PDA

View Full Version : Logging Aquarium Dives

bdbrown4764
04-13-2009, 14:58
I am starting volunteer work, diving at the local aquarium Friday. Should I log these dives or not ? Not looking to pad my dive #'s, just wondering.

-Bob-

Martin2
04-13-2009, 15:07
I don't bother with logging them as the aquarium here keeps an electronic log. But I guess it would be up to you whether or not to keep up with it. And perhaps up to the agency you certified with if they would accept them should you desire to count them toward advanced certifications. I'd be a little surprised though if the aquarium didn't keep a log of their own.

Rainer
04-13-2009, 15:35
Log whatever makes YOU happy. No one else on Earth cares.

scubadiver888
04-13-2009, 15:40
If you are planning on using them for qualification to an agency certification, check with who ever you are going to use for training and see what they say.

Otherwise, what Rainer said.

CompuDude
04-13-2009, 15:42
If they're deeper than 15-20', and longer than 15-20 min, they're technically "dives" per PADI's definition, although they're confined water (can't recall the details on how that's handled). But given that they're (a) confined water and (b) controlled conditions, I probably wouldn't bother. There's not a whole lot of stuff that's going to be different from dive to dive. Great chance to get your weight dialed in perfectly in true salt water, though.

Beyond that, though, Rainer is correct... unless you are planning to go pro, in which case your dive count matters, and you'll want to investigate the confined water issue closer.

pir8
04-13-2009, 15:54
When it was a 1 time thing I logged Aquarium dives.
If I was a volunteer I wouldn't log them.
But thats just me. Your logbook is for you to be able and remember your dives and what you want in it!!!

reactive
04-13-2009, 16:02
My girlfriend dives in the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas here in New Orleans. She doesn't log any of the dives she does for her personal log book. However, she is also AAUS (American Academy of Underwater Sciences) certified through the Aquarium and the Aquarium logs and submits all of her volunteer dives to AAUS.

paperdesk
04-13-2009, 16:21
When it was a 1 time thing I logged Aquarium dives.
If I was a volunteer I wouldn't log them.
But thats just me. Your logbook is for you to be able and remember your dives and what you want in it!!!

That's how I'd feel about it. Since I've never done this kind of dive it would be interesting enough to me to log it as a one time or occasional thing. I wouldn't log it on a regular basis.

I don't know anything about whether it "counts" as an official log and don't care :smiley36:

Ted

bdbrown4764
04-13-2009, 16:27
If they're deeper than 15-20', and longer than 15-20 min, they're technically "dives" per PADI's definition, although they're confined water (can't recall the details on how that's handled). But given that they're (a) confined water and (b) controlled conditions, I probably wouldn't bother. There's not a whole lot of stuff that's going to be different from dive to dive. Great chance to get your weight dialed in perfectly in true salt water, though.

Beyond that, though, Rainer is correct... unless you are planning to go pro, in which case your dive count matters, and you'll want to investigate the confined water issue closer.

The tank is only 10 ft. or so, so no logging will be done.
Can't wait till Friday:smiley20:
Thanks all.

-Bob-

BubblesMcCoy
04-14-2009, 07:57
Thanks all.

-Bob-

How did you get started with the aquarium and what all is involved? Sounds pretty interesting.

bdbrown4764
04-14-2009, 09:16
A couple of dive buddies were doing it. The aquarium needed more help so I applied.

-Bob-

clararhb
04-14-2009, 13:56
10'?? you could just about free dive it.

Beefcake
04-14-2009, 17:21
10'?? you could just about free dive it.
You could, if you could hold your breath long enough to clean the windows, etc. From what I have seen here, cleaning the inside of the tanks and taking care of the animals are the main purposes of the volunteer diver programs. I don't think I could perform these tasks on a 2 minute breath-hold.

comet24
04-14-2009, 20:37
Thanks all.

-Bob-

How did you get started with the aquarium and what all is involved? Sounds pretty interesting.

Most Aquariums have volunteer program and guest diver programs. Each are different with different dives and requirements. I log them sometimes if there something interesting to log. It more of a what was interesting then time\depth, gas, ect.

navyhmc
04-14-2009, 21:04
I say if you want to log them, log them. The log is your's to add what you will. You never know, a few years from now, you may find yourself in a position where your aquarium diving experiences make you an ideal canidate for a position somewhere and those logged dives could be the deal maker.

