PDA

View Full Version : muck stick?

jet126
04-17-2009, 08:12
I'm headed to Lembeh in the next few months. A muck stick was recommended and I've read about everything from a cheap chopstick to fancy-schmancy store-bought versions. A lot of people make their own but I'm not exactly MacGyver ... any thoughts?

Thanks!
jet

chinacat46
04-17-2009, 12:41
Yeah when you get to Lembeh Resort buy one at there dive shop for $10.

clararhb
04-17-2009, 13:17
And what exactly is a muck stick??

Rileybri
04-17-2009, 14:10
And what exactly is a muck stick??

I am not sure what he is referring to but in my neck of the woods thats what we call someone who does not have a good handle on there buoyancy or lack there of and implants themselves into the muck at the bottom so only there fins and tank boot can be seen! lol also known as a mud dart......:smilie39:

jet126
04-17-2009, 17:40
Thanks Chuck. If they sell them there that's one less thing to pack.

For those curious: a mud stick is used to steady yourself in bouncy current if you're trying to take a photo, rather than put even one finger on the critter-filled bottom. Currently I might have a few more dives logged than some of you but when it comes to photos ... let's just say my UW camera is still in the box.

DevilDiver
04-17-2009, 22:53
http://reefphoto.com/images/tio.ms.fg.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:popupWindow('http://reefphoto.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=1754'))

Tio's Muck Stick - Fiberglass 15"

Tio's Muck Stick is the underwater photographers best friend and this is our best stick! You can:

Use it to "pole" along the bottom. This is particularly useful in areas that are easily silted.
Use it as a monopod. Try this for macro work! Plant the tip of your muck stick in the sand. Hold the muck stick in your hand as you grip the camera. Lock your focus and rock back and forth until perfect focus is attained, then snap the shot.
Use it as a hold-off for walls or coral heads, or just to steady yourself in the surge!
Use it as a tank banger to get the attention of your dive buddy.Constructed of rust free .38" fiberglass for super light weight, this muck stick is 15" long and includes a stainless steel ring and handy wrist lanyard.

jet126
04-18-2009, 05:48
Nice school 'o tarpon, DD

DevilDiver
04-18-2009, 08:41
Thanks!!

I am glad you mentioned that pic, unfortunately I am deleting that photo. I have sold the picture and the rights to it to the Ulster Museum in Belfast, Ireland.

The photo will be used to show what the extinct "Bulldog Fish" (Xiphactinus audax) could have looked similar to if the species survived.
The Ulster Museum - Bulldog Fish (http://www.ulstermuseum.org.uk/the-collections/natural-sciences/ancient-life/bulldog-fish/)

I had forgotten that it was posted here. :smiley5:

waytooslow
04-18-2009, 09:16
Thanks!!

I am glad you mentioned that pic, unfortunately I am deleting that photo. I have sold the picture and the rights to it to the Ulster Museum in Belfast, Ireland.

The photo will be used to show what the extinct "Bulldog Fish" (Xiphactinus audax) could have looked similar to if the species survived.
The Ulster Museum - Bulldog Fish (http://www.ulstermuseum.org.uk/the-collections/natural-sciences/ancient-life/bulldog-fish/)

I had forgotten that it was posted here. :smiley5:

dang wish I got to see it. :smiley5:

DevilDiver
04-18-2009, 16:35
Another option for a "muck stick" would be to purchase a drill bit extension from a Home Depot or Lowe's type place. The attachment end usually has 1 or 2 set screws that the knotted end of a length of surgical tubing could be pushed into and the set screws tightened to secure for the lanyard.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/100/3f/3f31b387-11a5-4dd9-9e97-1fdcc9d18017_100.jpg (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100495386&N=10000003+90401+524411)
RIDGID
No. 7035, 12 In. Hole Saw Extension (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100495386&N=10000003+90401+524411)
Model 7035
$9.96

jet126
04-18-2009, 17:18
Deleting the tarpon photo??? I should've kept my mouth shut! :) I sometimes see big tarpon like that in the reefs by my house.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the drill bit. I may take a look-see ... I DID mention I'm not MacGyver, right?!?

chinacat46
04-18-2009, 17:47
For $10 you can get when at Lembeh Resort. No MacGyver needed.

Travelnsj
04-18-2009, 20:55
I did not know they had Muck sticks at the Lembeh Resort dive shop....if so I'll pick up an exxtra one when I go....do you need one ChucK?...I know you are doing the economy thing when you go this year and not staying at Lembeh resort!:smilie39:

DevilDiver
04-18-2009, 21:02
Deleting the tarpon photo???

Sorry to do it but they wanted all rights so I need to do the right thing, I had just forgot that I had posted it here last year. I took that photo with the Sealife DC500 and no strobe.

