PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone stayed at / dived with CasaDelMar??

COScubaBob
04-16-2009, 21:29
My wife & I are planning a trip to Cozumel and we had some friends tell us that Casa Del Mar is great place to stay, and dive with.
We've looked at all the other posts on here regarding places to stay and who to dive with, but we saw no mention of this place.
Soooooo...... we were wondering..... any info or opinions??

Diver Kat
04-16-2009, 22:37
Well .... we haven't stayed there ...yet! We're booked there for our December trip, and looking forward to checking the place out. We have some friends that have stayed there about 9 times over the last few years and really like the place. I haven't run across any real bad reviews. We got a ridiculously cheap deal through Orbitz ($480 for the week), which includes a rental car, and all the taxes.

Don't know much about the dive op on site, as I have my own favorite (Scuba with Alison) that I book with.

If you're going sooner than December, would love to hear what you think when you get back!

TRACI
04-17-2009, 07:17
I have stayed at Casa Del Mar about 6 times. It is a great place to stay. The included breakfast buffet is really good, as well as all the other food. You usually can get a all inclusive deal for about $40 per person, per day when you check in at the hotel.
I have never done any diving with the shop because they usually have pretty large boats with lots, lots of divers, but they may offer the 6 pack fast boats too.

DarkCoffee
04-17-2009, 08:55
Was at Casa Del Mar a couple of weeks ago.

Nice place and easy access to their dock (Del Mar Aquatics) via a 'skywalk' over the road. We dove with a 3rd party (Troy from Palegic) who just pulled up to the Del Mar dock daily. The hotel has a small snorkeling area by their dock as well.

Its about '10 minutes' from everywhere on the island (sorry.. running joke).. Actually its a 80 peso taxi ride to the Centros (or 40 minute brisk walk), 10 minute walk from Papa Hogs (really), and OXXO (conv. store) within 5 minutes which has an ATM (peso only).

The hotel has wireless hotspot in the lobby as well as a public internet PC.

There were three other scuba 'groups' staying there during the week we were there.

I would have no hesitation in staying there again.

PlatypusMan
04-17-2009, 10:00
Dove with Del Mar Aquatics in 2005 a few months after the Hurricane.

Would not hesitate to dive them again.

PPM

Bob-B
04-19-2009, 19:50
Just got home from Cozumel and staying at Casa Del Mar. My wife and I got a package air and hotel deal and had no idea what the place was like. We had a standard room, that my wife said was like our daughters dorm room. Two days after we got there a large group of people left and we were able to upgrade to a "Oceanview" room. Well worth the extra money, about $85 for the remaining 5 days. I would go back there anytime, but my wife who does not dive did not like it as much. Mostly because it was away from town and an 80 pesco cab ride to go into town.

We had breakfast included, but they don't start serving till 7:00am and the dive boats start leaving at 8:00am. Always rushed in the morning.

Del Mar Aquatics is located across the street. They have several boats that go out. While I was there the big boat was taking a large group of 18-20 divers, all from the same dive group. While I was on a small boat (fast) with about 8 divers. I would go back diving with them any time.

There are a lot of good places to eat, other than at the hotel. Went to Papa Hogs for a burger which was good, and had a great lunch at Blue Angel resort on top of the dive shop. I think it was called Rendvous Blu.

The resort is small and caters to divers, was clean and well taken care of. If you need any information while you are there talk to "Oscar" at the travel information desk. He is a wealth of information and can set up a side trip or car rental.

But upgrade to the Oceanview room, if you are booked into a standard room. Oh yeah, love the diving on Cozumel!!

scubarobin
04-20-2009, 08:34
we stayed at Casa del Mar back about 7 yrs ago and liked it. Didn't use the dive op there, we booked with Papahogs which is closeby. We rented a car for a week, drove up to Papahogs every morning and had breakfast, got on boats and did 2 dives, returned to Papahogs and ate lunch, then back out on boat for afternoon dive. It worked out great for us, 3 dives per day and breakfast & lunch there at Papahogs then back to Casa del Mar to relax, play in pool or hit the little beach area, then shower and drive downtown for dinner each night. :smiley20:The rooms have TV which was nice as by 7pm we were in the rooms, doing dive logs and relaxing, charging batteries for cameras, and watching TV before sleep.

robin

gthomas
04-20-2009, 11:08
We've stayed there a couple times. Nothing fancy but clean rooms, casual dining which we liked. Easy walk to the pier. Overall good experience and will stay there again.

cowgirldiver
04-20-2009, 12:24
I've stayed at Casa del Mar the 2 times I've been to Coz. First time my son and I were in one of the standard rooms-it was ok-looked out on to the parking lot and I would have liked to have a hairdryer. The second time, I was booked in a standard room-they took me to the same exact room from the first time (I thought, do they keep track of these things????) I ended up moving to one of the oceanview rooms by my friends (I think it was $15 extra per night). There were hairdryers, the room was overall bigger and there was a little place outside the sliding doors to hang your gear to dry. I believe for those who are not divers, they also have a day spa that you can take a taxi to. We docked there one day for lunch. Everything can be charged back to your room. They had a nice beach, a pool, hot tub, spa and a restaurant with the standard fare.

