PDA

View Full Version : New Guy - When to Buy

Chief_Brody
08-23-2007, 14:23
Hi all,

I open water this weekend. My bills are stacking up.

Was wanting the general consensus on when to buy a computer?
Also, if I'm "taking well to the water" should I buy a computer with Nitrox capabilities?

I will dive salt water (tropical) twice a year
I will dive fresh water twice a month (at most)
Both will be typical REC situations - depths probably not to exceed 130 feet

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Jaymeany
08-23-2007, 14:27
If you are buying gear go with a computer the first time. Its nice to have the nitrox as an option on your first comp so you don't have to dish out more cash if you decide to go for it.

Instead of double posting I'll edit my post. I use this rig

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=sca343

Its great but I wish it had a better compass. Oh well something else to spend my money on.

mwhities
08-23-2007, 14:30
I wouldn't buy a computer at all until you started diving more often. I think it'd be better spent on bills.

BUT, if you do end up buying one, get one that nitrox compatible.

Michael

finflippers
08-23-2007, 14:32
If you are thinking that you might decide to go into Nitrox in the future might as well go ahead and get one that will be programmable for it.

ertechsg
08-23-2007, 14:34
1st if your bills are stacking up scuba is an expensive sport to get into.

2nd if you're going to buy a computer might as well save a little and when you can purchase a nitrtox computer. It may save you money in the long run if you chose to take a nitrox class. Never know about the future and if you go someplace like Bonaire you will want nitrox. For a simple computer is not too much more.

chewyjr15
08-23-2007, 15:01
http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Atmos22Gauge
i suggest this its a nice setup i would rather have a oceanic veo180 but scubatoys is all sold out of them so the link i provided is a good comprimise!

NitroWill
08-23-2007, 15:04
I'd conquer the bills first, a computer can wait..
A computer is really not essential - especially when you first start diving. Just get a basic 3 gauge console and get use to that - then once the beals get done, you can splurge on a computer!

comet24
08-23-2007, 15:05
I would definitely get one with Nitrox capabilities.

creggur
08-23-2007, 15:47
I'll second what everyone here has said about the Nitrox.. When you do get one if you are planning on diving nitrox in the future you might as well go ahead and get one that's compatible...

cummings66
08-23-2007, 15:58
Yup, a computer without Nitrox is a waste of money. Buy the one that handles both. As to when, buy it when you need it. You don't need it starting out unless you're going to be doing boat dives. Many boat op's require a computer.

Whatever you do, do not buy the cheapest one you can find because if you like diving you will want better and the cheap one won't return much money when you sell it.

Flatliner
08-23-2007, 16:01
I would highly suggest...

1. Bills first, don't do scuba gear on credit. Takes the joy out of it.
2. exposure protection 2nd
3. BC or BPW 3rd
4. Reg 4th
5. Then get a comp but you DO want to get nitrox even if you won't use it right away.

Chief_Brody
08-23-2007, 16:15
I'd conquer the bills first, a computer can wait..
A computer is really not essential - especially when you first start diving. Just get a basic 3 gauge console and get use to that - then once the beals get done, you can splurge on a computer!

Replying to all on the bills...

My mistake on wording. I meant the equipment bills and class fee were "the stack." My "life" bills are fine. I'm spending within my means:smiley2: (sort of)

Just wondering if a dive computer was a smart purchase from the get-go? And if so, was Nitrox capability really that important (as it does tack on a few bones to the bill).

Chief_Brody
08-23-2007, 16:18

3. BC or BPW 3rd
4. Reg 4th
5. Then get a comp but you DO want to get nitrox even if you won't use it right away.

BPW 3rd? Yup, the FNG can decipher BPW!:smiley2:
Can you explain?

Exposure protection 2nd
Are you referring to a wet suit or dive insurance?

Credit... NO WAY! Been there, and still digging out of that!!!
Your concern is well founded and totally appreciated here!

Many thanks!

Flatliner
08-23-2007, 16:26

3. BC or BPW 3rd
4. Reg 4th

Can you explain?

Exposure protection 2nd

Many thanks!

Sorry about that.

Exposure protection - Wetsuit or dry suit. Rental suits aren't that great for most people.

BPW stands for back plate and wing. It is just another boyency control option. I find that what interests me in diving is the "Tech" stuff (deep, cave, wrecks). I am not there yet mind you, but I know that is where I will go eventually. In my case I wish I would have spent the extra money up front for that set up rather than what I have.

Lastly, my mistake on reading your original post. I too have wrestled the credit monster and while finally free, it sure resulted in some joyless years.

Chief_Brody
08-23-2007, 16:26
1st if your bills are stacking up scuba is an expensive sport to get into.

2nd if you're going to buy a computer might as well save a little and when you can purchase a nitrtox computer. It may save you money in the long run if you chose to take a nitrox class. Never know about the future and if you go someplace like Bonaire you will want nitrox. For a simple computer is not too much more.