:) I sometimes see big tarpon like that in the reefs by my house.

Very cool! That is still one of my favorite dives... I don't even tell people about the location.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the drill bit. I may take a look-see ... I DID mention I'm not MacGyver, right?!?

No problem,it's not a drill bit though.. It's just an extention. Almost like the one I posted from Reef Photo above but made of stainless steel.

If you can pick one up at Lembeh that is great but if some one is looking for one and not going there the one at Reef Photo or the DIY one are options....

chinacat46
04-18-2009, 21:25
I did not know they had Muck sticks at the Lembeh Resort dive shop....if so I'll pick up an exxtra one when I go....do you need one ChucK?...I know you are doing the economy thing when you go this year and not staying at Lembeh resort!:smilie39:

Thx, Scott but I already have one. Yeah I'll be roughing it with unlimited dives and only me and Linda with our own boat and guide. While you are on a boat with up to 5 or 6 other divers. :smiley20:

Travelnsj
04-18-2009, 21:32

Thx, Scott but I already have one. Yeah I'll be roughing it with unlimited dives and only me and Linda with our own boat and guide. While you are on a boat with up to 5 or 6 other divers. :smiley20:

I get unlimited diving also....if you look at my Avatar I will be diving where those boats are and beyond....and yes will be diving with 4 or 5 (never had more on a boat) camera pros who seek out the rarest of sea life....Also i will have a Remy XO toast to you...and then off to my AC room:smiley20:

Also some of my dive guides were trained by Larry Smith!

chinacat46
04-18-2009, 21:38

I get unlimited diving also....if you look at my Avatar I will be diving where those boats are and beyond....and yes will be diving with 4 or 5 (never had more on a boat) camera pros who seek out the rarest of sea life....Also i will have a Remy XO toast to you...and then off to my AC room:smiley20:

Also some of my dive guides were trained by Larry Smith!

And how do you know that my dive guide won't be trained by Larry? He was at KBR not Lembeh Resort. He trained most of the dive guides in the Lembeh area. As for unlimited diving. I get unlimited "BOAT" diving. I can go all over the strait. You get 3 boat dives a day. Then have to pay for a night dive. I'll be doing 5 boat dives(4 day and 1 night). I'll be paying less and although I won't have AC at that time of year especially after doing 5 dives a day I won't want AC at night. Gee with the :smiley32:money I'll be saving I can pick up a bottle of Remy XO in Singapore and it will work out to less then what you will be toasting me with. :smilie39:

Are you saying that Linda and I won't be seeking out the rarest of sea life? LOL

Travelnsj
04-18-2009, 21:49
Your DM could of been trained by Larry...maybe...possibly...as the Zen Master says we will seeeeeeee...But I know the Dive guides I can chose from were:smiley20:......Also that house reef at Lembeh resort is pretty good to get an extra dive or two in!.....Did I tell you when I was there in December how hot it was...I did a 4 tank dive one day.....sure glad I had that AC:smiley20:...I know how much you love warm, humid weather...stay cool:smilie39:

chinacat46
04-18-2009, 21:56
Your DM could of been trained by Larry...maybe...possibly...as the Zen Master says we will seeeeeeee...But I know the Dive guides I can chose from were:smiley20:......Also that house reef at Lembeh resort is pretty good to get an extra dive or two in!.....Did I tell you when I was there in December how hot it was...I did a 4 tank dive one day.....sure glad I had that AC:smiley20:...I know how much you love warm, humid weather...stay cool:smilie39:

Wow a 4 tank dive one day.:smilie40: Wasn't it you who told me you turned the AC off at night.:smiley21: If not you better get a new email address cause somebody is using yours.

Did I tell you that we also get free soda, free wifi and free laundry all things you have to pay extra for. Not to mention night boat dives. Damn all those extras for less money and friend to dive with. No wonder you are jealous. :smiley31:

Joanie, sorry for hijacking your thread but Scott is so jealous he had to start this.

Travelnsj
04-18-2009, 22:05
Wow a 4 tank dive one day.:smilie40: Wasn't you who told me you turned the AC off at night.:smiley21:

Did I tell you that we also get free soda, free wifi and free laundry all things you have to pay extra for. Not to mention night boat dives. Damn all those extras for less money and friend to dive with. No wonder you are jealous. :smiley31:

Unlike you I befriend many people when I go on my dive trips:smilie39:...so I have no worries.....And you have the years confused....in October 08 it was very comfortable at nite....in December 07....HOT..HOT....but I read you can shower before bedtime and wrap yourself in a wet sheet with a fan over you...to survive:smilie39::smilie39:...and I have free Wifi also!:smiley20:

Next:smilie40:

chinacat46
04-18-2009, 22:09
Wow a 4 tank dive one day.:smilie40: Wasn't you who told me you turned the AC off at night.:smiley21:

Unlike you I befriend many people when I go on my dive trips:smilie39:...so I have no worries.....And you have the years confused....in October 08 it was very comfortable at nite....in December 07....HOT..HOT....but I read you can shower before bedtime and wrap yourself in a wet sheet with a fan over you...to survive:smilie39::smilie39:...and I have free Wifi also!:smiley20:

According to the website the wifi ain't free. Are you stealing it? I'm telling Danny. But what about the laundry and soda dude? Are you gonna steal wifi in your smelly clothes and drink water?

