PDA

View Full Version : Using regular camera for diving

bennerman
04-14-2009, 19:27
Hi, any ideas how I can use my regular camera underwater, such as a ziplock bag? And any way I can attach it to myself so it won't fall?

Rainer
04-14-2009, 19:29
Hi, any ideas how I can use my regular camera underwater, such as a ziplock bag? And any way I can attach it to myself so it won't fall?

Don't bother with the ziplock bag, just use liberal amounts of Saran Wrap. Should be good to at least 130'.

bennerman
04-14-2009, 19:31
excellent, and as for attaching it to myself?

Rainer
04-14-2009, 19:34
Magnets. Liberal use of magnets should work well.

bandit6789
04-14-2009, 19:59
Or a cotton sock would also work just as well

bandit6789
04-14-2009, 20:12
No but really look at IKELITE Underwater Systems (http://www.ikelite.com)

Rainer
04-14-2009, 20:19
Do you put the camera in the sock then in that Ikelite housing, or the camera in the housing, which then goes in the sock?

Seriously, this stuff is complicated.

bandit6789
04-14-2009, 20:25
Come on it's obvious you do both, the sock protects the housing from getting too wet

Rainer
04-14-2009, 20:30
Sorry...

RoyN
04-14-2009, 20:43

You should see if the maker of your camera offers any underwater housing for it. If not, then you're out of luck, but not completely out of luck. There is several companies that actually makes cameras for underwater like Sealife, Sea & sea, and Bonica. They're pricey, but if you were to buy a canon camera and buy its housing, it probably will run you the same price. Another option is get a sony, olympusm, or canon camera and get the housing for it. Anyways, if you take your camera in a plastic bag, it will leak. I don't know why people are suggesting you to wrap it in a bag, you're just inviting death and destruction for your camera.

bennerman
04-14-2009, 21:15
I have been meaning to throw the camera in question out, anyway, what is the worst that could happen?

RoyN
04-14-2009, 21:23
I have been meaning to throw the camera in question out, anyway, what is the worst that could happen?

It floods and pretty much is destroyed. Once when water gets into the camera, the chances of it being saved it slim, repair cost would be so costly its cheaper to buy a new camera. Also, the pressure from the water will compress the camera's button where you can't operate it properly too.

bennerman
04-14-2009, 21:27
Again, the camera I plan to use is grabage as it is, it is expendable. Trial and error, in the name of science and all that

paperdesk
04-14-2009, 22:03
What a crazy idea, but if you're serious, you'll probably have fun.

The main issue you'll face is getting a clear "window" through which to shoot the photo. A heavy duty zip lock bag might work to keep the water out, at least for a while at certain depths, but your pictures won't look too good. If you do want to risk the ziplock bag trick, I'd suggest you put some weight in there to keep it neutral, and also fill the bag with air to allow for compression. I think it will leak, but maybe not before you could snap a few photos.

Ewa-marine makes several generic and less expensive waterproof bags for camera's. They're basicly super tough ziplocks.

BubblesMcCoy
04-15-2009, 11:41
Seems like buoyancy would also be an issue with the ziplock method.

CompuDude
04-15-2009, 12:29

It also won't take long for pressure to start pushing all the buttons on the camera in. Like the shutter release. The internal springs won't have enough ooomph to push back out, either.

This is why real camera housings are hard plastic with push rods (heavily springed) to push the internal buttons.

The Ewa-marine bags will work, for a while, but will leak eventually. Thing is, they're just expensive enough it seems silly to waste the money on a "semi-real" housing for a camera that you know will die soon.

bennerman
04-15-2009, 14:00
again, I will try the improvised methods. If I lose that camera, its no big deal. I was planning on letting my friends play street hockey with it :P

FishFood
04-15-2009, 14:04
Canadians :dunno:

bennerman
04-15-2009, 14:20
Pardonez-moi?!

wgt
04-15-2009, 14:32
Here's an idea...take a smooth rock and put it in the ziploc bag. Take it on a dive. If the bag stays dry, then try it with your throw-away hockey puck camera. If the bag is wet inside, then donate the camera to your friends without worrying about wasting a perfectly good set of batteries.