As far as "only" 10', so what. I have not done any aquarium dives, but I imagine that there are some precautions that have to be taken and you just don't swim without being aware of where you, your feet, arms, hands and tank are with respect to the glass and what ever is in the tank. You're Volunteering? What betterway to help logging your hour than logggin your dives?

I'm all for logging the dives.

Soonerwink
04-15-2009, 07:56
When I first started at the Aquarium, I logged the dives I made in different tanks, just to remember how much weight I wore in each tank. Also since you are a volunteer you can write off your mileage to and from the Aquarium, so you do need to keep a record.

Martin2
04-15-2009, 11:37
When I first started at the Aquarium, I logged the dives I made in different tanks, just to remember how much weight I wore in each tank. Also since you are a volunteer you can write off your mileage to and from the Aquarium, so you do need to keep a record.

Good thought about the mileage--I hadn't considered that.

ColdPass
05-27-2009, 11:30

Seems kind of silly to put the limits on what makes the dives. So if I stay down an hour drifting along in a nice clear spring, but don't go any deeper than 14' it's not technically a dive? Or, if I don my gear and head down to 50' to tighten a dock anchor but don't stay down for 15 minutes (haven't checked with tables or computer to see if this is a safe profile, just throwing an example out there...) that doesn't qualify as a dive either?

CompuDude
05-27-2009, 12:06

Seems kind of silly to put the limits on what makes the dives. So if I stay down an hour drifting along in a nice clear spring, but don't go any deeper than 14' it's not technically a dive? Or, if I don my gear and head down to 50' to tighten a dock anchor but don't stay down for 15 minutes (haven't checked with tables or computer to see if this is a safe profile, just throwing an example out there...) that doesn't qualify as a dive either?

I didn't make up the guideline, PADI did.

And it may be 20 min OR 20', but use common sense and log whatever you want. An hour-long dive at 14' certainly counts in my book, but I don't think I would log a bounce dive to 50' to mess with an anchor for a couple of minutes.

cowgirldiver
05-27-2009, 12:35
When I'm diving at the aquarium, I'm usually in the tank for an hour between feeding, cleaning and entertaining all the kids. The last is the best part. It's kind of like my dive buddy this last time said "It's like your an underwater Elvis!!" In the tank, that most of the people dive in, it's hookah diving so it's not like you're going to run out of air (unless someone turns off the pump.....) Sometimes when I'm scrubbing away, I lose track of time and don't even notice the fish anymore-it's certainly never like that at home!!! Just something so relaxing about being underwater (except when the fish try to pull my hair out...) Also, I think I was told that the aquarium keeps track of your volunteer hours and will give them to you at the beginning of the year for tax purposes.

Soonerwink
05-27-2009, 17:55
When I'm diving at the aquarium, I'm usually in the tank for an hour between feeding, cleaning and entertaining all the kids. The last is the best part. It's kind of like my dive buddy this last time said "It's like your an underwater Elvis!!" In the tank, that most of the people dive in, it's hookah diving so it's not like you're going to run out of air (unless someone turns off the pump.....) Sometimes when I'm scrubbing away, I lose track of time and don't even notice the fish anymore-it's certainly never like that at home!!! Just something so relaxing about being underwater (except when the fish try to pull my hair out...) Also, I think I was told that the aquarium keeps track of your volunteer hours and will give them to you at the beginning of the year for tax purposes.
They never gave me anything concerning how many hours or days I volunteered. You may have to ask for it though, I just used my own records for tax purposes.

BubblesMcCoy
05-27-2009, 20:37
They never gave me anything concerning how many hours or days I volunteered. You may have to ask for it though, I just used my own records for tax purposes.

I'm not sure you can deduct volunteer work, mileage yes, equipment yes, but you can't usually deduct professional pro bono time.

Soonerwink
05-28-2009, 21:18
You are correct, just mileage and equipment. Did I mention I bought 2 new wetsuits. One for each tank I work in, a 7mm and 3mm.