I was there in Dec of 08 and I didn't need the AC at night so you and I both know you are full of it.

Wow 4 tank dives in one day :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

As for befriending people. I've gone on other trips with people I've met have you?

chinacat46
04-18-2009, 22:15
Well Scott you win. You get to pay more for less but you have AC you get to turn off. Not to mention only 3 boat dives compared to our unlimited. Not to mention our free soda, laundry and wifi. I don't know why we don't pay more for less. I guess we just aren't as smart as you. Have a good night.

Travelnsj
04-18-2009, 22:20
Well Scott you win. You get to pay more for less but you have AC you get to turn off. Not to mention only 3 boat dives compared to our unlimited. Not to mention our free soda, laundry and wifi. I don't know why we don't pay more for less. I guess we just aren't as smart as you. Have a good night.

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:.....Back to the muck stick thingy:smiley20:

chinacat46
04-18-2009, 22:25
okay back to the muck stick

Wow a 4 tank dive one day.:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

jet126
04-18-2009, 22:53
Holy Guacamole guys. I turn my back for two seconds and this whole thread is out of control! All this and I still have not taken my UW camera out of the box. Did I tell you when I was in the VI's over Christmas I "lost" my cheap disposable? One minute I had it, the next it was gone. I have to get over the whole camera-task-overload-thing or the muck stick is a moot point.

azdiver
05-05-2009, 20:52
Wow a 4 tank dive one day. Wasn't you who told me you turned the AC off at night.

Did I tell you that we also get free soda, free wifi and free laundry all things you have to pay extra for. Not to mention night boat dives. Damn all those extras for less money and friend to dive with. No wonder you are jealous.

Unlike you I befriend many people when I go on my dive trips...so I have no worries.....And you have the years confused....in October 08 it was very comfortable at nite....in December 07....HOT..HOT....but I read you can shower before bedtime and wrap yourself in a wet sheet with a fan over you...to survive:smilie39:...and I have free Wifi also!

According to the website the wifi ain't free. Are you stealing it? I'm telling Danny. But what about the laundry and soda dude? Are you gonna steal wifi in your smelly clothes and drink water?

I was there in Dec of 08 and I didn't need the AC at night so you and I both know you are full of it.

Wow 4 tank dives in one day :smilie39::smilie39:

As for befriending people. I've gone on other trips with people I've met have you?

OK... I couldn't resist chiming in

There's one thing you are forgetting Scott and that is the fact that I will be Chuck's dive buddy. :smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

And Chuck... I guess I'll just have to remind you to hit the liquor store in at Singapore airport on the way there so we can toast Scott. :smilie39::smilie39:

As for Larry...I got to dive with him in the early 90's when he was the captain of the Cehili and I did an exploration/fam trip throughout the Lucipera Islands in the Banda Sea:smilie40:

chinacat46
05-06-2009, 07:08
Linda don't get him started again. He thinks we should pay double so we could have AC we turn off at night. BTW I've dove with Larry as well. Seems Scott is the only one who hasn't and yet he makes the biggest noise about Larry.

azdiver
05-06-2009, 18:41
Linda don't get him started again. He thinks we should pay double so we could have AC we turn off at night. BTW I've dove with Larry as well. Seems Scott is the only one who hasn't and yet he makes the biggest noise about Larry.

Guess we might have to take a dive trip with Scott next year just he can say that he dove with people that dove with Larry! :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Back to the muck stick... the one I have is steel and I have been thinking about finding a local place that sells fiberglass rods and making a new lighter one. Either that or get a longer steel rod with a smaller diameter. Either way I think it would be easy to to a DIY one and I definitely am not the Mac Gyver type so if I can figure out how to make one you should too. :smiley20::smiley20:

chinacat46
05-06-2009, 18:58

Guess we might have to take a dive trip with Scott next year just he can say that he dove with people that have dove with Larry! :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Back to the muck stick... the one I have is steel and I have been thinking about finding a local place that sells fiberglass rods and making a new lighter one. Either that or get a longer steel rod with a smaller diameter. Either way I think it would be easy to to a DIY one and I definitely am not the Mac Gyver type so if I can figure out how to make one you should too. :smiley20::smiley20:

Well he has dove with DM's who were trained by Larry so he has already dove with people who have dove with him.

