PDA

View Full Version : Halcyon Evolve vs Explorer BC/Wings?

Diving Jayhawk
04-21-2009, 03:32
Anyone have an opinion?

navyhmc
04-21-2009, 06:07
Can't give anything on Halcyon. Dive Rite and OMS, yes but not H. I like the looks, but haven't dove them yet.

Rileybri
04-21-2009, 08:37
Anyone have an opinion?

ya my opinion is that they are VERY expensive! Cant say how they dive as I use an Oxy Check. My LDS is a H dealer and although I drool over the fancy blue H webbing it was way out of my tax bracket!:smiley2:

:smilie40:

Diving Jayhawk
04-23-2009, 01:37
I actually own a transpac2/superwing set from DiveRite, but I was just checking out straight backplate/harness combos and maybe a smaller wing

Gombessa
04-23-2009, 01:50
The evolve is a newer design, and donuts have some minor advantages, including the fact that they're a bit easier to get all the gas out when using the OPV. Also, the highest point of the evolve is in the middle of the wing (closer to the diver's head) which makes them a bit better for topheavy doubles.

The Explorer is a classic horseshoe, and I'm not a big fan of it because (1) 55lb is a bit big for smaller doubles (even with stages), and the OPV is placed such that it's hard to get all the gas out unless you can wrap your hand around the top and push it below the OPV while dumping. Most of the lift is at the bottom too, which isn't really where it needs to be with a lot of doubles.

Shala
05-18-2009, 23:40
Anyone have an opinion?

You know what I think baby! They are both sexy. Soon you'll come to the dark side with me...the force is strong!

KennyD
06-04-2009, 20:42
Steve,
Give me a call. I own both a 60lb. Evolve and a 55lb. Explorer made by Halcyon. There are pro's and con's to both.

Kenny

KennyD
06-04-2009, 23:17
The Evo gets a little tricky when you use a stage and tends to put more push on you when you go head down. The air bubble goes all the way to the back of the bladder pretty quick. Unlike the explorer where it stops and you may have a uneven lift on one side or the other. And sometimes this is a good thing using the explorer.

Splitlip
06-04-2009, 23:33
I am a donut fan. Lower profile and easier gas management. Evolve.

Splitlip
06-04-2009, 23:35
Anyone have an opinion?

You know what I think baby! They are both sexy. Soon you'll come to the dark side with me...the force is strong!

Oh man! You're breakin' my heart. LOL.