Travelnsj
04-20-2009, 14:55
I was there a couple of years ago....although the standard rooms were a bit small they were nice, meals very good and the Dive operation great. I would stay there again.

COScubaBob
04-21-2009, 11:04
THANKS EVERYONE!!

We've booked a trip and be staying there from May 30th - June 6th.
When we get back we'll be posting a report - both about the Hotel & accommodations, and of course the Dive Op. Since this is our first trip there, we figured we'd give the resort Dive op a try and scout the other places for future trips.

Again, thank you all for the positive info...
Bob
:smiley31:

jball
06-26-2009, 21:05
Hey ScubaBob:

Sounds like we were there the same week. We were with the Underwater Phantaseas group out of Lakewood (took second place in the 'dress like a pirate' contest.)

Anyway, we had a great time there, with a room with a great upper-level ocean view. Very convenient to the boat dock. Our arrangement was all-inclusive, which we've never done before, but found very convenient given that this was our first dive trip and we were much more focused on the diving than we were on checking out Cozumel (we've both spent a lot of time in Mexico over the years). The hotel was very clean; staff very friendly; food good enough. Location is about half-way between town and most of the dive sites, so the ride/walk into town was a bit long and the boat rides to most of the sites were 30-60 minutes. If it were'nt for the fact that we are into checking out new places all the time, we'd go back.

Zeagle Eagle
06-28-2009, 10:02
Pros: I have stayed there maybe 20+ times and can recommend them. I always get a great rate. I like the Jacuzzi and the in-pool bar. The rooms are clean (never seen a bug) and I have never "lost" any of my gear when leaving it in the room. Many of the rooms have wooden cubby holes to lay out your smaller pieces for easy access; i.e. cameras, flashlights, dive computers. The beds are comfy. Occasionally, I get a free room upgrade. There is a shower by the pool and it's a good place to rinse gear and have some food/drink and fill out your log book. BTW, the food is okay, it's not gourmet but it is acceptable. Many evenings lots of divers gather in the bar to see Ceasar's (photographer) video of the previous dives.

Cons: I wish there were more areas inside the room to hang/dry gear. There is lots of room on the balcony's; but, it consists of wooden pegs sticking out of the stucco and your gear lays up against the wall. I don't like drying my stuff in the sun. A rolling valet with scuba hangers would be nice. It's a bit of a hike when your room is near the front of the hotel to get to the dive shop, lot's of stairs
The restaurant opens at 7AM and it can be a rush to eat and then be on time for the 8AM boat departure. I wish they opened at 6:30

There is no wireless internet in the rooms. You have to go down to the lobby. How hard would it be to provide wireless to the rooms?

If you are looking for a "Cancun" experience... it's not. It's sorta' laid back and quiet.

COScubaBob
07-05-2009, 21:40
Hey Jball!! Yep we were there too!! and we were doing the Spring Fling right along with you! Two of our friends beat you guys for the best pirate costume, but yours were very good also. Didn't you win a return trip for several days free?
The dive shop in Boulder that we went with has a New Years Eve trip planned to the same resort -- about $500 more, but added another day of dives, and of course it's their high season down there. We're going then and some of our same group is going with us.
Probably another pirate contest! Wanna challenge us?? LOL!!

We agree about the Casa Del Mar from what Zeagle Eagle said. But the dive crew, boat crew, shop crew were all EXCELLENT! That alone made up for the mediocre food, but with the "all-inclusive" package we had, we had absolutely no problem with drinks!! If you wanted a stronger one, just say so. Several times we said "no" to more margs, but the waiter just brought another round with a smile on his face!

The positives far outweighed the negatives and we'll certainly be going back there.

jball
07-07-2009, 11:17
Hey Jball!! Yep we were there too!! and we were doing the Spring Fling right along with you! Two of our friends beat you guys for the best pirate costume, but yours were very good also. Didn't you win a return trip for several days free?
The dive shop in Boulder that we went with has a New Years Eve trip planned to the same resort -- about $500 more, but added another day of dives, and of course it's their high season down there. We're going then and some of our same group is going with us.
Probably another pirate contest! Wanna challenge us?? LOL!!

We agree about the Casa Del Mar from what Zeagle Eagle said. But the dive crew, boat crew, shop crew were all EXCELLENT! That alone made up for the mediocre food, but with the "all-inclusive" package we had, we had absolutely no problem with drinks!! If you wanted a stronger one, just say so. Several times we said "no" to more margs, but the waiter just brought another round with a smile on his face!

The positives far outweighed the negatives and we'll certainly be going back there.
Yep - we did win 3 days of 2-tank diving, but had to use it before the end of the year, so we gave it to friends who are headed down in a couple months. We talked about checking out the Boulder dive shop tours and probably will sign up for one. If we can make the NYE trip back to Cozumel, we definitely will take you up on the costume challenge. Especially now that we know the prize!