I'm perfectly happy with my current muck stick. I got mine at Lembeh Resort for $10. How much cheaper could it be to make one? One of my LDS has them for $15. They call them reef savers.

CompuDude
05-06-2009, 19:20
I have a nice one with an integrated rattle I picked up in Thailand. But at some point I want to buy a handle and figure out how to turn a 1' Titanium rod I have into a muck stick.

The neatest muck sticks I've seen (although the price is very high) are the Reed's Rods (http://www.twotankedproductions.com/equipmentsalesrental/equipmentsales.html).

chinacat46
05-06-2009, 19:43
Mine doesn't have a rattle but I can use it to bang my tank. ROR

allison finch
05-16-2009, 20:54
I make muck sticks. I got a metal one in Lembeh, but it is heavy. I came home and started making them out of fiberglass with a lanyard. I have sold quite a few of them to divers going to Indonesia and, recently, took a bunch to PNG with me.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2359/2114262034_c642ca3a1a_o.jpg

And no, they are not just for people with poor bouyancy skills. They are great for underwater photographers. You can use them to hold your position in currents and surges. You can use it to position yourself and keep in one place. This keeps you from kicking to maintain your position. Especially important when your entire focus is trying to look through that camera viewfinder.

Travelnsj
05-16-2009, 21:00
So how much are they? and how do you buy one?

CompuDude
05-16-2009, 23:43
I make muck sticks. I got a metal one in Lembeh, but it is heavy. I came home and started making them out of fiberglass with a lanyard. I have sold quite a few of them to divers going to Indonesia and, recently, took a bunch to PNG with me.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2359/2114262034_c642ca3a1a_o.jpg

And no, they are not just for people with poor bouyancy skills. They are great for underwater photographers. You can use them to hold your position in currents and surges. You can use it to position yourself and keep in one place. This keeps you from kicking to maintain your position. Especially important when your entire focus is trying to look through that camera viewfinder.

I wouldn't mind hearing more about this, as well...

cruzan
05-17-2009, 06:44
There's a special stick you can buy? Here mhy husband has been saving chopsticks. He missed a great opportunity to spend money on diving:smiley36:

jet126
06-04-2009, 09:20
Ok. I'm diving Blue Heron Bridge this Monday. Its extremely shallow (12' at high tide) and tons of bristle worms on the bottom. But amazing critters: last time there we saw a frogfish, 3 octopus and a batfish at 2:30 on a Saturday afternoon! I'm bringing a long aluminum knitting needle - as a muck stick "test drive." I'll let you know how it works.

azdiver
06-04-2009, 18:10
Ok. I'm diving Blue Heron Bridge this Monday. Its extremely shallow (12' at high tide) and tons of bristle worms on the bottom. But amazing critters: last time there we saw a frogfish, 3 octopus and a batfish at 2:30 on a Saturday afternoon! I'm bringing a long aluminum knitting needle - as a muck stick "test drive." I'll let you know how it works.

Will be waiting to hear how the knitting needle works out. My muck stick is made of heavy steel. I have one being made to order for me at Divers Lodge in Lembeh but have a feeling that will be a steel one as well. Would be nice to have one that isn't so heavy for packing purposes.

chilly willy
06-04-2009, 18:14

Will be waiting to hear how the knitting needle works out. My muck stick is made of heavy steel. I have one being made to order for me at Divers Lodge in Lembeh but have a feeling that will be a steel one as well. Would be nice to have one that isn't so heavy for packing purposes.

Try using the top half of a fishing pole with the eyes removed, cheap and easy.

azdiver
06-04-2009, 18:23

Hmmmm....it would probably cost more for the pole than buying a fiberglass one for $25 :smilie40:

DevilDiver
06-04-2009, 20:48
You could give ths a shot as well... Aluminum so it should be fine in saltwater, has lanyard hole for bungie and/or clip, light weight and cheap ($2.50).

It's 8" witch I like because I do not want some thing to long and have to deal with it getting in the way. I figure I can some kind of sleeve our of intertube and attach to the bottom of my plate or up the side so it can be stored when mot needed.

I would like to figure some way to use as a monopod for my camera kit.

I have a trip to Roatan booked in August, thinking about picking one up and giving it a try. Any thoughts...........

