PDA

View Full Version : Zeagle Tech Express BCD

jiffy
04-14-2009, 22:10
I am a new diver just OW certified. Zeagle has caught my eye with their quality gear and great customer service.

I am looking at getting a mostly warm water setup for tropical rec dives, and possibly doing some wrecks, spear fishing, and lobstering.

I really like the Ranger and Stilleto. But, I have been reading the great things many have to say about BP/W setups. The Tech Express looks like a great alternative to this debate. The only thing my untrained eye notices is the lack of D-rings on the Tech Express. Can they be added? Would this work well for what my purposes are?

Any other opinions on a set up would be great.

ScottZeagle
04-15-2009, 07:41
You can add as many d-rings as you'd like to the BC.

I do a good bit of spearfishing myself, and I love the Stiletto, as do many other guys that use it for that purpose, including commercial spearfisherman...

Don't get bogged down in all the BP/W discussion on the forums....try a few things out, if possible, and choose what you like, what fits you well and helps you achieve your diving goals.

Thanks,

Scott

Lulubelle
04-15-2009, 07:48
You can add as many d-rings as you'd like to the BC.

I do a good bit of spearfishing myself, and I love the Stiletto, as do many other guys that use it for that purpose, including commercial spearfisherman...

Don't get bogged down in all the BP/W discussion on the forums....try a few things out, if possible, and choose what you like, what fits you well and helps you achieve your diving goals.

Thanks,

Scott

So Scott, why do people like the Stiletto for spearfishing? I am diving one, I like it a lot, although I haven't quite gotten my storage/configuration down yet.

Bouzouki Joe and are seriously thinking about learning to spearfish this summer in NC, we're tire of coming up from a dive and paying big bucks for really fresh local catch, so if my BC is well suited to spearfishing, do tell.

L

DMWiz
04-15-2009, 08:05
I think the OP was trying to figure out "how" to add d-rings to the express.
The harness on the express can be removed like you would on a BP&W rig and you could add shoulder pads, d-rings and all sort of things since it's regular webbing like any other bc.

Zeagle actually sells a shoulder pad/d-ring kit for it (http://www.zeagle.com/showproduct/79/Express-Tech-Pad-Kit/). Although I would add SS d-rings rather than plastic d-rings from the kit.

James
09-24-2009, 00:18
I have a BC that I am looking to replace. It is that bright orange (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=RipTideBC) one that ST sold about a year or 2 back. Seeing as I bought it before taking my class (do not do that, btw) I figured it looked useful with all the straps and d-rings and pockets and stuff. But I find that it is uncomfortable for me because it is a bit restricting and may be a bit too big for me. It is bulky to deal with on boats or in my car or in storage etc. Also, I never really use the pockets except to fill with stuff because I feel like if I don't put something in the pocket it is a waste. The only accessory I have to carry is a $15 underwater camera from CVS which would be better clipped to a D-Ring as fumbling with the pockets is annoying.

I have been looking for a back inflate assuming I would like that better as there is less wrapping around me and getting in the way. Then I stumbled onto this (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=ZeagleExpressTechBCD) (Zeagle Express Tech BCD) which lead me to look at BP/W.
What is the difference between this and a BP/W setup? To the untrained eye this looks like a plastic back plate with a wing sold as one unit. There is even a video on another site selling this unit (for a bit more $) that shows how to put it together and add accessories and it looks like the video on ST of how to rig a BP/W (minus the metal and the crotch strap).
Basically, I am just looking for why this is less than purchasing the BP and W separately - I can't even find a wing for less than the Zeagle Express. Is this durable or am I looking at a couple of years before having to replace it.
I like that is compact and simple.

Somebody just tell me it is great and that I should buy it and try to sell the riptide...

mitsuguy
09-24-2009, 00:52
I have a BC that I am looking to replace. It is that bright orange (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=RipTideBC) one that ST sold about a year or 2 back. Seeing as I bought it before taking my class (do not do that, btw) I figured it looked useful with all the straps and d-rings and pockets and stuff. But I find that it is uncomfortable for me because it is a bit restricting and may be a bit too big for me. It is bulky to deal with on boats or in my car or in storage etc. Also, I never really use the pockets except to fill with stuff because I feel like if I don't put something in the pocket it is a waste. The only accessory I have to carry is a $15 underwater camera from CVS which would be better clipped to a D-Ring as fumbling with the pockets is annoying.

