PDA

View Full Version : forum limit on number pics, increase it?

mike_s
04-21-2009, 09:40
I noticed there is a forum limit on the number of pics (10 pics) using the [IMG] tags.

any thoughts on increasing this? say to 16 or 20?

I don't see how this would add any extra server bandwidth as using the [IMG] tags are typically for external sites not hosted by this server.

Mike

CompuDude
04-21-2009, 09:52
10 pics per post is already quite a few more than most other dive sites.

Just sayin'. I assume there is some reason why they tend to keep it low. Usually not a really big deal to break into multiple posts, on the rare occasion you need more, like extensive trip reports.

CompuDude
04-21-2009, 10:18
That's a pretty good idea, actually, although I don't know if there is an easy way to set something like that in the vbulletin software. Been a while since I played with it.

waytooslow
04-21-2009, 10:51
......But back to your question. They decided it takes the same bandwidth to load it from a remote site as it does here.
User reads forum, see picture
Forum drags picture from remote site
forum displays said picture to user

Why do you think it slows the forums down when these offsite images are down, or the remote site is slow.

.......thanks
TB.

really - wow that is odd. must be a vBulletin thng?

I don't see those issues in my forums (php based) - so far. as it is inline image code - image is pulled from external server. Just renedered by browser as in actual post. Hence why you see the dreaded red "x" sometimes.

But keep up the good work :smiley20:. it is appreciated for sure.

TommyB
04-21-2009, 11:02
......But back to your question. They decided it takes the same bandwidth to load it from a remote site as it does here.
User reads forum, see picture
Forum drags picture from remote site
forum displays said picture to user

Why do you think it slows the forums down when these offsite images are down, or the remote site is slow.

.......thanks
TB.

really - wow that is odd. must be a vBulletin thng?
I don't see those issues in my forums (php based) - so far. as it is inline image code - image is pulled from external server. Just renedered by browser as in actual post. Hence why you see the dreaded red "x" sometimes.

But keep up the good work :smiley20:. it is appreciated for sure.

This is linux / php.. I just use htaccess and vbseo to change the top url for seach engines :)
If you turn on the status, so the it shows the loading ---loading at the bottom of you browser you'll see what I'm talking about. Might be a FF thing but on many forums you can actually see where remote images are being loading from by looking at the status in the bottom of your browser.
If you can see where they are being loaded remotely from, then forums are taking to long to load to the users browser..

mike_s
04-23-2009, 15:17
got bit by this issue again today posting Vandenberg pics.....

couldn't post more than 10 pics.... :(

http://forum.scubatoys.com/southeast-florida/22856-vandenberg-its-way.html#post292661

TommyB
04-23-2009, 15:24
That's the limit per post 10.
Just like 5 smilies per post
x amount of attachements etc.

mike_s
04-23-2009, 15:29
what about discussion of increasing it?

CompuDude
04-23-2009, 17:20
Mike, just add to be continued and post the next 10 in the next post. Not a big deal.

Defman
04-23-2009, 19:12
Mike, just add to be continued and post the next 10 in the next post. Not a big deal.

+1. After your first post, do a reply to get a place holder immediately after your first post for the next set of pic's, then go back and edit the reply to add your additional pic's.

TommyB
04-23-2009, 23:07
what about discussion of increasing it?

I thought we did

That's the limit per post 10.
Just like 5 smilies per post
x amount of attachements etc.

Main reason =

Longer Download Times . Telling a web browser to draw files from multiple servers can make our forum pages take ages to load. When you link to servers other than this forum, web browsers have to waste time that could have been spent downloading this page, looking for the new server. This can really slow down or even halt the loading time of own web page / forum.