Easton Aluminum Tent Stake with Cord at REI.com (http://www.rei.com/product/358201)

http://media.rei.com/media/358201Lrg.jpg (http://www.rei.com/features/zoom.html?img440=/media/358201Lrg%26style=358201%26sku=3582010017&imageServiceHost=http://www.rei.com/&productInfoServiceHost=http://www.rei.com/&TB_iframe=true&height=513&width=700)

Easton Aluminum Tent Stake with Cord

Item # 358201
$2.50

chilly willy
06-04-2009, 21:52

Hmmmm....it would probably cost more for the pole than buying a fiberglass one for $25 :smilie40:
Junk fishing poles at yard sales a couple bucks.

jet126
06-05-2009, 06:08
A long tent stake! Didn't even think of that! I work next door to an Outdoor World. I'll pop in today on my lunch hour.
As far as fishing rods: aren't most too flexible?
Chuck - I know you said we can buy in Lembeh but I want to field test something before I go.
I'll post results Monday afternoon.

chilly willy
06-05-2009, 20:40
A long tent stake! Didn't even think of that! I work next door to an Outdoor World. I'll pop in today on my lunch hour.
As far as fishing rods: aren't most too flexible?
Chuck - I know you said we can buy in Lembeh but I want to field test something before I go.
I'll post results Monday afternoon.
An old one piece boat pole cut to length is plenty strong enough, or you can even use a piece of collapsible dome tent pole.

jet126
06-08-2009, 20:40
Dove Blue Heron Bridge this morning. The current was tugging hard - any time you stopped kicking it threatened to pull into the boat channel. I brought along the knitting needle & tent stake for my muck stick field test. The knitting needle was hard plastic, thick as my index finger, 99 cents for a pair. It was crap - too flexible for the current. The tent stake was $1.97, 10" aluminum. I weighed it: 1.5 oz. It worked great! It already had the hole for a wrist cord and a nice flat top for resting your hand. In fact, my dive buddy, a professional underwater videographer, wants one. It sunk about 1/2 way into the "muck" but held firm and steady for picture taking in bouncy current.

chinacat46
06-08-2009, 22:32
Joanie sounds good but to me 10" is a bit short. Mine is about 15" and that seems to be just about right for me.

Travelnsj
06-08-2009, 22:43
Joanie sounds good but to me 10" is a bit short. Mine is about 15" and that seems to be just about right for me.

In your dreams:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

DevilDiver
06-08-2009, 23:23

In your dreams:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Sounds like it's not about the size of the (muck) stick but the motion in the ocean.....:smiley36:

Glad to hear the tent stake worked out. How do you carry it when not using?
I was thinking of some kind of way to mount it to my plate until needed.........

jet126
06-09-2009, 05:15
If we can focus for a second and be serious about length:

Chuck why 15"? Do you sink that much in the Lembeh muck? The tent stake definitely helped in the current yesterday so if length is that important I'll buy a 15" at the resort once I get there. At least now I've tried it.

DD - I used a piece of tubing for my wrist cord - when not using I clipped to my bc. This works for shore diving - not sure about a 10" spike when you're giant-striding off a boat. Still fine tuning the technique.

chinacat46
06-09-2009, 07:09
If we can focus for a second and be serious about length:

Chuck why 15"? Do you sink that much in the Lembeh muck? The tent stake definitely helped in the current yesterday so if length is that important I'll buy a 15" at the resort once I get there. At least now I've tried it.

DD - I used a piece of tubing for my wrist cord - when not using I clipped to my bc. This works for shore diving - not sure about a 10" spike when you're giant-striding off a boat. Still fine tuning the technique.

You do sink a lot in the Lembeh muck but maybe 10 is good enough for you I prefer a longer stick. Give it a try and if it doesn't work you can get the longer one. It's not like it is gonna put you over the baggage limit.

I use mine clipped to my BC and it isn't problem either giant striding or back rolling. Most of the dives in Lembeh were back rolls but I've use it in other areas where we did the giant stride. It's really a non issue.

Travelnsj
06-09-2009, 09:46
Mine is 13" and is perfect for me....and is on a retractor clipped to my BC.

chinacat46
06-09-2009, 10:44
I just actually measured my stick and it's 16" from tip to the top of the loop. When I said I use mine clipped to the BC I only meant for entry. I have a wrist laynard I use when diving.

jet126
06-11-2009, 14:18
I don't want to get all esoteric on everyone but I was explaining the whole muck stick field test thing to my non-diving friend up north and this was his response:

I am in constant search - my whole life - for great muck sticks. Something to get a little steadiness by in all the currents... Seems my muck sticks are pretty simple:

- my dogs
- my wife
- my friends and family
- my books

I tell him he'd make a great preacher or teacher but he is, in fact, a tavern owner. Which is also very fitting.

