far less expensive than the ones from Burgundy.

I went to the local BevMo and picked up a bottle of Rustico Prosecco made in Valdobbiadene. Good choice, let me know how you like it.

Tried the Prosecco today....before and after the wine tasting...thought it was a dry Austi Spumante....good but...like the diving in the Philippines:smilie40:....LOL...it was good but rather drink a good Champange....in fact today I was invited in back to taste test a 1999 Dom against a 2000 Thornton....the Thornton was as good if not better....and they have a new Chardonnay out called Sans Oak....Wow up there with Arrowood and probably one of the best I've ever had:smiley20:

Lulubelle
04-19-2009, 22:44
Tried the Prosecco today....before and after the wine tasting...thought it was a dry Austi Spumante....good but...like the diving in the Philippines:smilie40:....LOL...it was good but rather drink a good Champange....in fact today I was invited in back to taste test a 1999 Dom against a 2000 Thornton....the Thornton was as good if not better....and they have a new Chardonnay out called Sans Oak....Wow up there with Arrowood and probably one of the best I've ever had:smiley20:

I wouldn't compare a Prosecco to a Champagne to begin with. Different grapes entirely. I think of Prosecco as being a nice summer picnic wine.

I am not a big oak fan (hence much of my drink coming from outside of CA) so I might have to try the Sans Oak.

Must be nice to live in CA and drink wine all of the time!

Travelnsj
04-19-2009, 23:58

I wouldn't compare a Prosecco to a Champagne to begin with. Different grapes entirely. I think of Prosecco as being a nice summer picnic wine.

I am not a big oak fan (hence much of my drink coming from outside of CA) so I might have to try the Sans Oak.

Must be nice to live in CA and drink wine all of the time!

I do not like Oak at all...I should of asked the winemaker today why he called it Sans Oak (no Oak).....But I guess I did have one or two....maybe three glasses to many:smiley20:...I even drank the Estate Syrah....some type of medal winner...and I do not like Reds!

Travelnsj
05-25-2009, 23:16
I tried something the other nite called Château d'Yquem:smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:....Thank god I did not pay for it!..... It was a wine from the Gods....Has anyone else tried it?

debullenbulle
07-21-2009, 22:05
In the west coast of France, there is the Banuyls & Cerbere reserve wich is very intersted. There are not far from the border of Spain, on the Mediterranée sea. You can find a lot of dive shops in all those little cities all around. From Argeles to Cerbère.