I agree on the class. I know very little about the actual benefits of Nitrox, other than an increased safety factor. I'm sure there is a volume of info I would gain (and appreciate) from a Nitrox class.

NitroWill
08-23-2007, 16:28
Well in that case, defintely go Nitrox - even if you dont go Nitrox - its still there..:)

Chief_Brody
08-23-2007, 17:46
Well in that case, defintely go Nitrox - even if you dont go Nitrox - its still there..:)

Flexibility seems to be the recurring post themes here. Thanks man!:smiley20:

Chief_Brody
08-23-2007, 17:56

3. BC or BPW 3rd
4. Reg 4th

Can you explain?

Exposure protection 2nd

Many thanks!

Sorry about that.

Exposure protection - Wetsuit or dry suit. Rental suits aren't that great for most people.

BPW stands for back plate and wing. It is just another boyency control option. I find that what interests me in diving is the "Tech" stuff (deep, cave, wrecks). I am not there yet mind you, but I know that is where I will go eventually. In my case I wish I would have spent the extra money up front for that set up rather than what I have.

Lastly, my mistake on reading your original post. I too have wrestled the credit monster and while finally free, it sure resulted in some joyless years.

No worries at all. And me too... the tech stuff (more adventurous) is what floats my boat. That said, I know I'm not (and will not) be there for a long time. I want the Batman Spelunking gear but know it would be overkill at this stage in my game. Besides, this will give me time to wear out my new REC stuff... allowing me to look forward to the TECH stuff!:smiley2:

Credit... ooof. Still digging. While we're not in China, we still have many months to go. That said, I've decided I'm not going to stop living my life 100% to hit the credit heap 24/7. Popping for some scuba gear was carefully considered and a premeditated cash arrangment. Still, to any and all younger than me... cut up those cards... now. Your life will be better for it.

Zenagirl
08-23-2007, 18:41
I'll be in the minority here. When I bought gear, a computer was one of the first things I wanted to purchase. I want to be able to get the most out of my dives and not be bound by the square profile that diving guages/tables require. I had my own computer by the time I was logging my 3rd post certification dive and can't see diving without one ever.

I agree about getting it nitrox compatible, you don't want to have to buy a whole new computer when you decide to go to nitrox.

jeraldjcook
08-23-2007, 19:06
I'd take your own advise from your signature line. Anything you buy now, you'll want to replace in a year when you know what you really want. I'd wait until then.

Chief_Brody
08-23-2007, 19:24
I'll be in the minority here. When I bought gear, a computer was one of the first things I wanted to purchase. I want to be able to get the most out of my dives and not be bound by the square profile that diving guages/tables require. I had my own computer by the time I was logging my 3rd post certification dive and can't see diving without one ever.

I agree about getting it nitrox compatible, you don't want to have to buy a whole new computer when you decide to go to nitrox.

Hi, and thanks for the response.
Sort of my thoughts as well. I'm buying a BC (back flotation) and regulator for certain. Reason: seems only logical to learn and train with the gear I'll be using in the real pond. A dive computer would be the one optional piece of gear, but for the same training/learning reasons, it makes sense to me have it form the git-go.

Thanks for the feedback. Your experience is valued and appreciated.

Chief_Brody
08-23-2007, 19:27
I'd take your own advise from your signature line. Anything you buy now, you'll want to replace in a year when you know what you really want. I'd wait until then.

I hear you. And to an extent, I agree. However, I have a failing... I'm a pack rat. I NEVER recoup $$$ by selling off old inventory. I keep, carry, covet everything I buy, riding it into the "resale" ground needlessly. Its a definite failing of mine that I'm working on.

subsur
08-23-2007, 19:38
i'd buy a computer with nitrox capability, at least for 21-40%. when you go to warm water resorts, it's nice to have nitrox so that your bottom time is increased so divev computer with nitrox will come handy. when to buy? if you're buying your own gear then i'd buy it the last thing. if you're not planning to buy yourown gear but rent instead, you might as well rent a computer.

texarkandy
08-23-2007, 19:54
Well, I'm going to differ with the others here - if you are going to commit to scuba as a hobby, then I say spend a little time to do your research & talk to some poeple & then go ahead & get yourself a full set up, Regs, BCD, exposure suit(s), & even a tank or two. (no, I dont work for ST :) )

Being in Frisco you'll be able to weekend it to CSSP, Athens, Possum Kingdom, Travis, etc (& even over here to DeGray & Ouachita if u want to) - hook up with a local club (wish we had one here)

Do you really want to go rent that stuff everytime you go? How much are u gonna spend renting it? (aside from the inconvenience PITA of picking up/returning it on time)

If you can't afford top-notch - the get what you can afford. Nitrox compatible computers can be had for not that much $ more.