Just thought it worth sharing!

azdiver
06-11-2009, 16:34
I don't want to get all esoteric on everyone but I was explaining the whole muck stick field test thing to my non-diving friend up north and this was his response:

I am in constant search - my whole life - for great muck sticks. Something to get a little steadiness by in all the currents... Seems my muck sticks are pretty simple:

- my dogs
- my wife
- my friends and family
- my books

I tell him he'd make a great preacher or teacher but he is, in fact, a tavern owner. Which is also very fitting.

Just thought it worth sharing!

With a philosophy like that, if he didn't own the tavern he had to at least work behind the bar. :smiley36:

CompuDude
06-12-2009, 16:42
After my trip to Bali, I definitely want a new/different/better muck stick. Mine is a little too short (10-12", I can't recall) and I'd prefer one a bit beefier.

A 12" muck stick is the bare minimum, IMO... if there is any current running. Soft sand, especially the fine silty kinds you get at a number of muck diving spots, will easily soak in 6" of muck stick before it gains real purchase. And thin aluminum or plastic don't cut it at all... they'll bend or snap in any real current. Ditto for fiberglass tent poles... if all you want is to steady yourself in a lake, sure, but in the ocean where currents can be severe, you're just waiting to snap it in half (I assume the fiberglass rod used in Allison's sticks is much more heavy duty than a tent pole). The tent stake looks sturdy enough, but only if the short length is sufficient for all needs. Make that sucker 4-6" longer and it'll bend with any real strain on it.

The best muck sticks I've seen are these two (price is pretty absurd, though):

Pokie Stick (http://www.pokiestick.com/) (my buddy brought one of these on our trip)
Reed's Rod (http://www.twotankedproductions.com/equipmentsalesrental/equipmentsales.html) (note to DD, this has a monopod attachment)

Variations on the "pokie stick" were used by every one of our guides in Bali, and sold in most of the dive shops we saw, in lengths from 14-24". Constructed from fairly thick SS rods. They tended to have them on retractors, and dove with them in their hands all the time. Their needs are different from mine, however... I'm still working on optimal methods.

chinacat46
06-12-2009, 17:03
The ones they sell at Lembeh Resort vary in size but run around 15" and are $10. I've had mine since Feb of 2007 and used it all over including heavy currents. The two compdude is showing are way overpriced. My LDS sells one similar to mine a ss rod about 15". They sell them for $15 but they are having a sale this weekend and everything in the store is at least 10% off. So probably only $13.50 plus tax.

Travelnsj
06-12-2009, 17:14
I'll have to pick up an extra one when I'm at Lembeh Resort never looked around the shop that much....thus did not notice them...thanks for the info.

chinacat46
06-12-2009, 17:16
Well for you and Joanie they are right in the front case when you walk into the dive shop. Don't remember if it was the top or bottom shelf though.

CompuDude
06-12-2009, 17:46
The ones they sell at Lembeh Resort vary in size but run around 15" and are $10. I've had mine since Feb of 2007 and used it all over including heavy currents. The two compdude is showing are way overpriced. My LDS sells one similar to mine a ss rod about 15". They sell them for $15 but they are having a sale this weekend and everything in the store is at least 10% off. So probably only $13.50 plus tax.

I agree they're spendy (and said so), but (a) no one else makes anything like the Reed's Rod's, and (b) if you have a better source ONLINE for the pointy stick variety, I'd like to see it... but I listed the two options above mostly because they're the only ones I've come across online, based here in the states ($1k+ tickets to Indonesia add a bit to the cost of the cheap $10 ones!).

chinacat46
06-12-2009, 18:17
Well my lds has them for $15(13.50 this weekend) but they don't sell online. They do have a website but the muck sticks aren't on it. The website is: Welcome to Ocean First Divers (http://www.oceanfirstdivers.com/) You could probably email them if you really want one. They call them reef savers but I'm sure if you said muck stick they would know what you are talking about.

BTW if you know where I can get a RT tix to Manado for $1000 I will buy you 2 muck sticks and mail them to you as well. My only restriction is I don't want to fly on Air Asia or any Indonesian airline.

Travelnsj
06-12-2009, 18:37
I agree they're spendy (and said so), but (a) no one else makes anything like the Reed's Rod's, and (b) if you have a better source ONLINE for the pointy stick variety, I'd like to see it... but I listed the two options above mostly because they're the only ones I've come across online, based here in the states ($1k+ tickets to Indonesia add a bit to the cost of the cheap $10 ones!).

But it is worth every dime going there to get one....And use it:smiley20:

azdiver
06-12-2009, 18:47
[quote=CompuDude;305377]

But it is worth every dime going there to get one....And use it:smiley20:

Guess I'll have to let you know on 1/4/10 when I get back from there! :smiley9:

Have already put in an order for 2 of them.... one for me and one for Chuck. They custom make them at Divers Lodge, I guess, because they asked me how long I wanted them to be!!

