PDA

View Full Version : GEO glitch

puppet27
04-18-2009, 16:18
i have been experiencing a problem with my Geo when conducting multiple dives over serveral days. what happens is it switches from sea level to EL2 after a few dives even though i havent asended more than 5mtrs above sea level, ie Truk. it greatly reduces my non deco times and have had to do over 20mins extra deco than my buddy diving the same profile to keep out of violation.
has anyone else experienced this with a GEO?

CWSWine
04-18-2009, 18:57
Yes, mine went to AL4000 during trip to Playa de Carmen. I was told it is a known problem and easy fix but it needs to be sent in to Aires. I talk to ST and of coarse they said they would take care of it for me.

Lj82
04-18-2009, 23:20
This is the first time I heard of it. I've not had a problem with my Geo yet.
Did they mention that it was a specific batch that had this problem?

I Like 2 Dive
04-19-2009, 14:38
i have been experiencing a problem with my Geo when conducting multiple dives over serveral days. what happens is it switches from sea level to EL2 after a few dives even though i havent asended more than 5mtrs above sea level, ie Truk. it greatly reduces my non deco times and have had to do over 20mins extra deco than my buddy diving the same profile to keep out of violation.

Is this the new generation GEO (usually retails around $400) or an older model?

CWSWine
04-19-2009, 15:46

Is this the new generation GEO (usually retails around $400) or an older model?

Mine is the new generation purchased in Jan 09 from ST for 399.99.

Lulubelle
04-19-2009, 16:16
I had a glitch in my first one, one of the newer generation ones, where the "replace battery" indicator would flash somewhat randomly even when fresh batteries had just been inserted. It did this while I was on my liveaboard and I wore a redundant computer for the rest of the trip.

Mine has been replaced as of February 2009 from ST but has not been in the water yet.

I'd like to know if there is a batch with "issues" myself. I like the interface of this computer and hope that it will be dependable.

mitsuguy
04-19-2009, 19:26
every once in a while, mine will say EL2, but it doesn't reduce my dive time allowances any noticeable amount...

20 minutes extra deco time? you realize it isn't a deco computer right? any data you get from it under decompression should be completely backed up by tables...

at 1000-2000 feet above sea level, there is not a huge difference in theoretical depth...

most of the time, the reason it shows EL2 on mine are days that the barometric pressure drops...

not gonna get into the math here, but if you were to do it, you would find that as barometric pressure drops, it is a similar pressure drop as you would find going to above sea level...

Vlane
04-20-2009, 01:15
I haven't had a chance, sadly, to dive my GEO yet but it was displaying EL2 for about 2 days at one point. Called Oceanic and it turns out it was from a weather system that was moving in. Sure enough after the storm had passed it reverted back to normal. Most likely not the issue with yours but i would give them a call.

puppet27
04-20-2009, 22:23
thanks for the feedback, i purchased mine back in march08 so is an older unit and have only had the el2 issue with it. considering the locations it has occured in weather was on the unstable side but i wouldn't of thought this would affect the geo.

Vlane
04-21-2009, 01:15
thanks for the feedback, i purchased mine back in march08 so is an older unit and have only had the el2 issue with it. considering the locations it has occured in weather was on the unstable side but i wouldn't of thought this would affect the geo.
Yea, according to the GEO rep it bases the measurement of elevation based off air pressure (barometric?) and as systems move in/out pressure can change.

Draq
04-24-2009, 17:00
I believe there is a firmware update for this, but you have to send it back to Aeris. Be sure to download any dives you want to store before sending it in.

puppet27
04-26-2009, 07:23
had the problem over the last few days with very stable weather conditions so i dont think atmospheric presure is to blame, have also spoken to vt3 users who have experienced the same issue. will have to chase the firmware update, just might be difficult as i bought it os.