Me - I'm a relatively new diver too - I got a decent setup that will do me fine for the next few years I figure - it's not necessarily the latest top-notch whatever all the DIR, Tech, & experienced divers might be raving about, but it's decent stuff and I like it. In a few years I may start piecing it out & not get all that much for it - but at least I had it so I could get going and get as many dives as I could under my belt when I was new.

I bought new too - no e-bay or even ScubaBoard Classifieds stuff - maybe with more experience/knowledge and having seen a lot more gear in the future I'd consider picking up some used, but no way would I buy used from someone I don't know at this point in my diving "career".

Besides, if you buy it all in one shot you only have to hear it once from your wife or significant other :)

But that's just my take on it from my individual perspective, personality, & current life situation. Your decision may be different and whatever that is could be just as much the right thing for you.

And that's just my 2psi.

Chief_Brody
08-23-2007, 20:13
Besides, if you buy it all in one shot you only have to hear it once from your wife or significant other :)

Can you cook?:smiley20:
Excellent/insightful observation!

Flatliner
08-23-2007, 20:19

Can you cook?:smiley20:
Excellent/insightful observation!

:smilie39: Dude scuba gear is like CRACK. You can't get what you need ONCE and be happy...

MxDiver
08-23-2007, 21:20
:smilie39: Dude scuba gear is like CRACK. You can't get what you need ONCE and be happy...

All second that.
When I got my gear I considered what I may be getting into later on so I chose the gear that could serve me well for sometime, If you get a computer definitely go with a nitrox capable one, the difference in price is negligible compared to the amount of money we spend on gear as a whole. A modular BCD like Zeagle brigade could serve you for singles and doubles just by swapping wings.
Other advantage to buying everything (or at least several things) at once is you can get a package deal and save some extra cash.

cgvmer
08-23-2007, 21:27
I am still a noobie and still working and getting my gear together, I ask a similiar question http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=1745

If cost is an issue (isn't it always an issue), I would push off a computer purchase.

texarkandy
08-24-2007, 07:15
Other advantage to buying everything (or at least several things) at once is you can get a package deal and save some extra cash.

I think I saved quite a bit buying the following as a package
(Zeagle Brigade, Tusa RS-130 Reg, Mares Brigade Octo, Atmos 2 computer)

Zenagirl
08-24-2007, 07:41
Sort of my thoughts as well. I'm buying a BC (back flotation) and regulator for certain. Reason: seems only logical to learn and train with the gear I'll be using in the real pond. A dive computer would be the one optional piece of gear, but for the same training/learning reasons, it makes sense to me have it form the git-go.

Thanks for the feedback. Your experience is valued and appreciated.

Well...in addition to having a computer on my 3rd post-certification dive, I had all my own gear too. I bought a BC on ebay (used) and my regs/computer from ScubaToys. The regs/computer are the only things I haven't changed in my kit! ;)

If you're interested in a back inflate BC, I'd suggest you really look at the Zeagle Brigade, then for regs look at the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe and either do the Octo-Z or another Envoy for an octo. The Envoys are excellent regs (perfect score on ScubaLab testing) and not expensive at all. For me they breathe as well at 133 feet as 13 feet. ;)

The big question you'd have then would be whether you wanted to spend the money on an AI computer, or go with a non-integrated model. I bet ScubaToys could blow you away with their pricing of this package!

Personally, I'm a big fan of AI (air integrated) computers since I like to have everything in one place (pressure, depth, compass, nitrogen loading, oxygen loading), and I like the dive time remaining feature. But they do run quite a bit more than a non-integrated model, so if you're looking to put everything together and want to do it as cheaply as possible (for good stuff), a non-AI computer may be the way for you to go.

Ultimately you're the only one that can decide....have fun though, buying gear is a blast! :D

TAH 73
08-24-2007, 08:31
Check out our favorite scuba shop Scubatoys, better yet give them a call, thy do help over the phone and can probably suggest some really good items and probably put together a custom package or you.
And to echo the above posts the Brigade fits the bill of a well made back inflate BC that has some expandability with accessories etc.

Chief_Brody
09-01-2007, 23:47
Just figured I'd update the thread...

Decided to throw in for an Aeris Atmos II (Nitrox).

First... all the advice I received came through loud and logical. Thank you to each and every poster.

Second... I eventually made my decision based on my projected usage and capability. I don't just snap up the technical stuff real fast. I don't want to be learning my computer the first time I jump off a boat in salt water (which is probably 12 months away). I want to take it to Athens or Terrell a couple dozen times (wife-permitting) and really KNOW it before I trust it.

Third... I plan to roll into advanced as soon as I can. I wanted the computer for that duration.

More input is welcome. If not, I got a ton out of this thread. Thank you all for taking the time to add input.