I have been looking for a back inflate assuming I would like that better as there is less wrapping around me and getting in the way. Then I stumbled onto this (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=ZeagleExpressTechBCD) (Zeagle Express Tech BCD) which lead me to look at BP/W.
What is the difference between this and a BP/W setup? To the untrained eye this looks like a plastic back plate with a wing sold as one unit. There is even a video on another site selling this unit (for a bit more $) that shows how to put it together and add accessories and it looks like the video on ST of how to rig a BP/W (minus the metal and the crotch strap).
Basically, I am just looking for why this is less than purchasing the BP and W separately - I can't even find a wing for less than the Zeagle Express. Is this durable or am I looking at a couple of years before having to replace it.
I like that is compact and simple.

Somebody just tell me it is great and that I should buy it and try to sell the riptide...

you are correct, it is basically a bp/w with a plastic plate and smallish wing... would work great in warm waters where not a lot of lift is needed, but may not be so great if you are having to wear some lead in colder waters... I do not know how well the plastic plate will hold up, but I don't think it would be much of an issue... couple things - it would require a weight belt or an added weight system, and you would definitely want to order some d-rings for it...

ScottZeagle
09-24-2009, 08:03
You can actually put any size bladder on it, should you chose to.

I even know people that are diving this rig with double tanks and sidemounting bottles. If it can be done, a diver will figure out how to do it!!! ;)

This BC was built as a lightweight alternative to a BP, but it has taken off and is now being used in numerous applications.

Grin
09-24-2009, 08:10
The Stilletto is basically what all the warm water spearfisherman asked for that owned Rangers back when the Ranger was super popular, even in warm water. Rangers are a great BC but they are kind of overkill for warm water single tank diving. The Stilletto is a leaner version of the Ranger in virually every way, but kind of the same in design. Smaller wing, less bulky strapping, but same amount of D rings etc... Pocketts a little smaller(I think).
BP and wing vs Stilletto isn't to much difference. A Stainless BP removes 5-6 lbs out of you weight pouches, and with a BP/ Wing, if you want pocketts you have to buy them, but you get to choose how big and where you will put them. You also can choose any sized wing you want instead of it being chosen for you as per your choice of BC. If buying new, a BP wing settup is probably less $ than a new Stilletto.

James
09-24-2009, 15:56
you are correct, it is basically a bp/w with a plastic plate and smallish wing... would work great in warm waters where not a lot of lift is needed, but may not be so great if you are having to wear some lead in colder waters... I do not know how well the plastic plate will hold up, but I don't think it would be much of an issue... couple things - it would require a weight belt or an added weight system, and you would definitely want to order some d-rings for it...
So far, the coldest I have ever been I wore a 5mil and took 22lbs of weight. I think I was a bit overweighted but I didn't want to be the guy that couldn't stay on the bottom. But lets say I needed 25 lbs of weight to keep me down, would that be more than the bladder could handle? I mean, if I need 24lbs to keep me down something else (5mil of neoprene and my flesh) is also supplying positive buoyancy right? So unless I took off the wetsuite and kept all the weights the bladder wouldn't have to lift all 25lbs. Or am I totally screwing up scuba logic here?
I understand that there is extra weight for tanks that has to be calculated in there but what I am trying to figure out is how much would the bladder actually needs to lift if I am weighted properly.
If I can't use the BC to dive in the Gulf of Mexico in January (Single tank, 5mil semi-dry max) and carry a spear gun then maybe it would not be the BC for me.

James
09-29-2009, 09:15
I purchased the Zeagle Express Tech BC (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=ZeagleExpressTechBCD) last night. Hopefully it ships out today and I get my tracking number soon so I can sit at my computer and refresh the UPS tracking page every few minutes (it helps, it really does).

Thanks for all your input about the BC!

jupitertreasures
10-05-2009, 13:18
I hope you enjoy it.
I have a DUI Intrepid Explorer that I use for travel and it's nearly identical to the Zeagle Express Tech.
Packs lights and is an awesome warm water BC.
The only drawback was that it's not weight integrated.
I added a set of OMS aftermarket weifght pockets to remedy that.

Not a big fan of weightbelts.

enterkin
10-07-2009, 20:04
I hope you enjoy it. I "downgraded" from a much bulkier BC earlier this year because I wanted something that would be easy to pack.

I swapped the plastic buckle out for a SS one, and added 4 SS d-rings. I also added the rip-cord weight system. Since I gave up two pockets (that I could hardly get into anyway) on my old BC I ordered the Dive Rite Thigh Pocket which sits in exactly the right place.

Frankly I couldn't be happier with mine.

Grover
04-01-2010, 07:12
Now that you have had a chance to dive the Express Tech, any opinions or changes you would make?

Oren
06-24-2010, 14:23
Just ordered mine. Was going to go with a BP/W setup at first but for travel the zeagle looks much better and easier to pack. Not to mention the price! $248 here is a steal. A BP/W setup will cost you at least another $150-200