CompuDude
06-12-2009, 18:57
BTW if you know where I can get a RT tix to Manado for $1000 I will buy you 2 muck sticks and mail them to you as well. My only restriction is I don't want to fly on Air Asia or any Indonesian airline.

My Bali tix were $1050 on Cathay Pacific. *shrug* Just gotta keep an eye out. Had I bought a week earlier, I would have saved $100.

jet126
06-12-2009, 19:57
It looks like I should buy the $10 ones at the resort after all. I'm thinking I need more length than 10". I will post a trip report when I get back of course - and will definitely include something about my muck stick experience.

Chuck - where and when are you going again?

chinacat46
06-12-2009, 20:43

My Bali tix were $1050 on Cathay Pacific. *shrug* Just gotta keep an eye out. Had I bought a week earlier, I would have saved $100.

Sounds like a great deal but I said Manado not Bali. Tougher place to get to. I'll make it easier though the flight can be from LAX not DEN.

chinacat46
06-12-2009, 20:45
It looks like I should buy the $10 ones at the resort after all. I'm thinking I need more length than 10". I will post a trip report when I get back of course - and will definitely include something about my muck stick experience.

Chuck - where and when are you going again?

I'm heading back in December with azdiver we will be staying at Diver's Lodge Lembeh.

When are you guys going? Pretty soon isn't it?

Splitlip
06-12-2009, 21:06
OMG. :) I just googled muck stick! 24 bucks on line!!

Go to a garage sale and buy sombody's old fiberglass pole spear. Or broken fishing pole (add key ring and surgical tube).

azdiver
06-12-2009, 22:02
Hmmmm.... maybe I should look into putting a muck stick trip together for the people on this thread. :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Since I like to explore different places and am going to Lembeh in December, how about some trip suggestions for a different area...

Travelnsj
06-12-2009, 23:44
Hmmmm.... maybe I should look into putting a muck stick trip together for the people on this thread. :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Since I like to explore different places and am going to Lembeh in December, how about some trip suggestions for a different area...

East Timor, Raja Ampat (Papua area), Christmas Island (Kiritimati)....all excellent diving....have you been to Palau or Bali?

CompuDude
06-13-2009, 01:15

Yes, please! :smiley20:

Travelnsj
06-13-2009, 01:43

Yes, please! :smiley20:

You'll have to spend more time in the Western and South Pacific!

azdiver....forgot Rangiora and Fakarava....also excellent diving...big stuff only...but lots of it.

jet126
06-13-2009, 06:48
I fly out of Miami July 11. I'm busy loading up my ipod for that 20-hour flight.

Took your and Scott's advice: staying in the transit hotel in SIN on Sunday night as we have an 8 hour layover. Flying home we're staying off airport: our flight lands at 5:00pm so we have the whole evening to play. I recently found out an old h.s. friend is living in SIN so we may meet up with him for dinner.

Another quick question: the nature hike to see the monkeys. Worth it? And can we do that Friday afternoon if we're diving Friday morning?

Splitlip: We have fishing rods out the wa-zoo at my work. I may try that too as it will be easy to put one together.

chinacat46
06-13-2009, 07:53
Linda how about the Maldives or the Seychelles? I'd go to either of those. :-). Or the Philippines or the eastern fields of PNG?

Joanie I've never done the monkey tour so I can't help you. Write to Lembeh Resort and ask them. If you don't get a response let me know and I'll send you Danny's email one of the owners. I usually get a massage after I'm done diving and then relax.

Travelnsj
06-13-2009, 09:41
Linda...there is an LOB i'll do.....Eastern Fields:smiley20:.... but Craig usually does a 10 to 14 day trips if you book it we could do a 7 day trip and then somewhere like Walindi for 7 days.....I'll be there:smiley20:

Joanie....make sure when in Singapore do the wheel and down to the Boat Quay....for the Chili Crab:smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:....best dinner ever!

azdiver
06-13-2009, 10:54
To all that are interested in a muck stick group dive trip.... how does a 2 week trip over Christmas 2010 with a new year's eve party to welcome 2011 in sound??

That would give me plenty of time to poll for a destination and put something together... and work on good pricing!! :smiley20::smiley20:

For anyone that is interested, send me a pm and let me know where you would like to go for the trip. I will start out a new thread next week and go from there... I don't want to hijack this thread! :smiley2::smiley2:

PS>> I have been wanting to head to the Maldives and Seychelles for quite some time now... but can be talked into going to PNG or just about anyplace else as long as it's not in the Caribbean!!!!!