Pardonez-moi?!

bennerman
04-15-2009, 14:41
Here's an idea...take a smooth rock and put it in the ziploc bag. Take it on a dive. If the bag stays dry, then try it with your throw-away hockey puck camera. If the bag is wet inside, then donate the camera to your friends without worrying about wasting a perfectly good set of batteries.

Pardonez-moi?!

That is the best idea I have heard in a while now

wgt
04-15-2009, 14:45
Fortunately, I have Asperger's disease, and ziploc bags just happen to be my thing. Lemme know if any other ziploc issues raise their ugly heads.

That is the best idea I have heard in a while now

bennerman
04-15-2009, 15:04
I have tourettes, and twitching my eye is my thing, so I feel for you :)

paperdesk
04-15-2009, 15:29
When are you diving again, you've got an interested audience. I'd love to hear how it goes.

bennerman
04-15-2009, 15:39
can do. Based on the design though, it looks fairly water-tight as it is...

bennerman
04-15-2009, 16:45
Ok, yes, a camera can last underwater... just for not very long :P

paperdesk
04-15-2009, 19:08

It also won't take long for pressure to start pushing all the buttons on the camera in. Like the shutter release. The internal springs won't have enough ooomph to push back out, either.

This is why real camera housings are hard plastic with push rods (heavily springed) to push the internal buttons.

The Ewa-marine bags will work, for a while, but will leak eventually. Thing is, they're just expensive enough it seems silly to waste the money on a "semi-real" housing for a camera that you know will die soon.

This is why he should inflate the bag with pleanty of air before descending and put in a little weight as mentioned above.

fisheater
04-15-2009, 20:33
Someone should video this.

At least for grins, and possibly for a school project.

bennerman
04-15-2009, 20:49
The camera is already broken, too late for that... and if I could video it, why would I need to figure out how to get a video camera underwater?

CompuDude
04-16-2009, 02:12
The camera is already broken, too late for that... and if I could video it, why would I need to figure out how to get a video camera underwater?

Sounds like you just need a bigger ziploc.

Roughwater
04-16-2009, 02:44
What sort of depth are you hoping to get to?

bennerman
04-16-2009, 06:56
well, however deep the landfill is... or I might send it to one of those drives for old cameras for proper disposal.

bennerman
04-16-2009, 14:15
Lol, defying all logic, the camera is in working order. Its like that jerk that every one hates, and just won't die (A.K.A. Me)

wgt
04-16-2009, 15:48
Did somebody say "ZIPLOC"?

Sounds like you just need a bigger ziploc.

bennerman
04-17-2009, 15:22
Are all underwater cameras just regulars but with housings, or do they actually make waterproof digital cameras without housings?

CompuDude
04-17-2009, 15:45
Are all underwater cameras just regulars but with housings, or do they actually make waterproof digital cameras without housings?

There are a few truly waterproof cameras. Olympus makes one that is actually waterproof... no housing needed... down to 33' (their rating), but I've read reports of taking down to 70' no problem, although the buttons start sticking. They make a real housing for it as well so you can take it deep without fear, if you want... nice because it wouldn't be hurt by floods, either.

Amazon.com: Olympus Stylus 1030SW 10.1MP Digital Camera with 3.6x Optical Wide Angle Zoom (Black): Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus-1030SW-Digital-Optical/dp/B0011E87RM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1240002133&sr=8-4)

Unfortunately, reports of the picture quality have been less than 100% enthusiastic. Not terrible, but not great.

Old film Nikonos cameras were waterproof as well.

There are a number of cheap cameras that are good to about 10' as well, sold as good for kayaking and snorkeling.

But most cameras, if you want really good pictures, and to take them deep, need a hard housing.

mcr0112
05-28-2009, 03:24
I've tried to keep items dry on my motorcycle using ziplock bags inside my backpack. No luck so far.