Travelnsj
06-13-2009, 11:13
I would pass on the Seychelles and the Maldives.....but PNG and the Eastern Fields as long as it is a 7 day LOB....I'm there!

chinacat46
06-13-2009, 12:06
Well if it is for the purpose of muck diving I'd vote for Anilao in the Philippines or Ambon in Indonesia. If we did Anilao we could spend part of the time in Puerto Galera which is just an hour boat ride away and has some good diving.

Travelnsj
06-13-2009, 12:14
Ambon I'd vote for along with Raja Ampat...perhaps the Antares will be up and running by then.....Philippines will have "Cool" waters that time of the year and Puerto Galera...well that will chase me away!

chinacat46
06-13-2009, 12:29
Ambon I'd vote for along with Raja Ampat...perhaps the Antares will be up and running by then.....Philippines will have "Cool" waters that time of the year and Puerto Galera...well that will chase me away!

Well in that case I vote for Anilao :smiley36:.

jet126
06-13-2009, 16:47
Scott - The wheel and Boat Quay are on the agenda!

I sent an email to another guy about the monkey tour. He did go and even brought peanuts along to feed the monkeys. Believe me, I checked for all limbs when he told me THAT story.

I may be up for something Christmas 2010. But that time of year I'd have to bring the hubby along.

chinacat46
06-13-2009, 16:53

If the Antares isn't up and running by Dec of 2010 then will it ever be?

Travelnsj
06-13-2009, 17:41

I sent an email to another guy about the monkey tour. He did go and even brought peanuts along to feed the monkeys. Believe me, I checked for all limbs when he told me THAT story.

I may be up for something Christmas 2010. But that time of year I'd have to bring the hubby along.

Where is the Monkey tour?...I maybe interested in that.

He said in Jan 08 it would (maybe) be running by Dec 09....In October 08 he said the rebuilding was slowed down because of the recession...but should be up and running by Dec 09....I figure by 2010 it should be a go....perhaps I can get a deal for the group that is going on an initial booking:smiley20:....Too bad you will be in Anilao:smiley36:

chinacat46
06-13-2009, 19:01

Where is the Monkey tour?...I maybe interested in that.

He said in Jan 08 it would (maybe) be running by Dec 09....In October 08 he said the rebuilding was slowed down because of the recession...but should be up and running by Dec 09....I figure by 2010 it should be a go....perhaps I can get a deal for the group that is going on an initial booking:smiley20:....Too bad you will be in Anilao:smiley36:

No worries. I don't think I would want to be onboard to watch you get seasick :smiley11: :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

jet126
06-14-2009, 06:32
Scott - here's the link on the Lembeh Resort website:

Tours Tangkoko Nature Reserve Tarsius Lembeh Sulawesi (http://www.lembehresort.com/tours_excursions_tangkoko_nature_reserve_t7.html)

My friend said it was really cool - got to see tons of the little ones. He lost his peanuts to the macaques, which are much larger and can be mean. Lucky that's all he lost!

CompuDude
06-15-2009, 14:43
We had a great time with the monkeys in Bali (Ubud), but we went there before it opened and got to see a lot of things we'd have missed once the tourists roll in. (Free, too!) I've heard they can be pretty aggressive if you bring in food, however, so be careful!

As for a trip, I'd like to say I'm in, but I doubt the wife will allow me to take another exotic dive vacation without her, and unless things change drastically, I doubt we'll have enough for two in the budget. And even if we did, she's strictly shore diving. VIOLENTLY sea sick. I should have bolded that word.

Travelnsj
06-15-2009, 14:57
We had a great time with the monkeys in Bali (Ubud), but we went there before it opened and got to see a lot of things we'd have missed once the tourists roll in. (Free, too!) I've heard they can be pretty aggressive if you bring in food, however, so be careful!

As for a trip, I'd like to say I'm in, but I doubt the wife will allow me to take another exotic dive vacation without her, and unless things change drastically, I doubt we'll have enough for two in the budget. And even if we did, she's strictly shore diving. VIOLENTLY sea sick. I should have bolded that word.

The Monkeys in Ubud are fun....I had to chase one down to get my Sunglasses back.

As for another trip...bring your wife and when you go out to Nusa Penida I'll go shore diving with her....I feel her pain!

azdiver
06-15-2009, 17:41

The Monkeys in Ubud are fun....I had to chase one down to get my Sunglasses back.

As for another trip...bring your wife and when you go out to Nusa Penida I'll go shore diving with her....I feel her pain!

I prefer doing land based diving (not to be confused with shore diving unless I have a sherpa to carry my gear :smilie39:) over a live aboard as well.

azdiver
06-15-2009, 18:01
Here it is.... a muck stick group trip thread!!

http://forum.scubatoys.com/trips-travel/24266-muck-stick-group-trip.html#post306024